Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The first 6 tracks are perfect, and the album only gets bogged down in the middle with We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming. It’s still a fantastic album overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hedrigall posted:

The first 6 tracks are perfect, and the album only gets bogged down in the middle with We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming. It’s still a fantastic album overall.
I used to dislike those tracks when I first heard the album back in '03 but I've come around on them big time with age. You can basically see large sections of The King of Limbs, The Eraser and Tomorrow's Modern Boxes all being conceived from The Gloaming.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Plus The Gloaming live loving kills

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

HD DAD posted:

Plus The Gloaming live loving kills

ive been gloamed twice live. it's been kind of a drag both times.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

2+2=5 into Sit Down Stand Up is seriously one of the best combinations of opening tracks I've ever heard on any album ever

And speaking of, how about favorite track combinations overall?

My vote: "Optimistic" -> "In Limbo" -> "Idioteque"

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
“I Can’t”-> “Lurgee” ->“Blow Out”

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

“I Can’t”-> “Lurgee” ->“Blow Out”

You are probably being ironic, but I legit have a soft spot for those three songs. PH bangs if you’re in the right mood

That being said...

YAWA > I might be wrong > knives out

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HD DAD posted:

You are probably being ironic, but I legit have a soft spot for those three songs. PH bangs if you’re in the right mood

I’m not at all. Lurgee is one of my favorite Radiohead songs. If I was being ironic I’d try to get faithless the wonderboy or killer cars in there.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 17, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Faust arp -> Reckoner -> House of Cards

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

gotta be "Climbing Up The Walls" -> "No Surprises" -> "Lucky" for me

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've never been the biggest fan of The Bends as a whole, but Planet Telex -> The Bends -> High and Dry -> Fake Plastic Trees is a remarkably good sequence of tracks. Yes, even High and Dry, which may be a useless pop song that's about nothing at all, but it's a good useless pop song that's about nothing at all.

As for HTTT, I've always felt Sit Down, Stand Up sounded like it belonged somewhere later in the album (maybe after Backdrifts?), but I dunno what would work better as a second track except maybe Go to Sleep. 2 + 2 = 5 was absolutely the perfect track to begin the album with, though, and that's the main reason I was never able to get behind Thom Yorke's proposed alternative track list.

In Rainbows is the only Radiohead album where they got the sequence of tracks so perfect that I don't think I've even entertained the idea of an alternative tracklisting. (I guess technically Kid A too, if combining it with Amnesiac doesn't count.)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Packt > Pyramid > Pulk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

As for HTTT, I've always felt Sit Down, Stand Up sounded like it belonged somewhere later in the album

This is not allowed.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can we not

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
exit music - let down - karma police

that's a banger section

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

90s Shoes posted:

exit music - let down - karma police

:hellyeah:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Not much to talk about here is there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BigFactory posted:

This is the Radiothread, son, we don't talk about poo poo we just bag on others and rank albums.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is the Radiothread, son, we don't talk about poo poo we just bag on others and rank albums.

Can a make a list of bands someone might like if they like certain Radiohead albums?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m a massive Talking Heads fan and that’s probably why I have a big predisposition to loving TKOL.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

BigFactory posted:

Can a make a list of bands someone might like if they like certain Radiohead albums?

A lot of TKOL sounds so much like Can to me, especially Future Days-era Can.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

publishko posted:

A lot of TKOL sounds so much like Can to me, especially Future Days-era Can.

Absolutely.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Radiohead are dead.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Astrochicken posted:

Radiohead are dead.

I mean, yeah, tell us something we didn't know

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sand Monster posted:

I agree but also think that Kid A is one of those albums with perfect flow the whole way through.

Also the 2+2 = 5 to Sit Down Stand Up transition is really good, the whiplash between ferocity and creepy insistence is very effective.

Also HTTT's queasy, off kilter, twisted fairy tale atmosphere is brilliant, and the fact it was thrown together so quickly is a real boon. It being a bit of a baggy monster actually helps it, imo, even if some of the songs aren't the best (although I think The Gloaming is really good, it goes round my head a lot these days).

The HTTT era also produced The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time, which I adore. I love that they were trying to bring back the whole early MTV independent, viewer submitted art thing, even if it never quite got off the ground. Well worth a watch if you've not seen it.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 18, 2019

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

Be the change you wish to see in the world

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Before Radiohead splits, I want them to come out of nowhere and end their career with a PH-esque album of shameless, sometimes questionable, guitar pop.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdmL835q9To

This version of Bloom is pretty nice.

That song was hella underrated when TKOL released. I know people prefer the live version but the studio version probably breaks my top 10 of their tracks.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

HD DAD posted:

Before Radiohead splits, I want them to come out of nowhere and end their career with a PH-esque album of shameless, sometimes questionable, guitar pop.

I feel like it should be obvious but I'm trying to figure out who/what PH is in this context and I got nothing. Peter Hook?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Barry posted:

I feel like it should be obvious but I'm trying to figure out who/what PH is in this context and I got nothing. Peter Hook?

Which Radiohead album had the most guitar pop, and what are its initials?

But speaking of Peter Hook, my favorite of Radiohead's cover performances: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cedNya7e8Uc.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Welp, there we go.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sand Monster posted:

Which Radiohead album had the most guitar pop, and what are its initials?

In Rainbows, and IR. So I'm confused too.

:colbert:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really would not mind Hooky just going to town over some Radiohead.

Or Radiohead doing a really bizarre cover of Fine Time.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
What’s the most underrated Radiohead song because I definitely feel like it’s A Punch-Up At a Wedding

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I Might Be Wrong

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Last Flowers or Separator.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone can play guitar. Or Palo Alto.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bangers + Mash is brilliant

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Kinetic or Worrywort for me. Pretty much any of the weird noodly electronic b sides from that period, tbh. Like Fast Track as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Pulk