Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well at least you know NoAction didn't fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Super Slash posted:

I like how at some point in the last few weeks someone somewhere decided to turn on SCCM reporting, with gems like this:

These are the infections of this malware:
1. Computer name: XXX-123456.company.com
Domain: company
Detection time(UTC time): 1/16/2019 4:38:57 PM Malware file path: blahblahblah
Remediation action: NoAction
Action status: Succeeded
To view further information about malware activity in your organization, run Malware Details Report.

Mission accomplished guys lets go for beers

:lol: I laughed more at that than I really should have.

We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It succeeded at doing nothing--it's like a dream come true!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A magic copier came in.

I was making rounds when a user flagged me down.

:j: Our copier doesn't have any toner in it.
:v: I'll have work service come change it out this afternoon.
:j: No, it literally doesn't have any toner in it but it's still printing.
:v: What.

Sure enough, it has no toner cartridge in it and it's been printing away. I tracked the removal down to OVER A MONTH AGO where the student worker I tasked with changing it forgot to put a new one in.

I checked the usage and they've printed over 1,200 pages since then.

I feel like this is the IT version of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and the car salesman drive as far as they can on empty and I'm curious how long this thing will continue printing with no toner.

Forever? Is a blessed copier really a thing?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

A magic copier came in.

I was making rounds when a user flagged me down.

:j: Our copier doesn't have any toner in it.
:v: I'll have work service come change it out this afternoon.
:j: No, it literally doesn't have any toner in it but it's still printing.
:v: What.

Sure enough, it has no toner cartridge in it and it's been printing away. I tracked the removal down to OVER A MONTH AGO where the student worker I tasked with changing it forgot to put a new one in.

I checked the usage and they've printed over 1,200 pages since then.

I feel like this is the IT version of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and the car salesman drive as far as they can on empty and I'm curious how long this thing will continue printing with no toner.

Forever? Is a blessed copier really a thing?
I fear that by even bringing up the idea of a blessed copier, the all of the universes printers will combine into some sort of monster that will haunt you forever, larchesdanrew. :ohdear:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Super Slash posted:

I like how at some point in the last few weeks someone somewhere decided to turn on SCCM reporting, with gems like this:

These are the infections of this malware:
1. Computer name: XXX-123456.company.com
Domain: company
Detection time(UTC time): 1/16/2019 4:38:57 PM Malware file path: blahblahblah
Remediation action: NoAction
Action status: Succeeded
To view further information about malware activity in your organization, run Malware Details Report.

Mission accomplished guys lets go for beers

When you can't meet the standards, adjust the standards to meet you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

I fear that by even bringing up the idea of a blessed copier, the all of the universes printers will combine into some sort of monster that will haunt you forever, larchesdanrew. :ohdear:

The universe craves balance.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
An interdepartmental slapfight came in. I posted about this tangentially in the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread but it's escalating in interesting ways. I run an education/training tracking system. There are objects like courses, classes (i.e. a single instance of course meeting or a web-based lesson), documents, and so forth. Of course everything in it has unique IDs. The class ID is usually a system-generated arbitrary integer string. However when I create classes using an import process, the system forces me to assign IDs.

Since I don't often do imports like this, when I do them I use the class ID string to encode helpful information, something like $COURSEID_$DATESTAMP. It's pretty painless, it doesn't break anything, it's helpful for unique departments who offer 500+ class sessions in a year, and it actually avoids conflicts because the system is not designed to avoid an ID conflict with the autogenerated ones.

My management just told me to stop doing this custom ID thing, and instead to keep a separate log of assigned sequential IDs for the imports. ("Start at 1000, make a note of where you leave off, then pick up there again for the next import.") Now one of the departments that relies on the custom IDs is throwing a shitfit, demanding to speak with my upper management. I'll do whatever I'm told, but: is it wrong to use custom IDs like this?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

D. Ebdrup posted:

It can get in line. :colbert:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

I'll do whatever I'm told, but: is it wrong to use custom IDs like this?

Yes. You're using one field to store multiple pieces of information, of a different type even. The id is the ID (whatever it is, string number, etc.) the date is the date, in its own field, and so on and so forth. Don't amalgamate them into one . It will cause all kinds of problems down the road.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Got it. Ideally the system would let us have a different custom ID field besides the default one. But it doesn't, and it also makes it really difficult to locate the information separately.

Edit: hold up, there are other custom fields. Maybe I can propose that we use one of those and make everyone happy.

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 16, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How to remove your company from consideration.jpg

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

At least they tell you instead of silently truncating after the 8th character.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Do you work for my bank?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Geemer posted:

At least they tell you instead of silently truncating after the 8th character.
One place I worked at stored passwords by doing the equivalent of toupper(password)[0..7] and dropping extra characters. Also cleartext.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've seen max of 12, but never max of 8. None of these are good options though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sheep posted:

One place I worked at stored passwords by doing the equivalent of toupper(password)[0..7] and dropping extra characters. Also cleartext.

I still wake up in sweats thinking of that one screenshot I saw that said "Your password must not contain the characters: ' or ; "

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A large credit card gateway system we use has some really stupid password requirements as well. It actually limits the possible password combinations. Not sure why the hell they think this actually makes a more secure password.

