Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Just a quick trip report;
I did snag one of those RetroFlag cases (looks fantastic), a raspberry pi 3 B+, heatsink and fan. I loaded it up with the latest RetroPie OS and tried out the SENS emulator on my 1080p tv: A+. Runs and looks like a dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I heard this thread likes Raspberry Pis.

So do I (well, my company):

Mix in a bit of 3D printing...

Some off-the-shelf hardware...

Assemble...

Add one (1) surplus 19" PoE switch... (sorry about the shite image quality - not much light in the server room)

And you have yourself a fairly decent 3U collection of remotely power cyclable ARM linux nodes on which you can do TOP SECRET stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A shelf of pi's in my server room is the last thing I would ever want to be responsible for.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I bet it's cheaper than a rack server running a bunch of virtual machines but I'd rather have to manage a proper setup than deal with a set of Pis.

You do you, though. It's probably more fun to build something like that then buy something off the shelf at least.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

A shelf of pi's in my server room is the last thing I would ever want to be responsible for.

It's not so bad, they're compute nodes, and over provisioned, so if a couple break down it's no big deal. But server-grade they ain't.

BattleMaster posted:

I bet it's cheaper than a rack server running a bunch of virtual machines but I'd rather have to manage a proper setup than deal with a set of Pis.

You do you, though. It's probably more fun to build something like that then buy something off the shelf at least.

Tell me where I can get 40 ARM cores in a nice and neat package and I'm all ears. That Chinese vaporware 24-way ARM server only counts when it's shipping.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So now I'm curious what you're doing that specifically needs an ARM CPU.

edit: I'm curious because I've personally never used a Pi for something that couldn't just be run on or recompiled for any other Linux system

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 17, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

So now I'm curious what you're doing that specifically needs an ARM CPU.

edit: I'm curious because I've personally never used a Pi for something that couldn't just be run on or recompiled for any other Linux system

It’s used to test and benchmark code aimed to run on that platform. Does it compile? Do the tests run? How fast is our standard test? Is valgrind happy?

We have certain optimized functions that sport ARM intrinsics, using the vectorized operations and such, which can really only be exercised on real hardware.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thats pretty cool. Looks really nice.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Neat. You do seem to have found an edge case where that makes sense.

Do the new Pis with PoE get toasty enough to warp 3D printed ABS?

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

bolind posted:

It’s used to test and benchmark code aimed to run on that platform. Does it compile? Do the tests run? How fast is our standard test? Is valgrind happy?

We have certain optimized functions that sport ARM intrinsics, using the vectorized operations and such, which can really only be exercised on real hardware.

I dig it. Nice work!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ante posted:

It’s PLA, and I don’t know, time will tell. Things have been designed a little bit with airflow in mind and they will live in a climate controlled space, but it remains to be seen. Curious what the PoE load will be at full tilt, I think it’s somewhere in the 5W per Pi neighborhood.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ante posted:

Neat. You do seem to have found an edge case where that makes sense.

I would assume ABS would be fine because you can pour boiling water on it without it going soft. PLA might be bad

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

bolind posted:

I didn't believe it at first but you've found a situation where a rack shelf of Raspberry Pis actually makes sense :eyepop:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I gotta work on my home Pi sometime soon. I've been lazy with getting Pi-Hole up and running.

bolind posted:

I heard this thread likes Raspberry Pis.

So do I (well, my company):

That's pretty cool. :)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What are the options for monitoring a Pi?

I just have one at the moment, running Pihole and Unbound, and I ssh in from another machine and htop and all that but I was wondering if there is a more elegant, prettier way to do this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set up the internal watchdog and forget about it.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

thehustler posted:

(stuff about powering HDD from raspberry pi)
If you are running the pi from a good power supply and don't mind taking a soldering iron to it, then bridging input positive power to USB will do the trick. I've never done it to one of the newer pi's but used to do it to rpi1b's like so:

They had no problems powering anything I threw at them after doing that mod (including 2 portable HDD's at the same time).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My roommate got a PS4 so I don't need the pi to run Netflix on the TV anymore. Would Retropie run okay at the same time as pihole on a 3B+? Pihole is about the only thing I'm using it for at this point, and that seems like a waste.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I’m looking to turn one of my old B+ Pi’s into a desk clock - does anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy (beyond the generic 3.5” Pi screen)?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

duffmensch posted:

I’m looking to turn one of my old B+ Pi’s into a desk clock - does anyone have any recommendations on which one to buy (beyond the generic 3.5” Pi screen)?

Related to this, I'm trying to use hzeller's library to do the same thing with a 16x32 LED matrix. I've gotten the matrices wired up and testing via command line, and it's working just fine, but I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out how to make it into a clock.

