Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My kids are 8, 6, 4 and 2. The older ones are old enough to enjoy Teen Titans Go and The Amazing World of Gumball, and suddenly I'm ok with having the tv on a lot more!

We went through a Miraculous (on Netflix) phase and they ask to watch the Pac-Man show (also on Netflix) but I do try to keep the screentime to a minimum. If they're watching anything, hopefully it's something everyone can enjoy.

They discovered the Xploration series of TV shows and love them, it started with Xploration Outer Space. They also saw a TV show in Europe they liked, it was fake animals placed in the wild and hidden cameras record real animals trying to interact with them. They literally talk about that show all the time, but we can't seem to find it anywhere here in the US.

Thankfully we are out of the Mickey Mouse stage, though they all still love Duggee. Who doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Tumbleleaf is currently popular with my 4 year old. I dig the music

Tumbleleaf is like top top shelf poo poo. That show is so good and non patronizing. I'd argue it's the best current kids show out there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Trying to figure out the logistics of flying a 4 month old across country where we’ll stay with my mom for a week-I read some of the tips about flying, but any more info is appreciated.

We have a car seat here but we have to get the kid to the airport with us. My mom doesn’t have a car seat where she lives.

Right now I’m thinking two possibilities:

1) to have my sister drive us to the airport, using our car seat in her car.

Then we’ll just have the kid with us holding him from drop off until pickup-that’s going to be a long time-the flight alone is 5 hours.

Then I can buy one of those Cosco scenera seats and have it shipped to my mom where she’ll install the seat and come pick us up at the airport.

2) have my sister drop us off and we take the car seat with us. This way we can at least put him in it for some time at the airport. Only thing I don’t know is do I have to check the car seat in a box for the flight? Then I just use it at my moms house and that’s done.

Any other options I’m not thinking of?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nwin posted:

Trying to figure out the logistics of flying a 4 month old across country where we’ll stay with my mom for a week-I read some of the tips about flying, but any more info is appreciated.

We have a car seat here but we have to get the kid to the airport with us. My mom doesn’t have a car seat where she lives.

Then we’ll just have the kid with us holding him from drop off until pickup-that’s going to be a long time-the flight alone is 5 hours.

Then I can buy one of those Cosco scenera seats and have it shipped to my mom where she’ll install the seat and come pick us up at the airport.

2) have my sister drop us off and we take the car seat with us. This way we can at least put him in it for some time at the airport. Only thing I don’t know is do I have to check the car seat in a box for the flight? Then I just use it at my moms house and that’s done.

Do you have a ticket for the kid? If so then bring your car seat onto the plane and put him in it, it's not that bad and way easier than alternatives once you're in the air. If you're just going to keep him on your laps then check the car seat, you can do it at the gate if you'd like the airlines all make accommodations for car seats and strollers. You can get a carseat checking bag on amazon they aren't expensive. When we did it I got some rolling thing that the carseat attaches too and wheeled her through the airport like a piece of luggage. It was amazing, but expensive and we only did it once so maybe not worth the cost amazing if it's only 1 trip.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

If you purchase a seat for your 4 month old, then you can take the car seat onto the plane, and install it in the seat. As I understand, you are legally allowed to board with any seat that is FAA approved, even if the flight attendants tell you it won't fit (mine sure did after they told me it wouldn't). Having the kid in a car seat on the plane is much safer in case of bad turbulence or emergency landings, and if your baby is used to the car seat, maybe they will sleep some there.

For checking the car seat, you don't need a box, but some cover or bag that contains the straps is a good idea. Some people are very worried about checked car seats getting damaged. We've done this before.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Plan 2 sounds fine. Take a box (any reasonable box) for your car seat and protect it with a bit of padding (e.g. baby clothes, etc). Most airlines are fine with that. Don't seal the box until the airport as they often want to look in it at the check in desk.

Know your airline's rules and luggage limits for kids, they do vary but are often more generous than they seem.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

nwin posted:

Buying a seat for your kid is absolutely 100% the best option. (I disagree about hauling vs buying: Having a cheap seat shipped to your mom is probably second best; your car seat doesn't risk getting lost or damaged, you don't have to drag it around since you're not using it in the airport, and then you can potentially take it back with you and have an extra car seat (perhaps for another car). The exception is if the car seat snaps into a stroller frame that you already have: then it's probably better to haul it.)

