Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I’ll definitely try again with some different chickpea mixture. It’s a shame to lose all this oil but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I’ll definitely try again with some different chickpea mixture. It’s a shame to lose all this oil but oh well.

It’s a sign of maturity that you’re not spooning oily garbanzo mush and choking back tears right now.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
How long will steel cut oats cooked in milk last in the fridge?
Steel cut oats are much better than rolled oats, but I have no time in the morning. I know I can cook a pot full on Sunday and reheat a bowl during the week. What if I cook it in milk instead of water? Will it still be tasty four mornings later?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
so i had a "pan roast" at a place in san diego recently and want to replicate it at home...seems like its a creole 'inspired' dish

https://www.yelp.com/menu/the-dive-skc-san-diego-2/item/pan-roast

i found a couple recipes but they seemed to vary wildly

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Bagheera posted:

How long will steel cut oats cooked in milk last in the fridge?
Steel cut oats are much better than rolled oats, but I have no time in the morning. I know I can cook a pot full on Sunday and reheat a bowl during the week. What if I cook it in milk instead of water? Will it still be tasty four mornings later?

I used steel cut for my batches of overnight oats and they were good all week. I used coconut milk but that's just because I'm not a fan of the taste of normal milk.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BraveUlysses posted:

so i had a "pan roast" at a place in san diego recently and want to replicate it at home...seems like its a creole 'inspired' dish

https://www.yelp.com/menu/the-dive-skc-san-diego-2/item/pan-roast

i found a couple recipes but they seemed to vary wildly
I’ve never heard of this but it seems sort of like an etoufee with plenty of cream in it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

It’s a sign of maturity that you’re not spooning oily garbanzo mush and choking back tears right now.

I may have tried a little bit of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

big black turnout posted:

How do I find an actual butcher that will cut meat for me they don't have out. Every "butcher" I've found around here just stares blankly at you if you ask for anything.

I'm also pretty sure the one I just tried didn't actually know what a ham hock was

Glad I'm not the only one that's had this problem. Went to the one place nearby calling itself a butcher shop and the guy told me they can't do custom meat cuts. :psyduck:

Fortunately there's a local grocery store that will cut meat any way I ask, but what the gently caress don't call yourself a butcher if you don't do butchering.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Hey all, I have two different questions:

1.) I've been learning how to cook steak and really enjoying it. How should I go about preserving steak?

So far, I've just been buying them one at a time from the grocery story, keeping it in the fridge, and cooking it within a day or two. What I would like to do is go to a butcher and get four or five steaks at a time. How can I freeze and thaw steaks effectively so I can make fewer trips to the grocery store?

2.) I'm trying to keep a nice selection of liquor in my home for friends and guests, but I'm not a drinker. What should I buy?

Right now, I have Jack Daniel's whisky, Tito's vodka, Tanqueray No. 10 gin, and Bacardi Gold rum. I also keep some bottles of Bell's Two Hearted Ale IPA and Guinness Extra Stout around since folks seem to enjoy those.

The main gap I think I need to fill is wine. I'd like to get two or three likely crowdpleasers there. I'd also like to get a tequila, a brandy, maybe two more types of whiskey since those are so popular (I'm thinking Laphroaig for one of them since I bought that for a buddy's bachelor party and people LOVED it), and maybe a third beer. If there are certain supplies that pop up in a little of popular cocktails, I'd be interested in that, as well. I'm not going to buy all of this stuff at once, but I'd like to do so over time.

My main criteria here are:

1.) How long will it last? Does any kind of booze go bad?
2.) Price (I'm not looking to spend more than $75 on any particular bottle, ideally it would be at or below $50)
3.) Popularity (it doesn't have to be like the Bud Light of liquor or whatever, but hopefully everything I have would have at least a reasonable shot of being appealing to the average drinker of X kind of liquor)

Any advice? Thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 13, 2019

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Hey all, I have two different questions:

1.) I've been learning how to cook steak and really enjoying it. How should I go about preserving steak?

So far, I've just been buying them one at a time from the grocery story, keeping it in the fridge, and cooking it within a day or two. What I would like to do is go to a butcher and get four or five steaks at a time. How can I freeze and thaw steaks effectively so I can make fewer trips to the grocery store?

