Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Davros1 posted:

Only if they change the status quo and have Gordon leading the charge to bring that psychopathic murderer in by any means available, even if it means killing him.

Also agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Fart City posted:

Got a nice car tho

chicks dig the car.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Marvel movies are glib and detached from the actual atrocities they invoke, but come on, people have been hoping that horrendous events will just blow over for centuries

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

chicks dig the car.

It's not a car. :cool:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
On DCEU rumors, the current one is that Jack O'Connell is WB's top choice to replace Affleck.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i just GISed that guy and it would be pretty cool to finally have a jug-eared batman

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Guess we should never have movie trailers for anything ever.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Guess we should never have movie trailers for anything ever.

the problem being described doesn't happen in most movie trailers

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Children are being taught that nothing matters because corporate controlled serial franchises exist" is a nuclear level take, but there are legitimate criticisms about the MCU having no consequences, and therefor saying nothing really interesting or of value.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah because childrens movies, as everyone knows, traditionally never have good endings

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
As a father, PG-13 movies aren't for children.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
why couldnt far from home just be set between Homecoming and Infinity War???

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spider-Man being above consequences as the scion of a wealth elite would be the most accurate political statement the MCU has ever made.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Brother Entropy posted:

the problem being described doesn't happen in most movie trailers

Reminder that the dying Tony Stark/crying Captain America Endgame trailer dropped like, two weeks ago.

CUE THE RAMONES, BAY BAY

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I think it's fairly uncontroversial that the trailer's kind of dumb in the context of Infinity War, but what makes that tweet a spicy take is the argument that it's going to teach kids a bad lesson. Really, though, it's no worse than most other children's media. These "think about the children" sort of positions just mistake symptoms for the cause.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Do you really think Endgame is going to end with the Snappening not being undone, and Spider-Man and Fury will still be dead?

The characters in Far From Home will probably have no memory of what Thanos did. Because it’s going to be undone. Probably through time travel, possibly with someone getting the Gauntlet and saying, uh, snap, now it never happened.

That's also possible, but it would still be easier to do it the other way around. Doing a small, limited adventure set after the end of the world, but never mentioning how the end of the world got undone would be too loving lazy even for the MCU.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah because childrens movies, as everyone knows, traditionally never have good endings

Noted children's movie franchise the MCU, which began with soldiers being killed in Iraq.

pospysyl posted:

I think it's fairly uncontroversial that the trailer's kind of dumb in the context of Infinity War, but what makes that tweet a spicy take is the argument that it's going to teach kids a bad lesson. Really, though, it's no worse than most other children's media. These "think about the children" sort of positions just mistake symptoms for the cause.

Pretty harsh burn on most children's media.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Marvel is teaching kids that nothing matters!

Me a genius : “but like,nothing matters anyway”

Everyone else : “woooooooooaaaah”

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

This is kind of meaningless because Bruce Timm (if he's on this project) has been revealed to be some kind of pervy weirdo since not having to deal with network censorship restrictions

He should be replaced with Paul Dini who I'm sure is not a prevert now to take a drink of water.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

Noted children's movie franchise the MCU, which began with soldiers being killed in Iraq.

I think y'all are misinterpreting what SSB is saying. He's not saying Spider-Man/MCU is children's media (although to a large extent they are), he's mocking the dumb Twitter guy's idea that happy endings/low consequence conflicts teach kid bad lessons, when almost all actual children's media is low consequence and ends happily.

The more I think about this the more hilarious it is tho. The guy just transparently is upset that his punchman movies aren't as consequential as he imagines. As if the most dangerous and toxic lesson from a franchise where a team of Nietzschean Overmen team up with the CIA to do extrajudicial violence is roughly the same as what Boomers complain about when they mock participation trophies.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Back in my day our children films involved Optimus Prime dying and whatever the gently caress Return to Oz was.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jimbot posted:

Back in my day our children films involved Optimus Prime dying and whatever the gently caress Return to Oz was.
Yeah, we were terrified by death and creatures that haunted the recesses of our imagination, like that fuzzy teethball from Labyrinth.

