Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BloodBag posted:

Benny Hill style video complete with Yackety Sax backing...trax, or it didn't happen.

My wife was planning on making a track video with the timelapse and her making car noises. The only thing I have video of is a late model camaro with its rear end parked in the gravel trap at turn 2 of the out lap and me swearing about it and life in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Along those line, I'll pull some video of Saturday.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 17, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dave Inc. posted:

Anyone ever do an event with Just Track It? I just did one yesterday at Barber and I've never seen a more crowded track with less etiquette being displayed. People tailing at race distance, consistent passing without pointbys, entering corners two or three wide--I've seen less door to door racing at Lemons.

Going by your videos, you're a much much better driver than me, and I can't imagine what you think of as race distance. I attended a COMSCC event whene in my beginner group, people on race tires were taking up my whole rear view mirror in braking zones. I think I'm ok with lax HPDE rules as long as every single driver in a group is signed off on that stuff by the instructors. But that was definitely not the case. There was me overbraking and hugging an apex and some instructor on his own driving time getting the rear loose passing me on the outside of the corner.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I should buy a camera that has an external mic input, until then mute

I managed a 1:50:000 at Arizona Motorsports Park CW this past weekend for my first time there with aero. I robbed myself of breaking into the 40s, so that will have to wait until next month. I'm getting dyno'd and weighed on Wednesday for MAYBE NASA TT4 next year (lol so overweight / underpowered) and or at least the local NASA TA-B which I think I have a pretty decent chance of winning. I expect 2800lb / 205whp. TT4 record is like a 1:43 from Dave Schotz in a C4 Camaro, dude is a beast and holds a bunch of local records across classes. ST4 record is a 1:49. No idea what TT5 times are like, but TA-B times are slower than ST4 by quite a bit.

TA-B is 10.0 to 14.99 pounds to hp and a 100TW tire limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw7RNOwFdFY

I hesitate posting this because I know I should have been a LOT more patient.... so it is an example of what not to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9I5IVGxk0

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 22, 2019

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I think I'm ok with lax HPDE rules as long as every single driver in a group is signed off on that stuff by the instructors. But that was definitely not the case. There was me overbraking and hugging an apex and some instructor on his own driving time getting the rear loose passing me on the outside of the corner.

Yeah, it pretty much has to be the advanced group for that stuff. I swear intermediate groups are the most dangerous - lots of confidence cause they're signed off solo, lots of times without the skills to back it up. The instructor was pulling a dick move with passing like that in a beginner group.

The best, most considerate lapping I've had was running advanced with open passing. Most people still pointed by, but just in lots more exciting spots - it was nice not to need to wait for a passing zone to get by slower traffic / let faster cars by. Plus, given the open aspect, everyone had their heads on swivel.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I made 200whp on the dot today, it hurts a little. :lol:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

Lol that torque.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BlackMK4 posted:

time for a k24

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Phone posted:

time for a k24

I think you might be joking, but that is kind of what I've been thinking for a while now, the motor in the car has 175k miles and eats about a quart of oil a day total (in addition to what my non-vacuumed can catches). It almost comes out cheaper than a used F22C.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 20, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

I hesitate posting this because I know I should have been a LOT more patient.... so it is an example of what not to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9I5IVGxk0

Park on apex and hold you up, disappear into the distance, repeat

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

Park on apex and hold you up, disappear into the distance, repeat

Awd life baby!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The car in front of him is my friend in a SS 1LE, if that gives you an idea of how much power he is making (prolly pretty far over 400whp)

Most power people in the group will lift for slower cars or get the idea after one straight.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 21, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I can't throw stones really, I assume every HPDE miata/crx that gets stuck behind me bitches about the same thing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Speaking of miatas, I have my eye on a NB miata that is semi-prepped. Any miata bros have a few minutes for me to PM the ad/pics to them and see what you think a good price is?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Yeah, PM me.

In semi related news I got a 2003 Miata SE with ABS, a bad transmission and a fair amount of rust for $2500 to use as a parts car. If anyone in NC needs parts let me know. Keeping a lot as spares though.

Held off on a $1,900 1999 that had a hard top, but no ABS to get this one.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 23, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FatCow posted:

Yeah, PM me.

In semi related news I got a 2003 SE with ABS, a bad transmission and a fair amount of rust for $2500 to use as a parts car. If anyone in NC needs parts let me know. Keeping a lot as spares though.

PMed

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

Yeah, PM me.

In semi related news I got a 2003 Miata SE with ABS, a bad transmission and a fair amount of rust for $2500 to use as a parts car. If anyone in NC needs parts let me know. Keeping a lot as spares though.

