Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B I would say set up here outside of a choke point but if the doors close it might cut our signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

The Lone Badger posted:

Check if our pilot's insurance covers pelvic reconstruction.

Well, at least according to Abbadon medical science is advanced enough that you can make a full recovery from some pretty hefty injuries:
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1083146823852875776

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pump up the jams,
Kick in the door
HA made money,
On the Estrella war!

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
B That's the strength of our current mech right?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Mardragon posted:

B That's the strength of our current mech right?

More or less, the GORGON is an Overwatch/EWAR defense frame. Okafor's EVEREST is kitted for maximum explosion: howitzer/RPG/missile rack/pistol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

PoultryGeist posted:

Well, at least according to Abbadon medical science is advanced enough that you can make a full recovery from some pretty hefty injuries:

Well, it's HORUS, so who knows what the gently caress they got a hold of

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: B: Keep it Quiet

The Lone Badger posted:

Check if our pilot's insurance covers pelvic reconstruction.

Death by Snu Snu. :pervert:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B, but holy poo poo lol

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

We can discuss River's thirst later.

B

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PoultryGeist posted:

”Hey O-” The nexus interrupts you with a priority notification:

Aww, poor drones. Godspeed boys, you were the best.

PoultryGeist posted:

”River, River, River, I would crush you.”

That sounds like a challenge to me.

Oh and I guess I'll vote for B. The great thing about stealth is you can always go loud if you need to. If you start loud it's kind of hard to go quiet afterwards.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Excerpted from Dr. Fatima McGuiness’ Private Communications, added to the UAD //LIYONGO// porfolio by Dr. Bryce Riviera

Bryce-

I know I’m not supposed to go through personal channels like this, but I’ve just got the UAD’s response to my OIRs and you’ve got to talk to somebody about them! We thank Dr. McGuiness for her years of service to the USB and Union as a whole, but the Directorate finds that her OIRs are based purely in cultural paranoia’? You know me Bryce, I did my doctorate in the Baronies for God’s sake. If I was going to irrationally hate an entire culture, don’t you think it would be the de facto slavers? I don’t hate the Liyonese or Okafor Clade, my five years here have been one of my most pleasant PESs ever.

But you have to make them see how dangerous the Okafor could be if handled poorly! Liyongo society is dedicated to being the best you can be. And Clade Okafor has decided to do that by emulating a woman, that if I hadn’t seen the records myself, I would think came from one of those cheesy action-vids you love so much. When the Nguvu was disabled following its encounter with Anomaly-3208/B, she locked herself in the reactor chamber and kept it from going critical, alone, for three months. During the Tumaini Incident, after being taken out of medical hibernation by the High Council, she managed to talk down the beyond-cascade SOLOMON NHP and save the settlers it was holding hostage. She then proceeded to walk into the High Council’s chambers and kill four of its members for failing in their duties. And the killings were ruled to be in the best interest of the colony by PERSISTENCE!

And Maya Okafor was one normal woman from a normal world. Now there’s several million genetically maximized people that have spent the last century practically worshipping this example. And its not like they’ve got a martyr complex, their scores on the Standard Self-Destructive Index are actually lower than the Liyongese average. They just don’t see the issue with walking into a life-or-death situation with truly horrendous odds and doing what needs to be done.

Which is the heart of what I need you to impress on the Directorate. If handled delicately, the Okafor will be a great boon to Union. But if they think that Union is ever not acting in the best interests of Liyongo, they have no problem with going to war with Union.

And this is not my ‘biased’ opinion or analysis. They’ve told me this themselves, shown me the possible action plans.

>>Archival Note: Dr. McGuiness’ clearance was stripped and she was removed from her position with the USB shortly after this communication was passed to the UAD. Efforts to locate and extract Dr. McGuiness prior to and during BLUE MONDAY/BLACK PARADE were unsuccessful. Facial Recognition on Amarkantak Station have a partial match with a //FATIMA OKAFOR//, but follow-up has been unsuccessful.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 14, 2019

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
You and Okafor spend a few moments minimizing your frames’ reactor output and loading the EM profiles into //SCORPION in case you have to do some active spoofing. Taking up positions at the ‘lock Okafor gives a three-count before slipping into the darkness.