But seriously, if you haven't bought the tickets already and it's at all remotely affordable, buy a seat for your kid. Every passenger on the plane should be in their own seat.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also it's so nice to strap the kid into their seat and enjoy all your limbs for a bit. I would not want to hold a kid a whole cross country flighy

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Recently flew over Christmas with a 3 mo old. Granted this was only a 2 hour flight. We have a carrier that also doubles as a car seat. It has hooks that you run the seat belt through twice. So we just used this for our car seat to and from the airport. We checked it at the gate (you can buy a car seat travel bag for this) and used it to carry the baby around the air port too. We held the baby in lap for the whole 2 hours. It wasn't too difficult.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cocks Cable posted:

We checked it at the gate (you can buy a car seat travel bag for this) and used it to carry the baby around the air port too. We held the baby in lap for the whole 2 hours. It wasn't too difficult.

When we traveled with our son when he was 4 months we had a foldable BoB stroller, checked his car seat with the rest of our baggage and gate-checked the stroller.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Flying with Pneumonia? Babby (17 months) just visited the doctor this morning and was diagnosed with Pneumonia. We were planning on flying 4 hours on friday to attend a wedding in California. Doctor says if she shows improvement in a couple of days with amoxicillin, she's cleared to fly, but I've heard flying with colds/respiratory issues is pretty tough. Anybody flown with sick babies?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No, but flying with a headcold as an adult is pretty lovely, I can't imagine how miserable the kiddo will be.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pneumonia is nothing to trifle with, especially with a kid that age. If it were me I would err on the side of caution. Flying with (and for) kids can be miserable at the best of times, let alone when they're really sick.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

zonohedron posted:

Buying a seat for your kid is absolutely 100% the best option. (I disagree about hauling vs buying: Having a cheap seat shipped to your mom is probably second best; your car seat doesn't risk getting lost or damaged, you don't have to drag it around since you're not using it in the airport, and then you can potentially take it back with you and have an extra car seat (perhaps for another car). The exception is if the car seat snaps into a stroller frame that you already have: then it's probably better to haul it.)

But seriously, if you haven't bought the tickets already and it's at all remotely affordable, buy a seat for your kid. Every passenger on the plane should be in their own seat.

Yeah, it makes sense to buy the kid his own seat honestly. Plus I'd feel pretty lovely for the person forced to sit next to us if we didn't buy all three seats, not to mention the fact that who knows if that person is going to be sick or not.

We have a Chicco keyfit 30 with the stroller that snaps right into it also, so that all makes even more sense to buy him his own seat. Now it's just a question of if we can even find an available flight with three open seats next to each other.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Don't worry, people will switch when they realize you are traveling with a baby :)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My poor itchy 5 month old was just diagnosed with eczema. He has cradle cap on his head/face too. The regiment of lotions we started not even a week ago has helped out significantly. Is there anything else we can do to alleviate his symptoms or help so he doesn't get a flare-up? He finally slept through the whole night last night last night. Part of me wonders if the reason he was waking up some nights was because of his skin.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My 3-month old son is playing a trick on us. He’s slept completely through the night, in his crib, for the last two nights and has been generally pleasant most of the day-often sleeping quite a bit.

I guess he’s going through a growth spurt and will soon smack us in the face with a hard dose of reality and sleep regression, so we’re enjoying the extra sleep while we can.

I will say it is such a huge difference having him in his own room with the baby monitor on-I’m not constantly kept awake by him grunting through the night.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

nwin posted:

My 3-month old son is playing a trick on us. He’s slept completely through the night, in his crib, for the last two nights and has been generally pleasant most of the day-often sleeping quite a bit.

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!! Our 3-month-old is going down pretty much the same road as our 3-year-old: he only sleeps well when being held. If we're lucky, he'll stay asleep for ~30 minutes in a crib or bassinet.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

My sons 2.5 months old and so confusing!!!
[...] He still prefers to sleep on us instead of his bassinet in our room. And he prefers his bassinet in our room (while we’re in our bed trying to sleep), to his crib in his own room by himself. We have another white noise machine coming today for his room, so hopefully he can start sleeping in his crib at night and we’ll stop being woken up by grunts.

I don't mean this as criticism in any way, I'm genuinely curious: what is the reasoning behind having such a young baby sleep in his own room? I guess you have to do a lot more walking that way? :-)

We've been told by healthcare ppl that the safest sleeping arrangement is a cot or bassinet in the parent's room until at least 3 months old for reasons of SIDS prevention, but I know recommendations vary between countries. In short, when is the proper time for Baby to move into their own room? Is own-room arrangement just a way for Baby Stuff Inc. to sell more baby monitors? Etc.

