Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

tomorrow will be a month since the last time I was at work, and yeah, it gets kinda dull at times. I can understand people having trouble with retirement.

i always feel the same way after a long vacation, but I feel like after a couple months I would develop a good routine of working on some hobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tk posted:

i always feel the same way after a long vacation, but I feel like after a couple months I would develop a good routine of working on some hobbies.

gently caress i already sneak in time to work on hobbies when i have down-time at work, i think i'll be great at not-working

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Rex-Goliath posted:

the wonder of timbs apple pay just allowed me to impulse buy this poster which will flank my KULTUR TERROR poster nicely. need one more for its other side

link that poo poo

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

link that poo poo

it’s the old, ‘what, me travel?’ wwii poster

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Rex-Goliath posted:

it’s the old, ‘what, me travel?’ wwii poster

yeah but where you bought it from

i couldn't find it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shame Boy posted:

gently caress i already sneak in time to work on hobbies when i have down-time at work, i think i'll be great at not-working

:justpost:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Trying to work up the courage to knit a hat at my desk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

tbh there are plenty of hobbies that can require a lot of work; I just think some people need a “boss” figure or a feeling of legitimacy or value as an employee

it's control over their environment and a feeling of satisfaction with their labor. losing those things markedly raises your blood pressure and stuff. the pro move is to just switch to extremely limited work time, like as a contract worker in your field, and continue to make bank doing v little

what cracks me up is how hoverwife has so little free time that for like her cv and applications and stuff she has to borrow my hobbies lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

yeah but where you bought it from

i couldn't find it

etsy. hopefully the quality is alright

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Etsy is just aliexpress with some marketing about how it was hand crafted and everything mysteriously takes 3 weeks to arrive from china

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

handcrafted by some poor person in China, duh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it never occurred to me that putting hobbies on a resume is a good idea. it's like someone who isn't a new grad having their gpa on it

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Hobbies are something you pull out during an interview to build rapport, not a qualification. Even if they're related to whatever you do professionally, you should be naming the relevant skills and not the hobby.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

My resume is just a link to my post history and rap sheet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
listed right after phd: lol my hobbies are video games and reality tv

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Achmed Jones posted:

it never occurred to me that putting hobbies on a resume is a good idea. it's like someone who isn't a new grad having their gpa on it

they say to put one interesting hobby at the end to make yourself seem well rounded, but it probably depends on what kind of workplace you're applying to.

a few years ago there were a couple of articles encouraging ppl to put warcraft guild on their resumes to show they work well as a team

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

they say to put one interesting hobby at the end to make yourself seem well rounded, but it probably depends on what kind of workplace you're applying to.

a few years ago there were a couple of articles encouraging ppl to put warcraft guild on their resumes to show they work well as a team

I'm a team player and work well under pressure, which is why im putting my blackout quads ADR on the resume

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my hobbies are perfecting my technical skills, working hard, thinking of ways to increase the public image of my employer, and neglecting other aspects of my life and identity

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:whitewater:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my hobbies are fungibility and generating surplus labor

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

MononcQc posted:

my hobbies are perfecting my technical skills, working hard, thinking of ways to increase the public image of my employer, and neglecting other aspects of my life and identity

my biggest weakness? im kind of a workaholic perfectionist!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Why I put World of Warcraft on my resume

Symantec's chief operating officer, Stephen Gillett, has an impressive resume that includes executive stints at Starbucks, CNET and Best Buy. He's also a level 70 paladin and priest with a particular focus on healing abilities.

:negative:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

does he have world firsts or something? or is a major streamer/twitch partner?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

does he have world firsts or something? or is a major streamer/twitch partner?

I doubt that was a thing five years ago

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Why I put World of Warcraft on my resume

Symantec's chief operating officer, Stephen Gillett, has an impressive resume that includes executive stints at Starbucks, CNET and Best Buy. He's also a level 70 paladin and priest with a particular focus on healing abilities.

:negative:

I think he's doing the correlation/causation confusion thing

He's worked his way up the grift ladder far enough that he'd have to do something more than "quirky" to lose out on a job interview

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my biggest weakness? im kind of a workaholic perfectionist!

when i was like in 10th grade, doing one of my very first interviews for a real job (at a camera store) they asked me what my greatest strength and weakness was

i said, truthfully, that my strength was that i knew an incredible amount of stuff about cameras and their technology and was really good at explaining complicated things in a simple way, and could help anyone who was confused make the right decision; and that my greatest weakness was probably that i didn't handle large crowds well and would do better one-on-one than dealing with a lot of people at once.

i did not get the job.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

It's okay. We're told when we're young that honesty is the best policy

It's a dirty, dirty lie meant to allow people to take advantage of you

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

When I applied for my job I brought a folder that contained some excertps from my earlier work, and a couple of things about me, like photos from stage performances and some Arduino things I built. Basically the interview consisted of my boss flipping through the thing for two hours and wanting to know everything. He's a really cool dude tho and his behavior might be more reflective of that than my mad CV skills

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Last time I was looking for a job, I put down "Time Person of the Year 2006" and "Nobel Peace Prize winner 2012" under accomplishments. 2006 was the year Time had a gimmick "you" as the winner, and 2012 the year the Nobel Peace Prize was given to "European Union" (where I leave and therefore am a part of). It came up during the interview and I ended up getting the job.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
that owns

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Ran into couple Teslas chilling in an ex-Sears parking lot at lunch today.

tk fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 17, 2019

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

tk posted:

i hope you went to the szechuan place, it's excellent

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

tk posted:

What temperature was it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

klafbang posted:

2006 was the year Time had a gimmick "you" as the winner

lmao i remember that bullshit, it was specifically about youtube and social networks and ~content creation~ iirc, man that did not age well considering what "everyone is an important internet person with valuable opinions and true facts" has brought us in the decade since then

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pseudoscorpion posted:

i hope you went to the szechuan place, it's excellent

Sichuanese chicken with fried rice, sweet and sour soup, and a poo poo ton of chili oil.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tk posted:

https://twitter.com/wyr_bot/status/1086089525280100353

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tesla is laying off 7% of their employees plus most of their contractors and temps. thankfully they have an army of unpaid fanboys to pick up the slack

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

tesla is laying off 7% of their employees plus most of their contractors and temps. thankfully they have an army of unpaid fanboys to pick up the slack

did we talk about then cutting the referral program too? whats left?

does that just make them a scheme?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder whether having Tesla on your resume will be an insta-hire or a black mark in a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

did we talk about then cutting the referral program too? whats left?

does that just make them a scheme?

the guy who runs elektrek is getting two free roadsters because of the referral program