Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GrandpaPants posted:

Far From Home looks alright, but part of what made Homecoming great was that it wasn't some epic save the world plot, just a kid trying to stop a criminal. And it was a Marvel movie with an actual decent villain, so that was a plus.

I thought the reveal in Homecoming was excellent too, totally sideswiped me without feeling convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sure, but there's at least three of them so it'll still probably be most of the action in the movie.

Possibly, but from the trailer it doesn't look like Spider-Man as Spider-Man is actually directly involved in fighting two of them (in the trailer anyway, one is Nick Fury and Maria Hill(?), the other Mysterio being a Hero) so maybe not. Could be some misdirection there.

Also International version... different beginning, no Ramones, but mostly the same. e: also no "Peter Parker here to pick up a passport please".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V38cLTYYXNw

Also are two minute long, substantial "teasers" a new thing or is it just something that's not really defined in any meaningful way. I always thought of teasers as like the 30 second wet-your-appetite reveals. Once you hit two minutes and give away a chunk of the plot what's the distinction between a teaser and a trailer at that point?

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 15, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I thought of Sandman and Hydroman as I tried to get a handle on the trailer. But surely you can't do a smoke and mirrors thing in a big epic Spidey film? Unless Mysterio got some cosmic poop to make his tricks real, I imagine he's a fakeout villain for the early part of the movie. Maybe an all out Sinister Six variant?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Also multiple shots of Ned and Blonde girl Betty (Brant?) together in different situations when you combine both trailers and I approve of Ned, the real hero of homecoming, getting some.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 15, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

davidspackage posted:

I thought of Sandman and Hydroman as I tried to get a handle on the trailer. But surely you can't do a smoke and mirrors thing in a big epic Spidey film? Unless Mysterio got some cosmic poop to make his tricks real, I imagine he's a fakeout villain for the early part of the movie. Maybe an all out Sinister Six variant?

Mysterio isn't necessarily smoke and mirrors only. He often has some way of presenting some kind of actual physical danger behind his illusions or as part of them. It seems the trailer shows that Spider-Man can still get hit even if all or part of the monsters are somehow fake.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gravy Jones posted:

Also International version... different beginning, no Ramones, but mostly the same

I guess you can't say dickwad in international trailers.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Once you hit two minutes and give away a chunk of the plot what's the distinction between a teaser and a trailer at that point?

The difference is that "teaser" gets people even slightly more interested in the ad so marketing departments hit it like a rat with a dopamine button. You might as well complain that a brand of potato chips hasn't quite earned the moniker "crispy" or some poo poo.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

GrandpaPants posted:

I guess you can't say dickwad in international trailers.

Probably needs to be rated in lot of different places so it's easier to play it safe. Can't speak for elsewhere but "dickwad" isn't a particularly common insult in the UK either so that might be part of it. Loser a bit more universal.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Sir Kodiak posted:

The difference is that "teaser" gets people even slightly more interested in the ad so marketing departments hit it like a rat with a dopamine button. You might as well complain that a brand of potato chips hasn't quite earned the moniker "crispy" or some poo poo.

Guess so. Wasn't complaining. I don't actually care or get more excited about it being a "teaser" or whatever. Just wasn't sure if these were established terms (mostly to do with order and duration for teaser, trailer #1, trailer #2) that had changed over time or not.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 15, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be honest I'm surprised they kept "dickwad" in the North American trailer.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Just realized that Tom Holland is doing a great RDJ impression with the little "what just happened here?" bit at the start of the trailer.

Also his suitcase says "BFP" on the latch. Nice detail.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

It’s almost certainly a fake out by Mysterio, though. It’s what he does.

I think partly. Spider-Man *did* have Molten-Man, Hydro-Man and Sandman as enemies. (I also foresee a couple *-man jokes)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Whats BFP?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

I'm guessing Ben Something-beginning-with-F Parker (Uncle Ben)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

Maybe he's got one of the stones? Does this take place before or after Infinity War?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Benjamin Franklin Parker.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A teaser is released first. The length can vary but it is generally a minute or a minute and a half and has little plot. The first full-blown trailer is 2:30. Generally. The second trailer is the one they usually save the big reveals for.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vintersorg posted:

Whats BFP?

Brendan Fraser Piss

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Power of Pecota posted:

Brendan Fraser Piss

Please use spoiler tags when talking about what's in the briefcase from Pulp Fiction.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/johnwickmovie/status/1085282978425491458?s=21

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder why they gave this one a subtitle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The last one had a subtitle too.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 15, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gravy Jones posted:

Also are two minute long, substantial "teasers" a new thing or is it just something that's not really defined in any meaningful way. I always thought of teasers as like the 30 second wet-your-appetite reveals. Once you hit two minutes and give away a chunk of the plot what's the distinction between a teaser and a trailer at that point?

"Teasers" as you described it are what trailers used to be like, trailers are when they give you a 2-3 minute primer on the whole plot so you don't get scared off by the unexpected.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

McSpanky posted:

"Teasers" as you described it are what trailers used to be like, trailers are when they give you a 2-3 minute primer on the whole plot so you don't get scared off by the unexpected.

Only if tracking isn't going well.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder why they gave this one a subtitle.

