Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't think he had anything to do with that episode beyond the voices

I think he stopped writing for Family Guy back in 2005 when American Dad started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slime_golem
Jul 14, 2011

At this rate, the American dollar won't be worth the foreskins they're printed on.
Yeah, he bears no responsibility for the messages espoused by a show he executive produces, acts in and created.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nuclearBarbarian posted:

Yeah, he bears no responsibility for the messages espoused by a show he executive produces, acts in and created.

Just proclaim Seth McFarlane a transphobe already

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Section 31 didn't even have anything to do with the successful morally gray spycraft on the Federation's behalf (thanks Garak) and Sloan ends up owned by Bashir using his own ridiculous sense of drama against him and then going all Inception before Inception.

Maybe just as well I don't think they had Garak in any Section 31 episodes. He might even be able to understand the Federation characters being angry and disturbed at their existence, since at least the Obsidian Order is honest about it. (kinda)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
weyoun eyes

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe just as well I don't think they had Garak in any Section 31 episodes. He might even be able to understand the Federation characters being angry and disturbed at their existence, since at least the Obsidian Order is honest about it. (kinda)

he's in the intro of... however you spell it, Romulan Death Leges.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pick posted:

he's in the intro of... however you spell it, Romulan Death Leges.

Enter Armin Eminem Soylent Lesions

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
it's too bad at some point bashir started being a bitch because garak had tons of stuff to teach him that would have meant not failing like a doofus

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm a few eps into DS9 S7, does The Sisko ever rub it in Bashir's face that oh hey buddy guess what I was genetically engineered too... BY GODS.

Is that common ground why he's got such a talent for building healthy working relationships with JemHadar?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pick posted:

I am aggressively positive about most things star trek but section 31 is legit bad all the way to its loving bones, it is a bad plot point and it is bad that they didn't forget about it like other stupid bull poo poo that star trek did that it prefers to pretend that it did not (turnabout intruder)

But what of Lazarus?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pick posted:

weyoun eyes

the other week i watched him pretend to be doctor strange against absolute ledge brian thompson and i highly recommend both against and for doing so

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i just bought a nice lil weed vape and im sure im preaching to the choir but it turns out star trek and a nice energetic sativa are a good combo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I DO NOT PLAY WITH TOYS. -WORF

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

numberoneposter posted:

I DO NOT PLAY WITH TOYS. -WORF

That's not a toy. That is a deadly weapon. It slays so much pussy, it should be banned by the Khitomer Accords.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

Anyone producing a show where Section 31 are the good guys doesn't get what Section 31 is supposed to be about.

You're not supposed to cheer for them to win, you're supposed to be a little swayed by their argument before the morally righteous on screen character makes you feel guilty for thinking "Hey sometimes the ends do justify the means".

Ha ha the cultural zeitgeist is slowly but undeniably sliding toward fascism. LOL!

When even our Star Trek glorifies the gestapo it becomes increasingly difficult to deny that OURS is the Mirror universe.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Federation Special Circumstances? More like Special Needs LMAO

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We're going to put this device on your head that let's you Psychonauts mind dive into Section 31 man's brain, also his brain will look like the sets we already have available and his memories will look like literal sheets of paper with his memories written down. This is all due to science, you see.

Also he's going to be there and mug at you the entire time

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Danaru posted:

We're going to put this device on your head that let's you Psychonauts mind dive into Section 31 man's brain, also his brain will look like the sets we already have available and his memories will look like literal sheets of paper with his memories written down. This is all due to science, you see.

Also he's going to be there and mug at you the entire time

This is an OK plot though. I particularly like the bit where he's trying to trap Bashir in his mind with tidbits of information that he knows.

What is bad is when they produce a whole story about S31 and its going to be a Jack Bauer style "the ends justify the means" lead by, and let's not forget this, the former empress of the Terran Empire from the evil mirror universe.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I wasnt saying it was a bad plot, just that it was gloriously stupid, like all the best trek episodes :v: That was like the single good S13 episode because of that and also because the jackass died

Which reminds me, the S13 episodes should be coming up soon in my rewatch :negative:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pick posted:

it's too bad at some point bashir started being a bitch because garak had tons of stuff to teach him that would have meant not failing like a doofus
near the start of s6 theres a bit on the bridge of the defiant where bashir is calculating odds, and daddy garak is getting visibly mad because bashir is no longer his princess

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
Garak was probably also mad that Bashir kept such a secret, and he failed to notice anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't be surprised if Garak was interested in Bashir in part because he could tell he's got a secret.

