Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At winter park today and I've decided that I'm just old and lazy and all I want to do while skiing is cruise blues/blue blacks and maybe a few groomed blacks. I have no real interest in moguls or extensive tree skiing (although ducking in/out at the edge of a trail is fun).

Also I wish I lived out here because I would absolutely try to do recreational racing stuff. That's the type of skiing I really enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh poo poo, that sucks :(

Thanks guys, such is life.

spwrozek posted:

Where were you at? Do you have the serial numbers of the skis? Did you file a police report? Start scanning Craigslist.

Major bummer...

I'm a putz and didn't take the down the skis serial's. Lesson learned. I'm up in Wyoming so my local is Snowy Range. I've been trading emails with the front desk. Nothing's shown up yet. If they're not turned in this weekend I"ll file the police report.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

That loving sucks.

If you want a pair of Head Peak 72s you can have them for the cost of shipping. They’re nothing special, basically rental style skis, but they’re better than nothing.

fknlo posted:

gently caress man, people are poo poo. If you're in Colorado and know how to snowboard I can loan you one of mine or something.

Dudes/ettes! Double thank you! Thank you so much! I'm going to hold off and wait a weekend or two to see if they show / I track them down on Craigslist. If that don't work I'll hit you up for sure.

il serpente cosmico posted:

gently caress, I'm sorry that happened. If you have renter's insurance it might be worth looking into whether they're covered. I know mine covers stolen bikes, at least.

No insurance, see the above comment about serial numbers. :smith: Small town living has def wittled my paranoia down to insufficient levels.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

TMMadman posted:

At winter park today

quote:

I have no real interest in moguls

I’m not sure how to tell you this…

e: Kidding aside, I think they still do the Nastar timed stuff if you’re into that sort of thing. You might ask around.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 16, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

bringer posted:

Nah, this friend actually has a cabin back on Brennan so we took a sled up to it and then toured from there. Definitely feeling the need for a sled after that though, I've already started browsing the classifieds.

Shame you won't be up this winter, let me know when you're up next year and I'll buy you a beer. :)

We followed the left ridge up, had good protection most of the way. Could hear a few avys kicking off - freezing layer was over 2000m - but didn't see any.

Looking back into the bowl.

From near our lunch break. Last picture I took before the sun hid.

Man I wish our snowpack wasn’t so hosed. We’re in an avalanche warning and tomorrow is another storm day so it’ll probably just get worse. Today has been an amazing in-bounds hiking day though. Exhausted and satisfied.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

TMMadman posted:

At winter park today and I've decided that I'm just old and lazy and all I want to do while skiing is cruise blues/blue blacks and maybe a few groomed blacks. I have no real interest in moguls or extensive tree skiing (although ducking in/out at the edge of a trail is fun).

Also I wish I lived out here because I would absolutely try to do recreational racing stuff. That's the type of skiing I really enjoy.

Welcome to the family. The good news is that's still super fun and you can do it until your 80s.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tokenbrownguy posted:

Dudes/ettes! Double thank you! Thank you so much! I'm going to hold off and wait a weekend or two to see if they show / I track them down on Craigslist. If that don't work I'll hit you up for sure.

Please do if it comes to it, they’re just extra stuff I’m moving around at this point.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
My 40 plus year old rear end went snowboarding for the first time in five years and I forgot how much fun it is. :v:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Moral_Hazard posted:

My 40 plus year old rear end went snowboarding for the first time in five years and I forgot how much fun it is. :v:

Simmer down young un'.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Last year I was in Park City where half the mountain was closed because of too little snow. Now, I'm in squaw where tomorrow the mountain may be closed because of...too much snow!?

gently caress it I'm done trying to ski outside of Colorado.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My understanding is squaw is pretty notorious to be slow at opening terrain and really 'saving' it for the weekend. Avalanche control and such is real though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

Last year I was in Park City where half the mountain was closed because of too little snow. Now, I'm in squaw where tomorrow the mountain may be closed because of...too much snow!?

gently caress it I'm done trying to ski outside of Colorado.

Its also like 100 mph winds over the crests, the sierras get super windy during storms

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

My understanding is squaw is pretty notorious to be slow at opening terrain and really 'saving' it for the weekend. Avalanche control and such is real though.

The Glumslinger posted:

Its also like 100 mph winds over the crests, the sierras get super windy during storms

Listen guys I can take the avalanche and uh...100mph winds: I just wanna hit some of that gnar pow ok?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Looks like the day to be at Baldy is tomorrow. Rain in the forecast Thursday.