Ha! Driver's rear upper control arm, (white or black) front driver's and passenger's fenders and front bumper cover, front light assy (l and r), airbox mounting plate + hardware, spoiler-less trunklid... is the airbox and snorkel assy for the 2003 shared by the 2001?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Hey good news! The photographer from Barber caught a shot of the miata that didn't know the difference between race day and hpde day. Note that he's not passing me at that moment, and he would keep that distance behind everyone he wanted to pass. I had to tell the race organizers about the guy's behavior for them to act, not interested in running with Just Track It again.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I've decided I want to track my new Civic Si - however being a new car I'll need some trackday insurance - who is the best to go for ? Hagarty ok?

Going to swap in some nicer brake pads as well, should I go for Hawk, carbotech or something else?

I would track my miata but it just needs a lot before it's ready, rollbar, and the bushing/shock kit I need to get around to installing....

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Voltage posted:

So I've decided I want to track my new Civic Si - however being a new car I'll need some trackday insurance - who is the best to go for ? Hagarty ok?

Going to swap in some nicer brake pads as well, should I go for Hawk, carbotech or something else?

I would track my miata but it just needs a lot before it's ready, rollbar, and the bushing/shock kit I need to get around to installing....

Lockton. https://locktonmotorsports.com/

If this is your first, or close to your first, trackday experience, I would go for a street-formulated compound like Hawk HPS 5.0. A new or new-ish track driver is probably not going to be overheating performance-oriented semi-street pads on their first few outings, and track-only pads are going to eat your rotors like you might not believe until yo usee it.

...why not track the Miata? Rollbars aren't that expensive. Unless your current bushings are so shot they're just dust, you'll be fine on the stock bushings and shocks.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Dave Inc. posted:

Hey good news! The photographer from Barber caught a shot of the miata that didn't know the difference between race day and hpde day. Note that he's not passing me at that moment, and he would keep that distance behind everyone he wanted to pass. I had to tell the race organizers about the guy's behavior for them to act, not interested in running with Just Track It again.

You give him a point by after this?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, I won the UMS TA-B class both days this past weekend, including unclassed cars that will become classed later this month. The class is calculated by weight with driver / hp with a 100tw limit, I weighed in at 2850 and made 200whp so 14.25. 10.0 - 14.99 is the limit for TA-B. It seems super casual and small, so it isn't a big deal but it is a toe in the water towards moving up and getting over some of the nerves of making sure I can string something together with a limit of two laps.

I asked about moving to TT eventually and they tried to push me right into it both days, but I'm holding off for a variety of reasons that are mostly about trying to keep costs somewhat under control.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

The Prong Song posted:

...why not track the Miata? Rollbars aren't that expensive. Unless your current bushings are so shot they're just dust, you'll be fine on the stock bushings and shocks.

I'm newish to trackdays, done a few outdoor faster karts, and did one on my motorcycle. I feel like a big rollbar in the miata may make it worse on the street and I don't know If I will get one to work with my glass back top. Also will cut in to the space behind the seats and it's kind of my daily in the summer. I'll look in to lockton. Hagarty wants $200 a day which is not terrible I guess but for a few hundred more I could just slap a rollbar in the miata...

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Voltage posted:

I'm newish to trackdays, done a few outdoor faster karts, and did one on my motorcycle. I feel like a big rollbar in the miata may make it worse on the street and I don't know If I will get one to work with my glass back top. Also will cut in to the space behind the seats and it's kind of my daily in the summer. I'll look in to lockton. Hagarty wants $200 a day which is not terrible I guess but for a few hundred more I could just slap a rollbar in the miata...

In a decade of buying track insurance, it's been between $120 to $240 for an event for everything from a Miata to a Porsche. If $200 for a two-day event doesn't make financial sense for you, you should definitely look into getting a throwaway car ready for the track. Also: Don't forget that pretty much every track in the world is gonna have you pay for damages to track equipment and recovery costs. Some car clubs may require you to pay for track dead time.

In terms of the Miata -
http://www.bethania-garage.com/m2hardcore_hardtop.htm
$640 shipped for the double-diag. I did the install by myself in a Saturday with a metal cutting blade on my jig saw and an electric drill; plus some various sockets for my ratchet. It allows for full seat travel and only restricts rear vision with the top up by a small amount. You'll definitely lose space on the rear parcel shelf area, but so?

The cost of running the Miata is going to be super-cheap compared to pretty much any 0-3 year old car; there are benefits.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 16, 2019

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Run the Miata, you'd be shocked at how quick the costs add up for track pads, insurance, brake fluid, and the inevitable cooling mods will be on a modern i4 turbo car. It will add up to more than the roll bar and you'll probably learn more and have more fun in the miata.

