Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Is a Hp Chromebook 13 g1 with a Intel Core m5-6Y57 a good deal at $250?

Where are you seeing that price? I'd love to grab one for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Looking for a Chromebook with USB-C charging + supports Crostini ("Linux"), under $300

Does not look like the 302 has Crostini support

This is the list: https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/wiki/getstarted/crostini-enabled-devices

I was leaning towards the Samsung 3 ($169 refurbished on amazon) but does not have the USB-C charging

Just looking at the list of supported and definitely unsupported devices, I'd wager the C302 will eventually be supported. There are older, lesser devices that already have Crostini support and there's nothing technically preventing the C302 from being supported, so just give it time. Maybe hold off on making a purchase until it's confirmed, but that's my strong suspicion.

Zack Ater posted:

Where are you seeing that price? I'd love to grab one for that.

That's pretty cheap even for recent prices on Woot refurbs, so I'm assuming he found something on eBay or maybe CL.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have an annoying issue with my Pixelbook that would likely be shared by all intel based chromebooks that use 600 series graphics.

It's also happening with my Surface Pro.

Both think my Dell P2715Q is a 6 bit display and I get all the wonderful dithering that comes with it.

My XPS 15 with an older 500 series graphics detects it just fine and I get 8bit output.

It was a recognized bug this summer.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490XkfSAE/intel-integrated-graphics-outputs-only-6bit-color-depth?language=en_US

Intel has made a fix for it, but of course it's not as simple as installing newest intel drivers for either the surface or my Pixelbook. I have no idea if Google is eventually going to include the fix in ChromeOS. One downside of not being able to screw around with drivers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Just looking at the list of supported and definitely unsupported devices, I'd wager the C302 will eventually be supported. There are older, lesser devices that already have Crostini support and there's nothing technically preventing the C302 from being supported, so just give it time. Maybe hold off on making a purchase until it's confirmed, but that's my strong suspicion.

That's pretty cheap even for recent prices on Woot refurbs, so I'm assuming he found something on eBay or maybe CL.

From what I've read the Linux kernel on a Chromebook never gets updated, and the 302 does not have one of the newer, supported kernels. 302 will almost certainly never have it unless something big happens.

Looking to buy in the next month, looking for something supported now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with how usable Word Online or Word for Android are on chromebooks? We're looking at getting mum a low-cost computer for web browsing and writing while she's outside and she's pretty locked into Word.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think you have to subscribe to Office 365 to use word for android. I was able to just use my school email to get it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've used MSOffice Online for the past few years (yay linux) and found no issues other than Excel macros, OneNote being poo poo (its gotten a lot better) and having account fatigue. I swear I have like 6 MSOffice accounts I have to switch between and its annoying.

But for writing, word online should be pretty good.

Haven't really used the Office for Android, but I bet it might solve the pesky "must be on internet" problem for using Office Online.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I think you have to subscribe to Office 365 to use word for android. I was able to just use my school email to get it.

Oh, yeah, we have that.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I've recommended Office.com to ChromeOS users, and while I use Google Docs myself, I've tried Office and it seems to function comparably. You can certainly try it out right now by navigating to office.com in Chrome, no need to ask us about how something works when you can use it for free yourself.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hadlock posted:

Does not look like the [Asus C]302 has Crostini support

It does not (at least not yet), and the Chromebook community treats it like an open wound into which cigarette ash falls every passing day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It does really suck. If it had crostini support, it would be perfect.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Acer CB 14 is on sale new on Amazon with a sleeve for $240 for the rest of the day. That listing also has a link to refurbs of the same thing, a little cheaper, at both SSD capacities. Still a nice, cheap CB.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
HI thread.