The whole augment plot really was done pretty poorly when it had potential. It did make sense that Section 31 saw Bashir as a potential recruit because he's clearly good at keeping secrets. There's something to how the even 24th century near-utopian human society has its social problems and irrational taboos stemming from basically ancient cultural trauma. Or comparison of the genetically modified Augments to the Dominion's use of designer species. The Jack Pack episodes were probably an idea that was a lot better on paper than in practice. (was Rain Man popular around then? Hollywood depictions of the mentally disabled are really just something they should avoid for a while)

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Remember that absolute horseshit about Lorca needing to sit in a dark room because MU eyes are more sensitive to light.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Duckula posted:

Remember that absolute horseshit about Lorca needing to sit in a dark room because MU eyes are more sensitive to light.

I thought his eyes had been damaged in an explosion.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Epicurius posted:

I thought his eyes had been damaged in an explosion.

No, the bullshit thing is that the mirror universe has different light to ours and our light hurts their eyes. Any other reason was Lorca lying to people to explain why, as he was from the mirror universe) spoiler I guess).

Honestly it was loving dumb. Why would it have different light? I get how you can have an alternative uninverse where everyone good is evil and vice versa but light is light.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
No because you see its LIGHT vs darkness

That was a joke but oh god I can see that happening

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Plus, it never seems to be a problem for all of the other mirror universe people who cross into our
universe.

The Mirror Universe thing is dumb, but I almost forgive it just for the gag in the original Mirror, Mirror episode.

Kirk, Bones, Scotty and Uhura have just figured out they're in the mirror universe and what caused it, and Bones has a revelation:

MCCOY: Jim, if we're here, what do you suppose our counterparts doing back in our universe?
KIRK: On our Enterprise..

Cut away from the horrified look on Kirk's face as he wonders what horrible stuff they're doing to Kirk and the rest of the mirror crew being thrown in the brig while Spock looks on.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Jack Pack episodes were probably an idea that was a lot better on paper than in practice. (was Rain Man popular around then? Hollywood depictions of the mentally disabled are really just something they should avoid for a while)
rain man was a lot earlier (1989) but it did leave a huge cultural hangover about savants and autism

it can do a lot of good portraying aspects of mental illness like mania, hypersensitivity and poor impulse control, especially with strong statistical correlations between high iq scores and mental illness in the real world - the last few years there has been a bit of a 'cult of the genius' thing going on and people need to see that having a faster brain does not necessarily mean you have a better brain

however it needs to be handled sensitively, and i feel like a lot of it was not really explored well. like when bashir is sitting around with the command staff and they are being aug racist and his reaction is basically accepting it because everyone is racist anyway

it might also have been interesting if he had actually snapped at obrien when he was literally holding him back at darts

its interesting because there was a tumblr i saw ages ago which was using captioned screenshots to allege that bashir is high functioning autistic (albeit by being very selective about autism traits). while in general i dont think he is, the first jack pack episode really shows you the frustration a lot of autistic people have at having to mask their behaviour to appear normal

i guess i watched it thinking they could have gone further showing how frustrating it must be for bashir rather than cancelling

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

So it's going to be its own show? I thought the Section 31 thing was just going to be a plot point of season 2.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

near the start of s6 theres a bit on the bridge of the defiant where bashir is calculating odds, and daddy garak is getting visibly mad because bashir is no longer his princess

he was probably so perceptive he could sense a bad character thread in-universe

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole augment plot really was done pretty poorly when it had potential.

i think this plotline always had very little potential and was destined to be handled badly

section 31 at least had the potential of being extremely exploded and everyone goes on Trial for The Many War Crimes

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Episode 1 of the Picard show is gonna be him having to defend an exposed S31 agent in space court isn't it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Episode 1 of the Picard show is gonna be him having to defend an exposed S31 agent in space court isn't it

Said agent caused Romulus to supernova

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

but was good because now the romulans have no choice but to join the federation because otherwise the federation wont give them food

the section 31 man cackles, "we've already won!"

everyone sees this as inevitable, and nod

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
As long as the trial takes place on a dune buggy I’ll allow it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My god.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's been a while since I saw Trek '09. Is it that the bad guy is from the TV universe, post-shows timewise, and after Romulus explodes he goes both back in time and to another universe? So Romulus exploding is canon now?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's been a while since I saw Trek '09. Is it that the bad guy is from the TV universe, post-shows timewise, and after Romulus explodes he goes both back in time and to another universe? So Romulus exploding is canon now?

Yup. He came from the TV-verse and caused the movie universe to tangent off by destroying the USS Kelvin and Vulcan.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God I love the end of the solar sail episode

Dukat: Unfortunately, under Cardassian double secret law, I am now required to throw a parade in your honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am going to laugh so hard if CBS uses Star Trek Online's explanation for Hobus: that it was all indirectly Sela's fault for trying to commit genocide in the distant past as a goddamn Klingon was trying to be the voice of reason and telling her to chill the gently caress out.