Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

Laurence or Orphan first? I’ve got access to both (assuming this line of worshipful monsters leading to a big open beach is the boss room).

Alternatively the well, which, just lol

Laurence is a lame note to go out on so do him first.

Or not at all cause he sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

Laurence or Orphan first? I’ve got access to both (assuming this line of worshipful monsters leading to a big open beach is the boss room).

Alternatively the well, which, just lol

definitely do laurence eventually for the rune u get, then go through the chalice dungeons for the beast claws, then do a beast claw run on ng+

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
heehee hee hee heehee heehee

plip plop plip plop

Oh, lady maria...? Oh lady maria hee hee hee

plip plop

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Lady Maria owned and she and Ludwig were the first bosses that I fully embraced "get in that rear end" as a winning strategy.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Fifteen of Many posted:

Lady Maria owned and she and Ludwig were the first bosses that I fully embraced "get in that rear end" as a winning strategy.

The best part of lady maria is when you are engaged in a duel to the death with this badass who was so awesome she killed herself to keep the fishing village protected....and then she's like "oh yeah, motherfucker? How about FIRE SWORDS"

I mean, half-horse Ludwig groaning about his moonlight and whispering sobs is pretty amazing too. Hell, even the failures is an awesome atmospheric fight even if it's easy as gently caress and kind of silly. What I'm saying is that Old Hunters is basically my favorite chunk of video game ever.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 16, 2019

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So finally got to the first two bosses. Cleric Beast was simple enough although I died on my first go. 2nd time I tried to get a cool kill on him by molotoving him mid air but projectiles can be finnicky in souls games so I completely missed him, he dropped behind and slammed to the ground like 5 times. I barely survived and managed to get him.

I explored all the areas and nobody said there is a giant loving sewer pig. That was a pretty terrifying surprise. I actually went to Father Gascoigne before I got to Cleric Beast but I have seen the first few hours of the game and knew most people do Cleric Beast first. So I just tried him and once went back to Cleric Beast. I am on Gascoigne now. He is getting easier and easier. I had down to 20% hp but his werewolf form is pretty annoying and his combos always go longer than I anticipate. Anyhow I did try the music box on him as I did hear it does something to him. It is kinda cheap but even with that I ran out of blood vials, I am pretty good vs him in human form but I just gotta get use to his moveset in beast mode.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know if Cleric Beast was intended to be the first boss but everyone surprisingly stumbles on it first

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Samuringa posted:

I don't know if Cleric Beast was intended to be the first boss but everyone surprisingly stumbles on it first

He's like a side boss, but he is right next to the start of the game and really difficult to miss, whereas Gascoigne is kind of difficult to find, there are multiple long routes to him and the shortcut isn't blindingly obvious. Also Cleric beast is way easier than Gascoigne and I feel like a primer on not locking on when fighting big poo poo, while Gascoigne gives you the drum on fighting man size targets and parrying.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Beat Rom and got teleported somewhere....ohh what the gently caress is that thing. Everything is a hundred times more scary now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Guys it's like six weeks to Sekiro

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

dantheman650 posted:

Beat Rom and got teleported somewhere....ohh what the gently caress is that thing. Everything is a hundred times more scary now.

Grant us eyes, grant us eyes

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Shadows of Yharnam down! Let's see what's in this next areaugh what the hell is that why is it spitting fire at me

Oh no, there's a friend in this building with a crazy tentacle arm. Maybe I'll go find that back entrance to the clinic and see what Iosefka's up to. I don't know if I can deal with a crazy tentacle arm right now

e: are you KIDDING me

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 16, 2019

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Johnny Landmine posted:

Shadows of Yharnam down! Let's see what's in this next areaugh what the hell is that why is it spitting fire at me

Oh no, there's a friend in this building with a crazy tentacle arm. Maybe I'll go find that back entrance to the clinic and see what Iosefka's up to. I don't know if I can deal with a crazy tentacle arm right now

e: are you KIDDING me

Fear the old blood...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:vince:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Samuringa posted:

I think he is. Gilbert tells you to go across the Great Bridge to get to the grand cathedral in the beginning, then has some dialogue if you go to him after Cleric Beast but before Gascoigne where he’s like “oh poo poo, maybe try the sewers?”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The door behind Cleric Beast was supposed to be the door behind the two undead giants near the monocular, it was gonna be a more important area and a big shortcut, but for some unexplained reason they left that door as unopenable. You can even test it by leaving a glittering coin in the door and then running the long way around to the other side.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Did I miss my chance to fight Henryk? I spoke with Eileen in the Cathedral Ward and got the "Shhh" gesture, but didn't go straight to the Tomb of Odeon after that. I just beat the Forbidden Woods boss and figured I'd go back to continue Eileen's quest now, but there's nobody at the Tomb of Odeon. Am I out of luck on this run because I beat Amelia first or something?