I just picked up the HP Chromebook x2 2-in-1 (X2 12-F014DX) for $330 open box - excellent condition - certified, original retail price was $599, purchased from the blue devil yesterday. Had a slickdeals alert setup for Chromebooks and this one paid off, found one meeting my criteria 16 miles from my house.

https://chromeunboxed.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/HPChromebookX2productSheet.pdf

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Chromebook-x2-12-f015nr.312072.0.html (similar, just different model for non bby units I think)

Overall impressions:

The only gripe I have is that since the battery and all important hardware is in the tablet portion, it does feel a tiny bit top heavy / wobbly when it's in my lap or on the bed or anywhere but on a first table / surface.

That's it for the negatives. I guess 32gb is sub-optimal for local storage but I'm a heavy Google Drive and other cloud storage user, and I accept that the whole point of this device is to be a beautiful thin terminal and not a computer in the traditional sense.

The hardware is really, really nice, HP killed it with the design IMO. I love the white and chrome tablet backing, I appreciate the heft of the keyboard making typing nicer than you'd think. There's a texture to the palm rest which feels a tiny bit like leather or some textured fabric, the B and O speakers are more than adequate given the limitations at hand.

2400 x 1600 IPS screen, good color gamut, good battery life, detachable keyboard is really very good for its size and limitations of the form factor. It doesn't get eye-bleed bright but I work indoors exclusively so not a big deal, I keep brightness at 70% anyway for battery savings.

I haven't stressed it performance wise yet, but the core m3 processor is rated to hang with the iPad pro so I imagine it's going to be fine for the majority of what I do - remote desktop to a VDI, remote desktop to bare metal servers, normal internet and entertainment uses.

I like that the USB C (3 gen 1) ports are displayport-able. I have an Asus Zenscreen which I use as a second screen for productivity purposes and it's stellar. Battery life takes a hit driving a big 15 inch 1080 screen though, which is not the x2's fault or problem.

It functions very well as a tablet, though it's over a pound, I found it easy to use for long periods, and the included stylus is very responsive and feels natural to use.

I've read, but i'm not sure, that on this model, some Android apps can access the SD card memory, but I haven't tested that yet.

I'm stoked to be back in the chromebooklyfe. I forgot how pleasant and simple it is compared to the overpowered, underbatteried experience of my i7 laptop.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 19, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

The only gripe I have is that since the battery and all important hardware is in the tablet portion, it does feel a tiny bit top heavy / wobbly when it's in my lap or on the bed or anywhere but on a first table / surface.

I've read, but i'm not sure, that on this model, some Android apps can access the SD card memory, but I haven't tested that yet.

I'm stoked to be back in the chromebooklyfe. I forgot how pleasant and simple it is compared to the overpowered, underbatteried experience of my i7 laptop.

Hey, I'm glad that you're enjoying that sweet new CB! The top-heavy thing is universal to detachables because of the reasons you mentioned (unless they add an additional battery and other stuff to the base, which then makes the whole package heavier and less portable.) I haven't heard that Android apps are now able to access external storage, but that was at least in the works.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The MSWord android app is able to access my SD card and storage

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Atomizer posted:

I haven't heard that Android apps are now able to access external storage, but that was at least in the works.

This is a part of the new Chrome OS 72 update. It's pretty nice. It means you don't need to install say the Google Drive app just to get other apps to see your Drive data.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ah, that's good to know. I've mentioned not too recently how, although I use ChromeOS for almost everything, I don't actually do much with Android apps* (because I use them on native Android devices) and anything with Linux apps (because there's nothing I need) so it's nice to get some confirmation that these things are working for you guys.

*For example, I use Plex, but I just stream to devices (including via the Web interface on my CB) instead of converting for local sync, and if I needed to do the latter I'd use a tablet or something.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Most Chromebooks would suck at recording lectures yes?

Law school lecture recording/office suite stuff is use case. Mainly typing papers.