My fiesta is of similar prep to your civic and now that I've run 10 or so track days, I'm looking at some serious work to make it more reliable, reduce underhood, oil and coolant temps. At some point the mod list adds up to more than one decent Miata w a roll bar. Especially with how lightly miatas consume tires and brakes.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Yeah I've already done a shitload of work to the miata - entire braking system, clutch, oil seals, new interior carpet, heatercore, super huge radiator, full exhaust/intake/headers etc. so a rollbar should be easy - I just don't want to "ruin it" for the street since me and my wife always take it out for weekend trips in the summer.

I have a set of kyb adjustable shocks and the full master set of energy suspension bushings in my garage too, so once I slap all that in it should be solid. I just don't want to make it annoying to drive normally.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Voltage posted:

Yeah I've already done a shitload of work to the miata - entire braking system, clutch, oil seals, new interior carpet, heatercore, super huge radiator, full exhaust/intake/headers etc. so a rollbar should be easy - I just don't want to "ruin it" for the street since me and my wife always take it out for weekend trips in the summer.

I have a set of kyb adjustable shocks and the full master set of energy suspension bushings in my garage too, so once I slap all that in it should be solid. I just don't want to make it annoying to drive normally.

you'll be fine in the civic for a few events, do a few and see if you go crazy and fall in love with it. if you do, get a SECOND miata...

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

OhsH posted:

You give him a point by after this?

Of course, I didn't want him behind me. He immediately ran up behind the guy in front of me and did the same. It was only through a chicane at Barber, he came up on me through it and I pointed him by at the exit.

The organizers told me later that he said he was trying to keep momentum and was "anticipating the point by".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

Of course, I didn't want him behind me. He immediately ran up behind the guy in front of me and did the same. It was only through a chicane at Barber, he came up on me through it and I pointed him by at the exit.

The organizers told me later that he said he was trying to keep momentum and was "anticipating the point by".

That still seems insanely risky on his part.

Also I will forever be jealous of that gorgeous 911.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He is in the wrong group if he is running up on people like that in a point-by environment with a spec miata

e: So what I'm saying is you have an organization that doesn't police groups properly and someone that needs to stay in the correct group or realize that they need to back off a bit and be patient when they go to test in a slower group

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 17, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dave Inc. posted:

Man, that seems lovely that the organizers didn't say that they dressed him down. In HPDE, why would anyone anticipate the best possible outcome on track?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

IOwnCalculus posted:

That still seems insanely risky on his part.

Also I will forever be jealous of that gorgeous 911.

It is, I don't know why anyone would push it like that. And thanks but you haven't seen it up close hahaha

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
edit I posted this a while ago

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 18, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This past weekend at NASA Chuckwalla went alright. On Saturday the track felt like ice skating between it raining the week prior and being on stupid heatcycled out NT01s, managed a 2:04 clockwise, figure a 2:01-ish with decent tires and track conditions.

Swapped to my 17x10s with two day old 255 NT01s for Sunday. Second session counterclockwise the loving oil cap managed to break into two pieces and cover the engine bay with oil. I ended up stuffing an umbrella end cap into the oil hole with some aluminum foil as a gasket as it only needed to last two flying laps later in the day for the UMS Time Attack session.

UMS TA went well, I managed a 2:01 and a 2:02, which was good enough to win the TA-B class by three seconds and, I believe, 2nd overall. I made a number of mistakes and did some dumb braking into a few corners I know I can take with a lift or neutral throttle. My carrot on a stick was a ZL1 1LE Camaro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX8Q8FOXyBQ

TT4 was won by a 2800lb E36 M3 making a NASA 254whp average on Hoosiers with a 1:59, so unfortunately it doesn't seem worth it for me to make the jump since there is no longer Maxxis contingency and I'm not out to play the money (hoosier contingency) game.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 18, 2019

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Do you consistently get 5 entries? A fresh set of R7s will easily bring you down to 1:59 vs some heat cycled out NT-01s.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Not locally, seems like TT4 only gets contingency numbers when we do a crossover with the Cali region (like this event was). Car could fit into TT5 if I gave up the splitter / added ballast / bought an OEM hardtop, and it seems like we make contingency numbers pretty much every event.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 19, 2019

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Should only need an OEM shape hard top for TT5. Aftermarket is fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll run the car next event without a splitter and see how it works out. The reward for aero isn't nearly as large for local tracks as it is Chuckwalla.
I think an OEM shaped hardtop is only about a grand.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dave Inc. posted:

"momentum car brah"

These people are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
You mean "good drivers?"