Kids today and their Total War / Existential Annihilation frights. Peh.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man coming back was never a secret so the criticism over showing him alive strikes me as really hollow. In this case and so many others the question isn't whether he lives but how he and any others come back to life.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

I think y'all are misinterpreting what SSB is saying. He's not saying Spider-Man/MCU is children's media (although to a large extent they are), he's mocking the dumb Twitter guy's idea that happy endings/low consequence conflicts teach kid bad lessons, when almost all actual children's media is low consequence and ends happily.

The more I think about this the more hilarious it is tho. The guy just transparently is upset that his punchman movies aren't as consequential as he imagines. As if the most dangerous and toxic lesson from a franchise where a team of Nietzschean Overmen team up with the CIA to do extrajudicial violence is roughly the same as what Boomers complain about when they mock participation trophies.

there's a big distinction between 'low consequences' and what's happening here which is more undercutting big consequences before they've even been resolved or addressed in-story

like, even separate from the political angle that i'm not 100% on board for it's extremely lovely writing/planning

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man coming back was never a secret so the criticism over showing him alive strikes me as really hollow. In this case and so many others the question isn't whether he lives but how he and any others come back to life.

Yeah, people's reactions to Peter turning to dust in Infinity War was "We know he's got a new film coming out next year, they're obviously going to reverse this." That Twitter guy apparently forgot that and was surprised all over again when the new Spider-Man trailer came out.

Brother Entropy posted:

there's a big distinction between 'low consequences' and what's happening here which is more undercutting big consequences before they've even been resolved or addressed in-story

like, even separate from the political angle that i'm not 100% on board for it's extremely lovely writing/planning

Apparently Marvel wanted them to wait longer so it didn't gently caress up their plans but Sony insisted on releasing Spider-Man: Far From Home in July 2019 just a short time after Avengers: End Game which is how we got the current situation with one trailer undercutting the other.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So after Spider-man suddenly shows up in Europe at the same time as their school trip, Pete's cover is gonna be blown right? Thinking Far From Home might end on an "I'm Ironman" moment.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol that's good on Sony honestly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RatHat posted:

So after Spider-man suddenly shows up in Europe at the same time as their school trip, Pete's cover is gonna be blown right? Thinking Far From Home might end on an "I'm Ironman" moment.

Wasn't MJ already suspicious after Spider-Man turned up during their class trip to Washington DC in Homecoming?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol that's good on Sony honestly

Just the sustained bitchiness of their relationship is hilarious. It's like Mean Girls, but with multimedia conglomerates.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I didn't realise Endgame was coming out first. thats makes the whole situation much more ridiculous.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Superman is unrealistic because he and Lois were only ever thirsty for each other.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Superman was also thirsty for Lori Lemaris and Lana Lang

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Superman is unrealistic because he and Lois were only ever thirsty for each other.

He was raised by an average protestant midwest farm couple. I imagine, deep at heart, Superman just wants to go to a barn dance, marry the first woman he kisses, and eat lots of tater tot casseroles.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Equeen posted:

I loved JL/JLU, but I wish we can move on from the Bruce Timm designs. Let's experiment with different styles and get a new generation of artists and writers to create new takes of characters who have existed for nearly a century.

Oh, how did I get on this soapbox?

There's already a series of movies like that, the latest one, Reign of the Supermen, came out this week

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Fart City posted:

He was raised by an average protestant midwest farm couple. I imagine, deep at heart, Superman just wants to go to a barn dance, marry the first woman he kisses, and eat lots of tater tot casseroles.

superman is a great character because he is simultaneously this person and also a commie pinko liberal big-city journalist, and only by their powers combined can he become captain planet

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Superman is defined by his unquenchable love for humanity. In this essay, I will argue that this means that Superman must needs be poly

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Batman, for the human race to survive, Superman must impregnate ALL WOMEN SIMULTANEOUSLY

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

That Superman vs Flash foot race cover but it's Superman vs Johnny Sins in a pipe laying contest

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RatHat posted:

Maybe that's the reason for his tactical outfit in the trailer. He's trying to travel incognito.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For all the problems Justice League had, the mid-credit scene wasn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe that's the reason for his tactical outfit in the trailer. He's trying to travel incognito.

(In bad French accent) Sacre bleu! I am not ze Spider-Man. I am ze French superhero Le Spider.