Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah just peruse the comments of any youtube video about it (don't actually do that) and you'll find plenty of domestic terrorists in waiting rationalizing enslaving women and discounting rape accusations because the anime woman is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you can find that in the youtube comments for anything

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I like music youtube comments that are just a variety of people tellling the he very earnest story of what they were doing when they first heard this song they like.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The very, very basic concept of "several people travel to another world as heroes, but the gloomy guy gets stuck with a poo poo power and is ostracized for it" might have some potential. Maybe if it were handled in a "My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong as I Expected (Monologue)" sort of way, that would work better. This, though, is just vaguely cringey except where it's overtly cringey.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hate-watching is the pastime of a coward, don't give this bad series good watch numbers

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

BattleMaster posted:

I don't know about the print versions, but my boyfriend and I picked this as our cringe of the season and we dropped it after the first episode because it was so dull.

This, I cannot express enough how freaking bland and boring this poo poo is.
It's not so much the awful adventures of Mister Misogyny. For the most part, it's just a by the numbers boring Isekai show with a guy who does some adventuring using his shield that conveniently gets new abilities, perfectly suitable for the current scenario. The only change of pace is the occasional really jarring tonal shift into "What the hell were they thinking!?" territory. And that's not exactly good either.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The world building actually kind of makes me angry because it's dull and a waste even beyond the fact that world building in isekai shows is usually little more than "this world is exactly like a video game with all the same tropes and game logic as physics you would expect." Because at least they spend 30 seconds explaining that at the start of the first episode and then do something with the remainin 20 minutes.

The idea that there are at least 4 different Earths and at least 1 alternate world could have been used for something. Shield Hero is the only one surprised by being transported into another world. Does that mean the other Heroes come from worlds where dimensional travel is known to happen? Does this mean they will be different in some noticeable way? No of course not, they're just a bunch of gamer schlubs indistinguishable from any rando from the Shield Hero's world and the only thing it's used for is to make them unsurprised that shields suck.

Like they aren't even a little surprised to be standing in another world in front of a bunch of wizards with weapons attached to them? Because they've played a game just like it before? You'd better believe that if I was suddenly standing in a video game, even one I've played a ton of, I'd be really drat surprised. Instead they go "beep boop we're robots because the author doesn't understand how other humans think and feel and we're going to start making demands and making fun of one of the three other people we could possibly relate with because the author was made fun of in high school or whatever."

Also some loving matriarchy when the two women with speaking roles are the rape accuser and the servant who shows the Heroes to their rooms. That's a big piece of world building to just use as a throwaway excuse for why rapists get the death penalty.

how the gently caress did it need like 45 minutes to present such an empty void of a setting

edit: Don't get me wrong the malicious false rape accusation and how much the show revelled in it, plus the morally-justified slavery were more than enough to spoil it regardless of anything else

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Hate-watching is the pastime of a coward, don't give this bad series good watch numbers

Also, "ironically" like something is a cowardly way of saying you unironically like something.

My boyfriend and I like to pick one thing per season that has a stupid-sounding premise to watch because we keep doing that and finding stuff we enjoy, even if it's trashy. This and Hand Shakers have the distinction of being the only things we picked this way that had no enjoyable aspects.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 17, 2019

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I never knew of the term isekai before, but after googling it, it appears that like 50% of all anime is that (Inuyasha, etc.)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I mean it literally means "another world" but there's a huge rash recently of the type where "I'm transported to another world that is exactly like a fantasy RPG video game right down to all the tropes and levels and stats and skills, and I'm really powerful". Shield Hero replaces the "and I'm really powerful" part with "and I was falsely accused of rape"

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Ahh OK, the ones I like the most are "I'm weak, but I'm going to abuse/cheat the game systems in unexpected/interesting ways to become overpowered". If Death March removed its crap, it would be exactly what I'm looking for.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah, they're more interesting when the character needs to win through ingenuity rather than just being born into the world totally awesome.

Shield Hero was a waste of what could have been a good concept; with everyone looking down on him for being the weak hero it didn't need to make the character a loathsome piece of poo poo with a false rape accusation on top of that for him to be at a disadvantage, and he could have shown everyone through hard work and skill that he's just as good as or better than the others. While they were busy relying on party members and powerful weapons, Shield Hero was learning and practicing proper fighting skills and tactics, learning to defeat monsters through finesse rather than brute strength, and getting much stronger by barely winning by the skin of his teeth.

But instead he just builds a slave harem???