2.) I'm trying to keep a nice selection of liquor in my home for friends and guests, but I'm not a drinker. What should I buy?

Right now, I have Jack Daniel's whisky, Tito's vodka, Tanqueray No. 10 gin, and Bacardi Gold rum. I also keep some bottles of Bell's Two Hearted Ale IPA and Guinness Extra Stout around since folks seem to enjoy those.

The main gap I think I need to fill is wine. I'd like to get two or three likely crowdpleasers there. I'd also like to get a tequila, a brandy, maybe two more types of whiskey since those are so popular (I'm thinking Laphroaig for one of them since I bought that for a buddy's bachelor party and people LOVED it), and maybe a third beer.

My main criteria here are:

1.) How long will it last? Does any kind of booze go bad?
2.) Price (I'm not looking to spend more than $75 on any particular bottle, ideally it would be at or below $50)
3.) Popularity (it doesn't have to be like the Bud Light of liquor or whatever, but hopefully everything I have would have at least a reasonable shot of being appealing to the average drinker of X kind of liquor)

Any advice? Thank you!

On booze, no, it won’t go bad if it’s unopened. An opened bottle of wine is only good for a day or two, though. There’s no reason whatsoever to spend more than $50 on a handle (1.5 L) of booze if you’re not at least a minor enthusiast. Pretty much anything in the grocery store liquor section that isn’t the cheapest thing in a plastic bottle will be recognizable and most drinkers will think it’s fine.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Vaccum seal or use the water displacement method (https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/how-to-seal-food-airtight-without-vacuum-sealer-water-displacement-method.html) to freeze your steaks individually. Thaw them submerged in cold trickling water for about a half hour or so.

For the third beer I'd get some type of easy drinking lager but it's hard to say which one not knowing where you are.

For tequila, get something that says "100% agave" and "reposado" on the bottle and costs around $30, say Altos or Espolon.

Easy to find crowd pleasing whiskys are Bulliet (bourbon), Old Overholt (rye), George Dickle (rye), and Old Grandad Bonded (bourbon). If you want a peaty Scotch without breaking the bank I'd look for Black Grouse but I'm sure there are others out there people can suggest.

I'd also recommend ditching the Bacardi and getting Cruzan aged rum instead.

You can also google "building a home bar on a budget" or something I'm sure there are a million articles that will have recommendations for moderately priced bar staples and which ones to avoid.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 13, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

surf rock posted:

The level of hospitality you are prepared to offer just warms my heart. What you have is more than generous, I think, but if it were me, I'd swap the Jack Daniels for a straight bourbon like Maker's Mark or some other respected workhorse. The Jack brand is strong, but I don't think it would satisfy someone who wants their whiskey neat. You could also keep Jack and add Jameson (or some other Irish whiskey) or a good blended Scotch like Dewar's or Johnny Walker or an entry-level single malt like Glenlivet or McCallan if you have the cash to splash and want to impress guests.

Please forgive me if you already have this and it's patronizing, but I'd also make sure you have cold mini bottles or cans of tonic water and cola and maybe even ginger ale and club soda for people who like their liquor mixed. And hit the grocery store for fresh limes if you are expecting those people, or keep some Rose's lime on hand for emergencies (and to add gimlets to the list of cocktails you would be able to mix if you take the following suggestion).

And if you are just really looking to impress, I'd buy a small bottle of white vermouth (refrigerate it if opened), two cocktail glasses to keep in the freezer, a cocktail shaker or a Hawthorne strainer, and a jar of olives for people who want vodka or gin martinis, and learn how to mix them. And make sure you have a good source of ice and it's always on hand.

I won't fault you if that's too much for you, especially if you won't be drinking the stuff yourself. The cocktails route is slippery, since you discover there's all this poo poo you suddenly need to be able to make the just the basics...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DasNeonLicht posted:

The level of hospitality you are prepared to offer just warms my heart. What you have is more than generous, I think, but if it were me, I'd swap the Jack Daniels for a straight bourbon like Maker's Mark or some other respected workhorse. The Jack brand is strong, but I don't think it would satisfy someone who wants their whiskey neat. You could also keep Jack and add Jameson (or some other Irish whiskey) or a good blended Scotch like Dewar's or Johnny Walker or an entry-level single malt like Glenlivet or McCallan if you have the cash to splash and want to impress guests.

