Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

They call her "Anaconda" because strangulation is her favoured execution method.

My anaconda don’t
My anaconda don’t
My anaconda don’t want none unless you’re 2D hun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sir Lemming posted:

I doubt it -- the warm, analog format in this analogy would be film, and that's already a thing. Sort of. Laserdiscs do have a certain antique/nostalgia value, but that's all they'll ever be. They're not vinyl, they're cassette tape.

There's also CED:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

quote:

The Capacitance Electronic Disc (CED) is an analog video disc playback system developed by RCA, in which video and audio could be played back on a TV set using a special needle and high-density groove system similar to phonograph records.

Though I don't think anyone who collects CEDs does so because they think they're "warmer" or more natural than DVD or whatnot, like with audiophiles and vinyl, they just collect them because they like collecting old electronics.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unrelated, but I used to get my haircut at a place called Joe's who also did VCR repairs. He had tons and tons of old VHS tapes and you could ask for one to watch while he cut your hair. I miss that old neighborhood sometimes.

edit:
He's still around!

http://joesbarbershopchicago.com/

Much like the rest of the neighborhood it looks like it's gotten classed up though....at least the Bob Inn is still a proper Logan Square dive bar.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Unrelated, but I used to get my haircut at a place called Joe's who also did VCR repairs. He had tons and tons of old VHS tapes and you could ask for one to watch while he cut your hair. I miss that old neighborhood sometimes.

Bringing it back to the thread, there used to be a barbershop/banned cartoons shop where I lived. I first saw “Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves” while getting a trim.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
There was a while where laserdiscs had slightly better digital sound than DVDs, and the AV-philes knew to bring it up in every single discussion!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Byzantine posted:

It stuck out to me cause I first read the book in 2012 on a bus ride with a bunch of smokers, so the "by 2012 smoking became so abhorrent people start editing it out of old movies" thing got a laugh.

Nice. I don't know why I remembered that scene as opposed to any other, or indeed any real idea of the book's plot :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's also CED:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

Though I don't think anyone who collects CEDs does so because they think they're "warmer" or more natural than DVD or whatnot, like with audiophiles and vinyl, they just collect them because they like collecting old electronics.

Didn't Techmoan do a thing on them? That site/dude rules.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Slippery posted:

I don’t think there’s much Techmoan hasn’t done. Around the time he tried to get over the air HD working with a Korean set because no one ever bothered setting it up in the UK was the time I realized that man has no limits but his imagination.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Slippery posted:

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Gann Jerrod posted:

Bringing it back to the thread, there used to be a barbershop/banned cartoons shop where I lived. I first saw “Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarves” while getting a trim.

That's a problematic cartoon as it's generally heralded as one of the most technically ambitious shorts of the era. The subject matter is... unfortunate.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

evobatman posted:

There was a while where laserdiscs had slightly better digital sound than DVDs, and the AV-philes knew to bring it up in every single discussion!
And when George Lucas released the revised updated lovely version of Star Wars the laserdisc version was the best version of the original trilogy. I have no idea if the proper original version ever made it to DVD or BluRay.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Having trouble finding a source, but I heard Mr. Rogers would save all his old outfits and re-film scenes from old episodes where he said something antiquated. The example I heard was about how he had a scene explaining that daddies went to work and mommies watches the kids, and he refilmed it and edited the new scene in.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

Having trouble finding a source, but I heard Mr. Rogers would save all his old outfits and re-film scenes from old episodes where he said something antiquated. The example I heard was about how he had a scene explaining that daddies went to work and mommies watches the kids, and he refilmed it and edited the new scene in.

This world never deserved that man.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

Every episode he would say out loud that he was feeding the fish, because a blind child wrote in worried about the fish.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mr Rogers facts sound like Chuck Norris jokes but are actually true.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

Mr Rogers facts sound like Chuck Norris jokes but are actually true.

Someone stole his car but returned it when they found out it was his.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I link this every chance I get because he's just so god damned genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKy7ljRr0AA

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Thanks for confirming that, great watch!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Push El Burrito posted:

I link this every chance I get because he's just so god damned genuine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKy7ljRr0AA

It's the most amazing thing you'll ever watch in your life.

It's like a scene out of a movie, but you'd never make it because "evil congressman is convinced despite himeslf by power of pure goodness" is so hackneyed. But it's real :allears:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

And when George Lucas released the revised updated lovely version of Star Wars the laserdisc version was the best version of the original trilogy. I have no idea if the proper original version ever made it to DVD or BluRay.

The original theatrical version was released on DVD, but it was a lovely dupe and he did nothing to clean it up.

If you know where to look, there's an 18 GB :filez: around. Someone got an original print and literally cleaned it up, frame by frame and cleaned up the soundtrack as well.

It's amazing, speaking as someone who has seen the opening day, VHS, DVD, and "special" Edition versions.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MrUnderbridge posted:

The original theatrical version was released on DVD, but it was a lovely dupe and he did nothing to clean it up.

If you know where to look, there's an 18 GB :filez: around. Someone got an original print and literally cleaned it up, frame by frame and cleaned up the soundtrack as well.

