Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The worst part about wow at this point is that they keep leaning on sylvanas leading the horde even though she won't stop doing war crimes and genocide, which after the time she nuked the horde to make more undead you figure they would have something to say but I guess not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Andrast posted:

Any MMO story that doesn't treat the players as insane murderhobos who just want loot is doing it wrong imo

It is explicitly canon in final fantasy XIV that the adventurers guild was founded because people were terrified of what would happen if heavily armed adventurers were just allowed to roam the countryside without direction. FFXIV has a good main story but it really shines with the side quest and incidental lore, which is loving hilarious and is extremely aware of MMO culture. One of the story arcs rolled out after the last big expansion, which involved you liberating two separate countries from the rule of an evil empire, was one of your early-story adventuring buddies dropping in and saying hey, all this heroic nation building and god-slaying is cool and all, but you know what would be fun and we don't get to do anymore? Fuckin raiding some tombs, bro.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Grapplejack posted:

The worst part about wow at this point is that they keep leaning on sylvanas leading the horde even though she won't stop doing war crimes and genocide, which after the time she nuked the horde to make more undead you figure they would have something to say but I guess not

Blizzards in kind of a catch-22 situation where they really want her to be evil but she is/was also extremely popular among the fanbase so they can't just write her out of the plot.

It doesn't help that she is also one of the only major female characters in the game (and, until fairly recently, the only one in the Horde) and killing her off would look, uh, very bad to say the least. You could argue that the recent war crimes poo poo surrounding her was Blizzards way of trying to settle players into the idea of hating her enough that they can get away with it without too much controversy but that's getting into conspiracy theory poo poo and the more likely answer is that WoW's writers really are just that incompetent.

To be honest I actually really like BfA's plot for the most part, it probably has some of the best writing WoW has had in years. Jaina finally gets some much needed development and all the stuff I've heard about Zandalar makes it sound really cool. But the actual gameplay is a complete disaster and the way they treated WoD, both during and after the fact, makes me doubtful that any of those plots will ever get touched on again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

It's not. You've just heard that from people who really enjoy building their 500th Paladin off a decade-stale template to exacting specifications in order to work around the demands of elemental resistances on Hell difficulty so that they can farm for items with literally one-in-one-trillion drop rates.

Also if you treat WoW as fantasy soap opera it's a ton of fun. If you treat it like Serious Lore Time it's just nonsense.

I don't think that's what they meant. What I was told was that the game hits its stride once you get to like Level 30 and have access to more skills, and are prepped to head into Nightmare. The character I was recommended to start with was the Sorceress, and one of the things I remembered hearing the Sorceress could use to wreck tons of enemies was the Frozen Orb spell.

Dawgstar posted:

It's still amazing to me how given FFXIV started - in the words of a friend, the build wasn't so much pre-beta as pre-alpha - it's become my favorite MMO. Part of is tickling the nostalgia keys, like I do smile every time the Chocobo Theme kicks in, but honestly I think it's turned into a really solid and good game.

And one day I'll get past level 30.

I've thought about trying FF14, since it sounds like the game has a lot more to do compared to WOW (it sounds like all you can mostly do in WOW is smash enemies, whereas FF14 gives you jobs, in-game housing, etc.). Trade-off, though, is that in terms of aesthetics and character creation, WOW gives you a bevy of distinct, cartoony-looking races to pick from. With FF14, they just seem to blur together, save for the huge hulks and tiny gnomes.

SteelMentor posted:

WoW's big, overarching narratives have always been dumb comic-book event melodrama with nebulous stakes. The gold has been in the smaller scale stuff. Questlines, zones, dungeons. Any time they have to make up stuff whole cloth rather than lean on pre-established fluff they land on good poo poo.

I feel like that doesn't just apply to WOW, but a lot of games, where smaller, self-contained storylines end up being more engaging than the typical big 'save the world' plot.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Resetting the Horde into a cartoon villain faction would work out way better if it weren't for all the actual people who play characters in that faction. About the only way I can see WoW's story not getting stupider is if they drop the two separate factions for players thing and have everyone working toward a common goal. But that will likely never happen because as the devs/players love to say: "It's not World of PEACEcraft."

The whole Sylvanas thing (from the little I gathered) made me think that maybe they'd have her splinter off into a separate (nonplayable) faction that the Alliance and Horde would team up to fight, then return to their normal opposition once that was settled (again though, I don't all the details of everything that happened, and it sounds like that's what Blizzard does usually).

Alternatively, they could shake things up massively by dissolving the Alliance and Horde, and opening up a system where you make your character independent of what faction you join (like they did with the Pandaren).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Humans look exactly like the race of people with cat ears, eyes and tails. Yes.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I've thought about trying FF14, since it sounds like the game has a lot more to do compared to WOW (it sounds like all you can mostly do in WOW is smash enemies, whereas FF14 gives you jobs, in-game housing, etc.). Trade-off, though, is that in terms of aesthetics and character creation, WOW gives you a bevy of distinct, cartoony-looking races to pick from. With FF14, they just seem to blur together, save for the huge hulks and tiny gnomes.

