Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

day break wasn't even that dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Daybreak was just that egregious, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

glitter force kira kira

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 11, 2019

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
Yuyuyu was one of the more blatant ones.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So it's looking now like the KiraKira dub thing was just a rumor (the original source was apparently Wikipedia). All the same I kind of hope they do try again one day as honestly I think this series could work over here provided it was handled well and properly marketed.

Off the subject, we've got a new trailer for the next All Stars movie that shows off the Star Twinkle transformations a bit more fully:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIk4nwMxquM

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zetetica posted:

Yuyuyu was one of the more blatant ones.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one. I guess that makes 6, including Madoka itself. Although I seem to remember a lot of talk about dark magical girl shows as a genre before half of them came out.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Most of them are based on LNs or manga and there's probably plenty more where they came from. I remember Mahour Shoujo of the Apocalypse being somewhat prominent until it became completely incomprehensible.

But it's also true that two or three prominent shows can constitute a genre in peoples' minds

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 11, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If they do more Glitter Force I'd be shocked they skip straight to Kira Kira but it'd be amazing cause they'd probably think it'd be easier to dub cause the summary and first few episode are so light and fluffy and my god what are you doing to the cast show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I don't hate Kira Kira (in fact it's one of the few shows where I like pretty much every member of the team) but it doesn't really have a plot until around the time Julio shows up about 12 or so episodes in. Also when Ciel initially joins up she kind of steals focus away from the other characters for a bit until she finally settles into a decent groove. The show gets better as it goes along though.

The only reason I would think of for skipping to Kira Kira would be because as of right now it's the most recently completed series. Otherwise Go Princess probably would be a safer bet in my opinion (other potential options would be Suite, Fresh, Splash Star or a redub of Futari Wa).

Like I said before, I think Precure could work over here but it's just a matter of effort and being able to properly market it. Getting some more officially subbed shows on Crunchyroll would be nice too.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 11, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Star Twinkle looks good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Star Twinkle looks good.

Yeah, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Plus Hugtto has been pretty consistently good throughout and Kira Kira got better as it went along so hopefully they can keep the current streak going. I'm also hoping for an entertaining villain cast as I think that's about the only thing that hasn't been revealed yet.

I'm hoping this year's "sixth" will be decent as well (Emiru may possibly be one of my favorite characters from this franchise and Lulu was good too). Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Smile the only season that didn't add in some kind of extra member later on (if you count Futari Wa/Max Heart and Yes/GoGo as one series each and lump in the Kiryu sisters from Splash Star that is)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 11, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, it seems that the Precure Super Stars movie (the Maho Girls/Kira Kira/Hugtto crossover) has finally been subbed if anyone feels like checking that out. Apparently somebody just took the existing French subs and translated them into English, it's still understandable enough though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 12, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Smile the only season that didn't add in some kind of extra member later on?

Sorta depends on what you count as extra. I was going to say Heartcatch until I remembered that Cure Flower showed up for an episode. I don’t think Happiness Charge adds any to the main team either, but then they frontloaded a whole planetful of cures of the pretty variety, so who knows.

smile doesn’t count because of cure gorilla.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Sorta depends on what you count as extra. I was going to say Heartcatch until I remembered that Cure Flower showed up for an episode. I don’t think Happiness Charge adds any to the main team either, but then they frontloaded a whole planetful of cures of the pretty variety, so who knows.

smile doesn’t count because of cure gorilla.

Don't Sunshine and Moonlight not show up until later on in HeartCatch? Also Happiness Charge technically has Cure Tender.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

Don't Sunshine and Moonlight not show up until later on in HeartCatch? Also Happiness Charge technically has Cure Tender.

Moonlight’s the very first thing we see in the show, and if Sunshine counts as the extra I’ll eat my transformation brooch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Moonlight’s the very first thing we see in the show, and if Sunshine counts as the extra I’ll eat my transformation brooch.

Sunshine first transforms in Episode 23 which is about the time we usually get our "sixth" (though Itsuki herself is more or less around from the start). Fair point about Moonlight though.

Not even the first time it's happened either (for example in the current show both Emiru and Lulu were first introduced long before they actually became Cures themselves).

As an aside, having watched Super Stars now I like that they actually reference Ichika and Hana having met before at the end of Kira Kira (whereas in the previous film Dream Stars I don't think Mirai and Ichika recognized one another at all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 12, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

The only reason I would think of for skipping to Kira Kira would be because as of right now it's the most recently completed series. Otherwise Go Princess probably would be a safer bet in my opinion (other potential options would be Suite, Fresh, Splash Star or a redub of Futari Wa).

Why not Heartcatch?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why not Heartcatch?

Ah yes, that's a good option as well.

As for the latest Hugtto, pretty good episode but I'm hoping this doesn't turn into another series where the Pink winds up soloing the final boss (which based on the preview looks to be the case, though I suppose it would be somewhat appropriate in this instance).

Also unless they're planning on actually doing something constructive for the obligatory crossover episode at the end we've only got one main episode left and there's still a number of unanswered questions to resolve (Hugtan becoming Cure Tomorrow again, Traum having a daughter that looks like Lulu, George Kurai being in a relationship with a woman that looks like an adult Hana, Hana herself having no specific dreams or aspirations, etc). I've been enjoying Hugtto so far but I just hope it doesn't wind up tripping at the finish line.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 14, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I do not want to think of what Glitter Force would do to Heartcatch.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given it’d be Hasbro maybe it wouldn’t be an utter disaster?