Max of 9 characters, no less than 7. Numbers or letters only, no special characters allowed. Must have at least 3 capital letters. and at least 2 numbers. No repeating characters (i.e. can't have AA, BB, or 11) no in-sequence numbers or letters. (i.e. 12 is not acceptable, but 13 is, AB won't work, but AC will)

Also it is required they change every 30 days. And it starts reminding you about the upcoming change 1 week before between EVERY SINGLE ACTION you do on the website. So basically you end up changing them every 3 weeks out of annoyance. I can tell you right now, for several years, the only change has been incrementing a number at the end, skipping some when the numbers end up in sequence or repeating.

Edit:

See the stupidity here.. This is the checklist you get when setting a new password.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 16, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That's a great example of hard for people to remember and easy for computers to guess, also known as "gets written down on a post-it note" school of password complexity requirements.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Data Graham posted:

I still wake up in sweats thinking of that one screenshot I saw that said "Your password must not contain the characters: ' or ; "

I encountered this last week:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lornekates/status/671731923090321408

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've been making GBS threads my resume and poo poo all over the internet the last couple of weeks. My default setting is 32 CHARACTERS OF gently caress YOU for KeePass.

If you won't let me use this, I get really annoyed at you.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Didn't KeePass have a security breach relatively recently, or am I thinking one of the other -Pass named things

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Didn't KeePass have a security breach relatively recently, or am I thinking one of the other -Pass named things

It’s probably last-pass. They have a history.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
KeePass used plain HTTP via port 80 to download updates and was vulnerable to a MITM attack, which when reported to the devs was responded to with "won't fix, want ad revenue" back in 2016. No idea if it's changed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

D. Ebdrup posted:

I have bad news for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFXQ3qHsh_U

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Arquinsiel posted:

KeePass used plain HTTP via port 80 to download updates and was vulnerable to a MITM attack, which when reported to the devs was responded to with "won't fix, want ad revenue" back in 2016. No idea if it's changed.
It was changed in 2016 to use HTTPS and a digitally signed file, but it also never downloaded updates. It only ever downloaded a file that told it what the newest version number was, and if it was later than your existing one then it displayed a notification for you to update by visiting the website - so even when it was vulnerable the only thing a MITM attack could actually accomplish was trick you into needlessly visiting the KeePass website.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, specifically the case I mentioned means not only are they storing it in cleartext, they're also preventing SQL injection by disallowing specific characters from the cleartext loving password at the UI level. I'd be surprised if the code didn't actively cause cancer

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s probably last-pass. They have a history.

May 2011 and June 2015 was when they had "something" happen on their network, the only other things we know of were a few vulnerabilities that were found by researchers.

An internal program at work is so ancient that if it gets anything that isn't ASCII in a field it has a stroke. Which is fun when dealing with things like shipping addresses to Puerto Rico.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ghostlight posted:

It was changed in 2016 to use HTTPS and a digitally signed file, but it also never downloaded updates. It only ever downloaded a file that told it what the newest version number was, and if it was later than your existing one then it displayed a notification for you to update by visiting the website - so even when it was vulnerable the only thing a MITM attack could actually accomplish was trick you into needlessly visiting the KeePass website.
Before it was HTTPS if they were MITM the update file they could do the same when you tried to load the official site. Not easy in practice, but possible (although TBH if I'm in a position to do that I'm already probably able to do worse). The initial dev reaction is all I remembered though, so good that they fixed it rather than relying on every end user who IT has forced to use it being able to check the signature and not just mashing "next" so they can get back to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOxcQSbpA-Q

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sheep posted:

That's a great example of hard for people to remember and easy for computers to guess, also known as "gets written down on a post-it note" school of password complexity requirements.

This is exactly what was happening. We have more than 15 accounts with this gateway, so more than 15 passwords that change every 3 weeks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I saw a screenshot of this in the Stellaris thread but never the vid. I dont have the attention span to watch the whole thing but I find the gimmick really funny.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kurieg posted:

I have bad news for you.
Jeez, NSFW that poo poo! Mods? Mods!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Uh, has anyone ever seen a good resource that teaches end-users how to submit good tickets / communicate issues in an actionable manner? We've got some marketing interns who believe that all issues are best expressed as "the server is down," and I'd like their boss to provide some valuable career advice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

monsterzero posted:

Uh, has anyone ever seen a good resource that teaches end-users how to submit good tickets / communicate issues in an actionable manner? We've got some marketing interns who believe that all issues are best expressed as "the server is down," and I'd like their boss to provide some valuable career advice.

This is an impossible task. Even if you ask for specific info from a user they will refuse to provide it. It's the way of the world.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I know it's our lot to suffer but I still want to push the rock up the hill.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a Lync conversation came in:

DBA : hey are you working on the ticket with #app being down?
Me: yes the SQL server service was down. I restarted it and it looks like it's working
DBA : I have a task that the SQL import failed on that server as well
Me: the SQL server service was down that was probably the cause.
DBA : I'm looking through a text log but it's 900mb.
5 minutes later
DBA: it looks like the SQL server service was down but it's back up now.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

At least it's not ukelele music?

I sat through half an hour of this before it hung up on me once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxd-iUrqGMU

bell jar posted:

I encountered this last week:

:eng99:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

At least they have Two-Factor Authentication now, right?

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Well my desk is being moved. I am sadly losing my excellent window cube and being moved to an open space to share with 3 other people. No window, no walls.

They're gonna judge my shitposting....

Desk move complete. Turns out I still have a window (thanks team), but the lack of walls sucks.