Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are a few optimal setups depending but imho what I'd recommend using now is

The starting sloop

vailian hullbreakers on each side

Sail close up, two broadsides of grape, board.

That was it, thanks! I don't like the ship mini game, I always board, so that should be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I’m playing the Sanctum DLC now and I built Fassina as a Druid/Wizard (Sorcerer.) I focused on Druid skills only taking wiz passives and using grimoirs for Wiz spells. I’ve decided this class is amazing, can do anything, and will be my next player class. Anyone else fans of the Sorcerer?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If they did do a Poe3 and had you as a new character I dunno what other character conceit they could use. If you're not a Watcher, where else is there to go? Maybe an envoy of the Gods with special powers like Thaos? Or an animancer? Both seem way too limiting for roleplaying though.

I assume you'd just be a Watcher again unless they have some other soul gimmick they can come up with for why your PC is special.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Godlike of the Watcher as the Watcher attained Godhood while fixing the wheel. The time between games and the Watcher being a god would allow them to write around all the variables of people's Watchers.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i hope my watcher can finally date eder in poe3

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Having the wheel already be fixed in the next game would be like... :psyduck:

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I wish they would do a more IWD style game in the engine, focus more on dungeon crawling than story. Not that the story is bad just would like a more combat oriented game with this engine and the class options.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fried Sushi posted:

I wish they would do a more IWD style game in the engine, focus more on dungeon crawling than story. Not that the story is bad just would like a more combat oriented game with this engine and the class options.

A custom dungeon/map/campaign editor would be awesome for PoE 3.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

That was it, thanks! I don't like the ship mini game, I always board, so that should be perfect.

yeah it works great. Maybe a little risky on ironman because you can theoretically get one shotted by the biggest ships but that's a theoretical concern because you have a defensive bonus as a small ship.

You can use the flamethrowers also.

You can buy one vailian hullbreaker in port maje and get the rest by doing the vailian bounties.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Avalerion posted:

Having the wheel already be fixed in the next game would be like... :psyduck:

Not if there's a specific guy who takes credit for repairing the Wheel in every scenario trying to turn himself into a god, and the ending is you stopping him from that.

"Hunt a god-- for real this time!"

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

...did they nerfed Citzal's Spirit Lance, the aoe doesn't seem to work with abilities anymore. :argh: Least that rules out monk/wizard as a potential watcher build but No Fun Allowed indeed...

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
They could take us to the Not-Underdark and kill Not-Balrogs. They haven't touched Epic Levels yet!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

yeah it works great. Maybe a little risky on ironman because you can theoretically get one shotted by the biggest ships but that's a theoretical concern because you have a defensive bonus as a small ship.

You can use the flamethrowers also.

You can buy one vailian hullbreaker in port maje and get the rest by doing the vailian bounties.

Yep I bought the one from Port Make and fitted the other slots with Flamethrowers. Didn't know you could get an extra hullbreaker from bounties, thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Avalerion posted:

...did they nerfed Citzal's Spirit Lance, the aoe doesn't seem to work with abilities anymore. :argh: Least that rules out monk/wizard as a potential watcher build but No Fun Allowed indeed...

One thing i've noticed they nerfed: you can't stealth during conversations any more, it immediately makes you "seen" when you exit the convo. Makes it a lot harder to pickpocket Shrimp's ring.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man, the challenges can be a real pain, especially the 'tote Vela into combat' one. Was finishing beast of winter and I must have tried the last fight with the dragon 15 times, at about 40% health it does a dragon leap to the character with the lowest deflection it seems.... which is always Vela, so yay, instant game over. I tried flooding the battle field with item summons and chanter summons, interrupting shot from my PC ranger/cypher and Maia, even empowered, but could never get through the concentration. Even tried interruption consumables like potions and such, and paralyze spells, such as gaze of the adragan. Only thing that worked some was knock down from Eder, but he can only hit it so many times so fast. Finally went all the way back to the town and changed out Maia for Aloth, for the cocoon spell. Got all the way back to the dragon and.... talked him into going and fighting Rymrgand. The extra Arcana must have pushed me over into accessing that conversation option. Well, a win is a win.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can't you just craft a bunch of Withdraw scrolls?

