Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I get :ohdear: as gently caress when my :gas: light comes on.

Never actually had a problem with my car running out of gas (my current one or any previous) but still.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Schadenboner posted:

Never actually had a problem with my car running out of gas (my current one or any previous) but still.

It's designed to alert you that you should fil up soon, not that you are about to be stranded on the side of the road. If you read the owner's manual it will probably say how much the reserve is.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Fallom posted:

Denver got rid of its insane temperance era beer law so now Costco is selling flats of local brews

Hallelujah

Saw that today but damnit I want the liquor!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Today my best friend finally got a Costco membership after I proselytized to him forever.

He got a bunch of toilet paper and other bulk stuff. And he got the sherpa.

He did not get the dog though so his baptism is not complete. But he assured me he shall.

PBUC

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

therobit posted:

It's designed to alert you that you should fil up soon, not that you are about to be stranded on the side of the road. If you read the owner's manual it will probably say how much the reserve is.

Also AAA will bring gas out to you at cost, although I’m sure they charge something like rent-a-car rates per gallon.

But my concern is that it will actually have been on for like an hour or two and I just never noticed it until I noticed it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Schadenboner posted:

it's actually quite bad for your car to drive with it with the low fuel light on. fuel pumps are very commonly often designed to use your gas tank as a heatsink to keep it cool, so you could do some serious damage with gas light on, despite having an extra 1-2 gallon reserve even when its low. it's generally not the biggest concern of course, but if it's something that happens often and also in hot climates, yeah you could very well be looking to replace your fuel pump in the future.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 13, 2019

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

Also, I strongly advise against going to "look around."

I browsed TVs last week when I went for a few items. Only bought the few things I needed.

Tonight I got one from their website :blush::homebrew:

naem
May 29, 2011

RJWaters2 posted:

I forgot that I bought the 2-pack of marinated artichoke hearts last time I went, and bought another 2. What do I do with a gallon of these

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Renegret posted:

Oh, I don't need much from Costco, it'll be a quick trip.

-Famous last words, from a time when Renegret was $400 richer
1/12/2019

I've taken to not taking a cart in if I'm only getting a few things. Though, I live walking distance from Costco, so I can afford to avoid stocking up.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Costco has an incredible deal on Glenlivet right now.

A pack of 3 full size bottles: the 12, 15, and 18 year for $99 total.

So good. It also comes in a wack rear end wooden box if you're into that kind of thing (personally it enrages me because it's just complete waste of materials but whatever).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

RJWaters2 posted:

I forgot that I bought the 2-pack of marinated artichoke hearts last time I went, and bought another 2. What do I do with a gallon of these

You can definitely use all of those artichokes.

The major uses would be along the lines of focaccia bread, pizza toppings, and dips. Especially focaccia bread, it's so easy to make and so goddamn good, and feeds a crowd.

A spinach/artichoke dip would be great as well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Xaris posted:

it's actually quite bad for your car to drive with it with the low fuel light on. fuel pumps are very commonly often designed to use your gas tank as a heatsink to keep it cool, so you could do some serious damage with gas light on, despite having an extra 1-2 gallon reserve even when its low. it's generally not the biggest concern of course, but if it's something that happens often and also in hot climates, yeah you could very well be looking to replace your fuel pump in the future.

That's a bit overblown. It could be bad for your fuel pump if you run out of gas often or run to very near completely empty all the time, but it is generally safe if you have a couple gallons in there to finish your commute and get gas on the way home, as long as your reserve is enough to get you to work. It's not going to wreck your car to run until ther light comes on and then fill up after work.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ultraklystron posted:

I've taken to not taking a cart in if I'm only getting a few things. Though, I live walking distance from Costco, so I can afford to avoid stocking up.

Sometimes I bring in those reusable bags and just get what I came for. Afterwards I'm holding the top of the bag trying to not let anything spill out.

It helps I guess.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Taima posted:

So good. It also comes in a wack rear end wooden box if you're into that kind of thing (personally it enrages me because it's just complete waste of materials but whatever).

Ahhhh I live in a state that sells its liquor from state owned stores only. That's a dang good deal

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

RJWaters2 posted:

Did you pick up some pesto from the deli section? You could make a killer pasta salad with the artichoke hearts, pesto, and pasta from costco. Oh boy, and toss in some sun dried tomatoes :captainpop:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

RJWaters2 posted:

http://www.penn-station.com/menu_artichoke.php

I like mine with mushrooms and banana peppers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

therobit posted:

That's a bit overblown. It could be bad for your fuel pump if you run out of gas often or run to very near completely empty all the time, but it is generally safe if you have a couple gallons in there to finish your commute and get gas on the way home, as long as your reserve is enough to get you to work. It's not going to wreck your car to run until ther light comes on and then fill up after work.

most definitely. i agree it's probably not going to do anythimg, but if it's something where you're really eating into that post-low fuel light reserve down the the last gallon, and doing it more than once every year or something, yeah you might be doing some damage to it., just something to be aware of and try to avoid as best you can

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
the chili is garbage

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like the idea of Kirkland’s pesto (for one thing, unlike most commercial pestos it has at least half of the garlic it should have) but the sunflower oil they use tastes weird after a lifetime of eating the olive-oil based pesto my mom used to make.

They also use sunflower oil in the Artichoke hearts and it doesn’t taste bad but just weird to me.

