Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I had a great time to this weekend. Got my first 12 run day in, only fell a bit, feeling more comfortable. :unsmith:

End of the day I went in for a piss and came out and my skiis were gone. Stuck around for another hour hoping somebody grabbed them by accident, but they never showed. Guess my season is over. Shouldn't have bought a season pass. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

tokenbrownguy posted:

I had a great time to this weekend. Got my first 12 run day in, only fell a bit, feeling more comfortable. :unsmith:

End of the day I went in for a piss and came out and my skiis were gone. Stuck around for another hour hoping somebody grabbed them by accident, but they never showed. Guess my season is over. Shouldn't have bought a season pass. :smith:

Oh poo poo, that sucks :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

tokenbrownguy posted:

Where were you at? Do you have the serial numbers of the skis? Did you file a police report? Start scanning Craigslist.

Major bummer...

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That loving sucks.

If you want a pair of Head Peak 72s you can have them for the cost of shipping. They’re nothing special, basically rental style skis, but they’re better than nothing.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man that really loving sucks. Anyone that would do that is a complete rear end in a top hat. I doubt they'll be found but maybe let the place know about it.

I just can't imagine grabbing someones gear from the mountain, even if it was brand new and ridiculously nice. I've always assumed/knew it happened but I just want to believe that everyone, regardless of whether or not they are an rear end in a top hat on skis, respects the unspoken "everyone is leaving their expensive equipment out in the open, so don't loving steal it" rule.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

On one of my days this year I saw a couple in matching home & away LaMarcus Alridge Trailblazer jerseys over their jackets. LaMarcus hasn't played in Portland for at least 2 years.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh poo poo, that sucks :(

gently caress, I'm sorry that happened. If you have renter's insurance it might be worth looking into whether they're covered. I know mine covers stolen bikes, at least.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

kiimo posted:

jeans and a Cowboys Starter jacket

Haha this is exactly my gaper costume plus realtree camo gaiters over the ski boots

E: Stolen skis dude, what size skis were they? I also might be able to find you a pair that would work for free plus shipping.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 14, 2019

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Residency Evil posted:

Going to Squaw this week, if TSA allows it.

It's my first time there. What should I know/where should I go?

huck the fingers under kt-22

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lessons booked in 3 weeks. Hyped. Wish it could be sooner but adulthood.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ShaneB posted:

Lessons booked in 3 weeks. Hyped. Wish it could be sooner but adulthood.

Where are you going? Also if you need more help after your lesson and it's in Colorado I can help. I used to be an instructor back in the day and am patient/ don't care if I spend a day hanging out on greens

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Sports jerseys on game days are fine.

Gosh I didn't have that good of a reaction when I wore my Chiefs jersey in Loveland what gives

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

RC Cola posted:

Where are you going? Also if you need more help after your lesson and it's in Colorado I can help. I used to be an instructor back in the day and am patient/ don't care if I spend a day hanging out on greens

Loveland. Too good a deal to pass up, combined with a few people I trust saying it's a good place to learn.

I'd love to learn more afterwards, too. Where do you like to ski?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Haha what the gently caress who makes fun of people for that?

Good. I take great glee in our mountain being one of the two to gently caress it up for them. How the gently caress do you manage to get fewer visits when the USD is at like $1.35?

Normally my facebook feed is full of people at Whistler this time of year...I've seen 1 so far and that was a company event. Guess the day trippers did spend a significant amount of coin there.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ShaneB posted:

Loveland. Too good a deal to pass up, combined with a few people I trust saying it's a good place to learn.

I'd love to learn more afterwards, too. Where do you like to ski?

Anywhere on the Epic Local Pass(because I'm poor and its all I can afford). Pick a place and we can work out a day to ski!
Skiing is great and you're gonna have a great time!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
What would I expect to get out of an intermediate level lesson? I've been thinking of taking one to maybe correct whatever bad habits I have picked up in the course of self-tutelage but I don't even know what I'd expect to get out of it.

That said, how are lessons @ Copper? Headed to summit county on thursday!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Normally my facebook feed is full of people at Whistler this time of year...I've seen 1 so far and that was a company event. Guess the day trippers did spend a significant amount of coin there.

Yeah, while traffic is always a shitshow on Friday/Sunday nights, it kind of feels like it's been less of a shitshow than usual (and Saturday nights are only kind of awful), so I think the number of daytrippers has dropped significantly.

