Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just remembered how the spent a whole movie teasing Mechagodzilla for the second movie and when you get there he's a completely stationary city that barely does anything. Great way to save money on animation, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

wdarkk posted:

Godzilla was also inspired by Lucky Dragon No. 5 which happened the same year it came out and inspired the entire opening.

This dead link to presumably an old anime is definitely up there with being the victims of world altering, psychotic nuclear war, in terms of inspo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the worst thing about these three movies

Like this is the actual worst thing for Godzilla movies.

Godzilla doesn't matter. Godzilla isn't a character at ALL. There's no pathos, no purpose, nothing. He's just this big brick wall that attacks things that attack him and that's all that happens. He barely moves, he has no soul, he's just there. He doesn't react to anything unless its to attack it, and he is given NO personality.

Shin had a lot of personality, even after going into his full form he still had minor freak out moments that were great. This Godzilla is just a chunk of wall that does nothing but shoot a beam every now and again. You don't get the feeling that he ever feels anything. Anger, sadness, regret.

You'd think they'd have been able to do something with the fact that they killed his child (????), yet no. Two movies later, that was entirely forgotten.

Instead we just get a bunch of people talking about Godzilla in very boring, vague ways and it's just not interesting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still not sure if "Enola Gay was actually Ghidorah in disguise" is a worse take on WW2 than "Grindelwald became wizard Hitler to stop the Holocaust."

Unless you go all out with wacky history revisionism you have to tread lightly around touchy subjects like nuking Japan.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Peccadillo posted:

This dead link to presumably an old anime is definitely up there with being the victims of world altering, psychotic nuclear war, in terms of inspo

See if this works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukuryu_Maru

A Japanese dude on a fishing boat became the first ever casualty of the hydrogen bomb when they sailed slightly too close to Bikini Atoll at just the wrong moment back in 1954.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Peccadillo posted:

I think the time the US government carelessly irradiated a Japanese fishing boat in peacetime might have inspired some of Godzilla.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Schwarzwald posted:

I think the time the US government carelessly irradiated a Japanese fishing boat in peacetime might have inspired some of Godzilla.

It was mostly the war, and nuclear attacks

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

The Peccadillo posted:

I'm pretty sure Tomoyuki Tanaka is on record as citing the Lucky Dragon incident as part of the inspiration for Godzilla, so I don't really know what point you're trying to make here.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this is objective fact, the Lucky Dragon incident was all over the news when Tanaka had that fateful plane flight where he thought up the idea to make a monster movie (to replace the Indonesian project that had just fallen apart over visa issues.)

Sometimes movies are about multiple, related things.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

On a related note, it's not a coincidence that Godzilla first makes landfall in GMK at the city that was the Lucky Dragon's home port.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Peccadillo posted:

Sure, but the irradiation of the Lucky Dragon was absolutely on the minds of the filmmakers when they had a ship named the Bingo-maru be engulfed in a bright light and sink early in the movie.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Scyantific posted:

drat shame the movies weren't likeable because the concept of Ghidorah being an extra-dimensional entity sounds pretty cool.

Also, the dude committed suicide because he realized that if they redeveloped that tech, Ghidorah would return and gently caress poo poo up for real this time.

I get what they were going for with his motivation, but Ghidorah doesn't seem to be summoned by technology. Near as we can tell, Ghidorah is a lovecraftian extra-dimensional beast that needs to be actively summoned in order to gently caress poo poo up. In setting, technological development leads to Godzilla, which eventually leads to lunatic space aliens summoning Ghidorah to eat it, but... its kinda late for that, given that Godzilla is already on earth. Frankly I'd be more worried about loving around with the nano-metal and accidentally robotifying your entire population.

I think the vibe you're supposed to get is that destroying the technology will set back the clock in terms of eventually summoning Ghidorah, but if this is an inevitable sort of entropy it seems like they'd just be better off keeping the tech and maybe trying not to intentionally summon the world ender.

That said, I did love the elf alien backstory. We developed a super-computer to calculate the entire universe in order to find out how to become immortal. It told us that you can't, and it forced our entire race into a nihilistic frenzy where we sought out the perfect way to die and summoned an inter-dimensional horror to consume us. Then the remnants of our species travel the stars bringing horrifying death to any species that has developed a powerful enough Kaiju.

Basically the whole drat series was a mess. You can absolutely see what they were going for, but they hosed it up in just about every way imaginable, which is sad.

Sadly the best thing about the trilogy is what isn't in it at all. The Godzilla: Monster Apocalypse tie in novel, and its sequel I can't remember the name of are actually amusing as all hell. It is based on the short backstory of the first film, and basically details humanity getting rolled by Kaiju after Kaiju until they give up and go to space.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

See if this works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukuryu_Maru

A Japanese dude on a fishing boat became the first ever casualty of the hydrogen bomb when they sailed slightly too close to Bikini Atoll at just the wrong moment back in 1954.