Please forgive me if you already have this and it's patronizing, but I'd also make sure you have cold mini bottles or cans of tonic water and cola and maybe even ginger ale and club soda for people who like their liquor mixed. And hit the grocery store for fresh limes if you are expecting those people, or keep some Rose's lime on hand for emergencies (and to add gimlets to the list of cocktails you would be able to mix if you take the following suggestion).

And if you are just really looking to impress, I'd buy a small bottle of white vermouth (refrigerate it if opened), two cocktail glasses to keep in the freezer, a cocktail shaker or a Hawthorne strainer, and a jar of olives for people who want vodka or gin martinis, and learn how to mix them. And make sure you have a good source of ice and it's always on hand.

I won't fault you if that's too much for you, especially if you won't be drinking the stuff yourself. The cocktails route is slippery, since you discover there's all this poo poo you suddenly need to be able to make the just the basics...

Agreeing with all of this and the post before. Also definitely grab a bottle of bitters, preferably Angostura as those are widely used in cocktails or can be added to a cheap liquor to take some of the harsh overtones off of it.

Bulleit or Knob Creek are good bourbons to keep around and are good enough to drink neat but not too expensive for cocktails. Laphroiag is a great peaty scotch but you'll find about 1/3 of people out there cannot tolerate peat flavor. I keep a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 around for a low peat scotch (40-50$ per bottle usually). For that same price point you can also stock Red Breast 12 Irish whisky which is excellent but again, pricier stuff. I don't know anyone who remotely likes whisky that doesn't enjoy it though.

For beers, I'd just keep a pilsner or non-IPA pale ale or lager around in addition to what you have. Those are lighter less bitter brews that some people favor.

As for wine it's so variable and people are so preferential I typically just buy wine before my guests get here after I find out their preference. I always keep a cheap box of wine (Bota Cabernet currently) around for cooking and an occasional glass.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Perfect! Thank you all, these answers were all super helpful.

quote:

For beers, I'd just keep a pilsner or non-IPA pale ale or lager around in addition to what you have. Those are lighter less bitter brews that some people favor.

What's an example of a good one of those? I don't actually even know what an IPA is, it just said it on the box when I checked. I live in the Midwest, if that's relevant.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 13, 2019

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

surf rock posted:

Perfect! Thank you all, these answers were all super helpful.

What's an example of a good one of those? I don't actually even know what an IPA is, it just said it on the box when I checked. I live in the Midwest, if that's relevant.

I think Bell's Lager of the Lakes or Amber Ale, or Great Lakes' Turntable Pils or Dortmunder Gold are good examples of easy-drinking craft beers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Something like a hefeweizen would also be a good third option considering the beers you have already. Even as a fan of hefeweizens there's not usually a ton of variation between them, whatever you can get locally is probably fine. Erdinger and Franziskaner are the two big German brands you'll likely see and there are lots of American made ones.

And putting my vote in for Buffalo Trace for a good standard, inexpensive bourbon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

surf rock posted:

What I normally do is vacuum pack my steak and refrigerate (not freeze) it for like a month or two. Anything you bring back to temp from frozen you should do with running water and pot, still use the vacuum bags though they prevent freezer burn.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

Something like a hefeweizen would also be a good third option considering the beers you have already. Even as a fan of hefeweizens there's not usually a ton of variation between them, whatever you can get locally is probably fine. Erdinger and Franziskaner are the two big German brands you'll likely see and there are lots of American made ones.

And putting my vote in for Buffalo Trace for a good standard, inexpensive bourbon.

Good call, didn't think about a Hefe but those are a great change of pace from the bitter and/or heavier stuff.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Good call, didn't think about a Hefe but those are a great change of pace from the bitter and/or heavier stuff.

Personally, wheat beer is my go-to for about 6-8 months of the year. Easy to drink, doesn’t have the high IBU’s that turn some drinkers off, still some complexity compared to a mass-market lager.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've recently started making meals with large mushroom caps, mainly burgers. Is there an easier way to drain out water from them that isn't me pulverizing the cap? I've pressed it between paper towels but as I get closer to the center, my buns get soggy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I would recommend against keeping Scotch on hand if you're not regularly drinking it. They're expensive and do go bad like wine, though over weeks, not days. On one hand, people who don't drink Scotch won't know the difference. On the other hand, if they don't drink Scotch, what's the point in keeping it on hand anyway?

