Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Someone in a PYF thread said they are embarrassed about what their favorite movie was when they were a teenager, but at least now that they're older and wiser they have a legit favorite to be proud of.....Cabin in the Woods. Lol

That's favorite movie, period. In any genre.

What was the other movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

DeimosRising posted:

What was the other movie

77 minutes of paint on a wall drying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

What was the other movie

American Beauty, I guess because liking a Spacey movie is now problematic. I'd quote the actual post but I dunno that felt too mean for some reason.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
you shouldn't be embarrassed about any movie being your favorite. unless it's The Boondock Saints

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

you shouldn't be embarrassed about any movie being your favorite. unless it's The Boondock Saints

the boondock saints is a national treasure and i will not have its good name disparaged in this thread

the same goes for the entirety of the evil bong series

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

the boondock saints is a national treasure and i will not have its good name disparaged in this thread

the same goes for the entirety of the evil bong series

there's nothing wrong with the Evil Bong movies, but The Boondock Saints is a movie for edgy teens about how murdering people you don't like is cool and good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Boondock Saints doesn't advocate murdering people you don't like. Sometimes it's okay to just punch them out. Like if a woman is gay, or ugly, or talking too much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Boondock Saints doesn't advocate murdering people you don't like. Sometimes it's okay to just punch them out. Like if a woman is gay, or ugly, or talking too much.

Well, it says that if you think your neighborhood has a crime problem you should just buy some guns and go around murdering people you deem to be criminals.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Basebf555 posted:

Someone in a PYF thread said they are embarrassed about what their favorite movie was when they were a teenager, but at least now that they're older and wiser they have a legit favorite to be proud of.....Cabin in the Woods. Lol

That's favorite movie, period. In any genre.

Wait, when did this form turn against it? I remember when it came out people here wouldn't stop praising how amazing it was.

Basebf555 posted:

Well, it says that if you think your neighborhood has a crime problem you should just buy some guns and go around murdering people you deem to be criminals.

They should have the decency to dress up like a bat before they start murdering criminals.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Boondock Saints might as well be fascist propaganda

Edit: it's still less shameful than my dad's favorites, Dances With Wolves and Battlefield Earth

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a religious fanatic with a gun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Pomp posted:

Edit: it's still less shameful than my dad's favorites, Dances With Wolves and Battlefield Earth
Both of those films have better cinematography than Boondock Saints. And the religious themes make more sense.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Your dad rules, Pomp.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Boondocks Saints goes to PTA meetings and demands to know why there isn’t a white history month.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Pomp posted:

Boondock Saints might as well be fascist propaganda

100% mixed up Battlefield Earth for Battle: Los Angeles as I scrolled through and for a moment I was worried your Dad was having an identity crisis.

The latter, however, has one of my favorite unintentionally funny lines in movie history, so overall win for me remembering it exists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Wait, when did this form turn against it? I remember when it came out people here wouldn't stop praising how amazing it was.

It's ok for what it is, I don't really hate it, but favorite movie of all time? I told the person who said that to watch more movies.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Boondock Saints has like 15 quality minutes of entertainment in it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Boondock Saints owns multiple Alex Jones tactical bath kits

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Boondocks Saints is an excellent film guys

It's about two psychopaths who are convinced they're right, slaughtering a bunch of people and getting punished for it because they're the villains

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Boondocks Saints is an excellent film guys

It's about two psychopaths who are convinced they're right, slaughtering a bunch of people and getting punished for it because they're the villains

Even if that is the case(it's not, Troy Duffy is too dumb for that), it's poorly made in almost every way you can think of. At least stuff like Fight Club and Scarface have real talent behind the camera that make them good films regardless of what you think the message is.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Boondock Saints is the film equivalent of the Peeing Calvin window decal

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

To be fair, Cabin in the Woods is better than American Beauty. But not by much.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

we literally do nothing but talk about movies where giant psychopaths mindless and viciously butcher people all day but boondock saints is where you people draw a moral line thats really fuckin weird

willem dafoe in that movie is fantastic maybe its bc i watched it as a kid a lot but its nostalgic asf for me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

we literally do nothing but talk about movies where giant psychopaths mindless and viciously butcher people all day but boondock saints is where you people draw a moral line thats really fuckin weird

Freddy Kruger isn't the good guy in his movies

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the "good guy" in boondock saints is willem dafoe not the macmanus brothers

EDIT: at least as a kid that's how i always saw it

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 17, 2019

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Just cause spacey is a pedo rapist doesn’t retroactively mean American Beauty isn’t good

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Counterpoint: Freddy’s Revenge has a more nuanced portrayal of queer culture than Boondock Saints.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Ebert nailed it

quote:

The lads are loyal to the church in the same way their fans are loyal to Da Bears. They aren't players themselves, but it's their team and don't mess with it. They do hold a quasi-religious ceremony, standing in a circle with a pal and vowing to never, ever, stop smoking or drinking or attend an AA meeting. Drinking doesn't bother them, anyway. They chug whiskey like Gatorade. The only thing that bothers them, and they're super sensitive about this, is the slightest suggestion that they're gay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

willem dafoe in that movie is fantastic maybe its bc i watched it as a kid a lot but its nostalgic asf for me

With Boondock Saints I think the reactions to it are more the result of that disparity between the reception it got when it was released vs. what it actually is. It's not clever and it's not well made, and it has a lovely message so why watch it?

We've called out plenty of horror movies here for having lovely messages/misogyny/being unnecessarily mean spirited too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kvlt! posted:

The use of flashbacks was really good, especially the way the narrative brought Defoe's character into the flashbacks as he got closer to catching the brothers.

Basebf555 posted:

With Boondock Saints I think the reactions to it are more the result of that disparity between the reception it got when it was released vs. what it actually is. It's not clever and it's not well made, and it has a lovely message so why watch it?

We've called out plenty of horror movies here for having lovely messages/misogyny/being unnecessarily mean spirited too.

Look at the comic book movie threads, where people advocate for characters like Batman to murder people.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

to be fair to me watching it as a little 10 year old who grew up in Boston it was just a cool action movie about people shooting mobsters i never really analyzed it or thought about it as anything other than a fun movie with cool fights

MetalPriestess
May 18, 2011

I finally decided to watch The Conjuring last night. I made it about 20 minutes in before I was so bored that I turned it off and watched Return of the Living Dead again. I regret nothing.

Freddie's delivery of, "You mean the movie lied?!" cracks me up every time. Also apparently the German mortician is supposed to be a nazi?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tolkien minority posted:

Just cause spacey is a pedo rapist doesn’t retroactively mean American Beauty isn’t good

Yeah but it's also not good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I put American Beauty and Crash in the same genre of romanticized pretension.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Fart City posted:

dont diss cronenberg like that

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here

Let's have a more positive message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ-vLZBiCNI

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Kvlt! posted:

to be fair to me watching it as a little 10 year old who grew up in Boston it was just a cool action movie about people shooting mobsters i never really analyzed it or thought about it as anything other than a fun movie with cool fights
I felt the same way as a kid, but my standards are higher now.

I don't think it contains a single shot where someone fires a gun at someone else and they get hit. Everything is shot reverse shot.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I generally agree with you but some people “of a certain age” had to deal with the weird cult following it got from tedious college assholes when it first came out on dvd. I understand the backlash.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

Crash was loving infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

dont diss cronenberg like that

No no no, not the car crash sex one

The gross one.