Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Someone figure out a way to make "DeviantArt fursona with several hundred pounds of scrap metal welded onto it" fit in a thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone figure out a way to make "DeviantArt fursona with several hundred pounds of scrap metal welded onto it" fit in a thread title.

Digimon thread: it's got digimon

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Digimon Thread - Furry Waifus Covered In Scrap Metal

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

At this point it’s pretty much just human waifus tbh

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Digimon Thread - Waifus Covered In Scrap Metal

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Did any of the tcgs end up good? I wanna do some digimon gaming but I remember the first tcg being very bad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Moriatti posted:

Did any of the tcgs end up good? I wanna do some digimon gaming but I remember the first tcg being very bad.

Play the PS1 game, Digital Card Battle. It's genuinely super good.

If you want a real card game I have nothing to show you though, I have no idea about any of the real card games. Just the PS1 game which is excellent, one of the three games I genuinely think are top-tier in Digimon (alongside Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh, I'm familiar with Digital Card Battle! I wish the actual game had played like that.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

At this point it’s pretty much just human waifus tbh

Yeah. Honestly, Digimon is surprisingly non-furry, when you really think about it. By the time most Digimon are turned into runway models, they're also 90% human.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bee posted:

Yeah. Honestly, Digimon is surprisingly non-furry, when you really think about it. By the time most Digimon are turned into runway models, they're also 90% human.

There's a reason why regular Renamon is the furry icon of Digimon and you don't have a lot of others joining her

Generally the more animalistic you are, the more kaiju-y you are. No one is clamoring for Garudamon to be the next fetish star

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Moriatti posted:

I think the Battle Spirits is pretty decent since they're on their third digimon focused set by now.

Burkion posted:

There's a reason why regular Renamon is the furry icon of Digimon and you don't have a lot of others joining her

Generally the more animalistic you are, the more kaiju-y you are. No one is clamoring for Garudamon to be the next fetish star

Wargreymon/BlackWarGreymon and Weregarurumon are pretty popular with the furry crowd as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

More like Hoohmon

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Play the PS1 game, Digital Card Battle. It's genuinely super good.

If you want a real card game I have nothing to show you though, I have no idea about any of the real card games. Just the PS1 game which is excellent, one of the three games I genuinely think are top-tier in Digimon (alongside Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory)

I can't speak in depth about the old Hyper Colosseum game (IE the one that gets revived every anniversary to have new cards for new stuff), but I've heard it had serious drat issues with power creep. Years and years ago someone who actually played it complained on a forum that after a certain point they printed a bunch of cards that were just generically too good at everything and that there was a huge disparity where most of the cards were worthless (or made worthless because near everything became immune to them) and the cards that were good. Having read some translations for cards it really doesn't strike me as a particularly healthy game either for various reasons.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
According to this brazilian site, Toei is planning to put Tri in Latin American theaters. Considering Digimon is widely overshadowed by DB here, I doubt it will be a successful endeavor.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean

is it gonna be airing against Dragon Ball?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nodosaur posted:

I mean

is it gonna be airing against Dragon Ball?

No, but if they're using DBS:Broly as measure stick for Tri, well, they're in for a rude awakening.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think that's gonna be the case. Tri aired in a limited amount of theaters in Japan, I'm sure they're assuming a similar benchmark here.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Why this bootleg game has such nice animations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4mjB8QkTqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVfjQ0Erqa8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODTctnh5vUU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Beyond the unneccesary fanservice shot in Noir, those animations really are incredibly good, especially for an unofficial game. Whoever's behind it put some serious effort.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/king_of_fly/status/1085156379252318209

:stare:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interesting

https://twitter.com/Takeshi_Okano/status/1085089137982500865

From what I can get, according to the artist. NEXT was supposed to be a manga adaptation of Savers, but Savers had some delays that forced them to modify the plan into an original story.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He posted some more art too.

https://twitter.com/Takeshi_Okano/status/1085084447932702721
https://twitter.com/Takeshi_Okano/status/1085092887992270849

That NEXT was meant to be a Savers manga makes a lot of sense when you consider they share the same Digivice (well, until both series upgrade into totally different ones), the same Digisoul mechanic, and three out of four Digimon. It's probably for the best that that plan didn't go through, since thanks to that we got two good stories, and considering NEXT is the weaker of both, i can't imagine a Savers manga would be worth remembering as much as the Savers anime is.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
It helps that VictoryGreymon is a way stronger design than ShineGreymon, who looks like a happy meal toy.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Man, you joke but it would have been rad if they had Digimon happy meal toys back when I was a kid. Instead they had these metal Taco Bell trading cards that I tried to collect all of anyway despite not liking Taco Bell at all. I think they came with promo cards for the card game but they were mostly misprinted so the border would be thick on one side and thin on the other, and I think they even had some names translated wrong too. Nobody I knew even played the card game, either. So many quesadillas, all for such a hollow reward.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Bee posted:

It helps that VictoryGreymon is a way stronger design than ShineGreymon, who looks like a happy meal toy.

Victory Greymon is 80 percent WarGreymon with the head and weapons changed.

