Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My source of amusement today was asking one of the local shop guys if they were going to stock the Enforcer 88. His response was, basically,

"Oh yeah, I was testing them last weekend, they're great.

Wait, where the hell did you hear about them?"

:shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

bringer posted:

At first glance it looked like the doctor gave up, amputated your arm, replaced it with a pillow, and booked it hoping you’d enjoy the drugs too much to notice while he was still in the hospital.

Good luck with the recovery!

Reminds me of the goon in the old SA yearbook that had his arm removed at the shoulder from a dirtbike accident. *shudder*

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm looking at some consignment gear. These solstice Gore Tex pants fit well but have dual full side zippers that go bottom up and top down. No other venting options. Is this stupid or cool?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

My ArcTeryx pro shell pants are basically the same thing. When I get hot I just zip down the sides, but that’s usually only in maybe April-June.

If you like them get them.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Side zips have the advantage over thigh zips of not shooting a load of snow onto your junk when you take an unexpected turn through the deep

On the right day it's not terrible, but even with mesh, if it's blower, it's gonna be cold. Happened to me a few times after a hike and I forgot to batten down the hatches

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

kiimo posted:

Reminds me of the goon in the old SA yearbook that had his arm removed at the shoulder from a dirtbike accident. *shudder*

You might be referring to Back Panther, and the story is much funnier than you'd expect from that summary

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eejit posted:

Side zips have the advantage over thigh zips of not shooting a load of snow onto your junk when you take an unexpected turn through the deep

On the right day it's not terrible, but even with mesh, if it's blower, it's gonna be cold. Happened to me a few times after a hike and I forgot to batten down the hatches

Crotch zips are great for ventilation though, much better place for airflow than the outside. Usually if I go down I’m on the outside so snow coming in through the crotch zip is more rare.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ante posted:

You might be referring to Back Panther, and the story is much funnier than you'd expect from that summary

Was he the "arm reduction" guy?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Why is the thread title gently caress Vail? I just went for the first time in 10 years today. It was pretty great.
PS, any Goons ever want to meet up some weekend and ski/snowboard?
Disclaimer. I'm from the Midwest and am not the best skier.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Why is the thread title gently caress Vail? I just went for the first time in 10 years today. It was pretty great.

gently caress/Marry/Kill (or kiss/marry/kill if you're little) is a game where you choose three people, usually celebrities, and you have to shoose which one you want to gently caress/kiss, which one you want to marry, and which one to kill.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
But the joke is that Vail has been buying up other resorts and objectively making them worse. The example close to home for me is them buying Whistler and pricing out the locals, instead chasing the rich tourist market even harder

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

RC Cola posted:

Nobody says gently caress Vail because the mountain sucks, because it doesn't. It's a good mountain. Vail Resorts the company, however...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The crowd that Vail is trying to attract, well, gently caress them too.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RC Cola posted:

Heh, hey Chicago buddy.

I'm hitting Winter Park Tuesday/Wednesday because I'd rather take off a couple of days in the middle of the week and not get paid than fly/ski on the weekend.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I managed to ring my bell today. I hit a drop created by snowmaking but didn't see a second much larger drop behind the first, and slammed the back of my head into hardpack on the second drop. I always wear a helmet and didn't lose consciousness or get sleepy or nauseous, but I had a sore neck and didn't feel awesome. I took a half hour break then was back riding but pretty conservatively because I didn't want to hit my head a second time in the same day.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Heh, hey Chicago buddy.

I'm hitting Winter Park Tuesday/Wednesday because I'd rather take off a couple of days in the middle of the week and not get paid than fly/ski on the weekend.

Ah I wish, I don't have any days off for a while yet. Just skiing on weekends for now :(
PS I moved out of Chicagoland in August

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RC Cola posted:

Ah I wish, I don't have any days off for a while yet. Just skiing on weekends for now :(
PS I moved out of Chicagoland in August

Congrats, did you move out to Denver?

I've still got two more days at Winter Park that I'll probably do in late Feb or early March, but it will still probably be during the early part of the week. It kind of depends on flights and stuff.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's amazing how much Vail has actually been loving up really basic poo poo here. I'm pretty sure we're only a couple seasons away from Rob Katz being burned in effigy by drunk locals on Canada Day.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Investors might beat them to it with what has happened to the stock price.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Crotch zips are great for ventilation though, much better place for airflow than the outside. Usually if I go down I’m on the outside so snow coming in through the crotch zip is more rare.