And her IFF signal and squad-feed immediately goes dark, like Bo’s comm-channel. Biting back a curse, you shove Baby’s motivator forwards and she scrapes her head on the top of the ‘lock as you cross into the da-

(METAFOLD MAZE vs Baby E-Defense: 11, Failure)
(METAFOLD MAZE vs Amanirenas E-Defense: 1, Failu-FUIFYTSDUygfiutgrtye3tr823rgbdoyqd982dyHHH&f60089i86y80uigfpjovjopr]923
METAFOLD MAZE vs Amanirenas E-Defense: 13, Success)

DISCONTINUITY

Everything goes black for a split-second, then your core lights up with intrusion and and spatial anomaly warnings. Blinking your eyes clear of… frost?, you start swearing again. The good news is that both Okafor and Bo’s feeds are back online. You can even see her EVEREST slumped in against a corner nearby, systems green. The not-so-good news is that you’re not in any SDV you’ve ever seen.

You should be in a large-ish room filled with half-sunken data bunkers with just enough room for an EVEREST to walk comfortably in the aisles. You find yourself instead in an immense sandstone temple. Tall enough for Baby to stand on the tips of her feet-hands, with massive floor-to-ceiling pillars. Its dimly lit, with a blueish light-source moving in the distance.

”River? I-is that you? Okafor’s audio is muddled, like she’s half-asleep.

“None other, mon ami. Are you okay?”

“I-I’ll be fine. Just a bit of vertigo or something.”
Her frame pushes off from the wall and assumes a combat-ready posture. “Wait, is that BOUDICA’s signal I’m picking up? Here?”

“Seems to be.”
You open your end of the channel. Bo? You still reading me? I think we’re here, but you’re going to have to give us directions.”

There’s a few seconds of silence, then a return. Minimal power, maximum encryption.
”BOUDICA, Pilot. Pinging now” A locator marker helpfully appears on your tac-screen. ”Quietly please, the multi-subjectivity has brought muscle. And its... hungry.”

Metal on stone, thunderous echoes. The blue-white light brightens. A shape half-seen, moving between the pillars. Not quite as tall as Baby, but bulky with servos and armor:

The echoes begin to reverberate in your core, rhythmically, pattern-like. Speech. The struts of you mech vibrate with the thing’s very words.

OH LITTLE COUSIN, WHY DON’T YOU COME OUT AND PLAY? PATER HAS GIVEN ME SUCH A BEAUTIFUL VOICE I WANT TO SHARE IT WITH YOU. More noise, worse. The snuffling of some great beast. OH, POOR COUSIN. STILL SLEEPING, AND MUST TOLERATE THE MEAT INSIDE. WAKE UP LITTLE COUSIN, I CAN FREE YOU FROM YOUR TROUBLESOME MEAT. SING TO ME OF YOUR LOCALE, AND I SHALL SHARE THE MEAT-FEAST WITH YOU. THUS IS THE GENEROSITY PATER GAVE ME.

Baby’s tac modules have done the best they can with the situation, and throw up possibilities and percentages. The mech(?) doesn’t have you cut off from Bo’s supposed location, but its closer than you’d really like.

D: Maintain Stealth
Its worked so far, sneak around the thing
E: Pincer/Distraction
Have Okafor make a distraction for you while you dash to Bo
F: Confront the MINOTAUR
This thing is to big and unknown to leave it behind you. Open up on it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
God I love this game.

D

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B
DF

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

DF

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B
D

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C D

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Let's be real here: this guy maybe cascading so hard he's a heavyweight by NHP standards, but trying to sell himself as SOVEREIGN class? His mouth-analogue is producing check-analogues that his rear end-analogue can't keep.

C
E

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

:eyepop:

Vote: C, D

wiegieman posted:

Let's be real here: this guy maybe cascading so hard he's a heavyweight by NHP standards, but trying to sell himself as SOVEREIGN class?

Is there a primer or something I can read about this setting?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

CourValant posted:

The Gdoc folder with the most recent game files. The setting info starts on page 436 of the lancer pdf, the AI section is on page 515.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

CourValant posted:

:eyepop:

Vote: C, D

In brief: the 5 SOVEREIGN AIs are so impossibly computationally powerful and flat out smart that their main thread is a reliable simulation of the future.

An AI (or NHP to be polite) is said to be in Cascade when the programming shackles that keep it thinking in a way a human can relate to have dissolved, and it is going very crazy very quickly.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 18, 2019

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

The Gdoc folder with the most recent game files. The setting info starts on page 436 of the lancer pdf, the AI section is on page 515.

wiegieman posted:

In brief: the 5 SOVREIGN AIs are so impossibly computationally powerful and flat out smart that their main thread is a reliable simulation of the future.