Also, I see a lot of people in this thread talking about white noise. I feel like a complete noob because I never heard of them from parents I've met. Do you use them because your home has a lot of noise (older siblings or outside noise etc), or is it for babies who have trouble sleeping even in quiet environments?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 15, 2019

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We are keeping our kid in our room for as long as it seems like that's a good idea. He is especially in our room right now because we are living in an apartment and we are moving in about a month. We had planned this before he was born so we never bothered to put up a crib! Our first kid slept in our room for the first year. Its what worked for him. He didn't like being by himself. I am thinking this second kid might be out of our room sooner than the first since he will be sharing a room with big brother.

White noise is suppose to help newborns because they're use to it from being in the womb I guess. We just have an oscillating fan we turn on sometimes. Now that my kid is older, we don't really turn it on. I might turn it on if my dog is being particularly annoying at night. Sometimes he spends all night kicking the wall in his sleep.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hooah posted:

TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!! Our 3-month-old is going down pretty much the same road as our 3-year-old: he only sleeps well when being held. If we're lucky, he'll stay asleep for ~30 minutes in a crib or bassinet.

That’s what he had been doing -30 minutes max during the day. He still seems to only do that during the day if we put him down but he’ll sleep longer/forever if we hold him.

We started putting him down in the crib at night and hated it the first two nights but he’s come around. We just swaddle him, turn on the white noise machine and a shusher, then hold him until he passes out, wait 5-10 minutes, and then gently put him down in the crib likes he’s a timebomb, leaving the shusher next to him in bed. Sometimes it takes 2-3 attempts, other times it’s the first try.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't mean this as criticism in any way, I'm genuinely curious: what is the reasoning behind having such a young baby sleep in his own room? I guess you have to do a lot more walking that way? :-)

We've been told by healthcare ppl that the safest sleeping arrangement is a cot or bassinet in the parent's room until at least 3 months old for reasons of SIDS prevention, but I know recommendations vary between countries. In short, when is the proper time for Baby to move into their own room? Is own-room arrangement just a way for Baby Stuff Inc. to sell more baby monitors? Etc.

Also, I see a lot of people in this thread talking about white noise. I feel like a complete noob because I never heard of them from parents I've met. Do you use them because your home has a lot of noise (older siblings or outside noise etc), or is it for babies who have trouble sleeping even in quiet environments?

Our pediatrician recommended we try to move him at 2 months. Our baby makes a ton of grunting noises that don’t really happen when he sleeps during the day, but only at night. He might last an hour with no grunting but that’s it. The pediatrician isn’t concerned about it and she normally recommends trying to move the kid to their own room so we can get some sleep and aren’t stirred by every little thing he does.

We have a baby monitor, there’s nothing loose in his crib, and he’s swaddled up and doesn’t currently roll over, so all those things point to a low risk for SIDS. His room is also right next door so the only difference from the bassinet is a wall between us.

I’ve always slept with a fan for the white noise, but when we had him in our room we noticed it cooled down the room a bit too much for him so we got a white noise machine instead. I’ve noticed it helps out with him sleeping so we got one for his room too. I think they are used to noises when moms pregnant with him and I think it helps drown out random noises from the house when he’s sleeping but we aren’t.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The grunting is annoying and own room newborn is the best. I use an audio monitor and a webcam to check in on the kids. It's also amazing that nighttime feedings some how magically decrease in frequency when the baby is in their own room.

White noise machines have kept my kids asleep through every thunderstorm and fireworks extravaganza for 4 years now.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alterian posted:

My poor itchy 5 month old was just diagnosed with eczema. He has cradle cap on his head/face too. The regiment of lotions we started not even a week ago has helped out significantly. Is there anything else we can do to alleviate his symptoms or help so he doesn't get a flare-up? He finally slept through the whole night last night last night. Part of me wonders if the reason he was waking up some nights was because of his skin.

Ours had awful eczema at that age, and at the worst point, nothing short of prescription hydrocortisone did anything. Generally it's been better since then. The doc always said it was worse in winter because the air was drier and running the heater also exacerbated things. The big recommendations were room temp baths, nothing too hot, with gentle soap and then lotion right after and if was particularly bad lotion and then a barrier cream (aquaphor/vaseline) on top of it. And coconut oil frequently on the scalp. I'd assume that a humidifier could help if dry air is an issue, though I don't specifically remember that recommendation. And yes, I heartily believe some of our sleep problems at that age were due to just general discomfort due to eczema. He'd just wriggle and wriggle like he was trying to scratch his shoulders against the bed.