I am not a linux person, and guides are all outdated (referencing older library versions that do not work anymore), or don't apply to my setup :negative:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

duffmensch posted:

I wonder what Alen Turing would say about people in the future using a 1.4ghz quad core processor as desk clock, because they can't think of anything better to do with it.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 23, 2019

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Rutibex posted:

I wonder what Alen Turing would say about people in the future using a 1.4ghz quad core processor as desk clock, because they can't think of anything better to do with it.

It’s ok, Moore would understand

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Better use than taking pictures of your breakfast or posting QAnon poo poo. I'm sure he'd understand.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Rutibex posted:

You get the butter, that's your job.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Rutibex posted:

He’d probably be happy to borrow one of the other unused Pi’s I’ll have left over when I’m done with this project.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I have a Pi 3B+ working as a pihole, and a standard Pi 3 that I was trying to get working with this LED matrix project. However! I'm thinking about making the 3 work as the pihole, and using the 3B+ as a Plex server, with USB 3 storage drives attached. I don't want it to transcode for internet streaming, more just to sling files on my network. All viewing would be done on other devices.

Is that an appropriate use for it? I have a few 4k files, but most are 1080p. The drives would, of course, be powered by their own AC adapters.

If so, could I also torrent on the pi itself, while streaming Plex? If so, I could retire an entire computer that's currently only doing the plex and torrenting. I also use the computer to actually consume most of the media, attached to the TV, but I was planning on picking up a Chromecast to do that instead (gently caress smart TVs in general).

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
Based on Google soon removing the capability for Chromium/Chrome to support Ublock thereby kneecapping the effectiveness of all adblocking extensions i finally broke down and installed PiHole on a pi 2b. It took about 15 minutes from gathering all the parts to being able to use it as DNS for my desktop ... that is by far the quickest deployment of a test system I have ever had. That includes moving it from a wifi bridge router in my office to the main switch in the basement.

If anyone has been putting off doing this I definitely 100% encourage it. The admin UI is great.

The only gotcha I found was that if I didn't shut it down gracefully before powering it down the pi would occasionally not come up correctly (I used 'sudo halt' via ssh).

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
(also move away from Chrome, it is an evil browser)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everything that made chrome awesome is gone, so people use it just because it has momentum. There are better options out there now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My last hesitancy about going in on pihole is a worry that something goes wrong (Pi shuts down or something) and now my whole WiFi / network for the house is defunct for my family until I get home and resolve. It acts as the DNS server for my router right? So if it drops, bye bye internet, right?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have two DNS server settings on my router. If the Pi ever goes down, the backup server setting is Google's DNS.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I have two DNS server settings on my router. If the Pi ever goes down, the backup server setting is Google's DNS.

Welp, that didn't even occur to me. Perfect. Thank you

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

doctorfrog posted:

Same. Haven't had to use it yet, but last time I poked into any stock router firmware (I run DD-WRT), I saw that they all seem to have multiple DNS settings available. I have 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9 (Quad9) as my two backups.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh thanks I've been meaning to ask if those two DNS settings would work the way you'd want with a Pi-Hole, falling back to the second when the Pi-Hole is down but not just using it all the time to fulfill requests for the ad servers the Pi-Hole rejects.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Do any websites stop working because they throw a tantrum because the ads are blocked or does that problem not exist like in Chrome ad blockers?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you regularly go onto deal sites that have referral redirects like Slickdeals you're going to have to whitelist all of their garbage domains or go to the linked site and search for the item yourself.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can I set up a pihole to prevent Windows 10 from ever connecting to Microsoft's servers ever again? Or block ads in mobile apps on my tablet?

I like the idea of cutting it all off at the source, rather than using ad blockers.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TraderStav posted:

Do any websites stop working because they throw a tantrum because the ads are blocked or does that problem not exist like in Chrome ad blockers?

It seems like all the George Takei related websites bitch about ad blockers. Most let me click a link to close the pop up, but one doesn't have that link and there's no way to close it. I tried blocking that element with ublock but there's still something that prevents the page from scrolling until that thing closes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TraderStav posted:

My last hesitancy about going in on pihole is a worry that something goes wrong (Pi shuts down or something) and now my whole WiFi / network for the house is defunct for my family until I get home and resolve. It acts as the DNS server for my router right? So if it drops, bye bye internet, right?
If you’re that worried you build a second one and bam cold spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

If you’re that worried you build a second one and bam cold spare.

Would a vm be best as a spare? I wouldn't have to have a $40 pi laying around just in case.