I'm not bugging out about it because I will definitely be replaying this once I'm done, but I do want his clothes.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 16, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Johnny Landmine posted:

Did I miss my chance to fight Henryk? I spoke with Eileen in the Cathedral Ward and got the "Shhh" gesture, but didn't go straight to the Tomb of Odeon after that. I just beat the Forbidden Woods boss and figured I'd go back to continue Eileen's quest now, but there's nobody at the Tomb of Odeon. Am I out of luck on this run because I beat Amelia first or something?

I'm not bugging out about it because I will definitely be replaying this once I'm done, but I do want his clothes.

Yes you went too far, you need to do that part before the Forbidden Woods

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Ahh, okay! Good to know. Next time around.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I also missed it and recently had to say goodbye to Eileen. Sorry bird friend, you were a good bird friend but you were on my lantern.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

I also missed it and recently had to say goodbye to Eileen. Sorry bird friend, you were a good bird friend but you were on my lantern.

Tried to fight her a few times and got destroyed. She has so much health! But I want that lantern back...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The door behind Cleric Beast was supposed to be the door behind the two undead giants near the monocular, it was gonna be a more important area and a big shortcut, but for some unexplained reason they left that door as unopenable. You can even test it by leaving a glittering coin in the door and then running the long way around to the other side.
My guess is that they wanted you to get a bit more comfortable with the game before dropping you into the more open and more difficult Cathedral Ward, so you wouldn't have a Dark Souls 1 situation of people who, not to point any fingers at myself or whatever, but people who bounce hard off the game for years because their first move after leaving the asylum is to repeatedly over and over go down through the graveyard and die to ghosts without realizing the game lets you explore and you don't have to go there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fifteen of Many posted:

Terrible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just realized that what Lady Maria is whispering in your ear when she viscerals you is “git gud

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bust Rodd posted:

I just realized that what Lady Maria is whispering in your ear when she viscerals you is “git gud

It’s actually “the Old Blood is stored in the balls”

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm a couple of attempts into Laurence. Can reliably push him into phase 2, and even get him down to like, 5-10%, but he seems like the anti-"get in that rear end" boss during that last bit. Kinda like Blood-Starved Beast except you have to watch your footing. I keep getting a little too aggressive and taking hits I shouldn't, or am too close and he starts the charge-thrash thing and I'm insta-dead. Probably just need another try or two to get it but complaining on the internet is magic so here is my post.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I did a dumb thing and told some clearly bad dude about Odeon Chapel and now granny is dead. I murdered him for his crimes. Just a simple yes/no - did I mess anything up? I’m always worried about totally missing some optional content or quest line and it seems all to easy to do. I guess there’s always NG+

Also I saw another poster in about the same place as me talking about Iosefka’s clinic, which is something I’ve never even heard of! I’m continually surprised by the non-linearity of this game. It seems like once you get past the beginning there are a lot of different paths you can take.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you didn't miss anything, don't worry about it. Good hunting friend

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You just got Lautrec'd, no biggie

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I had the exact same thing happen and you better believe I avenged that hateful old bitch’s death.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Well, gently caress shark giants. I hate them.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

And Tyler Too! posted:

Well, gently caress shark giants. I hate them.

They hate you too so it's all good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

I did a dumb thing and told some clearly bad dude about Odeon Chapel and now granny is dead. I murdered him for his crimes. Just a simple yes/no - did I mess anything up? I’m always worried about totally missing some optional content or quest line and it seems all to easy to do. I guess there’s always NG+

Also I saw another poster in about the same place as me talking about Iosefka’s clinic, which is something I’ve never even heard of! I’m continually surprised by the non-linearity of this game. It seems like once you get past the beginning there are a lot of different paths you can take.

go find iosefka’s clinic —- the entrance is in the first half of forbidden woods in a cave, your ticket to cainhurst is there

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Orphan :allbuttons:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

go find iosefka’s clinic —- the entrance is in the first half of forbidden woods in a cave, your ticket to cainhurst is there

I could swear I combed every inch of that area but I’ll go check again.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

It's next to the dog kennels

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

dantheman650 posted:

the cave entrance is hard to find your first time through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dantheman650 posted:

You missed Granny's good good drugs that cure what ails ya but otherwise nope