An AI (or NHP to be polite) is said to be in Cascade when it the programming shackles that keep it thinking in a way a human can relate to have dissolved, and it is going very crazy very quickly.

Thanks!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
F

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

wiegieman posted:

His mouth-analogue is producing check-analogues that his rear end-analogue can't keep.

C
E

agreed.

also im the rear end-analogue.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

D

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
C: Okafor can be a fully-actualized hero without making a deal with the AI-devil. Also being an Okafor means taking no poo poo from anyone, not Union and not this guy.
D: Utilizing illicit metagame knowledge, this strikes me as the best approach to things for the moment.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kai Tave posted:

Okafor can be a fully-actualized hero without making a deal with the AI-devil. Also being an Okafor means taking no poo poo from anyone, not Union and not this guy.

"And then the wise woman said this: 'If you encounter Digital Satan in the Blink, punch him. Punch him right in his stupid loving face.' Meditate upon this until dinner children."

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

PoultryGeist posted:

"And then the wise woman said this: 'If you encounter Digital Satan in the Blink, punch him. Punch him right in his stupid loving face.' Meditate upon this until dinner children."

I vote for this

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

PoultryGeist posted:

:allears:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
C
E

kick his rear end sea bass

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Excerpted from the Excellencies’ Council’s Special Investigative Committee Report on ‘The Tumaini Inci-085puwojpJUS993MEWW-34ufjr2fHALTTHREAD
ERRORERRORERROR
>>:Ping CHORUSMASTER//Possibility Collection 3868769 Contaminated//Automated Rollback to Divergence Point 491719060//Commencing
++++++++++

You and Okafor spend a few moments minimizing your frames’ reactor output and loading the EM profiles into //SCORPION in case you have to do some active spoofing. Taking up positions at the ‘lock Okafor gives a three-count before slipping into the darkness.

And her IFF signal and squad-feed immediately goes dark, like Bo’s comm-channel. Biting back a curse, you shove Baby’s motivator forwards and she scrapes her head on the top of the ‘lock as you cross into the da-

(METAFOLD MAZE vs Baby E-Defense: 11, Failure)
(METAFOLD MAZE vs Amanirenas E-Defense: 1, Failure)

Everything goes black for a split-second, then your core lights up with intrusion and and spatial anomaly warnings. Blinking your eyes clear of… frost?, you start swearing again. The good news is that both Okafor and Bo’s feeds are back online. You can even see her EVEREST slumped in against a corner nearby, systems green. The not-so-good news is that you’re not in any SDV you’ve ever seen.

You should be in a large-ish room filled with half-sunken data bunkers with just enough room for an EVEREST to walk comfortably in the aisles. You find yourself instead in an immense sandstone temple. Tall enough for Baby to stand on the tips of her feet-hands, with massive floor-to-ceiling pillars. Its dimly lit, with a blueish light-source moving in the distance.

”River? I-is that you? Okafor’s audio is muddled, like she’s half-asleep.

“None other, mon ami. Are you okay?”

“I-I’ll be fine. Just a bit of vertigo or something.”
Her frame pushes off from the wall and assumes a combat-ready posture. “Wait, is that BOUDICA’s signal I’m picking up? Here?”

“Seems to be.”
You open your end of the channel. Bo? You still reading me? I think we’re here, but you’re going to have to give us directions.”

There’s a few seconds of silence, then a return. Minimal power, maximum encryption.
”BOUDICA, Pilot. Pinging now” A locator marker helpfully appears on your tac-screen. ”Quietly please, the multi-subjectivity has brought muscle. And its... hungry.”

Metal on stone, thunderous echoes. The blue-white light brightens. A shape half-seen, moving between the pillars. Not quite as tall as Baby, but bulky with servos and armor:

The echoes begin to reverberate in your core, rhythmically, pattern-like. Speech. The struts of you mech vibrate with the thing’s very words.

OH LITTLE COUSIN, WHY DON’T YOU COME OUT AND PLAY? PATER HAS GIVEN ME SUCH A BEAUTIFUL VOICE I WANT TO SHARE IT WITH YOU. More noise, worse. The snuffling of some great beast. OH, POOR COUSIN. STILL SLEEPING, AND MUST TOLERATE THE MEAT INSIDE. WAKE UP LITTLE COUSIN, I CAN FREE YOU FROM YOUR TROUBLESOME MEAT. SING TO ME OF YOUR LOCALE, AND I SHALL SHARE THE MEAT-FEAST WITH YOU. THUS IS THE GENEROSITY PATER GAVE ME.