Another Radium thing I guess, I pasted the unicode string but it gets fubar when I hit post.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Slightly disappointed Haruo didn't put Yuko into the Vulture, and then it reacted to her Nanometal and took off without him

Then it morphs into Mechagodzilla because NANOMETAL, SON, and we get a proper battle between Godzilla Earth and his metal doppelganger

On the bright side, this trilogy got me to watch Shin Godzilla and GMK, so...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only good part of the Anime Godzilla films is the ending of the first one where Godzilla wakes up and kills 90 percent of the cast in thirty seconds.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Godzilla, like most "Netflix Originals," is a garbage show.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm still watching all of the Heisei and Millenium movies. MechaGodzilla 2 has been the overall best of the Heisei series. I did enjoy how Ghidorah is so plotwise and politically bonkers.

The only two I have left that I haven't seen before at some point are SpaceGodzilla and Megaguirus, which I understand are both extremely not good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Megaguirus has a cool final battle in a construction site.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Megaguirus would be a lot better if it wasn't nearly two loving hours long.

It's an hour 12 film at heart, but is so bloated and bogged down with nothing happening to justify the extended runtime that it just clogs the whole thing.

Space Godzilla wouldn't be good if it was even 40 minutes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jr looks so weird in Space Godzilla.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'm doing a Heisei series rewatch and I'm halfway thru Spacegodzilla, and yeah one of the worst parts of that series and some of the Millenium movies is that they're almost two hours long. Even Mechagodzilla 2 while a fun movie is way too loving long.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there a place to stream/rent all of these? iTunes has a pretty spotty selection.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus and Heisei Vs. Mothra are probably the only two godzilla movies I've never been able to make it through in my entire life. Like starting each one is the same as taking like 10 benadryl pills as far as my brain is concerned

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wdarkk posted:

Another Radium thing I guess, I pasted the unicode string but it gets fubar when I hit post.

Yeah I had to manually change the ū in the url to a regular u to get it to work.

Fsmhunk posted:

I just remembered how the spent a whole movie teasing Mechagodzilla for the second movie and when you get there he's a completely stationary city that barely does anything. Great way to save money on animation, I guess.

One of the posters even showed Mechagodzilla towering over Godzilla

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The animation is so bad and samey that for the first two movies I didn't realize that the two balasoludo guys were actually different characters until they shared a scene together. I got really confused because I thought it was the same guy in two places at once.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Burkion posted:

Megaguirus would be a lot better if it wasn't nearly two loving hours long.

It's an hour 12 film at heart, but is so bloated and bogged down with nothing happening to justify the extended runtime that it just clogs the whole thing.

Space Godzilla wouldn't be good if it was even 40 minutes

Agreed. Megaguirus has dirt dull plotting but pretty good action in spite of the copious cg. Space Godzilla is a disaster from top to bottom despite SG being a pretty impressive design, and I'd argue it's the worst of the franchise, including the 98 US movie.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Choco1980 posted:

Agreed. Megaguirus has dirt dull plotting but pretty good action in spite of the copious cg. Space Godzilla is a disaster from top to bottom despite SG being a pretty impressive design, and I'd argue it's the worst of the franchise, including the 98 US movie.

Spacegodzilla and Godzilla vs. Mothra: Battle for Earth are easily two of the worst movies in the franchise.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

godzilla vs mothra is good.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Prepare for disappointment
I was, and I am!

I do like the seeds they were planting. The overall concept is cool, Mechagodzilla AI was original, Mothra tribe got a creative update, and the Vulture is one of the strongest vehicles humanity has come up with. But all the concepts seem to fizzle out instead of flowering.

At least we have another new Godzilla film right around the corner. :woop:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Battle For Earth at least has good kaiju fights in it

I managed to miss the entire front half of the film one rewatching due to family stuff and I enjoyed the whole thing SO much more for it. When you skip out on the 90s Environmentalism Indiana Jones Bullshit, it's such a better film

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
agreed that Battle For the Earth's human plot is pants on head stupid, but boy does it have some great action pieces. Also it doesn't seem nearly as stupid after watching the first two Rebirth of Mothra films' human plots (the third one gets a small pass with King G wanting to eat small children, and the Cosmos gaining Triforce Powers)

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Showa era rules, Heisei era drools

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nroo posted:

:hai:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Nroo posted:

preach

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nroo posted:

As true for Godzilla as it is for Kamen Rider

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I used to hate the 92 Godzilla vs Mothra but on rewatch last week I realized it's actually pretty good. Probably middle of the road for the Heisei series for me.

Showa is a lot better though. If you asked me when I was like 14 I would of said Heisei though. That run of movies from Gojira to Monster Zero isn't gonna be topped ever in the realm of Japanese monster movie. Also with the exception of All Monsters Attack, even the really cheesy and bad Showa films are still a lot of fun.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Only bad Godzilla movies are Revenge, 98 and the Netflix shows.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Other than Shin Godzilla, are there any other 4K Godzilla movies on UHD?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Fsmhunk posted:

Only bad Godzilla movies are Revenge, 98 and the Netflix shows.

Those first two are actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

I feel kinda bad making too much fun of Godzilla's Revenge. Like yeah it isn't good but it's trying to do something. It doesn't do it well. But I think for the budget constraints Honda still tried his best.