To be 100% honest I would actually try to get into XIV again if they went hard and introduced playable Hypellos or some poo poo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Humans look exactly like the race of people with cat ears, eyes and tails. Yes.

Well, kind of

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

i mean wow gives you a lot of distinct cartoon races if you play a male character, otherwise you're "lady" or "green lady" or "lady with very small tusks" or "furry lady"; and even as a dude you're always ludicrously buff. it also has like, seven hairstyles and poo poo per race while ffxiv has dozens

ffxiv is better just by virtue of letting you be a buff lady or a cute dude, imo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dmboogie posted:

i mean wow gives you a lot of distinct cartoon races if you play a male character, otherwise you're "lady" or "green lady" or "lady with very small tusks" or "furry lady"; and even as a dude you're always ludicrously buff. it also has like, seven hairstyles and poo poo per race while ffxiv has dozens

ffxiv is better just by virtue of letting you be a buff lady or a cute dude, imo

Yeah, this. If you want to play a female character in WoW you can be Gnome, Panda, or Lady with varying skin colours. It's annoying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dmboogie posted:

I remember being amused at the draenei update that essentially just made female space goats curvier and I think maybe toned their abs.

AllmyFrench78
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hZoT6hQr4 Red Letter Media, does a joke video on Un-boxing with bootleg toys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Joke? They looked legit to me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Joke? They looked legit to me

Seems hosed up to announce Batman joining the Avengers on a RLM video, but I think Disney knows what they are doing.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Dawgstar posted:

I remember being amused at the draenei update that essentially just made female space goats curvier and I think maybe toned their abs.

Were the Draenei ladies not curvy enough already? Blizzard horny has no limits.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

Were the Draenei ladies not curvy enough already? Blizzard horny has no limits.

It was just the start, then Overwatch came around.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Leal posted:

It was just the start, then Overwatch came around.
Least OW recently made the men happy with Daddy76 becoming a canon Daddy.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Pfft, 76 is a bottom.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

FoldableHuman posted:

Pfft, 76 is a bottom.

Wait is this the Overwatch character or the Fallout MMO?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FoldableHuman posted:

Pfft, 76 is a bottom.
Agreed, he is a powerbottom.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If you look at the tier list, 76 is clearly towards the bottom.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Leal posted:

Wait is this the Overwatch character or the Fallout MMO?

Yes

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

dmboogie posted:

FFXIV is better just by virtue of letting you be a buff lady or a cute dude, imo

Honestly even XIV is a fight to make a feminine/androgynous guy outside of lalafell, because their M/F can be super hard to tell apart which is cool though and one reason why I love them.

Really my greatest hope is that they do what they should with viera since they're coming up, big toned ladies, small soft dudes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Honestly even XIV is a fight to make a feminine/androgynous guy outside of lalafell, because their M/F can be super hard to tell apart which is cool though and one reason why I love them.

Really my greatest hope is that they do what they should with viera since they're coming up, big toned ladies, small soft dudes.

I wouldn't put any hope, with the early art for Au Ra I was expecting something like this

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowR85Vrm7I

Instead we got...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2GRpwwS8M

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

One of the downsides of FFXIV is they can and do often times pander to the anime crowd hardcore and all the tropes they love so. You need only look at the disparity between Au Ra males and females. One is the cool, tall anti-hero type and the other are tiny waifus. They stand out like a sore thumb in comparison to the other races.

If you want to make an androgynous/feminine character otherwise, catgirl boys do exist.

Edit: ^ Technically you get part of the first video - there are a lot of knee/thigh-high socks/boots in the game...

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 13, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

One of the downsides of FFXIV is they can and do often times pander to the anime crowd hardcore and all the tropes they love so. You need only look at the disparity between Au Ra males and females. One is the cool, tall anti-hero type and the other are tiny waifus. They stand out like a sore thumb in comparison to the other races.

If you want to make an androgynous/feminine character otherwise, catgirl boys do exist.

Catboys are the obvious ones, yes, but Elezen can also be pretty feminine. See also, much of the main cast in Heavensward.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Au Ra are an insanely dumb thing and Roes are basically either 'bara dude' or 'amazon lady' but the cats and elves and humans can have more androgynous features.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I for one am shocked FF would cater to anime crowds.
Considering it is an anime game series

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Andrast posted:

I was under the impression that the impression that super hero comics had been having a downturn for a long while now but after actually googling about it seems I might just be wrong

It depends a lot on where you start counting from, especially because 90s sales figures were driven heavily by unsustainable speculation.

There's also been a trend towards bookstore sales (for which the public data is patchy) and for digital sales (for which the public data is non-existent). In both cases this has broadened the appeal of comics, and so a comic that appears "low-selling" because the monopoly that distributes single issues to comic book stores reports that not many people are buying it can actually be doing quite well.

Marvel and DC are still working out how to adapt to the changing market but things like 99% of Marvel's back catalog being available online to stream and releasing niche books in short, season-like runs designed for trade / digital readers suggests they're trying.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

If only they would commit to fresh and interesting new status quos while moving the classic characters into totally new roles on a permanent basis instead of constantly hitting the reset button. Every time I hear about either Marvel or DC doing something fresh they've always reverted the legacy character back to normal and put the new character into the C tier before I can even get around to finding room in my budget to buy a few backissues.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

dmboogie posted:

I forgot about that; WOW does have very little in terms of character customization, to the point where I expect you'd run into another player who looks like your doppelganger.