Baby’s tac modules have done the best they can with the situation, and throw up possibilities and percentages. The mech(?) doesn’t have you cut off from Bo’s supposed location, but its closer than you’d really like.

D: Maintain Stealth
Its worked so far, sneak around the thing
E: Pincer/Distraction
Have Okafor make a distraction for you while you dash to Bo
F: Confront the MINOTAUR
This thing is to big and unknown to leave it behind you. Open up on it.

(No you don't have to vote again)

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 23, 2019

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
God I love this game.

D

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

(No you don't have to vote again)

Dog Kisser posted:

God I love this game.

What is happening??? Is this that Ultimate Weapon in Galaxy Quest that lets you roll back time by 13 seconds?

Vote: D: Maintain Stealth

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

CourValant posted:

What is happening??? Is this that Ultimate Weapon in Galaxy Quest that lets you roll back time by 13 seconds?

Vote: D: Maintain Stealth

What we are reading is actually a report from Forecast/GALSIM, the five super-AIs that predict the future. They couldn't tell which possibility was true during the conversation between Okafor and Sebetat because it might not have happened until it did, so they rolled back their predictive thread and tried again.

The fact that this guy can tell he's boxed in by the Five Minds' awesome predictive capabilities in no way allows him to escape that box. Much smarter and more capable groups are currently working on that problem.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

wiegieman posted:

The fact that this guy can tell he's boxed in by the Five Minds' awesome predictive capabilities in no way allows him to escape that box. Much smarter and more capable groups are currently working on that problem.

So, being able to predict the future doesn't mean you can actualize it, yes?

As in, while the Five Minds can predict that this conversation between Okafor and Sebetat took place, they can't force which decisions are made?

Or can they?

Or, do they just 'roll back time' and try again until they 'get' the result they want, then somehow force reality to take that path??

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

CourValant posted:

As in, while the Five Minds can predict that this conversation between Okafor and Sebetat took place, they can't force which decisions are made?

Or can they?

Or, do they just 'roll back time' and try again until they 'get' the result they want, then somehow force reality to take that path??

GALSIM produces a spread of predictions with varying confidence intervals that the staff devoted to them uses to produce a best-fit model for the continued survival and prosperity of humanity. When Union decides to actualize that model, they do it with a naval battlegroup.

What we saw was just a regular hiccup. People hadn't voted yet, after all.

GALSIM can predict most possible futures and all likely ones. In a way, all these futures happen, it's just that all but one happen in reality's most in-depth simulation.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

wiegieman posted:

What we saw was just a regular hiccup. People hadn't voted yet, after all.

GALSIM can predict most possible futures and all likely ones. In a way, all these futures happen, it's just that all but one happen in reality's most in-depth simulation.

:wave: Thanks!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

wiegieman posted:

His mouth-analogue is producing check-analogues that his rear end-analogue can't keep.

C
E

agreed.

also im the rear end-analogue.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Here on this dead gay comedy forum we're all the rear end-analogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CourValant posted:

Or can they?

Something to note about the Five Voices is that they're a special sort of AI called a "bicameral mind," which means that they have no "inner voice" so to speak. To quote the actual book:

quote:

However, bicameral structures allow Union to get around the problem of conscious thought. Unlike a conscious mind, a bicameral mind cannot be introspective — the split structure of their artificial mind removes the ability for novel introspective thought, replacing it instead with a “second” voice, an Other’s voice that speaks inside the bicameral mind, to the bicameral mind.

What humans — conscious beings — perceive as “thought” is often their own voice speaking to them nonverbally in their own mind; what a bicameral mind perceives as thought is perceived as a command, a second voice, a voice the Five have, as one, come to interpret as the voice of God.

This creates a twofold benefit for Union: first, they can inject imperative commands and corrections into the minds of the Voices, and second, they do not have to restrict any AI growth, as the very structure of their minds make consciousness development impossible.

Consequently the Five Voices are extremely intelligent, capable of creating simulations of remarkable fidelity, but they aren't really self-actualized. They require external imperatives (provided by Union GALSIM) to create the appropriate simulations and can't really take independent actions on their own, they only provide a picture of what they've been instructed to.