Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Windows 98 posted:

I am doing a project regarding old horror films. Going through hundreds of Melies and Lumiere films right now. Check out this one I just stumbled upon, I uploaded it to YouTube for you all. Grim as gently caress for 1899.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1nyV2Xh_-A

That one's part of a larger series Méliès did on the Dreyfus affair. Very interesting from a historical perspective since it's one of the earliest still surviving docudramas and also one of the earliest films with a political agenda (Méliès sought to defend Dreyfus, who was awaiting his trial when shooting started).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror toy pics. I'll get around to the Bride of Chucky set, but I've been itching to snap Mike. Especially after re-watching H40 again.

And a few Pennywise shots, testing some ideas for a big ol shoot.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 16, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dope.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

CelticPredator posted:

Horror toy pics. I'll get around to the Bride of Chucky set, but I've been itching to snap Mike. Especially after re-watching H40 again.

And a few Pennywise shots, testing some ideas for a big ol shoot.

These are awesome would it be possible to get a picture of Michael and Jason in a romantic pose or on a date? Possibly like just sitting down and having dinner with each other.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

These are awesome would it be possible to get a picture of Michael and Jason in a romantic pose or on a date? Possibly like just sitting down and having dinner with each other.

Yes. Maybe holding hands in front of a sunset as well.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I feel really dumb for never thinking to check for a Horror thread, so after catching up in the new one, I'm here. Hello, I have lovely opinions that I'm really, really excited to share with all of you. Here's my first one: The first Silent Hill film is actually excellent and seeing Pyramid Head tear off someones skin like a baggy jacket was dope as gently caress. Don't @ me.

Generally I have a preference for horror comedies, but I'll watch basically anything remotely horror so I'm pretty hype to check out some of the recommendations I've seen mentioned. I have a problem with films shot prior the 90's (I am a child and grainy footage bugs the hell out of me) so I generally don't go out of my way to watch them, but some of them seem too good/too contextually important to skip given that I consider myself a Serious Horror Fan(TM). Mostly, I'm just hype to actually be able to talk about horror movies, 'cause all of my friends are lame and say poo poo like "my visual memory is too acute" as an excuse to not watch them with me.

For discussion, I'm curious what moments in horror you saw for the first time that stuck with you for a long time after? My most memorable was in Green Room when Anton Yelchin's character reaches out to pass the gun off and one of the Nazi's starts mutilating the gently caress out of his arm. Something about the way he was screaming in pain and the realistic looking gore after just completely hosed me up.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ThePagey posted:

I have a problem with films shot prior the 90's

ThePagey posted:

I consider myself a Serious Horror Fan(TM).

:thunk: you really should start watching older films, you are missing out on like 90% of the best films in the genre. There is a thread going right now for people to get caught up on horror essentials, the picks in there would be a good place to start! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878553

edit: that probably sounded condescending, I didn't mean it that way! welcome to the thread :)

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 16, 2019

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Welcome to the thread. What is your favourite castration scene?

The first Silent Hill movie is indeed shockingly good (until it isn't anymore) and made me watch Cold Skin because I mixed up Christophe Gans and Xavier Gens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ThePagey posted:

I feel really dumb for never thinking to check for a Horror thread, so after catching up in the new one, I'm here. Hello, I have lovely opinions that I'm really, really excited to share with all of you. Here's my first one: The first Silent Hill film is actually excellent and seeing Pyramid Head tear off someones skin like a baggy jacket was dope as gently caress. Don't @ me.

Generally I have a preference for horror comedies, but I'll watch basically anything remotely horror so I'm pretty hype to check out some of the recommendations I've seen mentioned. I have a problem with films shot prior the 90's (I am a child and grainy footage bugs the hell out of me) so I generally don't go out of my way to watch them, but some of them seem too good/too contextually important to skip given that I consider myself a Serious Horror Fan(TM). Mostly, I'm just hype to actually be able to talk about horror movies, 'cause all of my friends are lame and say poo poo like "my visual memory is too acute" as an excuse to not watch them with me.

For discussion, I'm curious what moments in horror you saw for the first time that stuck with you for a long time after? My most memorable was in Green Room when Anton Yelchin's character reaches out to pass the gun off and one of the Nazi's starts mutilating the gently caress out of his arm. Something about the way he was screaming in pain and the realistic looking gore after just completely hosed me up.

The first and probably most important recommendation I'd have for you would be to subscribe to Shudder. It's available as a Prime add-on channel for like $6 a month and you'll have access to all kinds of things that people in here will be happy to recommend and discuss.