Once we got past the initial outbreak, it was much better, just daily lotion on the bad spots and OTC hydrocortisone if it seemed to need it. Sounds like you've got some lotions that work, we struggled finding some at first, but settled on Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Nighttime Balm. He's 18 months now and nothing was anywhere near as bad as that initial 4/5 month flare up. We were sort of worried this winter it'd spring back up, but it hasn't been bad, just the occasional dry spot. He has a few distinct problem areas, notably his shoulders and cheeks, so we just sort of routinely lotion those at night and keep an eye out for anything that looks like it's not responding.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We have two prescription and an overall eczema and a cortizone we mix with the lotion for his face if he needs it. The benefit is where he doesn't have his eczema is he has the smoothest, softest baby skin.

Does changing clothes detergent help? If so, are tide pods worth it or a waste of money?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alterian posted:

Does changing clothes detergent help? If so, are tide pods worth it or a waste of money?

We were already using some fancy detergent at that point, probably Biokleen, so I can't really say. I seem to recall we made sure we were doing non-fragrance, but that's about it.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Nanny issues, nanny issues. Must vent. Our last nanny was fab - really no complaints at all, but she changed career and we had to find someone new last Autumn. Because we only offer a part time job, and because of time constraints, we only had two candidates for a replacement. We chose the one with better references and who seemed more reliable (everything else seemed much of a muchness between them). Since starting she has been off work 8 times. Our previous nanny was off once in two years. poo poo happens sometimes, and you can't help getting ill, but that is a lot of absences, and she is supposed to tell us by 7am on the day of absence and pretty much hasn't any of those times. They weren't all for illness either - one was because of a huge argument with her partner (and father of her toddler, who she brings to work), and one was because her older son from a previous relationship has behavioural issues at school. We have since learnt that this intervention didn't work, and social services are now involved. This ties in with the relationship with her new partner, whose own children from a previous relationship have been horrible to our nanny's older son, to the extent of him having to move schools. They, and her partner's ex, are also apparently horrible to our nanny, and her partner's family support the ex, apparently because they are worried they will lose access to their older grandchildren if they don't side with the ex. On paper, this sounds like a good reason to let her go - she has let the situation with her son get to the point where social services are involved, and yet we pay her to look after our children? Problem is, it's hard to gauge how much is her fault, given the apparently awful bullying behaviour of her ex's kids and the generally lovely situation for her older son.

I'd say it's questionable whether she has bonded that well with our kids and whether they respect her. My 4-year-old said quite unexpectedly this morning that he has not settled with her! My 7-year-old clearly doesn't respect her as much as she did our old nanny. Things seemed to be improving on that front, and she does seem generally good with them, enforcing boundaries and also playing with them etc. However my wife asked them on the way home from school today what were the positives and negatives about her. She deliberately did this in as neutral and non-leading a way possible, and they had no positives to say at all, and a bunch of negatives.

Finally, we have a pre-paid card which the nanny can use to take the kids out, do things with them etc. Last month she didn't have her card and used it to buy some groceries. She told my wife and my wife deducted it from her pay - no problem. She did it again not long after and told my wife afterwards. Sorted same way. This weekend she did it again, but didn't contact my wife. My wife blocked the card, and she then made another attempt! I don't mind her using it in an emergency and then obviously settling the difference, but it seems to have gone a bit beyond that.

Lots of things are a drama with her. When her daughter was ill the other week she was messaging my wife about it on a Sunday. It's her responsibility to find childcare for her daughter if she can't bring her to work - there was literally nothing we could do about it; she just needed to sort it and then come into work, which she eventually did, but only after unnecessarily taking up a bunch of my wife's time on a Sunday.

We've discussed firing her, but it's hard to find nannies at short notice with part time hours, and anyway we want to be understanding and supportive employers - she is a nice person who wants to have stable employment. So we told her we wanted to do an appraisal, scheduled for today, where both she and we could discuss what was working well and what wasn't. She was clearly worried about losing her job after we scheduled this, based on some texts she sent my wife.

Then yesterday we find out she can't come to work (about an hour before she was due, again in breach of her contract and obviously very inconvenient for my wife and me, who both work). Due to the situation with her partner she is moving out of their shared place and is packing her stuff. She tells us she has a doctor's appointment this morning, apparently to get some anti-depressants. Then this morning her mum calls us, telling us she is not herself and she might need to take this week off (she works Monday through Wednesday).

