Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Krankenstyle posted:

also wtf is this poo poo, could it be any more impenetrable

never never never never never ask this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Foo posted:

never never never never never ask this

i know :negative:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
ok here's a tp question

if XML is bad and JSON is bad, then what do? How do I format my RESTive API output?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
actually xml is good.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

actually xml is good.

well my boss is convinced it's bad bad bad

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
your boss is an idiot, hth

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Finster Dexter posted:

ok here's a tp question

if XML is bad and JSON is bad, then what do? How do I format my RESTive API output?

base64

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

ok here's a tp question

just do it like an old Unix utility and do whatever bespoke text format you feel like. a little text parsing never hurt anyone

(just use json)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

writer = csv.writer(f, dialect=csv.excel_tab, quoting=csv.QUOTE_NONE, quotechar=None, escapechar='\\')

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
reminder that json was created as a hack for poor javascript design and performance

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

reminder that json was created as a hack for poor javascript design and performance

shaggar was right

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
here's a little homework assignment:

put this number in a value in a json document and send it somewhere: 18014398509481985

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Are you trying to trick me into broadcasting my IP address???

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah fixed-precision decimal is one of the issues I'm currently wrestling with in our API, as js doesn't have them, so the frontend dev refuses to pull in a decimal library so we're finally just like "use strings then because values like 0.00005000000000000001 are getting hosed up on the way to the backend because they don't match the expected value of 0.00005"

I mentioned XML a few weeks ago and my boss flipped out about lovely xml this and bad xml that

Oh, and then there's the issues with Json.NET... I'm hating json more and more every day

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

also wtf is this poo poo, could it be any more impenetrable

code:
for t in range(2, len(word)):
    temp = [(x[0] + (j,), (x[1] * self.tran[x[0][-1]][j] * self.emis[j][word[t]]))
        for j in self.states for x in paths]

I like python, but good God list comprehension is the tool that attracts the most ”I just learned this tool it will now be my hammer for everything!” people.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ooh so here’s a fun problem

all SCI variables are 16-bit signed integers. I kinda need numbers larger than 32767...

looks like i get to write a wrapper around 16-bit numbers that makes them into 32-bit numbers and reimplements all the math operators? lol

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Krankenstyle posted:

oh god converting bytestring py2 to unicode py3 just kill me

we switched production over from python2 to python3 today and it seems like we did the conversion right because so far we haven't had any issues at all really :smug:

found a few very minor obscure bugs that we didn't catch in regression testing, and we needed to flush the cache on deploy because of pickling incompatibilities but other than that it seems to be working perfectly. now we just need to clean out the compatibility libraries and remove the python2 test pipeline from ci and we can officially declare mission complete

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

^^^:argh:^^^

ratbert90 posted:

I like python, but good God list comprehension is the tool that attracts the most ”I just learned this tool it will now be my hammer for everything!” people.

yeah theyre a magnet for "clever" coders

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also our volunteers did too good of a job :sigh:

we have a bunch of mangled text that we want to correct, so we asked volunteers to correct a subset that we could use for training & verification of the system. i specifically requested that they not move words/lines around, i only wanted letters corrected but they went and did the whole thing anyway so now the diffs are all hosed up and practically worthless because nothing aligns.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

^^^:argh:^^^

yeah theyre a magnet for "clever" coders

I swear to god, every time I submit a PR with a nested loop, some green Python programmer will comment on it and go "You know you can use List Comprehension here yeah? :smug:" and then produce a single line of unreadable garbage.

To which I will reply "Yes, I am aware of that, but I want my code readable, not parsable."

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
my favorite trigger is the DDL one that records all changes to database objects (tables, indexes, stored procs, ...) to a table somewhere so you can find which clown decided to randomly deploy some ad hoc thing outside of source control and gently caress everything up

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Apologies for interrupting trigger-chat, but backtracking demonstrated using ballerinas to solve the 4-queen problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8bM6pxlrLY

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jabor posted:

it turns out that just having a map you can query in the forward direction, and another map you can query in the reverse direction, is actually a pretty convenient api for this sort of data structure

https://github.com/google/guava/wiki/NewCollectionTypesExplained#bimap

That's not a bifunctor, it's a profunctor. You imbecile. You loving moron

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

xtal posted:

That's not a bifunctor, it's a profunctor. You imbecile. You loving moron

I don't appreciate the type erasure you're committing here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jit bull transpile posted:

I don't appreciate the type erasure you're committing here

:hmmyes:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ratbert90 posted:

I see the exact same effect on people with java streams and C# linq

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I learned today that my company didn't close series B. A fortune 20 company bought us and is dumping $350,000,000 into us. I also have equity. I learn more next week. :stare:

Edit* When the news goes public I am tempted to email my old companies CEO with the good news. :v:

Edit Edit*

They are going to fly all 100 of us to LA for a two-day party/dinner. gently caress yeah! I say, as I stand at LAX flying back home. :v:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 18, 2019

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

I learned today that my company didn't close series B. A fortune 20 company bought us and is dumping $350,000,000 into us. I also have equity. I learn more next week. :stare:

drat, congrats. Time to buy your old company!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ratbert90 posted:

Edit* When the news goes public I am tempted to email my old companies CEO with the good news. :v:

Edit Edit*

They are going to fly all 100 of us to LA for a two-day party/dinner. gently caress yeah! I say, as I stand at LAX flying back home. :v:

stack that fuckin paper my dude

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

stack that fuckin paper my dude

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't feel like I deserve it. I'm just an Embedded Linux engineer. I'm sure there's way better ones out there than I am. I was just in the right place at the right time.

I wouldn't even be here had my old coworker called me and asked if I wanted to rejoin the team.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ratbert90 posted:

I don't feel like I deserve it. I'm just an Embedded Linux engineer. I'm sure there's way better ones out there than I am. I was just in the right place at the right time.

I wouldn't even be here had my old coworker called me and asked if I wanted to rejoin the team.

use your millions to buyout sa from lotax and hire non-scam devs to work on it imo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
you don't have to keep it

do some good in the world with it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

you don't have to keep it

do some good in the world with it

Once I have details, I will contact a financial adviser. There's a very high possibility it will be a year or two before they vest fully.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

put the money into bitcounts, i heard theyre good

but nice if u strike it rich, good for you. just dont go all gauche nouveau riche on us

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

Promise me you will use your Applebee's gift card for good, not evil

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

40% tips

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i tip 25% now on the reg

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

gonadic io posted:

use your millions to buyout sa from lotax and hire non-scam devs to work on it imo

if subjunctive wont do it ratbert wont do it

wasn't there also a much earlier facebook guy, did luelinks or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
didn’t ratbert start his job relatively recently? and what is his equity exactly, stock options? congrats to the dude but lol at pretending he’s going to come out a millionaire from this