The reality is I suspect all/most devices with this form factor suck for recording so it might be an irrelevant variable

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 24, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I rarely use a mic in general, and not for anything other than voice chat while gaming, with either a decent desk-standing mic or one on a headset at worst, and never with any laptop's built-in mic, plus I never even hear my own input anyway. I would say that any laptop's built-in mic is mediocre at best, and likely focusing on what's facing the screen, not the other direction. You might be able to plug in an external mic, but at that point a dedicated handheld digital audio recorder is probably the best option. They're tens of $ new on Amazon, cheaper I'm sure on eBay used. You could transfer the files to your CB afterward.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomizer posted:

dedicated handheld digital audio recorder is probably the best option.

I agree. You may also find your school provides recorded lectures for dyslexic students.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

When I sign out of my Pixelbook or turn it off -- usually because something isn't working quite right -- it takes ages to get back to the sign in screen. This time it was at least 10 minutes from signout to sign-in, which is really annoying. I press keyboard keys and the power button with no apparent effect, though the backlit keyboard is still on.

Any obvious fix or should I just send it back to Google? I don't really want to powerwash because I'll lose my Linux apps -- is there a way to backup the Linux filesystem while I'm at it?

e: I can't replicate this problem consistently so I guess it won't be easily fixable. As it doesn't happen most of the time and I don't need to sign out much, I can live with it for now.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 26, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone find this better together thing takes ages longer to unlock than just normal Bluetooth did? With Bluetooth unlocking, I'd open my Chromebook, unlock my phone and the icon was already green. With better together, it takes 5-10 seconds before it finds my phone.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

When I sign out of my Pixelbook or turn it off -- usually because something isn't working quite right -- it takes ages to get back to the sign in screen. This time it was at least 10 minutes from signout to sign-in, which is really annoying. I press keyboard keys and the power button with no apparent effect, though the backlit keyboard is still on.

Any obvious fix or should I just send it back to Google? I don't really want to powerwash because I'll lose my Linux apps -- is there a way to backup the Linux filesystem while I'm at it?

e: I can't replicate this problem consistently so I guess it won't be easily fixable. As it doesn't happen most of the time and I don't need to sign out much, I can live with it for now.

This doesn't sound like anything I've ever experienced on any of the CBs I've used. The only time it should take longer to power up or reboot than normal would be after a significant update. The first thing I can recommend is a hardware reset, which normally helps when things like the touchscreen act up but is worth a shot anyway. I'm assuming this only started happening recently (but you didn't explicitly state this either way) so my next thought is that this is something introduced in a recent update so you should submit a bug report so they can address it.

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone find this better together thing takes ages longer to unlock than just normal Bluetooth did? With Bluetooth unlocking, I'd open my Chromebook, unlock my phone and the icon was already green. With better together, it takes 5-10 seconds before it finds my phone.

Sorry, I actually use neither to unlock my CB. :shrug:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Would HP Chromebook - 14-ca030nr be OK for a sub-$300 that does web browsing and maybe a bit of linux stuff? Nothing real complicated.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

Would HP Chromebook - 14-ca030nr be OK for a sub-$300 that does web browsing and maybe a bit of linux stuff? Nothing real complicated.

I'm gonna pimp the Acer Chromebook 14 yet again because it has a 1080p IPS screen and this thing is 720p and almost certainly TN

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Am I going crazy or have they switched the 'Save' and 'Cancel' buttons in the Save As prompt?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

8 Ball posted:

Am I going crazy or have they switched the 'Save' and 'Cancel' buttons in the Save As prompt?

I think you might be correct but I never paid enough attention to it in the first place for it to make a meaningful difference to me. :shrug:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Current rumor states that Google is apparently downsizing the part of their hardware division that handled the Pixelbook and Pixel Slate.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/...o-other-groups/

It's Business Insider so who knows, but if it's true it doesn't seem to bode well for the Pixelbook/Slate. The response to both was pretty lukewarm (and in the case of the Slate, it's been pretty negative) but the Pixelbook's gotten better reviews with time.