As we've been not entirely satisfied, my wife had already put out some feelers on a childcare website, in case anything good comes along. What do you know, today we are messaged by a lady who was my daughter's teaching assistant in Reception (first year of school in UK, for rising fives). She had a baby and left the school last year as a result, and is now looking for part time nanny work where she can bring the baby. This lady is lovely, knows my daughter, was a TA at her school, has wonderful references from the school's headmistress and deputy head - everything about it is great on paper. We are interviewing her this Thursday.

Now we have to decide whether to try and weather this out with the current nanny. She does have good qualities - she is kind, she plays with the children in varying ways. She shows initiative - for example one time when the kids were engrossed in a game together she cleaned some of the fridge (which needed doing). She was supposedly pretty reliable before this current patch just after starting with us. But my wife thinks it's likely she will make up with her partner and have another fall out a few months down the line. Plus the other issues each raise their own question marks. Plus the lady from my daughter's old school would be a much better choice - if she'd been a candidate last Autumn it would have been no contest.

I now know that she wasn't signed off with stress this morning (which would have make it hard for us to fire her). She was prescribed anti-depressants, which would also I am told make things a little trickier, though less so. Having said that, we have lots of reasons to end her employment and none of them are due to her being stressed/on anti-depressants, both of which we are sympathetic to in and of themselves. I think we also have evidence that we were unsure about her even towards the end of last year.

This crap has taken up far too much of my time and I'm getting a bit sick of it. But you can't ignore the importance of this role. She is looking after the two most important things in my entire universe, and while I hate the thought of firing someone and affecting their livelihood (we fired our very first nanny for safety reasons - it was a much more cut and dried decision than this - and I still felt dreadful about it), and it would be a terrible blow to her on top of her other issues, my kids must come before anything, naturally.

Not really fishing for validation either way - I mainly wanted to vent - but any opinions are of course welcome.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

They are your kids! Pick the person you feel best about.
I'd switch to new nanny option in an instant myself just based on the first "I can't come in i fought with my partner" situation.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

:sever:

A nanny is supposed to make your life easier within the confines of what's outlined in your contract/work agreement. poo poo happens and so yeah you need to be flexible but multiple instances of the same types of offences be it tardiness, absenteeism, or lack of responsibility RE: the debit card seem to be a pretty big red flag, and having your nanny's mom call you to tell you she can't come to work is definitely a big red flag.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

butros posted:

:sever:

A nanny is supposed to make your life easier within the confines of what's outlined in your contract/work agreement.

A friend of ours who runs a nanny agency said basically the same thing. She's supposed to look after our children - we're not supposed to look after her (usual employer responsibilities aside).

sheri posted:

They are your kids!

Bottom line, innit.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Being a "boss" means being a bad guy and firing employees sometimes :(

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anecdotal here, but my dad, who runs a real estate team, had an assistant for a few years who was a good person and a hard worker, but always had some kind of personal crisis and didn't make good choices. Her boyfriend constantly losing his job, her not making rent, can't marry boyfriend because ex in Florida won't "allow" a divorce apparently due to some stupid law there, kid drama, asking my parents for money when she can't make rent, car break downs, late constantly with the same excuse; and the worst part was that she lives life on the edge and would constantly come into work sick but almost refusing to go home when told because she needed the money. My dad is a good person and would give her pay advances and he and I even helped her and her boyfriend move into their house they rented together, going so far as to ask for donations from other real estate agents who had unwanted furniture and such. She always had some crisis getting in the way, and if work got stressful she would interrupt anyone no matter what they were doing and freak out about things that didn't warrant it. She dragged her feet when asked to get licensed as an agent. She finally left for another real estate team that poached her and my dad breathed a sigh of relief because he didn't have to fire her.

All that is to say, not a nanny situation, but sometimes you just gotta let people go instead of putting up with their personal stuff. This is work for your nanny, it's her literal job, she has no business bringing up or bringing you into her personal stuff like this. She's a disaster waiting to happen and your life will be much easier when she is gone and you have a nanny on which you can rely who keeps their personal stuff, well, personal.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

Our pediatrician recommended we try to move him at 2 months. Our baby makes a ton of grunting noises that don’t really happen when he sleeps during the day, but only at night. He might last an hour with no grunting but that’s it. The pediatrician isn’t concerned about it and she normally recommends trying to move the kid to their own room so we can get some sleep and aren’t stirred by every little thing he does.
Yeah, that does sound annoying with such an amount of grunting. We get it too with our 7-wo but it's not enough that we lose sleep over it. Lucky break, I guess.

nwin posted:

We have a baby monitor, there’s nothing loose in his crib, and he’s swaddled up and doesn’t currently roll over, so all those things point to a low risk for SIDS. His room is also right next door so the only difference from the bassinet is a wall between us.