I hope when there's a global recession and all the Americans/Mexicans stop coming to Whistler the day trippers keep going to Manning or Baker or wherever they're going now, not because I hate them, but because Vail doesn't deserve to be bailed out by them like they were in 2008.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Razzled posted:

my friend got made fun of at jackson hole for having cheap poles lmao.
so glad i'm a snowboarder

need more details here. this makes no sense, old beat up lovely poles are extremely common at any ski area.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Which way was he carrying them?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Razzled posted:

What would I expect to get out of an intermediate level lesson? I've been thinking of taking one to maybe correct whatever bad habits I have picked up in the course of self-tutelage but I don't even know what I'd expect to get out of it.

For me it was body positioning and posture.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
This Saturday I went up Mt Brennan here in the Selkirks for what felt like my first real backcountry trip. The only other times I’ve been out touring have been guided courses, or me just skinning around on Nordic trails to practice basics, but this was just me and a friend miles and miles from anyone else.

For me that feeling is as addicting as fresh powder, which was also pretty drat good!

I’m realizing as I type this up that SA requires uploading pictures to a third party so I’ll have to edit that in later.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I've only ever gotten poo poo once for my poles, and that was one of my coworkers jokingly loving with me over the pole I bent getting off a lift. How much do ~expensive~ poles even cost nowadays?

(that and the kid who skied over to me after I ate poo poo and was lying on the ground at Gore a couple weeks back. "I think you bent your pole mister!" no it was like that :saddowns:)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bringer posted:

This Saturday I went up Mt Brennan here in the Selkirks for what felt like my first real backcountry trip. The only other times I’ve been out touring have been guided courses, or me just skinning around on Nordic trails to practice basics, but this was just me and a friend miles and miles from anyone else.

For me that feeling is as addicting as fresh powder, which was also pretty drat good!

I’m realizing as I type this up that SA requires uploading pictures to a third party so I’ll have to edit that in later.

Did you do the whole tour from the road? That is a big one! The tour up into oak Creek is good too. And yes, share pics.

P.S. buy a sled!

P.S.S. I don't think I will make it up there this year unfortunately. I am pretty bummed but oh well. See ya next season though for sure.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

I've only ever gotten poo poo once for my poles, and that was one of my coworkers jokingly loving with me over the pole I bent getting off a lift. How much do ~expensive~ poles even cost nowadays?
Leki race poles retail at $169.99 CDN right now for the standard ones. Carbon are like $250.

My current pair of GS poles (Leki carbons) cost me $25 from someone who either stole or won a pair and put them on the local buy and sell LOL.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Going to Squaw this week, if TSA allows it.

It's my first time there. What should I know/where should I go?

Do you want to ski greens? Take the funitel up and lap the few green runs there.

Do you want to ski blues? I’d recommend checking out Alpine Meadows. It’s a separate resort that squaw bought a few years ago, so you can ski both on the same lift ticket. They run free shuttles all day, and it takes about 15 mins to go from one to the other. Alpine is smaller and chiller, generally less crowded, and IMO has as good if not better intermediate terrain than Squaw.

Do you want to ski blacks? Run laps on KT, Headwall and Granite Chief at Squaw.

If you’re renting stuff I’d get it outside the village for better prices. Tahoe Dave’s is pretty good and has a location right at the entrance to squaw. The village does have a decent grocery store, except it doesn’t have much in way of produce. The restaurants are pretty mediocre, but good enough if you’re just after bar food.

Have fun, hopefully the lifts aren’t too impacted by the storms rolling in.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I skied for the first time this season.

My tendons are tired.

Two and a half weeks 'til Lake Louise! Renting Brahma's, super excited to try a good ski for the first time ever. Please baby Jesus let there be fresh snow.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tokenbrownguy posted:

gently caress man, people are poo poo. If you're in Colorado and know how to snowboard I can loan you one of mine or something.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's really great to find out that somehow my phone erased all my music a minute after getting on the plane.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Do you want to ski greens? Take the funitel up and lap the few green runs there.

Do you want to ski blues? I’d recommend checking out Alpine Meadows. It’s a separate resort that squaw bought a few years ago, so you can ski both on the same lift ticket. They run free shuttles all day, and it takes about 15 mins to go from one to the other. Alpine is smaller and chiller, generally less crowded, and IMO has as good if not better intermediate terrain than Squaw.

Do you want to ski blacks? Run laps on KT, Headwall and Granite Chief at Squaw.

If you’re renting stuff I’d get it outside the village for better prices. Tahoe Dave’s is pretty good and has a location right at the entrance to squaw. The village does have a decent grocery store, except it doesn’t have much in way of produce. The restaurants are pretty mediocre, but good enough if you’re just after bar food.