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't forget, a child slave harem. because the author is a pedophile.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
maybe they just liked usagi drop

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

BattleMaster posted:

I mean it literally means "another world" but there's a huge rash recently of the type where "I'm transported to another world that is exactly like a fantasy RPG video game right down to all the tropes and levels and stats and skills, and I'm really powerful".
I know for a most series it doesn't really matter and the setting is either just a vehicle for character development and hijinks (Konosuba) or a playground for the insanely overpowered MC to have tantrums in (a thousand other nameless forgettable properties) but the vast majority of isekai worlds being just Dragon Quest with the serial numbers filed off is so tiring.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Not even one Final Fantasy I issekai.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:hai:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"Hate-watching" is a term invented so that people who are invested in the idea of having Good Taste don't have to admit that their taste is, in fact, bad, and at its worst is incredibly tiresome and performative

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Not a redeeming feature, but the other heroes wind up loving everything up repeatedly because they think they're in a video game with no consequences.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

"Hate-watching" is a term invented so that people who are invested in the idea of having Good Taste don't have to admit that their taste is, in fact, bad, and at its worst is incredibly tiresome and performative

I mean, watching bad stuff to riff on with friends is valid, and can make the experience of watching a bad movie or show much more tolerable. But one should not confuse this as ironic enjoyment-you are just enjoying it while spending time with your friends/family.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mulderman posted:

This, I cannot express enough how freaking bland and boring this poo poo is.
It's not so much the awful adventures of Mister Misogyny. For the most part, it's just a by the numbers boring Isekai show with a guy who does some adventuring using his shield that conveniently gets new abilities, perfectly suitable for the current scenario. The only change of pace is the occasional really jarring tonal shift into "What the hell were they thinking!?" territory. And that's not exactly good either.

When I write an Isekai I'm going to inconveniently give the hero new abilities after they could have really used them just before. The high school Calculus of Isekai.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordaedil posted:

Not even one Final Fantasy I issekai.

What about Final Fantasy Unlimited

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Final Fantasy Unlimited had a decent OP and ED. I remember them vividly.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Reincarnated as Yamcha needs to be an anime. It would be the best isekai.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly have a huge soft spot for overlord as an isekai because it asks: what happens when all the fun roleplaying springs to life. A guild had fun roleplaying as evil pvpers and made their base and NPC's with that theme; and in the new world, it is home to some of the most foul monsters ever.

The idea of NPC's becoming actual beings but still having the absolute obedience to their master creating a very alien mindset is really what I love the most about the Nazarick characters.

Shield Hero just seems dull and generic comparatively.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pharohman777 posted:

I honestly have a huge soft spot for overlord as an isekai because it asks: what happens when all the fun roleplaying springs to life. A guild had fun roleplaying as evil pvpers and made their base and NPC's with that theme; and in the new world, it is home to some of the most foul monsters ever.

The idea of NPC's becoming actual beings but still having the absolute obedience to their master creating a very alien mindset is really what I love the most about the Nazarick characters.

Shield Hero just seems dull and generic comparatively.

Sort of the same reason I love Log Horizon. I love how the characters aren't actually THAT focused on "How do I get home?" Shirou seems to pretty much be firmly on the point that, frankly, they have no leads, nothing that could give them leads, so what they should do is reform society. Dot Hack is the other great one just because it was an MMO fantasy story that established that there is a big divide between characters online and who they are as people. That's one thing you can't ever fault that franchise for, people were rarely who they seemed to be.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's too bad the .hack animes were boring as hell because that's a concept that could actually make a pretty good show

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I really liked SIGN, though it's not for everyone. Or, barely for anyone I guess. I hated Roots though, and Legend of the Twilight was uhh...well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's too bad .hack wouldn't work now anyway. As mysterious and interesting the first four games/SIGN were, GU was simple shonen stuff that tried really hard and failed to recreate that mystery vibe. I hold a torch for the franchise, but playing through Last Recode on the ps4 has been an eye opening experience.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gu is way better if you go in expecting little, and then the massive amount of backghround work surprises you. fake flamewars on fake forums is rad

the OG games are impossible for me to play, they're such a slog

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shinjobi posted:

It's too bad .hack wouldn't work now anyway. As mysterious and interesting the first four games/SIGN were, GU was simple shonen stuff that tried really hard and failed to recreate that mystery vibe. I hold a torch for the franchise, but playing through Last Recode on the ps4 has been an eye opening experience.

I don't think G.U. was trying to create the mystery vibe because... there isn't a Mystery.

G.U. is about the characters, that's why it's called G.U. for "Grow Up" and all of the characters are mentally hosed in some way, starting with our protagonist, Haseo, who we met all the way back in Sign as Sora. Kuhn, who's another major character, is another returning character, having been Siegfried from IMOQ, AKA the boyfriend of Mai Minase from the Liminality OVA, and he's kinda messed up since she dumped him and hasn't been able to form real relationships since. And that's not even going into the trainwreck of hosed that is Endrance. Poor bloody Elk's gone full Hikikomori from losing Mia, it's pretty telling that the most normal person Haseo knows is Silabus. Atoli was recruited by Sakaki from a suicide website, and Sakaki himself is a psychotic ten-year-old.

The main issue I have with G.U. is they abuse the Tournament structure to essentially fill out space between the plot beats. But I never got the impression it was a mystery, even "What is the AIDA?" Isn't really the focus of the story, so much as "Who is Azure Kite?->What the hell is Sakaki up to?->What is Ovan up to?" Where each one is a focus on a character, where as IMOQ's focus is pure Mystery "What the hell is Aura, the Book of Twilight, Morganna, the Phases? Why are people going into coma's? how can we wake them up? What is destroying The World? What was Harold after?"