E: I don't even dislike sunflower seed oil, either. I just don't think it's as seamless a substitute for olive oil as is apparently believed?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 13, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

In trying to beat the weekend crowd I’m in the parking lot of my Costco with 10 minutes to go until opening. The amount of cars streaming into the lot with the store not even open yet is absurd. Yes I realize I’m part of the problem.

Also lol at the people standing at the doors already waiting for them to open instead of sitting in their cars.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Early bird gets the rotisserie chicken

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
The smart move is going in 45 minutes before closing.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
On a Saturday or Sunday I don't think it really matters when you go to Costco, it's going to be busy no matter what. Going right when they open is probably the best way. If you know exactly what you need and sort of know where it is, you can get it real quick and beat everyone else to the registers and not have to wait in line. And then there probably won't be a huge line to get out because most people are still trying to get in rather than out.

This advice might not work if you need to get a ton of stuff and spend an hour filling up your cart, but if you're only getting a few things you'll be in and out in no time.

If you're going during the week though then right before closing is definitely the best time to go.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Taima posted:

~~**fartz**~~ loving texas moon laws prevent our Costco’s from selling liquor, they only have a liquor store that’s run by some 3rd part that they rent the space too

that’s a great deal

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, so the sherpa has like a sheep's wool type thing on one side right?

My friend has a gigantic blanket that he got from Costco and it doesn't have that. Maybe I'm confused here. But I love mine.

Also, and I told him this just a few hours ago, his Boston Terrier just recently stole part of it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The ones without the wool lining are just plush blankets, I think. I prefer them to the Sherpas, honestly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Welp. My friend tried to move his dog and it didn't work out. He took his spot and my friend just sat somewhere else.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jingleheimer posted:

On a Saturday or Sunday I don't think it really matters when you go to Costco, it's going to be busy no matter what. Going right when they open is probably the best way. If you know exactly what you need and sort of know where it is, you can get it real quick and beat everyone else to the registers and not have to wait in line. And then there probably won't be a huge line to get out because most people are still trying to get in rather than out.

This advice might not work if you need to get a ton of stuff and spend an hour filling up your cart, but if you're only getting a few things you'll be in and out in no time.

If you're going during the week though then right before closing is definitely the best time to go.

This is a great way to not get samples.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

If I could press a button to banish samples forever, I would press it so hard that my finger would explode.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Taima posted:

If I could press a button to banish samples forever, I would press it so hard that my finger would explode.

:chloe:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is weird some of the stuff they have for samples. Like one time I saw cups of olive oil. Do you just drink it like a shot? I was in a hurry so did not investigate.

The ones with the entire infrastructure to bake/toast/grill/whatever are the top tier pro employees and there is usually a bit of a crowd around those sample stations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Taima posted:

The samples themselves are cool and good.

The inconsiderate jackasses that block everything around the sample tables are monsters.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

therobit posted:

Typically when the light comes on you have a couple gallons left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

The inconsiderate jackasses that block everything around the sample tables are monsters.

Right but you can't separate one from the other so I think it's kind of pointless to treat them as different things.

Samples as a concept are good, but fail in practice due to idiots.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Costco should just fit the fronts of carts with cowcatcher type fixtures to plow through the sample crowds with ease beep beep

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

priznat posted:

It is weird some of the stuff they have for samples. Like one time I saw cups of olive oil. Do you just drink it like a shot? I was in a hurry so did not investigate.

My favorite sample was toothpaste. Just little cups with some toothpaste in them.

StupidSexyVaultGuy posted:

Also, I strongly advise against going to "look around."

My big mistake in "looking around" is that I grabbed some stuff that I knew that I needed soon but wasn't super critical, and I bought it just so I wouldn't have to worry about it later this month. Turns out I did that last time I went to Costco and forgot so I have way too much of a bunch of things. It's not a big deal since I use that stuff anyway, it's just annoying to have to store it. I also bought 4 boxes of protein shakes since they were on sale, so that's $80 right there. But it'll last us a long time so it'll pay for itself eventually.

Yes I normally bring a list but there's always a few things I forgot to write down, like dishwasher detergent and garbage bags.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mustached Demon posted:

The only times I've not had a problem with people blocking isles is when there's so many samples out that they can meet demand. Instead of waiting around for your mozzarella stick sample, you can walk 3 feet for your dinosaur chicken nugget sample. Of course, it's very rare that there's enough to meet demand, so people flock like vultures instead.

I think a good compromise could be met where the samples are put at the far end of the isles. I bet that would help drive foot traffic away from the racetrack and help spread the people out a little bit. That's where my Costco puts their frozen food samples and I think it helps improve the flow of the store a bit.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

priznat posted:

The ones with the entire infrastructure to bake/toast/grill/whatever are the top tier pro employees and there is usually a bit of a crowd around those sample stations.

I've had the olive oil samples. They give you a little bit of toast or bread to mop it up.

Samples are basically how I keep my 4yo and 1yo in the cart while in Costco. If we don't have a new sample in their hands before they finish the previous one, trouble starts. It's also an easy way to get them to try new foods.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am pro sample.

Down with the anti-samplers!

I hope this is not the start of an internal religious divide amongst Costco believers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm pro sample but I'm con people who wait around for samples and block isles.

The only solution is murder.