Have fun, hopefully the lifts aren’t too impacted by the storms rolling in.

Thanks man. We're pretty open to blue/blacks, other than my wife doesn't like glades too much.

Storms? Maybe some fresh powder?

Edit: hahahahahaha multiple feet of new snow. This is gonna be awesome.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 15, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks man. We're pretty open to blue/blacks, other than my wife doesn't like glades too much.

Storms? Maybe some fresh powder?

Edit: hahahahahaha multiple feet of new snow. This is gonna be awesome.

I've only been to Tahoe once, but I really enjoyed Homewood. Super chill vibes over there. And much cheaper than most resorts down there. The view of the lake is fantastic, too.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Razzled posted:

Could be a lot of stuff. Most likely it will be something about trying to stabilise your upper body to allow the legs to work underneath, moving to the centre of the ski, or trying to stand better on the outside one.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If you're even thinking about taking an intermediate lesson, do it. Guaranteed you've got a bunch of stuff you can improve to make your skiing much more enjoyable

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Looks like I'll have a few days after a work trip to the Netherlands to gently caress around skiing in Europe in mid-February. Any recommendations for where to go? (I'd say I'm a reasonably good intermediate skiier; I'm not interested in backcountry or skiing the steepest thing possible, just a decent selection of intermediate trails and some nice scenery. I also am old and married and don't drink so I don't really care about apres, but good food is always nice.)

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

spwrozek posted:

Did you do the whole tour from the road? That is a big one! The tour up into oak Creek is good too. And yes, share pics.

P.S. buy a sled!

P.S.S. I don't think I will make it up there this year unfortunately. I am pretty bummed but oh well. See ya next season though for sure.

Nah, this friend actually has a cabin back on Brennan so we took a sled up to it and then toured from there. Definitely feeling the need for a sled after that though, I've already started browsing the classifieds.

Shame you won't be up this winter, let me know when you're up next year and I'll buy you a beer. :)

We followed the left ridge up, had good protection most of the way. Could hear a few avys kicking off - freezing layer was over 2000m - but didn't see any.

Looking back into the bowl.

From near our lunch break. Last picture I took before the sun hid.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

For you LA goons I hear Mt Baldy will be open this weekend.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Looks like the day to be at Baldy is tomorrow. Rain in the forecast Thursday.

I’m about to leave Jackson and it just started dumping here, after being sunny the past four days.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
cool thanks for the input guys, booked a lesson for saturday at copper. called in to reserve and they gave me a 15% discount for ikon passholder

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

c'mon gfs verify just this once

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Kalman posted:

Looks like I'll have a few days after a work trip to the Netherlands to gently caress around skiing in Europe in mid-February. Any recommendations for where to go? (I'd say I'm a reasonably good intermediate skiier; I'm not interested in backcountry or skiing the steepest thing possible, just a decent selection of intermediate trails and some nice scenery. I also am old and married and don't drink so I don't really care about apres, but good food is always nice.)

How long do you have and do you just want to go to one place? In terms of large resorts you can reach Verbier or Zermatt pretty easily from Geneva by rail. I think Zermatt is my favourite place to ski in Switzerland - accommodation and food costs are high though. If you are just there for a couple of days then rent a car in Geneva and ski Chamonix or Megeve which are quite a lot closer. The piste skiing in Chamonix is less cruise-y but the scenery is pretty amazing.

If you can fly into Grenoble easy places to reach that would suit are Les Deux Alpes and Alpe d'Huez.

The good mountain food (by quite a margin IMO) is in Italy but it's more difficult to access the resorts. If you ski in Zermatt you can have lunch in the mountainside restaurants in Cervinia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I spent today skiing powder in Kitzbühel and it was pretty alright. Skied Enforcers and they were actually super good. Like, as good as everyone says they are.

Pros:
  • Euro style ski pants for women
  • On mtn dining is cozier, higher quality, and lower cost than anywhere in the US
  • Less competition for pow. I was able to find safe, deep lines pretty late in the day
  • loving gorgeous views

Cons:
  • Euro ski fashion excluding women's pants
  • Suboptimal lift network setup. Bottom terminals in odd spots particularly made it confusing and sometimes difficult to get around
  • Groomed runs are often catwalks to pretty short trails

Overall I would say that, with very limited exposure, I prefer where I've skied in the US to Kitz. When you ski a run in the US, you're going somewhere. And even Vail is on average steeper than Kitz.

But I appreciated the sense of adventure, the lack of restrictions (if you die, it's your fault), and the food and beer.