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Furism posted:

Also I think the OP is missing Vatnir and what level to get him, too.

Can anyone tell me what this means? I haven’t played thru the full game/dlc yet. Should I go pick vatnir up at a certain level for something?

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 14, 2019

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Truecon420 posted:

Can anyone tell me what this means? I haven’t played thru the full game/dlc yet. Should I go pick vatnir up and a certain level for something?

It's mostly just the fact that there is a boss fight before you get to Vatnir and if you don't get there at the appropriate level it will wipe the floor with your party.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's mostly just the fact that there is a boss fight before you get to Vatnir and if you don't get there at the appropriate level it will wipe the floor with your party.

Ah word, that makes sense. Thank you! When should I be doing the dlc anyways?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

this will depend on your difficulty settings but i think generally 15-16 for BoW, and level 18 for SSS and FS

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Berke Negri posted:

this is why the no mods no masters ending is canon

Every time one of these games says something like "You can be independent, but it's harder" it's the same as saying there's only one possible path for me. It was like this with Deadfire and Tyranny. Especially since there's always this grey area thing were all sides are unlikable assholes

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

In this case it's not really hard though, you just get all the bad endings. Tyranny actually made you fight everyone if going total rear end in a top hat.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Independent in this game should definitely have made you fight every faction, strongest to weakest

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Truecon420 posted:

Can anyone tell me what this means? I haven’t played thru the full game/dlc yet. Should I go pick vatnir up at a certain level for something?

The quest where you can find him is level 14.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you want to get him earlier, you can also set the difficulty to Story Mode and turn on full level scaling. It’s a bit cheesy, but it only affects that one fight and he’s the only recruitable priest who’s not Xoti if that’s a thing you care about. You can turn right around and leave until you’re at an appropriate level to do the rest of the BoW content.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Avalerion posted:

In this case it's not really hard though, you just get all the bad endings. Tyranny actually made you fight everyone if going total rear end in a top hat.

But Tyranny is also pretty easy. I was forced into that route since the old man and the king of psychos refused to cooperate. And while I admit I was on classic difficulty, there wasn't a single boss that was as difficult as the regular encounters. Let alone dragons in Pillars.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only path that forces you to fight everyone is the rebel path where you explicitly reject the other Archons, and you can still recruit Tunon if you managed to stay on his good side.

Though the best ending is definitely the one where you side with the Scarlet Chorus and make Lantry the new Archon of Secrets. He turns the Chorus into an order of archivists and spends his time writing down every secret Nerat knew, while also developing a new kind of hallucinogenic ink that becomes the Chorus' trademark.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else get a “Hermaous Mora” meets “ Planescape Torment” vibe from the new DLC? Me definitely am!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

nerdz posted:

Every time one of these games says something like "You can be independent, but it's harder" it's the same as saying there's only one possible path for me. It was like this with Deadfire and Tyranny. Especially since there's always this grey area thing were all sides are unlikable assholes

i told maia from the get go in the palace i am no one's puppet and girl i was not playing*

*cause maia ended up dead**

**as did the RDC***

***and i still sailed away

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you want to get him earlier, you can also set the difficulty to Story Mode and turn on full level scaling. It’s a bit cheesy, but it only affects that one fight and he’s the only recruitable priest who’s not Xoti if that’s a thing you care about. You can turn right around and leave until you’re at an appropriate level to do the rest of the BoW content.

Just started that quest at level 14 (PotD) for the first time. That was fun. Got my rear end handed to me by The Messenger, I have no idea where all the damage came from. I'll try again today when I'm fresher (attempted this after like 8 hours straight on the game yesterday, I was a bit burnt out).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Furism posted:

Just started that quest at level 14 (PotD) for the first time. That was fun. Got my rear end handed to me by The Messenger, I have no idea where all the damage came from. I'll try again today when I'm fresher (attempted this after like 8 hours straight on the game yesterday, I was a bit burnt out).

