Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

On the other hand, in the original film, he reveals himself to the two kids that are bullying Tommy just to scare the poo poo out of them. That's a good, overt example where we're at least given some kind of window into a seemingly contradictory aspect of his personality: Does he identify with Tommy? Is he taking revenge on his behalf? If so, is this the same as having empathy for him, or is he merely projecting his own narcissistic desires?

Or, going even further symbolically, is Michael a projection by Tommy?

That specific scene is filmed from Tommy's height/perspective, so I think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Most of the Hellraiser sequels after 3? 4? were just standard horror scripts with Pinhead shoehorned in as a way to continue to hold on the the rights.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Ask his former bandmates lol.

Again, all that stuff is very mild, and I'm not comparing him to a world class dickhead like Lars Ulrich or Billy Joel.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aww man :( I hope whoever directed the rest of 'em took cues from his work on the first couple. They're SO GOOD.

Daniel Sackheim and Pizzolatto himself trade off directing duties for the rest of the season.

I've only seen the first 5 episodes, but none of them are as well-directed as Saulnier's episodes. Which is to be expected.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Gejimayu posted:

Just watched The House That Jack Built

Lars Von Trier is a provocateur and he wants his films to frustrate you and piss you off and make you feel bad/sad.

I love Lars Von Trier for this, but this might be symptomatic.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Does anyone know the name of the beheading video the kids at the party are watching on a laptop in Hereditary? I thought it was The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots (1895) but upon further review they are using a guillotine and not an axe, so that isn’t it.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Jedit posted:

A clever reference to Soylent Green, which is of course based on Harry Harrison's novel Make Room! Make Room! I approve.

I fiigured he was just talking about The Green Room.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gejimayu posted:

I fiigured he was just talking about The Green Room.

:thejoke:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hey, it seems like you're relatively new here.

Let me tell you about a little movie called Horror Express. In the horror thread you're only cool if you've seen Horror Express. You should watch Horror Express.

https://www.amazon.com/Horror-Express-Christopher-Lee/dp/B07CJV9PP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547496641&sr=8-1&keywords=Horror+Express

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
My bad. I didn't think jokes were allowed in the Serious Business Thread.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

We take our spook-a-doodles seriously here.

You might even say, gravely

(Vincent Price laugh)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gejimayu posted:

My bad. I didn't think jokes were allowed in the Serious Business Thread.

I just assume that everything is a joke, works pretty well

except the above post about Horror Express, that's deadly serious

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fart City posted:

We take our spook-a-doodles seriously here.

You might even say, gravely

(Vincent Price laugh)

Way to bury that one fast.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Horror Express indeed rules

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

Way to bury that one fast.

(Even more gregarious Vincent Price laugh)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LesterGroans posted:

Daniel Sackheim and Pizzolatto himself trade off directing duties for the rest of the season.

I've only seen the first 5 episodes, but none of them are as well-directed as Saulnier's episodes. Which is to be expected.
Well poo poo :negative:

How'd you see the other 3? Only the first 2 are on HBO's site. Are they available in another country or something?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Horror Express loving rules.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Never heard of Horror Express so I'm watching it now.

edit: Holy poo poo the quality is loving terrible on Amazon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat, you know you're right, the HD remaster isn't available on Amazon streaming anymore wtf. That blows. Kinda hard to recommend now because the versions that are there are pretty bad.

It was there for like a whole year or more, I wonder what happened.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Never heard of Horror Express so I'm watching it now.

edit: Holy poo poo the quality is loving terrible on Amazon.

I think it's usually better on YouTube.

loving awesome movie I feel like I personally have failed because it seems there's still folks in the thread that haven't seen it yet. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I found a better copy on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBzj_n_9L0s

I guess I'm gonna go this route instead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

s.i.r.e. posted:

I found a better copy on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBzj_n_9L0s

I guess I'm gonna go this route instead.

Yeah that's from the remaster.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Horror Express kicks tons of rear end.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Horror Thread: Hey have you heard of the Horror Express

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Anybody got that smooth brain gif from Horror Express?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well poo poo :negative:

How'd you see the other 3? Only the first 2 are on HBO's site. Are they available in another country or something?

No, I got screeners for them.

While the other episodes are definitely a step down from Saulnier (and even Fukunaga and Justin Lin) visually, Ali still puts in the best performance from any season imo. And David Milch co-wrote an episode, so it's fun picking up random, clearly Milch-y sentences.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Drunkboxer posted:

Anybody got that smooth brain gif from Horror Express?

When I need a smooth brain I just look in a mirror. Wait...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lmao Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Enemy Gold and Picasso Trigger are much better :colbert:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lurdiak posted:

Lmao Hard Ticket to Hawaii.

That movie owns so much, and not just because of titties (though those are quite nice)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

drat, that triple-feature would have been a trip. "Guardian of Hell" is Bruno Mattei's "The Other Hell," "The Craving" is Paul Naschy's "Night of the Werewolf" and "Burial Ground" is, well, "Burial Ground."

EDIT: Also, LOL at "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" in a theater. I didn't think those movies existed without Rhonda Shear interrupting them.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

K. Waste posted:

That movie owns so much, and not just because of titties (though those are quite nice)

The Horror Thread: That movie owns so much, and not just because of titties (though those are quite nice)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Almost Blue posted:

The Horror Thread: That movie owns so much, and not just because of titties (though those are quite nice)

It would feel wrong to have that be the thread title if its not referring to Lifeforce. It's such a perfect description of Lifeforce.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
hi i'm late to the discussion but i just wanted to confirm that Horror Express loving owns

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Liberal Idiot posted:

drat, that triple-feature would have been a trip. "Guardian of Hell" is Bruno Mattei's "The Other Hell," "The Craving" is Paul Naschy's "Night of the Werewolf" and "Burial Ground" is, well, "Burial Ground."

EDIT: Also, LOL at "Hard Ticket to Hawaii" in a theater. I didn't think those movies existed without Rhonda Shear interrupting them.

Word

mychildhood.txt

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Man I just watched Creep and Creep 2 and that was such a jump in quality it was kind of ridiculous.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

I am doing a project regarding old horror films. Going through hundreds of Melies and Lumiere films right now. Check out this one I just stumbled upon, I uploaded it to YouTube for you all. Grim as gently caress for 1899.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1nyV2Xh_-A

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Liberal Idiot posted:

I can't even imagine a world cool enough where you could see a triple feature like that in theaters for $2.50 even existed.

Of all of them, The Other Hell being in theaters it he most nuts to me. :laffo:

Great to see many fellow USA Up All Nighters here.

Origami Dali posted:

Word

mychildhood.txt

The Horror Thread: Gottfried Openly Flaunts Teen-age Titillation

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Catfishenfuego posted:

Man I just watched Creep and Creep 2 and that was such a jump in quality it was kind of ridiculous.

Creep 2 almost wouldn't be as good as it is, and it is amazing, without Creep preceding it

It's one of those things that not only is the sequel better, it's better in the context of building and surpassing what was there