Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Roth posted:

Didn't take long before I found that starglazedmuffins dude had liked a video about how terrible the new Gillette ad is.

I wonder why the dude doesn't want to be interviewed by a chud?

I don't think anyone wonders WHY he doesn't want to be interviewed. Even non-chud fans can be a huge pain to deal with. It's just like, wow, that is really not the response one usually sees from someone whose job is to interface with the public.

Basically,

Andrast posted:

Both of them seem to be babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Nah, that's the proper response to an internet chud wanting to interview you

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The only summary of the Gilette ad that you really need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S44QHtgc34

On a side note, I hear that Jordan Peterson and Dave Rubin did the big bro step of deleting their Patreons over them being censorious or whatever. I almost respect their dedication to such things, even if it's...well, y'know, really silly and dumb and they're probably going to be getting cash in many other ways too so who really gives a toss tbh

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

The only summary of the Gilette ad that you really need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S44QHtgc34

On a side note, I hear that Jordan Peterson and Dave Rubin did the big bro step of deleting their Patreons over them being censorious or whatever. I almost respect their dedication to such things, even if it's...well, y'know, really silly and dumb and they're probably going to be getting cash in many other ways too so who really gives a toss tbh

Jorp streamed his deletion, and to the surprise of nobody, he was making half of what he was making when he made his monthly amount private last year. It’s still a heap of cash ($30,000 or something similarly obscene), but he knows his star is on the way down and is trying to goose whatever he can out of the grift before it’s too late.

Sadly, he probably didn’t blow it all and set himself up for a life of penury as an unemployable freak.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bethesda has writers?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Alaois posted:

bethesda has writers?

Honestly if you told me that all of their stories since Shivering Isles had been generated by an algorithm I would believe you.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Alaois posted:

bethesda has writers?

Yeah, they draw their names from a hat and everything.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alaois posted:

bethesda has writers?

ostensibly i guess they do, but none of their writing has been any good since kirkrbide left

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Jorp streamed his deletion, and to the surprise of nobody, he was making half of what he was making when he made his monthly amount private last year. It’s still a heap of cash ($30,000 or something similarly obscene), but he knows his star is on the way down and is trying to goose whatever he can out of the grift before it’s too late.

Sadly, he probably didn’t blow it all and set himself up for a life of penury as an unemployable freak.

Nah he's way too much of a stiffshirt for that. In many ways he appears to be one of those true believers to the point where sometimes he fucks up with his audience (as opposed to Rubin who is just a flat-out grifter) for not taking some ridiculous position. There seems to be some more Patreon alternatives sprouting up in recent months too, my guess is they move to one of those if they haven't already.

It does seem more and more that the likes of Peterson and Rubin are gradually losing relevance. Makes me wonder what's out there to replace them, I've kinda gone out of the loop with a lot of this sort of thing. As I get older somehow I can't muster myself to give a poo poo when someone's frothing over a freaking razor advert.

(That line of barbecue replicants emotionlessly chanting "BOYS WILL BE BOYS" is a massive laugh though. I almost half expected them to start marching and running rampant over capital cities with superhuman toxic masculine death rays.)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the worst part about the sargon/patreon feud was having to side with one half of pomplamoose.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
New ContraPoints

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbBzhqJK3bg

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Very, very good!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Groovelord Neato posted:

the worst part about the sargon/patreon feud was having to side with one half of pomplamoose.

Are they that group that did accapella covers of popular songs? People still give a gently caress about them?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, probably yea but still it's very good to answer 'how did a vault tech computer get a reference to Jet' with 'man who gives a gently caress'

"So in this quest, you find this ghoul kid stuck inside a fridge, and he's apparently been stuck in there for 200 years, without food or water (unless there was some in the fridge). How did he survive all that time? Not to mention, if he was stuck in there all that time, why does he seem relatively well adjusted? Wouldn't being stuck in a dark, enclosed container for that length of time drive someone crazy?"

"Shut up, nerd. Just buy our game and don't ask questions."