And I think if anyone does drink Scotch, they should themselves understand the difficulty/futility/expense of keeping a decent single malt on hand.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I would recommend against keeping Scotch on hand if you're not regularly drinking it. They're expensive and do go bad like wine, though over weeks, not days. On one hand, people who don't drink Scotch won't know the difference. On the other hand, if they don't drink Scotch, what's the point in keeping it on hand anyway?

And I think if anyone does drink Scotch, they should themselves understand the difficulty/futility/expense of keeping a decent single malt on hand.

:huh:

/e :what:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Scotch goes bad? wtf

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Scotch goes bad? wtf

Yeah, as soon as they move the malted barley into the dryer.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If anyone has any scotch that's gone off you can send it to me for testing and disposal. This is a free public safety service that I provide.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I've recently started making meals with large mushroom caps, mainly burgers. Is there an easier way to drain out water from them that isn't me pulverizing the cap? I've pressed it between paper towels but as I get closer to the center, my buns get soggy.

That's a tough one. I assume you're using portobello? Portobello will get mushy when cooked, especially because the gills tend to turn to a black slime. I'd start by raking the gills out of the cap with a spoon, and that should help quite a bit. They also like to get slimy/mushy if you leave them in the fridge in an un-ventilated container - they need to breathe.

Also, don't rinse mushrooms in water. You can peel them just as easy with a small paring knife to take off the thin outer later of "skin" on the cap, and any dirt comes right off with it. That goes a long way to keeping them from getting soggy when cooked.

I've never done this, but I have had friends who were vegetarian/vegan that would attempt to partially "dessicate" the cap before burgerizing them. They'd put them on their food dehydrator for a couple of hours before cooking them. I have no idea about the settings or exact time, but they seemed to prefer so take it for what it's worth.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If scotch goes bad, my liquor cage is hosed

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If scotch goes bad, my liquor cage is hosed

Uncage it, let it run free

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Username/post combo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah, as soon as they move the malted barley into the dryer.

:hai:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Okay, "like wine" is not really remotely accurate and probably much longer than weeks. Mornings aren't my best. I am duly admonished.

But I stand by that Scotch will change its flavors over time if you only drink it occasionally.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whiskey opened over the course of 50-100 years will slightly evaporate, yes.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
How hosed up is your arthritis that it takes 50 years to open something?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

The only thing that will cause a well-sealed bottle of properly distilled liquor of sufficient proof (30-35% alcohol iirc) to dull is sunlight

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DasNeonLicht posted:

The only thing that will cause a well-sealed bottle of properly distilled liquor of sufficient proof (30-35% alcohol iirc) to dull is sunlight

Once it gets below ~25% of a bottle, it'll oxidize some as well.

But yeah, put a cork back in the bottle, keep it in a fairly cool and dark place, and it'll keep for years. Just kill it after it gets below a 1/4 bottle.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Oh, that does lead to a follow-up question: what drinks do I need to keep in the fridge? Beer and wine? Any of the hard liquors? The tonic water? Bitters?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If it's below 25% & opened

If the beer has ever been chilled keep it chilled

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't keep your whisky in the fridge ffs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Bitters are fine out on the shelf.

As above, if the beer is cold keep it cold, otherwise just keep it out of sunlight. Wine is fine at room temp unopened out of sunlight also. Liquors just keep at room temp always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

surf rock posted:

Oh, that does lead to a follow-up question: what drinks do I need to keep in the fridge? Beer and wine? Any of the hard liquors? The tonic water? Bitters?

Refrigerate the beer, any white wine, and mixers (and vermouth and Rose's if you end up getting it). If storage becomes an issue and you are not expecting a lot of company, you can just keep 1-2 of the mixers chilled with the rest in a pantry somewhere. To be honest with you, the mixers don't even really have to be refrigerated. While it makes my skin crawl a bit to think of room-temperature soda immediately watering down my highball, your guests probably won't be as fussy