Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Yeah it doesn't look too shabby. I am going through a ridiculous amount of effort to source all my content from the highest quality source available. So these uploads I am putting up are the best quality you are going to probably find these films in, since I have not compressed them in any way. I will likely leave them up until I am done with the first episode of the web series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJDmU-iohM

This one isn't explicitly a "horror" film but does involve a home invasion, a stabbing, and an execution (all of which are themes of modern horror). The beheading at the end of this film is what the kids are watching on the laptop during the house party scene of Hereditary. I had to go through a poo poo load of effort to find this on DVD so I am not sure how the producers of Hereditary even decided to use this.

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Windows 98 posted:

I had to go through a poo poo load of effort to find this on DVD so I am not sure how the producers of Hereditary even decided to use this.

Film nerds are just like that

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I watched Apostle and Boar today.

Didn't care much for Apostle but Boar had that old direct to vhs monster movie charm going for it. Not saying it was good but it's fun to see a barely mobile monster head swinging around in this day and age.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

That's actually a pretty impressive cut for 1895, I missed it the first time and had to go back to catch it.

All the more impressive since it's presumed to be the first cut in film history.

Windows 98 posted:

Yeah it doesn't look too shabby. I am going through a ridiculous amount of effort to source all my content from the highest quality source available. So these uploads I am putting up are the best quality you are going to probably find these films in, since I have not compressed them in any way. I will likely leave them up until I am done with the first episode of the web series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJDmU-iohM

Thanks. Seeing this in a non-pixelated version is pretty cool.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

All the more impressive since it's presumed to be the first cut in film history.

This is correct. Part of the collection I am sifting through is about 140 films by Edison 1891-1918. They are in order by release date and between 1891-1894 the films are all single takes, some of the earlier ones are almost impossible to even tell whats going on. The "camera tests" which were Edison's first films look more or less like blobs of light. Not until 1895 do we see a film cut, which is The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots. This was about a year before Georges Méliès began making films in 1896, who is essentially the inventor of most film techniques like double exposures and filming in studios rigged for special effects, the only thing he didn't invent was the close up (The Sick Kitten, 1901, George Albert Smith).

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just got out of Escape Room, it was fun trash. Better than Saw but not as good as Cube.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Windows 98 posted:

The "camera tests" which were Edison's first films look more or less like blobs of light.

It's funny how technology works out sometimes. The Scottish doctor Macintyre made a short in 1899 which was meant to show off the capabilities of the X-ray, but due to the limited quality, it now looks less like an educational film and more like an avant-garde masterpiece.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

Just got out of Escape Room, it was fun trash. Better than Saw but not as good as Cube.

This is backwards to me because Cube had a good premise, but the first one's knee capped by some pretty lousy acting and all the follow-up sequels are awful, whereas the Saw series at least kept ramping up the rowdiness. I love all the goofy transitions in Saw IV.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's funny how technology works out sometimes. The Scottish doctor Macintyre made a short in 1899 which was meant to show off the capabilities of the X-ray, but due to the limited quality, it now looks less like an educational film and more like an avant-garde masterpiece.

I believe this film is called Begotten :laugh:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MifEuUx_Hhw

This is a spooky skeleton dancing done by Louis Lumiere in 1898 - Managed to get this one in 1080p.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Upcoming movie from the director/writer of Nightcrawler, any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOnhDaP1uTg

I think it looks pretty dope, but I don't know if it's a must-see until after some word-of-mouth.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

I think it looks pretty dope, but I don't know if it's a must-see until after some word-of-mouth.

i loved Nightcrawler and i love Jake G and Johnny M and this looks pretty fantastic so i am excited to watch it

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That looks like it will either be sick as or dumb as hell, with no inbetween

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

King Vidiot posted:

Nightcrawler was fantastic, and this looks suitably weird. I’m hype

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I watched Tenebre again. The ADR wasn't as distracting now that I expected it, so I was able to actually get into it. I'm not sure what Argento was trying to say about feminist critique of his films? The vibe I got was that he accepts that his films glamorize violence against women, and could potentially fuel a specific violently misogynistic worldview, but that he chooses not to care?

In addition, this outfit rules

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bloom posted:

I watched Apostle and Boar today.