I do agree, and my current pants have crotch zips, but twice this year I have frozen my junk in Highlands Bowl after forgetting to zip up after hiking up

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Eejit posted:

I do agree, and my current pants have crotch zips, but twice this year I have frozen my junk in Highlands Bowl after forgetting to zip up after hiking up

I live dangerously and leave them open almost 100%

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
my friend got made fun of at jackson hole for having cheap poles lmao.
so glad i'm a snowboarder

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Haha what the gently caress who makes fun of people for that?

spwrozek posted:

Investors might beat them to it with what has happened to the stock price.
Good. I take great glee in our mountain being one of the two to gently caress it up for them. How the gently caress do you manage to get fewer visits when the USD is at like $1.35?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah that's loving weird. My poles don't always match, are very kinked, and sometimes are sheared off a few inches above the basket and I've never had anything besides positive comments.

Also it's JH not Deer Valley jfc

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Yeah. I use my old destroyed poles from when I was a kid and no one comments.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pretty drat hype about this forecast, if it stays cold enough Baldy will be prime this week

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Got back last night from four days at Jackson Hole then one at Grand Targhee. Hadn't been since early 2015 and man have prices jacked up. I paid $28 for bison meatloaf at the Mangy Moose the first night so after that we usually went into town. Had 13" of fresh snow the night we arrived but garbage visibility, so some nice slow but floaty runs on Monday, then good vis Tuesday-Thursday, getting into trees and a bit out of bounds for fresh lines. Then 5" more the night before Targhee which made for tons of untracked lines since the place is just so wide with fewer people. Good times, but I'm definitely feeling my age at 40 with a lot less desire to jump off large things.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah my freeskiing poles are like 5cm too short and one of them is bent at like a 30 degree angle.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
All this pole talk makes me want to break out and old pair of American flag poles that I last used in the early 90s and are surely from the mid 80s (or possibly before) because I took them from my dad.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
making fun of cheap gear is pretty jerry

all of the best skiers I know (incl SPONSORED ATHLETES like hoji) are pretty cheap and stretch stuff as long as they can (unless the rep is handing out new stuff)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Razzled posted:

my friend got made fun of at jackson hole for having cheap poles lmao.
so glad i'm a snowboarder

Man, I'd whittle some loving branches into poles and stick some baskets on them for the next time I went there.

There are some 1980s bamboo poles back at my folks I should grab.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Man, I'd whittle some loving branches into poles and stick some baskets on them for the next time I went there.

There are some 1980s bamboo poles back at my folks I should grab.

https://www.pandapoles.com

All the cool kids are doing it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

TMMadman posted:

All this pole talk makes me want to break out and old pair of American flag poles that I last used in the early 90s and are surely from the mid 80s (or possibly before) because I took them from my dad.

Send them to me

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's pretty sad to make fun of someone for their gear. One cannot simultaneously hate Vail for catering to rich fucks and then make fun of someone's cheap gear.

*Exception for wearing jeans and a Cowboys Starter jacket, that's open season.

vvvvvv I'll allow it

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 14, 2019

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Hockey jerseys

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My home mountain in NJ is nothing but hockey jerseys and NFL team jackets as far as the eye can see.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I just ordered one of these: https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/mens-burton-family-tree-bottom-feeder-snowboard/W19-185761.html

I can't wait to try it out. I spend as much time as possible off-groom, and I think this will be a lot of fun. I also wear a size 12 boot, and I'm looking forward to being able to really lay this thing over. I've been riding a Burton Sherlock for the past four or five years, and it isn't wide enough.

Good float in pow, decent performance on groom, maneuverability in trees, and wide as hell should suit my needs nicely.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ante posted:

Hockey jerseys

Sports jerseys on game days are fine.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Yuns posted:

My home mountain in NJ is nothing but hockey jerseys and NFL team jackets as far as the eye can see.

I was at Deer Valley earlier this year and almost everyone under 20 had an NBA or NFL jersey over their ski jacket. I wish I had brought some of my vintage inexplicable jersey purchases on that trip for extra hipster cred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Going to Squaw this week, if TSA allows it.

It's my first time there. What should I know/where should I go?