I’m about to leave Jackson and it just started dumping here, after being sunny the past four days.
hahaha look at this idiot!

Turns out the day to be at Baldy was Tuesday. Last night/early this morning brought some rain all the way up, even though as late as last night the forecast said snow levels would stay below 7000ft till today.

I arrived in the parking lot at 8:30, rode up to the notch, and was informed that Thunder had derailed earlier and wouldn’t be open till about noon. So we decided to hike Thunder via the cat road/groomer and check it out. My friends had hopes of Telegraph (sidecountry) but the weather killed that idea quick. It was drippy and foggy all morning, and there was a thin rime/crust on top of the soft (wet) snow. We skied back down to the notch through the extremely-Baldy breakable crust and I called it a day.

It’s a real shame this system ended warm because if it had just been another foot of snow instead, the whole mountain would be open and set up for a solid several weeks of skiing at least. Now it’s back to barely-covered survival mode and praying for another storm system ASAP. If the marketing hype brings out crowds this weekend, the snow will be decimated.

C’est la Baldy

edit: in vintage Baldy fashion, I did see an older gentlemen in straight up old leather work boots clamped into modern (40 years old) bindings on the hill today

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 17, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Silverton got 14” in the parking lot today, with a couple feet expected over the next 48 hours. I’m going heli skiing Sunday, gently caress yeah.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

Silverton got 14” in the parking lot today, with a couple feet expected over the next 48 hours. I’m going heli skiing Sunday, gently caress yeah.

Hell yeah man

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Silverton sounds like a dope as hell setup, I really need to get out there and try it sometime.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’m about to start a new job where I’m working remotely and if it wasn’t for bride unit’s job I would absolutely be spending my winter there helping them stabilize their snowpack one line at a time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

Go to Copper if you're on the Ikon, it's what you're looking for. I love it there because it's mostly just long, chill rear end runs. It was pretty good with some fresh snow today. Way better than yesterday for sure.

I've been working on improving my form and saw this page linked on reddit a while back. I was absolutely doing the counter rotation thing they bring up and was getting really bad chatter on my heel edge too. I've been following their advice and I definitely feel like I'm making some pretty good improvements.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

LostCosmonaut posted:

c'mon gfs verify just this once
Already have a hotel reserved for the weekend at my home mountain even though I'm relatively local so I don't have to fight bad roads or MLK traffic. Here's hoping.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Waffling on whether a MLK Day day-trip to squaw would be insane or not...

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ante posted:

Hockey jerseys

:colbert: it was spring skiing!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Fifty Three posted:

I skied for the first time this season.

My tendons are tired.

Two and a half weeks 'til Lake Louise! Renting Brahma's, super excited to try a good ski for the first time ever. Please baby Jesus let there be fresh snow.

One of my ski buddies demoed those last year, fell in love, and bought them. After our runs last week he's really happy with his purchase

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

Welcome to the family. The good news is that's still super fun and you can do it until your 80s.

Oh absolutely. I had a loving blast today and I will never not have fun doing it. I just like the feeling of sliding along on the mountain, preferably fairly fast.

I mean I couldn't stop laughing after my friend and I basically just flat out bombed Bluebell/Edelweiss and after I had passed my friend (who was giving up by that point), I went over a little roll at the end of Edelweiss and my brain thought "You are going really fast, you should make a turn to slow down" and after starting a hard turn, my legs told my brain that turning may have been a mistake, but my brain insisted that I not only finish that turn, but also do like 3 other hard and fast turns in a row. I couldn't do anything but laugh at the end of the run because to me that is the fun part of skiing. Making those hard, fast turns and your thighs immediately start to burn and the whole time your wondering if starting those turns was a bad decision and then suddenly your through them and at the end of the run breathing hard with a giant loving smile on your face.

Basically I just pretend I'm on an invisible Giant Slalom course and have my own fun.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

One of my ski buddies demoed those last year, fell in love, and bought them. After our runs last week he's really happy with his purchase
Good to hear. I've basically only ever skied on entry-level rental skis so I have no idea what to expect but I'm stoked.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

$249 to have my youngest take an all-day lesson at Winter Park. :lol:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Making those hard, fast turns and your thighs immediately start to burn and the whole time your wondering if starting those turns was a bad decision and then suddenly your through them and at the end of the run breathing hard with a giant loving smile on your face.