Didn't care much for Apostle but Boar had that old direct to vhs monster movie charm going for it. Not saying it was good but it's fun to see a barely mobile monster head swinging around in this day and age.

Where can I catch Boar? I don't see it for purchase on Amazon (US).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pomp posted:

I watched Tenebre again. The ADR wasn't as distracting now that I expected it, so I was able to actually get into it. I'm not sure what Argento was trying to say about feminist critique of his films? The vibe I got was that he accepts that his films glamorize violence against women, and could potentially fuel a specific violently misogynistic worldview, but that he chooses not to care?

I see it as a little more complicated than that, though I think you're pointing in the right direction.

It's not so much that Argento doesn't care; in fact, I'd say Tenebre trades pretty heavily on his own anxieties and fears regarding his work (that they could inspire real horrors, or that they might be affecting his own psyche in a horrific way). However, I think Tenebre comes to the conclusion on the former angle that Argento isn't really fundamentally responsible for what people do with his art once it's out into the world (Neal is effectively an innocent until the halfway point); on the latter, it pointedly doesn't come to a conclusion.

Argento seems very specifically afraid of becoming a figure like Neal in the second half, of detaching himself from reality and committing the types of atrocities he'd ordinarily dramatize, and Tenebre is partly as interesting as it is to me because it isn't Argento trying to assuage his own fears; rather, it's simply him voicing them, saying "this is what I think I'm going to turn into if I keep doing this."

I think it's fairly telling that, after Tenebre, his next two movies (Phenomena and Opera) were weird as all hell and then he basically stopped giving a poo poo; with Tenebre's personal subtext in mind, it sort of seems like he tried to solve his own problem by going bigger and less realistic, and when that didn't make him stop feeling lovely about his work, he just stopped caring outright.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How do people regard Inferno? All the years I never actually watched Argento I always associated Suspiria as the film I HAD to see and then extrapolated out that the Three Mothers Trilogy was something I had to see (and in fact I'd say part of the reason it took me so long to see Suspiria was because I had it my mind that I had to see Inferno and Mother of Tears as well and it was a small miracle to find all three available or affordable at once).

Now that I've actually seen Suspiria it seems like Opera, Tenebrae, and Phenomena are the next big talked about films of his while Inferno is largely an after thought (and Mother of Tears seems regarded badly). But I've always seen stuff that suggests Inferno is really underrated. So I'm curious.

Basically, if someone hypothetically were to say "You have to see Suspiria" and you were to say "I have, but I'll watch ____" what would be the natural choice? Because I gather "Inferno" is the wrong answer despite it being my first instinct.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

STAC Goat posted:

How do people regard Inferno? All the years I never actually watched Argento I always associated Suspiria as the film I HAD to see and then extrapolated out that the Three Mothers Trilogy was something I had to see (and in fact I'd say part of the reason it took me so long to see Suspiria was because I had it my mind that I had to see Inferno and Mother of Tears as well and it was a small miracle to find all three available or affordable at once).

Now that I've actually seen Suspiria it seems like Opera, Tenebrae, and Phenomena are the next big talked about films of his while Inferno is largely an after thought (and Mother of Tears seems regarded badly). But I've always seen stuff that suggests Inferno is really underrated. So I'm curious.

Basically, if someone hypothetically were to say "You have to see Suspiria" and you were to say "I have, but I'll watch ____" what would be the natural choice? Because I gather "Inferno" is the wrong answer despite it being my first instinct.

Deep Red.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

STAC Goat posted:

Inferno is really good imo as one of his better works but his other stuf from that time period is just so much better.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Inferno's good, but I didn't feel like it was as coherent a vision as those other, more highly-regarded films you listed. Like it's a perfectly fun watch, but I don't have a need to revisit it every couple of years like I do Suspiria and Opera.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Inferno's okay. I mostly don't regard it super highly because I like cats and that movie, uh, does not.

Deep Red is worth watching, but expect a ropey and imperfect movie even by Italian horror standards, even moreso in the Italian cut.

Tenebre, Phenomena, and Opera are all dope as hell.

Avoid everything he's made after Opera, period, including and especially Mother of Tears.