It's amazing, speaking as someone who has seen the opening day, VHS, DVD, and "special" Edition versions.

hell yeah, the silver screen edition?

look how crisp it is

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Last Chance posted:

hell yeah, the silver screen edition?

look how crisp it is

man that is well done

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CannonFodder posted:

It did get released on DVD once (in 2006) but it's a low quality version.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

"Uncle Toast? Aunt Burnedthrough?"

I meant the Harmy version. Haven't seen the Silver Screen one yet.

MrUnderbridge has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Jan 15, 2019

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Harmy despecialized versions are excellent, yeah. Made me realize how cheap looking the first film actually was.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

evobatman posted:

The brain makes you say crazy poo poo when you start to process the fact that your shelf full of $100-a-title Special Editions is about to turn into a bunch of dollar-bin novelty items.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Nerds posted:

https://kottke.org/18/06/mister-rogers-fixed-old-shows-if-he-felt-they-were-wrong
http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/mrn/episodes/1589/index.html
http://www.neighborhoodarchive.com/mrn/episodes/1696/index.html

The last one is the only one with a real good source here, but it's like 4 hours long so I'm not going to go digging for the quote in it. Seems likely at least a new dub was done for some things.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's sad to think the world might be too jaded for a Mr.Rogers now

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nah the cynics wouldn’t stand a chance

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

we may not have him anymore, but we do have at least one generation of kids who learned a lot of important things from him, so don't give up hope just yet. the light from his candle was passed along to a whole lot of people before it went out

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

SatansOnion posted:

we may not have him anymore, but we do have at least one generation of kids who learned a lot of important things from him, so don't give up hope just yet. the light from his candle was passed along to a whole lot of people before it went out

Look, I'm a big cool internet toughgirl in 'real life' or whatever, but I say to you, with real, honest tears, that the light from Mr. Rogers' candle will NEVER go out, and I firmly hope that will be true.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SatansOnion posted:

There’s this quote from Jim Henson that says something like “we made Fraggle Rock to try to save the world,” and it’s in the context of him saying it was a silly thing to try, but my response is that there’s at least another 10-15 years to go before we’ll know for sure if it worked.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

Look, I'm a big cool internet toughgirl in 'real life' or whatever, but I say to you, with real, honest tears, that the light from Mr. Rogers' candle will NEVER go out, and I firmly hope that will be true.

Exactly! The good that people do lives on after them, at least as much as the evil, and the good things that Fred Rogers did had a particularly long reach :unsmith:

on the topic of the thread: I never did get the appeal of Gilligan's Island to begin with, but some of the earlier episodes go from zero to yikes especially quickly when they stumble across a ridiculously racist "comedy" Japanese stereotype character. He's seriously like the distilled essence of those nasty propaganda images Dr. Seuss drew during WWII (and later really regretted iirc) delivering poo poo-tier fauxriental shtick that was old and hackneyed when vaudeville was young

Also, I think he showed up in > 1 episode, too, so somebody watched that poo poo and said "yes, this is what I would like to see more of in this television series"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SatansOnion posted:

Also, I think he showed up in > 1 episode, too, so somebody watched that poo poo and said "yes, this is what I would like to see more of in this television series"

He was the Japanese solider once and an evil scientist twice.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Lazlo Nibble posted:

The brain makes you say crazy poo poo when you start to process the fact that your shelf full of $100-a-title Special Editions is about to turn into a bunch of dollar-bin novelty items.

I mean, yeah, sure. But there was less compression on the DTS tracks. And stereo tracks on most DVDs were lossy compressed, though a lot of laserdiscs had stereo PCM sound that had pretty good quality. I had a laserdisc player as a novelty, but the sound was pretty good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I paid $90 for the Criterion version of Blade Runner.

No regrets.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

only takes one good person to make a difference

just think of the quote from the best epispde ot the twilight zone (and/or horace mann)and refuse to die until you have won some victory for humanity

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Twilight Zone, I'm binging classic Twilight Zone episodes and the ending narration to Death's Head Revisited is amazing and the opposite of aging poorly:

Death's Head Revisited posted:

There is an answer to the doctor's question. All the Dachaus must remain standing. The Dachaus, the Belsens, the Buchenwalds, the Auschwitzes– all of them. They must remain standing because they are a monument to a moment in time when some men decided to turn the Earth into a graveyard. Into it they shoveled all of their reason, their logic, their knowledge, but worst of all, their conscience. And the moment we forget this, the moment we cease to be haunted by its remembrance, then we become the gravediggers. Something to dwell on and to remember, not only in the Twilight Zone but wherever men walk God's Earth

The episode itself is also one of my favorites, it's about an SS captain returning to Dachau camp years after the war to reminisce, only to be judged by those he killed. I still can't believe it was made in 1961, and like any episode of the Twilight Zone it is about as subtle as a hammer to the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Rogers is my hero and I unironically try to live by his example whenever I can (though I rapidly fall into being a cynical, ironic shitbag). It takes deep and powerful courage to be that sincere and genuine. The more I read about him the more I understand how the church came up with the concept of saints.