Yeah as I said I didn't mean it as criticism, just wondering about how different the recommendations seem to be in different places.

BTW I'm pretty sure the literature says swaddling is "neutral" WRT SIDS (ie it does not help or hurt). Though it helps some babies sleep better.

nwin posted:

I’ve always slept with a fan for the white noise, but when we had him in our room we noticed it cooled down the room a bit too much for him so we got a white noise machine instead. I’ve noticed it helps out with him sleeping so we got one for his room too. I think they are used to noises when moms pregnant with him and I think it helps drown out random noises from the house when he’s sleeping but we aren’t.

Cool, glad to hear it helps. Just wasn't sure how come 100% of this thread seems to know about white noise machines when I haven't ever seen one in a store or heard mention of them from friends/relatives with kids. Must be a regional/national thing? I'm googling in my local language and basically finding nothing apart from foreign web shops.

Is there any research on white noise, does it objectively help sleeping or is it all anecdotal?

DangerZoneDelux posted:

White noise machines have kept my kids asleep through every thunderstorm and fireworks extravaganza for 4 years now.

Are they able to sleep without it, too, or has the machine become one more thing you have to lug whenever you travel?
Will it be a lot of work to train them out of it?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 16, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our oldest just finally decided she didn’t want to use it, we didn’t have to wean her off or anything. We just use an old iPhone with the sound sleepr app with the boys, a lot easier and more portable than having a dedicated sound machine you have to lug around with you.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah we just use an app on an old iPhone too. Bub can sleep without it but it blocks out peripheral sound and is a sleep cue for her.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A friend of ours who runs a nanny agency said basically the same thing. She's supposed to look after our children - we're not supposed to look after her (usual employer responsibilities aside).

Don't be shy about explaining this to her, either. It's valuable feedback that she needs to bring to her next employment, whatever it is. Nothing worse than getting fired and not knowing what you did wrong.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
^^Yes, good point, and we would have done this anyway.

We're interviewing the ex-teaching assistant tomorrow, along with another candidate for good measure.

My wife emailed social services asking them if there's anything we need to know, given their involvement regarding her competence in relation to her son and the fact that she looks after our children. They will probably need to look into her being a nanny.

The decision has been made in any case - we are definitely ending her employment, and expect to probably (barring some unforeseen issue arising at interview tomorrow or the other candidate being even better) employ the ex-TA ASAP, maybe starting next week. My wife was told by ACAS (organisation giving advice on workplace rights and responsibilities) that the social worker thing was easily grounds for dismissal, and that the using-the-card-for-groceries thing could be grounds for dismissal for gross misconduct. As she asked before using it the first time, and isn't a bad person, we don't intend to do this, as it would mean no pay at all upon severance, rather than the month's worth stated in her contract, and we don't think that's fair on her. In fact my wife was suggesting we give her two months' to ease things for her which, given her circumstances, I am contemplating agreeing to do. She may lack competence but she is a kind person in a lovely situation, even if it may be partly of her own making.

I am excited by the prospect of going back to having an excellent nanny, and I know my daughter would be thrilled at having her old TA as her nanny, if that works out.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

In fact my wife was suggesting we give her two months' to ease things for her which, given her circumstances, I am contemplating agreeing to do. She may lack competence but she is a kind person in a lovely situation, even if it may be partly of her own making.

If you do this, at least get a non disparagement and agreement not to sue out of her.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

baquerd posted:

If you do this, at least get a non disparagement and agreement not to sue out of her.

How does that work (am in UK)? Just draw up a document to sign making the extra severance contingent on that?

I would worry that suggesting it could put ideas into her head - I'm not sure she'd have the wherewithal to sue us/take us to tribunal anyway, though this might make it more likely if we went for that agreement and she refused (as unlikely as I think it would be that she would refuse an extra month's pay).

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Oh god, due to the averaging of her wage over a year it looks like she might actually owe us money. :( Gonna have to work out the exact state of play and determine how generous we are going to be in our course of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Thanks to whomever recommended Tumble Leaf. My 3.5 year old kept wanting to watch and rewatch PJ Mask and we're off on a whole new and much better tangent with our bit of screen time.