(Out of Tenebre, Phenomena, and Opera, I'd probably say go for Phenomena because it has at least one absolutely incredible thing you need to see, and post your reaction to, if you're a totally-blind Argento newbie. You'll know it when you see it.)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Deep Red is one of my favorite movies regardless of genre, if I could like somehow make my ideal horror movie it would look pretty much like deep red. I admit it’s poorly paced at times and the dubbing can be distracting, but it’s got so much atmosphere and style in the typical crime thriller shell, there’s nothing quite like it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLVdtHkznNE

I am tired as gently caress it is 2am and I have been working on this for hours. Can someone tell me if this is bad? You may want to watch on the actual YouTube website because SA makes the videos real small inline on the forums.

1) Are the piano hits out of time with the button push / projector lamp turning on?
2) Is the bird fluttering wings too much? Turn them down in the mix?
3) Can you tell that the logo and text on the reel box is fake? If yes, is it because the font is too thick and looks weird compared to the logo (which is being changed to a slightly different bed sheet ghost soon)?
4) Is it too long? This will be before every video in the web series.
5) Should I remove the apostrophe in "1890's" and all subsequent video titles stick with that naming convention?

Thanks in advance. This project is turning out to be a lot of effort lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s pretty good! I don’t know what you could add or take away, but the only thing is maybe the sound is too high but I don’t know. It feels like a thing that’s completed to me. I dig it!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it looks really good/professional, but if you want hardcore criticism I do think the piano comes in maybe half a second before the projector button push. Not enough for me to notice until you mentioned it, but enough to notice when I was looking for it. But I'm not sure its a problem at all even if you do notice.

Otherwise I think you're fine on all the other stuff you asked. The label didn't look fake to me even after I rewatching looking for it a couple of times. And I think the time is kind of perfect for an "episode" opening. Long enough to stick and be memorable, short enough to not make you feel the need to skip.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Now I’m listening on my phone and feel like Celtic Predator is right, it may a little loud overall. I’m going to need to get some headphones to work on this or hook up my studio monitors. I’m way too tired to be able to tell at this point. If anyone else feels like maybe the audio levels are loud, or for that matter if any of the sound effects need volume adjusting please let me know.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Ok that’s it, time to sleep. If I watch this thing one more time I’m going to go insane.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When you get to that point, sleep so good. Never drive your self to stress with projects like that.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

s.i.r.e. posted:

Where can I catch Boar? I don't see it for purchase on Amazon (US).

My brother got it from Amazon Germany but I have no idea if they deliver to the US.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

STAC Goat posted:

my favorite Argento films after Suspiria my next two favorites are Deep Red and The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, followed by Tenebrae. Inferno is okay but not on the same level.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Awww ...

https://twitter.com/THETomSavini/status/1085684686972743680

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I love Inferno and yea I'd recommend it to someone who has seen Suspiria because of the Three Mothers connection and also the fact that most of the other options are more traditional giallo. Inferno's plot feels somehow even looser than Suspiria's on first watch, probably because it shifts settings whereas Suspiria mostly happens all in one place. But it really came together for me on rewatch and now it's probably my #3 favorite Argento film after Surpiria and Deep Red.

Deep Red is a must-watch recommendation, but I'd go that route if the person maybe didn't quite fall in love with Surpiria and might enjoy something more straightforward. If they loved Suspiria, Inferno is the way to go.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

This is backwards to me because Cube had a good premise, but the first one's knee capped by some pretty lousy acting and all the follow-up sequels are awful, whereas the Saw series at least kept ramping up the rowdiness. I love all the goofy transitions in Saw IV.

Yeah, it's far more reminiscent of Saw (or Final Destination, really), than Cube. Also it gets WAY too ambitious pitching a sequel.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Watched Ghost Stories last night and I see why some people complained about the ending, but it didn’t really bother me. Also, it had a bonafide sheet ghost in it!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would like to see the stage play of that.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would like to see the stage play of that.

Yeah I was wondering how all that would go down in a theater while I was watching it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Someone in a PYF thread said they are embarrassed about what their favorite movie was when they were a teenager, but at least now that they're older and wiser they have a legit favorite to be proud of.....Cabin in the Woods. Lol

That's favorite movie, period. In any genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I was wondering how all that would go down in a theater while I was watching it.

The whole film is cinematic horror tropes outside of the interviews and the stage reveals and stuff, I can't imagine it being scary in the least.