If you like horror comedies though, Return of the Living Dead is on Prime and its the best horror comedy ever made.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm a bad horror fan because the only castration scene I can think of is In the Realm of Senses. Please recommend me some great castration scenes.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

gey muckle mowser posted:

:thunk: you really should start watching older films, you are missing out on like 90% of the best films in the genre. There is a thread going right now for people to get caught up on horror essentials, the picks in there would be a good place to start! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878553

edit: that probably sounded condescending, I didn't mean it that way! welcome to the thread :)

Definitely didn't take it that way, no worries. I guess to clarify, I have seen most of the pre-90's classics (and many non-classics), I just have a bad habit of dragging my feet like an idiot. I've actually seen most of the essentials in the thread so far, though I will catch up on the ones I've missed, especially Suspiria.

I've never actually seen Sleepaway Camp, either, though unfortunately I've had it explained to me. I'm currently saving it until I can steal one of my horror-adjacent friends, because I recall seeing a clip from the ending that haunted my loving nightmares and I'm really excited to subject someone else to that.

Basebf555 posted:

The first and probably most important recommendation I'd have for you would be to subscribe to Shudder. It's available as a Prime add-on channel for like $6 a month and you'll have access to all kinds of things that people in here will be happy to recommend and discuss.

If you like horror comedies though, Return of the Living Dead is on Prime and its the best horror comedy ever made.

I actually recently grabbed a Shudder, sub. I massively gently caress with Spectrevision, and after all of the buzz around Mandy I didn't want to pass it up. I'm slowly working my way through the content.

I think I've actually seen Return of the Living Dead? But the fact that I'm not sure means it definitely merits a rewatch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThePagey posted:

I actually recently grabbed a Shudder, sub. I massively gently caress with Spectrevision, and after all of the buzz around Mandy I didn't want to pass it up. I'm slowly working my way through the content.

I think I've actually seen Return of the Living Dead? But the fact that I'm not sure means it definitely merits a rewatch.

Ok so yea the thread can definitely be a major resource for recommendations if you combine it with a Shudder sub.

If you enjoy Suspiria there's lots of other Italian horror on Shudder and the majority of it is pretty high quality versions where you won't feel like you're sitting there watching an old grainy VHS.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

I fuckin' love these two

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

SMP posted:

I'm a bad horror fan because the only castration scene I can think of is In the Realm of Senses. Please recommend me some great castration scenes.

NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPzsV2YN6Q

thotsky fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 16, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Please tag that as NSFW. I know the context implies it, but still.

E: Thanks. :)

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 16, 2019

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

holy poo poo

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why was the last 45 minutes of Suspiria 2018 full of bad slow-mo?

Edit: I feel like it was trying to convey something but it was such a departure from the rest of the movie that I didn't even know what to make of it

Pomp fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 16, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goddamn Carpenter really outdid himself with that new Halloween score. Just completely haunting all the way though, and I love the almost BR2049-like whines(electric guitar I guess) that added in a few crucial moments.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Goddamn Carpenter really outdid himself with that new Halloween score. Just completely haunting all the way though, and I love the almost BR2049-like whines(electric guitar I guess) that added in a few crucial moments.

It’s really fantastic, especially if you have headphones or a system that can really pick up low-end sound. Like to anyone out there: if you’ve only listened to it through a laptop speaker you are seriously missing about half of the score.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

I was relieved it wasn't just 50 variations on the theme tbh

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I fuckin' love these two

Yeah they're all great but the second one u posted is incredible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had you in mind for those!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
From what I remember, SH1 was well-made, with some stunning effects design that really got the way the video games had those elements play into the plot and characterization.

Its major drags were 1. costuming choices that were too faithful to the games in a way that made the movie ridiculous, like the Stripper Cop, and 2. a huge Matrix Reloaded style exposition dump at the end of the movie, which presumes you're a moron and comes across like someone reading you a Fandom wiki ("The barbed wire monster is of symbolize the abusive janitor").

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

From what I remember, SH1 was well-made, with some stunning effects design that really got the way the video games had those elements play into the plot and characterization.

Its major drags were 1. costuming choices that were too faithful to the games in a way that made the movie ridiculous, like the Stripper Cop, and 2. a huge Matrix Reloaded style exposition dump at the end of the movie, which presumes you're a moron and comes across like someone reading you a Fandom wiki ("The barbed wire monster is of symbolize the abusive janitor").

Silent Hill had some really memorable moments and striking imagery but I thought it had a major pacing issue. There's a 30 min part in the middle there where I lose interest every single time, there's no way the movie needed to be 2hrs+.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The story is also flat out inferior to the original game in every aspect.

The story for the first movie is kind of psychotic in how bad it is

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I never even really considered watching the movies because I’ve never played any of the games. That and I guess I assumed they’d be a lot like the Resident Evil movies, which I hate.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

First flick is dumb as rocks but has some fantastic practical effects in it. Second one sucks out loud and isn’t worth your time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunkboxer posted:

I never even really considered watching the movies because I’ve never played any of the games. That and I guess I assumed they’d be a lot like the Resident Evil movies, which I hate.