There's a line between getting pedantic about animation goofs or missing minor lore details*, and being disappointed with the lack of effort that was put into crafting a cohesive world and narrative.

In short, Bethesda's efforts in writing (and Fallout 76) can be best summarized like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbi2wwVB7i4

:goonsay: *However it's also worth pointing out that the inconsistency ofJet being referenced on on a VaultTec computer, despite Jet not existing until the events of Fallout 2, is present in a different area of the game; you can loot pre-war safes in Fallout 4, yet still find the pipe weapons that raiders use. There is a mod that fixes this, though.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

:goonsay: *However it's also worth pointing out that the inconsistency ofJet being referenced on on a VaultTec computer, despite Jet not existing until the events of Fallout 2, is present in a different area of the game; you can loot pre-war safes in Fallout 4, yet still find the pipe weapons that raiders use. There is a mod that fixes this, though.

To nitpick the nitpick: Pipe weapons are implied to be pre-war, as the cover "Guns and Bullets" #4 in Fallout 4 is titled "Street Guns of Detriot" with a picture of a pipe pistol on the cover.

But, yeah, there is a difference between "mention of jet" and "this whole quest makes no sense" such as the vanilla Fallout 3 ending, which even Bethesda thought was dumb in retrospect.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The weird thing about that Bethesda twitter guy's response is that he even bothered to respond. Like, this sort of writing question is not his job no matter who is asking it or if it's in good or bad faith. Just... Walk away from the screen

Close your browser window haha

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Twincityhacker posted:

To nitpick the nitpick: Pipe weapons are implied to be pre-war, as the cover "Guns and Bullets" #4 in Fallout 4 is titled "Street Guns of Detriot" with a picture of a pipe pistol on the cover.

But, yeah, there is a difference between "mention of jet" and "this whole quest makes no sense" such as the vanilla Fallout 3 ending, which even Bethesda thought was dumb in retrospect.

Really?

Huh, I never found that magazine, so I just assumed they were all raider weapons. Shows what I know.

Another thing about Fallout 3 is that the whole plot really fails to hold up when you ask the question, "What is the Enclave's goal?"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Max Wilco posted:

Really?

Huh, I never found that magazine, so I just assumed they were all raider weapons. Shows what I know.

Another thing about Fallout 3 is that the whole plot really fails to hold up when you ask the question, "What is the Enclave's goal?"

I was going to make a very obvious Trump joke here, but Fallout 3 came out in 2008 so that doesn't really apply. God, those were such happier times. :smith:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I was going to make a very obvious Trump joke here, but Fallout 3 came out in 2008 so that doesn't really apply. God, those were such happier times. :smith:

2008 was the financial crisis..........

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vagabundo posted:

Are they that group that did accapella covers of popular songs? People still give a gently caress about them?

they did "twee" covers of popular songs. the guy half is the founder of patreon.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I know their music might not be to some's tastes but is there anything objectionable about them?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he hosed up by changing the way they changed patrons.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I Before E posted:

The weird thing about that Bethesda twitter guy's response is that he even bothered to respond. Like, this sort of writing question is not his job no matter who is asking it or if it's in good or bad faith. Just... Walk away from the screen

Close your browser window haha

Nah, following Hideki Kamiya example and treating gamers like ignorant shits they are is the only correct way

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Nah, following Hideki Kamiya example and treating gamers like ignorant shits they are is the only correct way

However if you're a woman that does this you will probably lose your job

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

Facts. I loving hate this double standard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I watched spoony for the first time in forever re-watching the old ultima reviews and had two thoughts

a. man his belligerent anger at ultima 9 not respecting the canon is way less funny now that white dudes throwing fits about this poo poo has become so prevalent and toxic
b. does he still produce new content? I couldn't find anything but I dunno maybe he rebranded or went to a different media

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think he streams games that's about it. fell off doing anything after he got the 5k per month on patreon.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I watched spoony for the first time in forever re-watching the old ultima reviews and had two thoughts

a. man his belligerent anger at ultima 9 not respecting the canon is way less funny now that white dudes throwing fits about this poo poo has become so prevalent and toxic
b. does he still produce new content? I couldn't find anything but I dunno maybe he rebranded or went to a different media

He was playing it up, though. How much is up for debate. I mean, Richard Garriott himself watched those, had a laugh, and invited him over to play Medieval times at his feudal domain. And to his credit, he didn't hiss at the monster who destroyed his childhood but seemed to have a legitimate fun time and a good talk.