I'm imagining, just based on posters and still advertisements, to help differentiate from it's predecessors.

If you see a poster for John Wick, and then years later see a poster for John Wick Chapter 2, at a glance you can tell this is a follow up.

If you see a poster for John Wick Chapter 2, and then some time later see a bus stop ad for John Wick Chapter 3, it you are a dummy and are not paying attention then you might not see the 3 and assume it's an old advertisement for that film that came a while back. Add a subtitle, and you get an even longer title to differentiate between the three, and even dummies with their head up their butt will understand this is a new thing unlike the old thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

davidspackage posted:

When he's attacking Hydroman he appears to have a Dr. Strange-style magic-casting-light-disc-thing coming from his hands.

I'm thinking that he's got some low-level magic he can do to form weak apparitions of sand and water, then pretends to defeat them, then ???, then profit.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Mysterio definitely won't have actual magic. I figure it'll be a repeat-ish of Homecoming. 500 million tons of alien tech is just lying around on earth, he can probably make holograms except they're REAL. Or something like that.

Also Nick Fury is 100% actually going to be Mysterio.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 16, 2019

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I'm imagining, just based on posters and still advertisements, to help differentiate from it's predecessors.

If you see a poster for John Wick, and then years later see a poster for John Wick Chapter 2, at a glance you can tell this is a follow up.

If you see a poster for John Wick Chapter 2, and then some time later see a bus stop ad for John Wick Chapter 3, it you are a dummy and are not paying attention then you might not see the 3 and assume it's an old advertisement for that film that came a while back. Add a subtitle, and you get an even longer title to differentiate between the three, and even dummies with their head up their butt will understand this is a new thing unlike the old thing.

They should look to other long-running franchises for inspiration:

John Wick
John Wick Chapter 2
John Wick III: The Search For Pups
The First John Wick
John Wick Part 5
Wick 6
John Wick Episode VII
John Wick Apocalypse
John Wick: Infinity War

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The whole use of "chapter" in sequels doesn't make sense. It should be Part or Volume. Chapter is not a whole movie.

Also are the Johns Wick any good?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

clown shoes posted:

The whole use of "chapter" in sequels doesn't make sense. It should be Part or Volume. Chapter is not a whole movie.

Also are the Johns Wick any good?

Commando for the modern era. I recommend them to any action fans.

Wick's basically the Lance Armstrong of killing. Then some punk steals his car and kills dog.

Naturally, he kills everyone involved.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Accretionist posted:

Commando for the modern era. I recommend them to any action fans.

Wick's basically the Lance Armstrong of killing. Then some punk steals his car and kills dog.

Naturally, he kills everyone involved.

Also the dog is an adorable little sweetheart, so even if it weren't a gift from his dead wife, it's entirely believable that he'd go absolutely berserk going after the people responsible.

And one of my favourite things about the villain in the second one was just how insufferable he was. Like when Wick catches up to him in the restaurant at the Continental, he's sitting there, loving LOUDLY CHEWING WITH HIS MOUTH OPEN WHILE MAKING THAT GROSS SMACKING SOUND LIKE AN ABSOLUTE oval office, and when Ian McShane's character tells Wick to put his gun away, he just smugly goes "yeah, put it away" like a snivelling little gently caress. It's actually been a while since I'd seen a villain that just made me think "oh, you absolute penis!" whenever he appeared on screen, so hats off to that actor.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

McSpanky posted:

They should look to other long-running franchises for inspiration:

John Wick
John Wick Chapter 2
John Wick III: The Search For Pups
The First John Wick
John Wick Part 5
Wick 6
John Wick Episode VII
John Wick Apocalypse
John Wick: Infinity War

John Wick: Apocawicks

I hate you for making me think this

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Vagabundo posted:

Also the dog is an adorable little sweetheart, so even if it weren't a gift from his dead wife, it's entirely believable that he'd go absolutely berserk going after the people responsible.

Haha, yeah. It wasn't just his dog. His dying wife got him the dog -- as a going away present

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Accretionist posted:

Haha, yeah. It wasn't just his dog. His dying wife got him the dog -- as a going away present

Yeah she knew that leaving him alone would have been very very bad.

The note with the dog read "John, I'm sorry I can't be there for you. But you still need something, someone to love. So start with this. Because the car doesn't count. I love you John. This illness has loomed over us for a long time and now that I have found my peace, find yours. Until that day, your best friend, Helen."

Looking over it again I'm not 100% certain that "the illness" she refers to is her cancer or whatever the gently caress is going on in John's head.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Maybe this time the fish bowl aquarium man will make Peter murder all the superheroes and we will get Old Man Spidey, which will also include the twist that his sperm gave Mary Jane cancer

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtOwfo1ypOw

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A24, Robert Pattinson, Mia Goth, space. I'm in.

It's like they made pulled this right out of my subconscious.

edit: whoa that's Andre3000?

Ehud fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 16, 2019

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Jason Reitman made a secret Ghostbusters movie. Here's a teaser.

https://twitter.com/JasonReitman/status/1085592444387774464

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is making. The thing's not cast yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Ghostbusters gonna suck rear end just like the last new Ghostbusters sucked rear end