It's less Resident Evil and more like discount Jacobs Ladder

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm loathe to use that old cliche "it's a thrill ride," but the second Silent Hill was marketed as a 3d movie, and it mostly feels like a cheesy RE-themed amusement park ride.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

holy poo poo

Have you not seen the full Our Robocop remake? A lot of the segments are pretty bad, but there's some moments of brilliance, like the dick shooting scene. My favorite part is at 01:37:15, when Robocop shows up to shoot ED209 in front of the OCP building. It gets sublime.

http://www.ourrobocopremake.com/

https://vimeo.com/85903713

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My favorite John Carpenter's stories come from Showtime's Masters of Horror. When the producers got in touch about doing an ep, his wife told them that she wasn't sure he'd do it, since all he does now (2005) is eat fried chicken and play video games. Then when the producers got a hold of Carpenter himself, he had reservations. Those reservations being he wasn't sure he wanted to get up at 6:00am for 10 days.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's Carpenter's 71st birthday today actually.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

First flick is dumb as rocks but has some fantastic practical effects in it. Second one sucks out loud and isn’t worth your time.

Basically this.

Part of it is because SH1 and 2 and 3 and 4 are all very focused games thematically. Like individual elements in them like some of the enemy designs and stuff seem simple in game but they all had a lot of thought put into them and are all were all very specifically made the way they were. But Pyramid Head in Silent Hill 2 made such an impression that (Konami did this in some of the games too) the movie puts Pyramid Head into it and some other SH2 stuff even though it's mostly telling the story from Silent Hill 1. It's a movie that's way less than the sum of its parts because the individual practical effects and the music are great. But put it together and it's like, tracks from Silent Hill 2 playing while someone's walking around, it's very smashed together. And they knew it too because they needed that insanely bad exposition dump that very selectively doesn't acknowledge a lot of what you see in the movie at all. Plus they shoehorned Sean Bean and janitor sheriff into it (the movie was originally going to have only female characters in it).

I'd still say it's worth a watch because the result is so weird.

The second one really is, like, just insane levels of awful.

But it's kind of crazy how much it doesn't even touch the first two games despite cribbing so much from them superficially. Like that opening Silent Hill 1 where you're walking down the alley and the camera very gradually goes a little off kilter after a panning shot that follow you walking around a corner, and how it gradually gets darker and more hosed up looking so you don't quite notice it til it hits all at once that like, wait, you just made like six left turns? It's night now? Wha... Then right on cue as you turn around to leave after seeing the crucified corpse gore on a chainlink fence the bizarre zombie children roll out and stab you to death. :getin:

That game is a genuine masterstroke in how it manages to repeatedly make you feel lost for just a second despite the PSX's limitations and you almost always have a detailed and marked up map available. Like they really worked that repetitive tension into the game's structure so that it actually lasts across the entire game. That's crazy. Silent Hill 2 is just as good though I wish the first apartments area was a little shorter.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 16, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Liberal Idiot posted:

drat, that triple-feature would have been a trip. "Guardian of Hell" is Bruno Mattei's "The Other Hell," "The Craving" is Paul Naschy's "Night of the Werewolf" and "Burial Ground" is, well, "Burial Ground."

I miss the days of the double and triple bill showings. I remember as a kid a couple theaters would have the ticket price at a standard single show price but with how much they made in concessions, probably more than made up for if they charged a higher ticket price. One of them did a black and white horror movies go where they'd have bats and skeletons shooting over the audience on piano wire. I think the closest thing you get now is when they do a franchise event like all the LOTR films or some of the artsy indie theaters doing a special viewing.

And in my teen days, I was all about USA's Night Flight/Up All Night/Saturday Nightmares. Saturday Nightmares was the one that introduced me to the delight of the Eurosleeze classic of Devil's Nightmare.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

It's Carpenter's 71st birthday today actually.

The student film that he helped write and edit, The Resurrection of Broncho Billy, is on Youtube in case anyone here hasn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsWQF1H5uSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqwV_OnoL1g

I wish Captain Voyeur was available online, but all I ever found were articles talking about the print being found and restored, but nothing else after that.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 16, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

My favorite John Carpenter's stories come from Showtime's Masters of Horror. When the producers got in touch about doing an ep, his wife told them that she wasn't sure he'd do it, since all he does now (2005) is eat fried chicken and play video games. Then when the producers got a hold of Carpenter himself, he had reservations. Those reservations being he wasn't sure he wanted to get up at 6:00am for 10 days.

:same:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAP8W7FqzA

Here is a lovely (fake) beheading for you to enjoy

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Windows 98 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOAP8W7FqzA

Here is a lovely (fake) beheading for you to enjoy

this is goddamn adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's actually a pretty impressive cut for 1895, I missed it the first time and had to go back to catch it.