If nothing else they got good performances from CanCon actors and usually that’s the most grunt of grunt voice work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I know the Kira Kira dub turned out to be a rumor (for now anyway) but has it actually been confirmed that Hasbro currently owns the rights to the franchise in the west (I'm fairly certain the DokiDoki dub wasn't done by Saban anyway)? But if so they generally seem to treat their properties with respect for the most part so maybe it wouldn't be as much of a trainwreck as the last two (not sure if Hasbro has ever actually dubbed an anime before though).

So far the best Precure dub (which isn't saying much as there's only been three of them) has probably been the Canada only one another company I forget the name of did for the original a few years back (which aside from changing most of the character names and a few cultural references actually left everything else more or less intact from what I've heard).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 14, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

Given it’d be Hasbro maybe it wouldn’t be an utter disaster?

If nothing else they got good performances from CanCon actors and usually that’s the most grunt of grunt voice work.

As a Transformers fan, there’s no guarantee a Hasbro-led dub would be any better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In lieu of/in addition to another dub I wouldn't mind some official subbed releases on DVD and/or Crunchyroll as well (hell, you could start with Star Twinkle and do a simulcast).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

There really hasn't been any official report one way or another on Hasbro having the Glitter Force rights. We've had vague reports that Toei has the rights back to Hasbro has the rights to the existing series or has the rights to dub everything but nothing solid as of yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though a thing to consider is that, as I understand it, the previous two attempts (plus the separate Futari Wa dub that never even made it to the US) were more or less commercial failures and most anime dubbing companies aren't typically interested in marketing to young girls. It also could be a case where Toei just wants too much money for the rights to it (it is one of their most popular franchises alongside Kamen Rider and Super Sentai after all).

While I would like more Precure in the west eventually (be it another dub or an official sub) it's likely not going to happen any time soon.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/bkub_comic/status/1084458907588714503?s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Hugtto, while I felt that George Kurai was kind of a boring villain whose only notable trait was his really creepy obsession with Hana I must admit he was actually pretty threatening in the most recent episode (subjecting the team to literal mental and physical torture). Hell, Hana was just a stone's throw away from falling to darkness for a moment there. The fact that he's a lot more human-like than your average Precure antagonist (which are usually some kind of giant demon) adds a bit of extra menace to him as well.

I'm not exactly happy that it seems like she's going to be soloing the final boss next time while the others sit on the sidelines but I suppose they could still surprise me (I'd still like to see Hugtan turn back into Cure Tomorrow and join the fight but that's not looking likely right now). Like I said, this has been a genuinely good season so far, it'd be a shame for it to trip up right at the finish line.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hopefully Toei gets Bkub to design some official merchandise like Bkub got to do for Pripara

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hasbro might also change from Glitter Force back to Pretty Cure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hasbro might also change from Glitter Force back to Pretty Cure.

What was the point of changing the name to begin with? Did they think the show would sell better if it sounded more like Power Rangers or something?

Also out of curiosity since I've never actually watched much of Glitter Force, are the main heroines still referred to as Cures or was that changed as well?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

they are "Glitter" i.e. Glitter Lucky (for Cure Happy), Glitter Peace, etc. I'm not sure what they're called as a group.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

they are "Glitter" i.e. Glitter Lucky (for Cure Happy), Glitter Peace, etc. I'm not sure what they're called as a group.

That one I do know at least. They're collectively called the Glitter Force, same as the title.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I was wondering if the plural is "Glitters" instead of "Cures" but I guess it's a moot point because it's not like "Cures" ever comes up in the show proper.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, in the original at least they're all just collectively referred to as "Precure".

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Probably they changed the name cause that's what they thought they had to do. Glitter Force is very much 90's broadcast TV dub which is what Saban usually worked with so that's probably why they did the changes

It's just extra funny cause it aired on Netflix where you'd think they wouldn't need to edit cause of standards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Probably they changed the name cause that's what they thought they had to do. Glitter Force is very much 90's broadcast TV dub which is what Saban usually worked with so that's probably why they did the changes

It's just extra funny cause it aired on Netflix where you'd think they wouldn't need to edit cause of standards

Hell, DokiDoki had it's episode count cut nearly in half for the English version (don't remember just how badly they cut up Smile though). That coupled with the weird edits and voice work that is generally cringeworthy at best resulted in a trainwreck that apparently didn't even sell that well.

If they ever do try to dub Precure again I'm hoping the next one will be a little more professionaly handled (at the very least I'd take something about on the level of the Futari Wa dub).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 15, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thing that always gets me is that they changed everyone's names to western ones and... changed alice to clara, even though alice was already a perfectly fine western name?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

the thing that always gets me is that they changed everyone's names to western ones and... changed alice to clara, even though alice was already a perfectly fine western name?

Did Sebastian get to keep his name in that series (also, was the Cure Sebastian & Cure Madam episode ever dubbed)?

As for the current show, I have a feeling that Henri/Cure Infini is unfortunately going to fall into the same memory hole that the Kiryu sisters and Regina did (that is, he'll make a few cameos during crossovers but otherwise probably won't get to actually fight alongside his team again).

Speaking of which, do you think a permanent male Cure (or at least a Tuxedo Mask-esque ally) could work in this series? We've had male allies that fought before such as Wastar and Soular from Fresh, Sebastian from DokiDoki (though that one was more played as a joke), Rio (aka "Cure Waffle") from KiraKira and the aforementioned Henri from Hugtto but they've all been temporary at best. Though I suppose Coupe from HeartCatch might count in that regard.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Coupe is permanent-ish but he isn't really that prominent past the start.

Personally I'm fine with a male ally and one-off appearances, or even a recurring male ally who fights fairly frequently, but I wouldn't want a male cure who's counted as part of the main team. It'd feel too weird.