I've heard you can customize your character a lot more in FF14, not just in terms of looks, but also gear & clothing (I think I once heard it referred to Fashion Fantasy 14).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 13, 2019

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Leal posted:

I wouldn't put any hope, with the early art for Au Ra I was expecting something like this

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QowR85Vrm7I

Instead we got...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2GRpwwS8M

I mentioned it in another thread but the reason why the Au Ra ladies got changed was because of the JP playerbase. The Japanese players wanted an option for ladies that were on the shorter side without being Lalafell-sized. The Au Ra ladies were originally going to be as tall as the men since they were going to be the Viera (rabbit people from the Ivalice games) equivalent. (slightly NSFW)

XIV's finally getting the Viera though so at least there's going to be another option for Amazonian murderesses.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is a literal crime that you can't play as tonberries or moogles in FF14.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Darth Walrus posted:

Catboys are the obvious ones, yes, but Elezen can also be pretty feminine. See also, much of the main cast in Heavensward.

See you say that, but that's actually been a super common gripe pretty much ever since Heavensward, the NPC elezen look SO MUCH better than the players in so many cases, a lot of it's because of the player face choices, where most of them have dark eyes or weird features, while the NPCs actually have nice looking clean faces and softer features and haircuts that just aren't available for PCs, it sucks incredibly hard, there's only really 1 face for guy elezen that doesn't make you look gaunt and strung out imo.

Cats meanwhile eh, closer but still not satisfactory enough. :arghfist:

Also yeah what was done to au ra is plain old lame as gently caress.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 13, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYDaIKIoOkw

On a different note, Philip from the various Kliksphilip channels made a really neat video on CS:GO's Blacksite map and how Valve uses tricks in the Source engine to try and compete with more modern game engines.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's always a good time for Relevant Oglaf :nws: https://www.oglaf.com/dimorphism/ :nws:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

See you say that, but that's actually been a super common gripe pretty much ever since Heavensward, the NPC elezen look SO MUCH better than the players in so many cases, a lot of it's because of the player face choices, where most of them have dark eyes or weird features, while the NPCs actually have nice looking clean faces and softer features and haircuts that just aren't available for PCs, it sucks incredibly hard, there's only really 1 face for guy elezen that doesn't make you look gaunt and strung out imo.

Cats meanwhile eh, closer but still not satisfactory enough. :arghfist:

Also yeah what was done to au ra is plain old lame as gently caress.

Roedames don't have any uguu faces, though. It's why there are may be one for every 500 catgirl or dragongirl.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CYBEReris posted:

it's always a good time for Relevant Oglaf :nws: https://www.oglaf.com/dimorphism/ :nws:

"Lady Death-cap" always cracks me up a little :allears:.

AllmyFrench78
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moUOvHftKXQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxHCQOgIvlE Todd in the Shadows finally goes over his top ten best songs of 2018.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Blizzards in kind of a catch-22 situation where they really want her to be evil but she is/was also extremely popular among the fanbase so they can't just write her out of the plot.

It doesn't help that she is also one of the only major female characters in the game (and, until fairly recently, the only one in the Horde) and killing her off would look, uh, very bad to say the least. You could argue that the recent war crimes poo poo surrounding her was Blizzards way of trying to settle players into the idea of hating her enough that they can get away with it without too much controversy but that's getting into conspiracy theory poo poo and the more likely answer is that WoW's writers really are just that incompetent.

To be honest I actually really like BfA's plot for the most part, it probably has some of the best writing WoW has had in years. Jaina finally gets some much needed development and all the stuff I've heard about Zandalar makes it sound really cool. But the actual gameplay is a complete disaster and the way they treated WoD, both during and after the fact, makes me doubtful that any of those plots will ever get touched on again.
The individual/small scale stuff in WoW has actually generally been good- like leveling zone story arcs and stuff like that. The overarching story in BfA makes no real sense to me and I kinda hate it because it always has to lead back to the status quo- meaning no matter what insane event happens that inevitably drives both factions to work together in some fashion to save the entire planet or possibly galaxy from some bigger evil someone always appoints a war criminal to run one of the factions and pisses the other off and their increasingly asinine war starts over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fabricated posted:

The individual/small scale stuff in WoW has actually generally been good- like leveling zone story arcs and stuff like that. The overarching story in BfA makes no real sense to me and I kinda hate it because it always has to lead back to the status quo- meaning no matter what insane event happens that inevitably drives both factions to work together in some fashion to save the entire planet or possibly galaxy from some bigger evil someone always appoints a war criminal to run one of the factions and pisses the other off and their increasingly asinine war starts over again.

It's why everyone hates the overarching story of BfA; We all know it can't go anywhere except back to the status quo, minus Sylvanas because 25 people beat her up until she dropped purple-tier gear, and Blizzard keep vehemently going "uh... nuh-UH, that's totally NOT what's going to happen!! :goonsay: fuckfuckfuck".