He's down to some 400 bucks onPatreon and just streams. In a bad way, he did predict the trajectory of most content producers. Peak early either on the hype or by playing up their worst aspects, burn out or become a hostage to the dumb part of their audience, and revert back to an easy, steady mode that can hold on to a faithful, small fraction of your earlier fanhood.

Sad that it happened to him, and even sadder when it also wrecked Two Best Friends. I really like edited content (I have actual friends for just watching someoen fart around, thank heavens), and it seems it's going the same way as the dodo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sephyr posted:

He's down to some 400 bucks onPatreon and just streams. In a bad way, he did predict the trajectory of most content producers. Peak early either on the hype or by playing up their worst aspects, burn out or become a hostage to the dumb part of their audience, and revert back to an easy, steady mode that can hold on to a faithful, small fraction of your earlier fanhood.

i cant really blame the fans though for wanting some kind of content and when he doesnt deliver anything pulling their money. i mean he hasnt made big videos or any videos of any kind in years and he basically bailed on all the promises he made. most of his streams are just him getting really mad at the game or chat or just yell on twitter as his dog. i think most of the fans just want him to make some kind of video again. i dont think he is bad guy and i think he clearly has some mental issues that he needs help with.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 17, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think he streams games that's about it. fell off doing anything after he got the 5k per month on patreon.

And even then those aren't a lot of fun, or they didn't use to be. Even aside average Twitch dorks who come to troll, he'd flip out over just about anything, although admittedly that was before he started getting help. Spoony was always one of those content creators who is so much better with a script and editing, but I also get that's the most tiring stuff to do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kinda sucks twitch and patreon weren't a thing when he started cuz he'd probably be loaded.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have a theory that the internet is a perpetual downward slope in the effort of content that captures a large audience

2008 -edited 20 min reviews
2013 - nah bruv, let's plays, let's just play a game and record over I
Now - stream and dont even have to edit or upload

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I mention it here because the actual RLM thread is scary and mean, but there's a Re:View up of Return of the Living Dead.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have a theory that the internet is a perpetual downward slope in the effort of content that captures a large audience

minimal/zero effort reviews were insanely popular in the early days of youtube/google video.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oh god I just remembered the time the nostalgia critic tried to lp because it was becoming the new thing

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A lot of the bigger Twitch streamers hire someone to make edited down youtube videos of their streams and they do really well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mel Mudkiper posted:

oh god I just remembered the time the nostalgia critic tried to lp because it was becoming the new thing

Wasn't it the first Simpsons game? I remember people being offended how bad he was at it.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i cant really blame the fans though for wanting some kind of content and when he doesnt deliver anything pulling their money. i mean he hasnt made big videos or any videos of any kind in years and he basically bailed on all the promises he made. most of his streams are just him getting really mad at the game or chat or just yell on twitter as his dog. i think most of the fans just want him to make some kind of video again. i dont think he is bad guy and i think he clearly has some mental issues that he needs help with.

Oh, beyond a doubt. I remember him posting on Twitter before his first ban, about being unhappy with a therapist or some mood medications having side effects. It's a sad case, because he certainly can entertain. Online culture has exposed tons of people to the worst effects of sudden fame, and it broke the majority of them in some way.

And it galls me how apparently DarkSydePhyl was the true visionary of our times. He never gave a toss from the first, and eventually Youtube/streaming culture followed.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

fatherboxx posted:

yeah but to do the Hideki Kamiya thing you have to make a good game first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Being in the game industry is effectively the American Retail of having a programming degree, probably doing yourself a favor....

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have a strong dislike to streamers who reupload their VODs and don't bother highlighting the 20+ minutes of "stream will start soon" and hitting the "delete" key and pressing "Yes".