Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What’s your record for longest single conference call?

Mine is 7 hrs starting at 5:50 AM

It was supposed to be a quick network refresh job where we replaced the router and switch and installed a couple new wireless APs.
But they had at least 4 or 5 sites calling in to the same conference bridge at once, and the remote tech was going through the ones where poo poo actually worked and getting them checked out before coming back to those of us at sites where poo poo wasn’t working and needed troubleshooting. I figured out myself within an hour or two that the problem was probably that it was a bridged connection and they hadn’t programmed the PPPoE login into the new gateway, but it was hours before I got the guy at the other end to try actually testing that and contacting the ISP for credentials, since he was helping everyone else first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Weatherman posted:

I hope it was "Red Alert".

Related: I want one of those big gently caress-off red buttons on my desk that when I smash it, it starts blasting Red Alert through the office and triggers a bunch of rotating red lights.

Not gonna lie, when I read "blasting Red Alert" I thought you meant Hells March.

Which frankly I'd love to blast through the office of the client from hell (ironic considering who they are) that I've been dealing with over the last two weeks.

And by blast through the office, I mean have blasting over speakers mounted on the tank I drive through the building.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We've got a ticket backlog of over a week and a user was calling up bugging me about a ticket they filed an hour ago.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Jaded Burnout posted:

We've got a ticket backlog of over a week and a user was calling up bugging me about a ticket they filed an hour ago.

People keep Slacking me "Hey I filed a ticket can you double check I did it right" thinking they're slick.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Inspector_666 posted:

People keep Slacking me "Hey I filed a ticket can you double check I did it right" thinking they're slick.

"You sure did, you're currently #57 in the queue"
*Toggles DnD*

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

spaghetti code

"Error: No Sauce found"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

Mine is 7 hrs starting at 5:50 AM

It was supposed to be a quick network refresh job where we replaced the router and switch and installed a couple new wireless APs.
But they had at least 4 or 5 sites calling in to the same conference bridge at once, and the remote tech was going through the ones where poo poo actually worked and getting them checked out before coming back to those of us at sites where poo poo wasn’t working and needed troubleshooting. I figured out myself within an hour or two that the problem was probably that it was a bridged connection and they hadn’t programmed the PPPoE login into the new gateway, but it was hours before I got the guy at the other end to try actually testing that and contacting the ISP for credentials, since he was helping everyone else first.

6 hours, handing off to a colleague who was on night shift, who was on the full night, with the conference bridge still open when I got back in the next day.

Granted, nearly nothing happened out of hours

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"Error: No Sauce found"

Perhaps try the pomodoro technique

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

mehall posted:

6 hours, handing off to a colleague who was on night shift, who was on the full night, with the conference bridge still open when I got back in the next day.

Granted, nearly nothing happened out of hours

Yep, been there done that (except I was the night shift guy taking the call off mute every hour or so saying 'Yep, still here. Yep, still broken').
Management directive was we couldn't get off the phone until the vendor fixed the issue.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I did 14 hours when orchestrating a data center move from HK to NA. All-nighters are fun

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Not gonna lie, when I read "blasting Red Alert" I thought you meant Hells March.
Same, and that makes me wish it was a thing even more!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Which frankly I'd love to blast through the office of the client from hell (ironic considering who they are) that I've been dealing with over the last two weeks.

And by blast through the office, I mean have blasting over speakers mounted on the tank I drive through the building.

:hfive: The Red Alert soundtrack owns, definitely.

Can we compromise? I'll have Basement Jaxx's Red Alert for the "sudden sensory overload" button in the office, but I'll gladly help you mount a set of speakers that blast Hells March on the killdozer you drive into said office.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Entropic posted:

10h+

Someone deleted the core DNS record for the organization.

That was just one call. Concatenate the calls over the forthcoming days and I spent more than 36 hours on the phone in 4 days.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Entropic posted:

~12 hours, and it started when I had like 4 hours of sleep. Mind you for most of that time I was on mute waiting for other people to do stuff but still it hosed up my whole weekend because our QA group didn't test something that they should have.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Inspector_666 posted:

"I can".

Master the zen answer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Arquinsiel posted:

"I can".

Master the zen answer.

That's good. They usually don't respond when I ask them for the ticket number so I'm able to wash my hands of it either way.

When we got bought early last year we went from 2-man helpdesk for ~200 employees to a huge support org made up for multiple layers for ~2000 people and somehow everybody still assumes I see every single ticket that gets created.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

10h+

Someone deleted the core DNS record for the organization.

That was just one call. Concatenate the calls over the forthcoming days and I spent more than 36 hours on the phone in 4 days.

The one where the primary datacenter rebooted was going for 18 hours+ when I left for the day.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I had a bumper day today.

I had to call HP for a warranty and not only did their voice-recognition software abruptly hang up on me with "We do not support that language, goodbye" the first time I said "zed book" but, after successfully navigating to a person with the secret passphrase "business notebook", the phone call ended with a supportive "I will do the needful for you".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I was on a call for 16 hours, but it was running for longer than I was on it. Someone, somehow, dropped most of our table indexes on the live environment. The system was slow as hell and did not work, at all, and everyone was trying to figure out what they needed to do to fix it.

