Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Why does the Heisei Mothra movie get such a bad rap? Maybe I'm just half-remembering the action scenes, but I always thought it was rad and found Battra a nice addition to the Godzilla-Mothra dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My major problem is the amount of time spent on the Indiana Jones rip-off poo poo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I thought the Indiana Jones rip-off guy was kinda funny, for just genuinely being a loser.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I liked how (at least on the subtitles of the Sony bluray), the ex-wife offers to get back together with Indiana Jones as long as he doesn't sell the Cosmos to the evil western businessman.

I came for the kaiju. I wasn't expecting such beautiful reconciliation and romance.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watched Final Wars and they could've cut out the Mutants/Xilians stuff and lost nothing of real importance

I just skipped to the kaiju bits and "Godzilla getting frozen, monsters appearing everywhere, Godzilla breaks free and kicks their butts" still works as a story

Also quite amused by the Take Thats to the American Godzilla that is literally just a T-Rex, both here and in GMK

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Zilla scene is perfect in every way. The bad CG, the Sum 41, the fact that it's less than a minute.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My main problem with GMK (and a that Orga kaiju as well) is that the monsters seemed like they belonged more in a weekly tokusatsu show than in the Godzilla franchise. Monster X was loving dumb as poo poo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If I was introducing someone who hadn't seen a Godzilla movie before, I'd probably have them watch the original, to see the highest artistic achievements of Godzilla as a drama, followed by Final Wars as the one with the highest achievements playing the concept as a goof.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd show them Son of Godzilla.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

K. Waste posted:

Those first two are actually good.

No they aren't.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Fsmhunk posted:

No they aren't.

They are, though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsoEDVRAqOT/

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s ok to like bad things. I love SpaceGodzilla.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i rewatched american godzilla recently and tbh it wasnt as bad as i remembered, like yeah the cgi is atrocious but the everything else is alright

like not to the level where id call it good but it wasnt the worst thing ever, really just kind of mediocre

kinda felt weird about it tho when the military was destroying the city with missiles and stuff, like if i didnt know it was created in 98 i'd think the script writers were 9/11 truthers

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Godzilla 98 is kinda great in that respect, the military does more damage to the city than Zilla ever did.

And I do like Zilla as a kaiju. She's not Godzilla, but I could buy her just fine as a monitor lizard to Godzilla's komodo dragon. She's smart, she's fast, and she's a natural tunneler.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

mandatory lesbian posted:

kinda felt weird about it tho when the military was destroying the city with missiles and stuff, like if i didnt know it was created in 98 i'd think the script writers were 9/11 truthers

Cythereal posted:

Godzilla 98 is kinda great in that respect, the military does more damage to the city than Zilla ever did.

The mayor - who is Roger Ebert - literally says this.

G'98 is a hard movie to un-package in retrospect because besides being a boiler-plate blockbuster, it came at the tail end of the '90s where there was still this aloof, cinema du look vibe inspired by French action movies. Emmerich literally even cast the French as good guys whose 'soft touch' is contrasted with the Americans who just shoot themselves in the foot. He cast Leon the Professional in a major role where all he does for the most part is sit in an apartment and complain about how lovely American coffee is. The whole movie is an elaborate, effete European liberal punk on American culture.

It's just that for whatever reason, some folks, and G-fans in particular, convince themselves that these obvious comic bits are just "comic relief," whereas they interpret the entire self-evidently farcical scenario of the film as an accident. Like, Emmerich and Devlin just accidentally made a film that is for all intents and purposes a completely faithful adaptation of corny post-war American creature-features, but just escalated to the maximalist conventions of contemporary blockbusters. Like they just accidentally got Rage Against the Machine to record and song and music video that slags off their movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

i rewatched american godzilla recently and tbh it wasnt as bad as i remembered, like yeah the cgi is atrocious but the everything else is alright

like not to the level where id call it good but it wasnt the worst thing ever, really just kind of mediocre

The movie is a HARD 90s movie, in that it's totally and COMPLETELY flippant about city destruction in a way that no movie has ever been since 2001.

This is literally not a film that would have been made the way it was post 9/11, except maybe recently. Because those moments of the jets blowing up buildings are played for laughs, they're a joke. not even black humor- they're just straight up a gag. The pilot even gets an exaggerated "eee" face like he just broke a vase.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If I wanted to introduce someone to Godzilla films I'd show them Shin Godzilla, because it has the advantages of being recent, combining the comedic and dramatic parts of the franchise perfectly, and is probably the second-best Godzilla film overall. (Much as I love Invasion of Astro-Monster.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

or maybe I'd show them Godzilla vs. Mothra, which I think is the way I actually in fact introduced someone to Godzilla (before Shin came out)

there are so many good Godzilla movies

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What are the "good" Godzilla movie?