They are very different stories but I don't dislike either.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I really liked SIGN, though it's not for everyone. Or, barely for anyone I guess. I hated Roots though, and Legend of the Twilight was uhh...well.

Legend of the Twilight is really weird because I read the manga and it's very different from the anime. Still very fanservicy and strange, but unlike the anime, it's an actual story, not this weird... thing the anime was. And it didn't have a tonne of incest subtext because the Anime sure felt that was necessary.

I think Roots is terrible as well, just... boring. It's like "Want to know how Haseo got to this point where he became the Legendary PKK?" "Not really." "Good, because it's dull."

Let's be real though, Sign thrives on its soundtrack.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
only good isekai is now and then here and there anyway.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Onmi posted:

This is a fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqWX5bjl1Ic

Zerilan posted:

only good isekai is now and then here and there anyway.

KONOSUBA

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Onmi posted:

Legend of the Twilight is really weird because I read the manga and it's very different from the anime. Still very fanservicy and strange, but unlike the anime, it's an actual story, not this weird... thing the anime was. And it didn't have a tonne of incest subtext because the Anime sure felt that was necessary.

Yeah. It's still not great but it's better.

quote:

Yeaaaaaaaaah. I think it's pretty good looking for the time, too, but drat that soundtrack..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_g83wO0g6Q

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Still have it on my phone and been listening to it since it came out.

Well, it's still difficult to recommend to people, but at the time, Hikaru no Go was struggling to explain what the Internet was and American shows didn't even understand what it was.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Onmi posted:

I think Roots is terrible as well, just... boring. It's like "Want to know how Haseo got to this point where he became the Legendary PKK?" "Not really." "Good, because it's dull."

Roots isn't bad, so much as not much of interest. It's a 5/10 show.

As for good sign music tho https://youtu.be/KrYM4EfAO9I

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love levar burton.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
At one point the shield hero walks into a tavern and someone turns to another person and whispers "Is that the rapist?"

It sort of came out of nowhere and made me laugh.

I skipped over like 75% of the first episode because it was just 'grrr I hate women' I find a lot of these newer isekai shows to be even more wish fulfillment than regular isekai.

"Women with free will don't like me, but if they were forced to obey me they'd realize they really like me and I'm great." At some point in the past 5 years a bunch of LN authors must have discovered the Gor series of fantasy novels or something.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah, they're more interesting when the character needs to win through ingenuity rather than just being born into the world totally awesome.

While they were busy relying on party members and powerful weapons, Shield Hero was learning and practicing proper fighting skills and tactics, learning to defeat monsters through finesse rather than brute strength, and getting much stronger by barely winning by the skin of his teeth.

You misspelled Goblin Slayer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mirage posted:

The very, very basic concept of "several people travel to another world as heroes, but the gloomy guy gets stuck with a poo poo power and is ostracized for it" might have some potential. Maybe if it were handled in a "My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong as I Expected (Monologue)" sort of way, that would work better. This, though, is just vaguely cringey except where it's overtly cringey.

The annoying thing is that they nearly invariably aren't actually poo poo powers, and quickly end up revealing themselves to, in fact, be ridiculously OP. Usually this seems to occur through the ability to copy other powers - for some reason that specific ability is very, very common. I mean seriously, just think about it for a second - it applies to Arifureta, Shield Hero, Slime, Sword Dad...poo poo, more than half of these series seem to involve what is fundamentally the same sort of power.

LorneReams posted:

Ahh OK, the ones I like the most are "I'm weak, but I'm going to abuse/cheat the game systems in unexpected/interesting ways to become overpowered". If Death March removed its crap, it would be exactly what I'm looking for.

The thing makes this premise extremely dull for me is that, at its core, it's no different than someone just directly and explicitly being overpowered. There's no practical difference between "I reincarnated with absurd powers that enable me to beat everyone" and "I reincarnated with unique knowledge of how to exploit the system to gain absurd powers that enable me to beat everyone." I also don't really get the point of reading about someone leveling up or exploiting the systems of a game that doesn't even exist. Like, the author can completely arbitrarily be like "and, uh, the protagonist leveled up. and learned this really strong skill, I guess, that only they can learn!" This is a big issue I had with "I'm a Spider So What."

The way Grimgar deals with a game-ish system is probably the best I've read. The skills themselves are generally very "grounded" and well-defined, and people just pay money to be taught them. They are then used as part of the characters' tool-sets in fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

SerCypher posted:

"Women with free will don't like me, but if they were forced to obey me they'd realize they really like me and I'm great." At some point in the past 5 years a bunch of LN authors must have discovered the Gor series of fantasy novels or something.

Devil's advocate here. That's not really the reason for getting a slave or his views on women in general.
He had a rough initial introduction and got hosed over by an evil bitch. This caused a severe lack in trust in people in general, not just women.
Slaves being unable to lie and betray him, is something he can deal with in order to prepare himself for the upcoming fights.

Shield Hero is supposed to be a damaged hero. And you can tell an interesting story about that.
It's a shame the author hosed up literally every single opportunity to do so.