Both prices were apparently far too high for what people expected out of Chrome OS.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah the top PB is now ~$1.1k on Amazon, which feels more reasonable. I still don't need one, but it's more tempting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixelbook still remains my most favorite electronics purchase in a long long time. I use it daily and it just works and it still feels like it just came out of the box.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think more than a thousand dollars was always going to be a tough sell for a device that relies on phone apps and linux in order to compete with cheap windows machines. I love my chromebook but it sucks to have to deal with the android version of MS Word, because it's slow and built for a phone. Google Docs is ok, but I like Word.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's the thing though, as a home machine I have zero use for things like Word or really any apps beyond what I use on my phone.

I just wanted something that was built solidly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've switched exclusively to Drive. It's just too handy to log into any machine anywhere and have access to my files.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I've switched exclusively to Drive. It's just too handy to log into any machine anywhere and have access to my files.

Same. You do sacrifice the data hoarding by Google and potentially having a single point of failure, but other than that the convenience factor is real. ChromeOS does everything I need aside from the occasional gaming or running servers (PMS, GCP, Steam cache, etc.) the latter are things that I don't even interact with on a daily basis.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
data hoarding by ms or google pick ur poison

love my pixelbook tho

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today's email from Brad's Deals mentions a 14" Lenovo Chromebook for $179 with free shipping from Wal-Mart, 32GB of storage and 4GB of RAM, but I'm wondering about the MediaTek quad-core CPU. Any good? Any idea of what experience one could expect?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-8...Black/206750547

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cojawfee posted:

I think more than a thousand dollars was always going to be a tough sell for a device that relies on phone apps and linux in order to compete with cheap windows machines. I love my chromebook but it sucks to have to deal with the android version of MS Word, because it's slow and built for a phone. Google Docs is ok, but I like Word.

Word works in the browser pretty well.

I got the CB for $700 new from BB, and I used Ebates and some other CB option to get another $100 cashback. At $600 it was a steal.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Today's email from Brad's Deals mentions a 14" Lenovo Chromebook for $179 with free shipping from Wal-Mart, 32GB of storage and 4GB of RAM, but I'm wondering about the MediaTek quad-core CPU. Any good? Any idea of what experience one could expect?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-8...Black/206750547

That's the same CPU in the Acer R13 and I think the Asus C101 (the updated 10" Flip.) It's a 2+4 hexa-core and works surprisingly well, roughly between the low-end Atom-based Intel CPUs and the Core-based ones (e.g. nXXXX vs. XXXXu.) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a CB with that CPU at that price; the only issue might be if you wanted to run a Linux app that didn't have an ARM package (e.g. Steam?)

My only concern with this model is that it appears to only have the HD display, which is pretty low-res at 14", plus this isn't apparently a great price for this line anyway; this model carries an MSRP of $190 and the FHD version with double the storage is only $200. They may be phasing out this model or something, but if that $200 comes back in stock or you can find it on eBay or elsewhere then that's the one to buy.

Ultimately at <$200 this isn't a bad purchase, especially for a kid or as a secondary/guest computer, but there's definitely a better version I'd step up to for very little additional money. Compared to something similar like the Acer 14, the Lenovo will perform better but the Acer has a better display (especially against the HD one in the base Lenovo we're looking at here.)

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
If the Pixelbook is the last of it's kind, I'll just count myself lucky I got it when it existed. I'm probably a bit of a niche case, but a rock-solid Linux kernel with a good browser built on top of it, along with a flexible sandbox in which you can install any Linux software you want, is basically my ideal "get work done" machine. I got tired of all of the compromises MacOSX forced me into when editing and testing server-side code. Android tablet apps and the pen are just the icing on the cake (but still very useful).

I guess a lot of Chromebooks will step up to fill that role in the coming years, but not many are likely to have the finish of the Pixelbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah I stopped trying to compile a list of specifically recommended CB models because nowadays there are so many that I can't keep track of them all. They're generally all going to be good choices (other than the very low-end with weak CPUs and insufficient RAM) so the buying decisions are boiled down to, "how much do you want to spend" and "what do you want in the way of size, display, and individual features like touchscreen and keyboard backlighting?"