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

UmOk posted:

The kiryu movies

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

UmOk posted:

Godzilla (1954)
Godzilla Vs Hedorah (1971)
Shin Godzilla (2016)

The rest are entertaining as hell but personally those are the only ones I found threatening and horrific (even though Hedorah has some incredibly goofy poo poo in it)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'd have to rewatch a number of them that I haven't seen in a decade to give a real accounting but tbh if you like Godzilla you're already onboard with watching low budget children's movies from the 60s so might as well watch each of them once.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh yeah for sure. I mean I love the hell out of Godzilla talking to Rodan because it’s incredibly fun.

Edit; I’m getting the Shin Godzilla UHD soon but will double dip if Critereon puts out their copy of Shin.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

UmOk posted:

Most of them, honestly. They have the highest hit-or-miss ratio relative to a franchise that's been going on as long as they have.

edit: Terror of Mechagodzilla is a personal fav

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Space Godzilla is only good for the suits but you can zone out while watching it

Like here's the trick with Godzilla films- even the worst Godzilla movies, the WORST ones, are on a whole other level compared to the worst of most other franchise films. Especially Gamera.

The Worst Gamera films are SO MUCH WORSE than a 'bad' Godzilla movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm pretty sure I've heard people making GBS threads on the original Showa-era Gamera in this thread

these people are insane, it owns

rest of the series i haven't seen and can't really speak to

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm pretty sure I've heard people making GBS threads on the original Showa-era Gamera in this thread

these people are insane, it owns

rest of the series i haven't seen and can't really speak to

The original Gamera is fantastic especially the Gammera the Invincible dub which is such a piece of poo poo it's great

Barugon is boring, Gyaos is great and oh god no the rest

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
I think GMK's a good starting point for getting people into the series, it sits at a nice crossroads between the grim original film and the monster-mash sequels, and it's simply good to boot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Gamera: Super Monster (1980) seems like the worst giant monster film. I don't actually want to watch it to confirm, though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Vs Guiron and vs Viras are both pure-strain insanity. Vs. Zigra is ambitious in that they tried for underwater kaiju action, but boy does it not work.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Zigra was also probably not helped by being made just before Daiei went out of business. (And Super Monster Gamera was someone trying to restart the company on a shoestring budget.)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
My favorite part of Gamera vs. Viras is how they re-use black and white stock footage from the first movie in a film that's otherwise in color. Almost like they're daring you to complain.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

K. Waste posted:

It's just that for whatever reason, some folks, and G-fans in particular, convince themselves that these obvious comic bits are just "comic relief," whereas they interpret the entire self-evidently farcical scenario of the film as an accident. Like, Emmerich and Devlin just accidentally made a film that is for all intents and purposes a completely faithful adaptation of corny post-war American creature-features, but just escalated to the maximalist conventions of contemporary blockbusters. Like they just accidentally got Rage Against the Machine to record and song and music video that slags off their movie.

None of that means it is interesting or good. It was really dull and the humor made sure I didn't care about anything happening in the movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

None of that means it is interesting or good.

The film is interesting and good.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
There's a reason Godzilla 98 was panned by both critics and audiences, and it wasn't because they were salty about its depiction of Godzilla.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A movie can be interesting and not good. Many bad movies are interesting and the subject of much enjoyable discussion while being unenjoyable to watch.

I mostly remember Godzilla 98 as the first movie I remember wanting to walk out of, mostly because I was a kid and the baby godzillas scared me but still.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Did Criterion ever end up doing anything with all of the Showa Godzilla movies they got the rights to past the original?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HannibalBarca posted:

My favorite part of Gamera vs. Viras is how they re-use black and white stock footage from the first movie in a film that's otherwise in color. Almost like they're daring you to complain.

My favourite part is when Viras decapitated all his underlings with one flick of his tentacle, and then they all combine into one big Viras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't say I like G98

But I don't mind that it exists. I wish it had been better, but it gave us good things and it, itself, still isn't the worst movie in the franchise.

Space Godzilla.

I'm looking at you.

I'm looking directly at you.

gently caress you.

Also Gamera Super Monster isn't a real movie