Amen. And I'm out of shape enough that I usually get this feeling after just 1 run!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

I demoed Blizzard Brahmas in 2017 and then they had to be mine. I love them.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

My brother just started a six day ski trip today. First day out he's at Taos. Right as he got off lift 4 his group watched an inbounds avalanche carry at least two people. Ski patrol immediately deputized everyone to start probing but it sounds like the dogs were what found them. One person may have been wearing a beacon and the other wasn't, and it took about 45 minutes to extract both of them from under ~10 feet of debris. 45 minutes was too long. e: apparently those people are now being reported as alive

https://taosnews.com/stories/avalanche-buries-multiple-people-on-kachina-peak,54548

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 17, 2019

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

fknlo posted:

Go to Copper if you're on the Ikon, it's what you're looking for. I love it there because it's mostly just long, chill rear end runs. It was pretty good with some fresh snow today. Way better than yesterday for sure.

I've been working on improving my form and saw this page linked on reddit a while back. I was absolutely doing the counter rotation thing they bring up and was getting really bad chatter on my heel edge too. I've been following their advice and I definitely feel like I'm making some pretty good improvements.

I finally made it here today at 7 am and they forgot my boards in Atlanta 🤔. Rental had a new saloman assassin for demo tho so it worked out!
Stoked for tomorrow's dump

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Razzled posted:

I finally made it here today at 7 am and they forgot my boards in Atlanta 🤔. Rental had a new saloman assassin for demo tho so it worked out!
Stoked for tomorrow's dump

I ride the assassin. That board is loving sweet.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Spime Wrangler posted:

My brother just started a six day ski trip today. First day out he's at Taos. Right as he got off lift 4 his group watched an inbounds avalanche carry at least two people. Ski patrol immediately deputized everyone to start probing but it sounds like the dogs were what found them. One person may have been wearing a beacon and the other wasn't, and it took about 45 minutes to extract both of them from under ~10 feet of debris. 45 minutes was too long. e: apparently those people are now being reported as alive

https://taosnews.com/stories/avalanche-buries-multiple-people-on-kachina-peak,54548

wow

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Squaw was a mess today. Got in line for first chair, but it was 1030ish before it was actually clear enough for them to let us on. A few lifts were open, but then closed again at 2pm due to the wind. At least I got to shake some cobwebs off. Snow was heavy concrete too.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 18, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yikes. No one expects this to happen in-bounds at a resort.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So legit q: for all the costs of this poo poo, should I buy a beacon as soon as I'm skiing real mountains? Seems like reasonable insurance.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

So legit q: for all the costs of this poo poo, should I buy a beacon as soon as I'm skiing real mountains? Seems like reasonable insurance.

No

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

If you want to go out in the backcountry plan to buy a beacon after you've spent enough time borrowing one (and probe and shovel) and going with people who know whats up and taking an avalanche course. Preferably the last part first.

If you're skiing inbounds you don't need one unless you're going to a hill that requires beacon/probe/shovel for access to a particular part of their hill or if you plan on exiting through a gate for some slackcountry, at which point you should be following all backcountry precautions.

Inbounds avalanches like that are absolutely not the norm and in general you should trust the daily openings and closures to reflect an accurate assessment of safety. Don't cross ropes, don't go on closed runs, and don't sea-lawyer your way around closures. There's a picture from a couple years back in the cascades (IIRC) where a hill ripped out right up to the boundary rope. A major inbounds portion of Schweitzer ripped out below a closure last year, and word was that you could skirt the rope and traverse into the area and people had been doing so for weeks. I expect to see a full analysis of the Taos event come out soon that will go into why their avalanche control mechanisms didn't prevent this incident.

Also a very worthy read, CAIC came out with their report on the AIARE Level 2 class that had a death earlier this month: https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?accfm=inv&acc_id=685&view=public

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gvFYAidtoE

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Gonna get out on A/T skis for the first time on Saturday :stoked:

I pieced together a sweet setup at big time discount. The skins were the most expensive part, and they weren’t even sticker. A year’s worth of obsessive reading, scouring online deals and ski swaps paid off.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Gonna get out on A/T skis for the first time on Saturday :stoked:

I pieced together a sweet setup at big time discount. The skins were the most expensive part, and they weren’t even sticker. A year’s worth of obsessive reading, scouring online deals and ski swaps paid off.

What did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

And for how much?