I did it at very low level also. If you are very on point with your interrupts it's possible but otherwise she'll outpace your damage with healing from corrosive siphon or just splat you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For those of you who beat the game and all DLC, how long did it take? I heard the game was short, but I just finished the last DLC and am at 75 hours played, with the endgame still to go.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I ended up at over 100 hours with all DLC, but that was on a playthrough with no fast mode(to Enhance my Immersion) and a good few hours of that probably came from leaving it idle while doing other stuff. 75-80 sounds about right

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

2house2fly posted:

I ended up at over 100 hours with all DLC, but that was on a playthrough with no fast mode(to Enhance my Immersion) and a good few hours of that probably came from leaving it idle while doing other stuff. 75-80 sounds about right

Ok good, glad it's not just me. I only use fast mode to back track. I still have a few bounties as well as all the SSS DLC trinkey collecting missions. All told, this game is really impressive and I truly hope for a third game. Nothing would be better than our all-powerful watcher dethroning/joining/protecting the gods themselves, Throne of Bhaal style.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

For those of you who beat the game and all DLC, how long did it take? I heard the game was short, but I just finished the last DLC and am at 75 hours played, with the endgame still to go.

The main quest is short, the game itself is huge.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I heard the game was short

The main quest is pretty short, yeah. Tutorial Island, Neketaka, Hasango, Magran's Teeth, and then Ukaizo. You don't even need to do any faction quests if you can afford the max-level ship hull and sails because you can do the No Gods No Masters route.

You'd probably have to sidequest for levels unless you've got downscaling enabled, and you'd probably have to sidequest for gold(maybe not with the +55k Berath's boons, I have not done the math), but that's all you really need to do to beat the game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Khizan posted:

You'd probably have to sidequest for levels unless you've got downscaling enabled, and you'd probably have to sidequest for gold(maybe not with the +55k Berath's boons, I have not done the math), but that's all you really need to do to beat the game.

Even on Veteran (granted I've used upscaling) is felt like I'm too early to Hasango. But then I took my time and did most of everything before Magran's Teeth and it was smooth sailing from there. I suppose that on Normal/Veteran you could ignore many of the quests and have a nice experience. This is the way I like it: sidequests are true "side" activities and you do them only when you want rewards or interested in the story. This way multi-choice quests are not that important because you're defined by what quests you do, not by how you do them. Usually, RPGs have the problem of evil madmen still getting kittens from the trees but being rude about it. Because the game can't afford to have side quests and most of them are sort of necessary, like Witcher 1-2 or Numenera.

Someone mentioned that independent playthrough feels like an only real playthrough to them and it made me think. In a game like Fallout New Vegas independent play could be the longest or shortest one because you could interact with every faction in the world while if you affiliate yourself with someone then you only care about specific set of factions. But do I understand correctly that in PoE2 getting cool ship and sails means that you just ignore all that Deadfire thing and sail to do your business? It feels like the shortest path with no real benefit. And it's not like FNV/Tyranny path of becoming the greatest guy, this way you can get a playthrough were no one hears about you after you visit royal palace in Neketaka once.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In case you wanted even more confirmation that turn-based is coming, the latest modding tutorial for Deadfire has a screenshot in it that uses the turn-based UI: https://forums.obsidian.net/uploads/monthly_01_2019/post-113185-0-59921200-1547582385.png

Obsidian is really not that great at hiding things, but it's okay. It's an open secret now anyway. :allears:

EDIT: In Deadfire independent (aside from being kind of a bad ending) basically just means you ignore the faction stuff for Ukaizo. Length is still dependent on how much you engage with the game, but the length of the required playthrough comes down to how fast you can do all the required steps, and there are less than any of the other faction-based endings.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The citzal nerf killed my interest in my wizard/monk so restarting again and dropping the wizard.

Chanter also ended up disapointing, good as an aura bot but phrases still come too slow to utilize chants so I’ll just leave Tekehu as a pure druid - is there any good way to improve spell penentration, finding it to acually be an issue for casters on higher difficulties.

Serafen as a cipher with a mortar did well so I’m coming around to him, thinking he’d be even bether with a rogue dual class - at least until they nerf mortar aoe too. :argh:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Does it matter much where you buy this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

anatomi posted:

Does it matter much where you buy this game?

Discord's store doesn't have the DLC, and I think Steam gets the patches a little faster, though I think GOG is pretty close by now (and they also get the betas by now). Know nothing about Origin or any other storefront, but I imagine they're similar to GOG but without the betas.

I think that's all?