I got a call at 8AM from my supervisor telling me I needed to get on this call immediately. Turns out he just wanted someone from our team(even though the limit of my ability and access was the capacity to say "yup it's still slow.") on the call so he could go to sleep.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 16, 2019

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I love getting developer tickets that are essentially "why does this spaghetti code macro I wrote not run properly?" Like I don't know man, you wrote the thing. How about you fix it?

fake edit: as I typed this I was provided a screenshot saying "Compile error: can't find project or library".

Yeah I've fixed basic errors in developers' code before, when I was doing end-user support. Buddy, you're paid like three times what I am despite clearly not deserving it, this is not my problem.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropic posted:

9 days. We cutover to a new system and had a proactive conference on in case anything went to poo poo. Everything went to poo poo.

To be fair, most of that was dead air, and everyone went about their lives while this conference was sitting active in the corner waiting for the development team to figure stuff out in the test environment. But there were random status updates at all times of the day so it would get random bursts of activity for a few hours here and there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

9 days. We cutover to a new system and had a proactive conference on in case anything went to poo poo. Everything went to poo poo.

To be fair, most of that was dead air, and everyone went about their lives while this conference was sitting active in the corner waiting for the development team to figure stuff out in the test environment. But there were random status updates at all times of the day so it would get random bursts of activity for a few hours here and there.

Why would you not just use a ticket?! :psyduck:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why would you not just use a ticket?! :psyduck:

ahahaha you think anyone other than the NOC actually look at tickets

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

ahahaha you think anyone other than the NOC actually look at tickets

Oh god, you poor soul :ohdear:.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A non-insignificant portion of my day is receiving an e-mail asking for a ticket to be opened, so I just copy/paste the e-mail into the ticket and assign it to that person. Then they never contact me when they complete the work, so the ticket stays there indefinitely.

Then, come review time, I start getting angry phone calls asking why that person has an 8 month old open ticket sitting on them and they tell me I need to close it now. But they can't provide resolution details or a time of repair because it wasn't documented anywhere.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Oh yeah, because of the importance of ticket metrics, whenever people are left to close their own tickets, they always finagle it in a way so that it gets swept under the rug and doesn't hit on any negative reporting. Or if they can't avoid having an outage on them, they'll fudge the time frame so it looks like a 2 hour outage only lasted 10 minutes.

Because of this, most departments had their ability to close tickets removed, so they have to go through me. So another one of my responsibilities is telling people to get hosed, no I won't change this 8 hour ticket to 15 minutes unless you send me some kind of proof.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Renegret posted:

Was this before Slack, Discord, Hipchat, Skype, etc. all the way back to IRC?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

baquerd posted:

Text chat is unprofessional and they need to stay in touch* with all affected parties during this CRISIS!!

*Sound important and look like they're doing something.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

baquerd posted:

This company is stuck in the 00's.

A few of us tried to get Slack going but it never caught on because nobody likes change. It's hard organizing things with so many people of different technical abilities and backgrounds. So for the most part, text chats work within a single department but it hasn't worked out for cross department communication.

The more practical answer is we have a lot of troubleshooting bridge calls that involve filed techs who don't have easy access to a computer. For our purposes it's just more convenient to use phone calls instead of group chats.

e: Also that conference involved hundreds of people and, for departments like mine, it's easier to stick it on a phone in the corner and crank the volume instead of getting everyone a slack invite on an individual basis.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 16, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Text chat is unprofessional and they need to stay in touch* with all affected parties during this CRISIS!!

*Sound important and look like they're doing something.

This was basically the exact wording of why a $$$$$$ client made my team sit on a nearly two day long call that we did precisely gently caress all during. "Why can't this be accomplished in a ticket?" was swiftly rebuked by "well email updates to a ticket don't have urgency!" and their sales toady went over our heads.

(Note that the two-day-long conference call was a compromise, because their initial request had been that we fly a tech out to their HQ to basically do the same thing.)

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Well my desk is being moved. I am sadly losing my excellent window cube and being moved to an open space to share with 3 other people. No window, no walls.

They're gonna judge my shitposting....

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Well my desk is being moved. I am sadly losing my excellent window cube and being moved to an open space to share with 3 other people. No window, no walls.

This would mean its time to find a new job for me. That sounds awful.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I have only experienced open office space.

Maybe one day ill experience what it's like to have my own office. besides wfh

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

had a similar song and dance today. my privacy is completely gone and my forums browsing is already impacted. this blows

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Literally same here. I guess they want to consolidate IT on one floor. They also have to move our hardware lab, which will no doubt result in another two months of, "why aren't our lab ports on the provisioning VLAN? No, I still can't image. No, I never could image since we moved in. Yes, there are like 10 tickets about this. Could you just loving fix it right already?"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

xsf421 posted:

The one where the primary datacenter rebooted was going for 18 hours+ when I left for the day.

Was that prior to 2014? I feel like I would have remembered that.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

*muffled explosion*
Ticket lost.

Ticket lost.

Ticket lost.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sefal posted:

I have only experienced open office space.

Maybe one day ill experience what it's like to have my own office. besides wfh

I remember when cubicles were considered dehumanizing

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If Minecraft has taught us anything it's that nerds love nerdholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I like how at some point in the last few weeks someone somewhere decided to turn on SCCM reporting, with gems like this:

These are the infections of this malware:
1. Computer name: XXX-123456.company.com
Domain: company
Detection time(UTC time): 1/16/2019 4:38:57 PM Malware file path: blahblahblah
Remediation action: NoAction
Action status: Succeeded
To view further information about malware activity in your organization, run Malware Details Report.

Mission accomplished guys lets go for beers