ShineGreymon has actual design continuity with his previous forms and does something new. He’s the far superior design.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

He doesn’t look as cool though, tbh

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

i disagree strongly because, while I don’t dislike the design by any means, I can’t get over how held back VG is by not offering much that WarGreymon doesn’t.

ShineGreymon has new attacks, new powers, a different personality, and a whole new look. VictoryGreymon is WarGreymon with a new sword. A sword that can even be installed on his arms as weapons, just in case your orange armored dragon knight having to physically hold his weapon is too scary and different.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's true Victory is clearly heavily based on War but at the same time Shine looks awful. Shine Burst Mode is a far better design though, so I can't totally hate it, but after GeoGreymon and RizeGreymon are improvements over the original Agumon line, ShineGreymon is disappointing in how overboard they went and how toy-like it looks.

It's not like it matters because Gaioumon is the best WarGreymon anyways.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

i disagree strongly because, while I don’t dislike the design by any means, I can’t get over how held back VG is by not offering much that WarGreymon doesn’t.

ShineGreymon has new attacks, new powers, a different personality, and a whole new look. VictoryGreymon is WarGreymon with a new sword. A sword that can even be installed on his arms as weapons, just in case your orange armored dragon knight having to physically hold his weapon is too scary and different.

I mean, don't get me wrong. The OG WarGreymon kicks both designs' asses six ways to sunday. But at least VictoryGreymon is just a mild iteration on a classic design. ShineGreymon has a hideous ketchup and mustard color palette, a weird man face, and soft, nubby wings that looked way more mechanical and interesting on his RizeGreymon form.

It feels like someone took a Dorugoramon and forgot to make it cool or good.

Also, I'll agree Gaioumon is a way better WarGreymon-like. Dishonorable mention to Blitzgreymon, who has a monochrome color palette, casette players for wings, and an inability to handle basic objects to having guns for hands. He exists entirely to give us a fifth unneeded Omnimon variant, too, because "what if Greymon was gun and Garurumon was sword this time" is clearly the final frontier of Digimon design.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 16, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

WarGreymon was literally designed to *be* a transforming toy. I don't know how ShineGreymon could possibly be seen as being more toylike; he's armored, yes, but in the same way the majority of Ultimate level digimon are. And I can't see his colorscheme as ill fitting when his imagery derives from the sun; red and yellow are the colors to use there.

Gaioumon also has an armored, humanoid-looking face; his face is a human-proportioned one with his horns attached to his helmet, so I'm not sure why you're docking ShineGreymon for that when you praise another design that does the exact same thing. In fact, he nonsensically wears a gas mask, even. ShineGreymon wears a sensible faceplate, in comparison.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Counter argument: big swords are cool, and Zeedgarurumon is the best kind of ridiculous.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I just like the fact that ShineGreymon was different looking enough to give the Savers Agumon more of an identity than "skinnier versions of the normal Agumon line" as the others were.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My rule of thumb: the more a digimon is covered in metal spikes and blades and cannons the more I like it

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Victorygreymon is a loving terrible design for anything other than some sort of sidegrade powerup for wargreymon

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

War Greymon looks cool and swords are cool, therefore Victory Greymon is double cool. Sorry, it’s just math.
Shine Greymon is more unique and makes a better follow-up to Rize, but is kind of a clusterfuck of a design.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I'll agree as a Rize follow-up, VictoryGreymon is really disappointing. My ideal Rize follow-up would be something like DeckerGreymon tbh, where its basically a dragon tank.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't really think that fits Masaru, honestly. RizeGreymon's all cybernetic, but he's also athletic-looking and one of his attacks is a pistolwhipping.

Masaru's Agumon needs to evolve into something relatively humanoid that can engage the enemy one on one. Lots of dakka isn't really his thing.

But Z'dGarurumon is the one that is really unfitting. Taking a line known for speedy attacks and making the Ultimate form a four legged tank... doesn't fit it at all, and smacks of just being there for marketing, which honestly hurts Next's narrative a fair bit.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

"But he's got a new sword!"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nodosaur posted:

I don't really think that fits Masaru, honestly. RizeGreymon's all cybernetic, but he's also athletic-looking and one of his attacks is a pistolwhipping.

Masaru's Agumon needs to evolve into something relatively humanoid that can engage the enemy one on one. Lots of dakka isn't really his thing.

But Z'dGarurumon is the one that is really unfitting. Taking a line known for speedy attacks and making the Ultimate form a four legged tank... doesn't fit it at all, and smacks of just being there for marketing, which honestly hurts Next's narrative a fair bit.

To be fair, MetalGarurumon was already kind of out of left field for the line outside of still being a blue wolf that can shoot a blue substance out of its mouth.

As a kid, I always thought that Greymon and Garurumon swapped themes for their Mega forms just for kicks.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Geostomp posted:

To be fair, MetalGarurumon was already kind of out of left field for the line outside of still being a blue wolf that can shoot a blue substance out of its mouth.

As a kid, I always thought that Greymon and Garurumon swapped themes for their Mega forms just for kicks.

War and Were being very close helped with that thought, imo. I can tell because I had the same one.