Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

barbecue at the folks posted:

To continue with a bit of dinechat: I promised myself I would eat more healthy this year, which just means I have to up my canned fish intake. I had some cheapo Tesco dines in sunflower oil in my cupboard - big fishies and generally not that appetizing. Crushed those dines with some wasabi paste and dark soy, now I have a perfect cheap Japanesey breakfast spread! Can't understand why I didn't think of this before.

Waitrose has the best dine selection of the bigger supermarkets. The Parmentier ones are decent, and usually on some sort of 2 for 1 offer.

e: looking for these, I found their website and they've got this weird-rear end looking recipe:

http://conserverie-parmentier.fr/nos-recettes/aperitif/sables-au-parmesan-et-aux-sardines/

Sardine and parmesan....shortbread? :yum: I'll make some when I get a chance, just because

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

Zoe posted:

Anyone have experience with the Sol-Mex brand? I saw they were $1.68 yesterday, and for a giant 15 oz cams that's actually a little terrifying.

without knowing that brand in particular, I bet that it's made in China. were they?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Turtle Blogger posted:

without knowing that brand in particular, I bet that it's made in China. were they?

The Mex part should've been a clue.

It's really tempting to try the plain ones for a cheaper fake tuna salad and such but they genuinely frighten me.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I've seen cans that look exactly like that and are branded as being from a Spanish speaking place, but are actually from China if you look at the back, thats why I asked.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I was in Northern Virginia for Christmas and saw some LA SIRENA sardines 2 for 4 bucks. I usually try any unfamiliar brands, and they were on sale! Unfortunately they were not good and are relegated to Tuna Salad use. a solid DO NOT RECOMMEND. I don't have any pics, I'll get some when I open the other tin.

this is what they look like

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Bardeh posted:

http://conserverie-parmentier.fr/nos-recettes/aperitif/sables-au-parmesan-et-aux-sardines/

Sardine and parmesan....shortbread? :yum: I'll make some when I get a chance, just because

:holymoley: I'll have to try these some evening. My dear partner in matrimony has one shortcoming and that is her irrational dislike of the good 'dine. Perhaps these will convert her.

e: I went trawling for dine recipes in Le French Internet and oh my, sardine hors d'oeuvres certainly are a thing: https://cuisine.journaldesfemmes.fr/recette/1011858-bouchees-aux-sardines

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 5, 2019

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Got a stack of KO mackerel I need to start working through.

Realized too late I didn't have crackers, so uh

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Roscoe's got a challenger.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Skoora posted:

Here's a nice dine application: sizzle em up in a pan and put them on some cacio e pepe.
I would call it a recipe, but the whole thing is absurdly simple.

I did this and can confirm, and I would also call it a recipe. I don't really like cheese but it was good with some nutritional yeast and some broiled broccoli and bell peppers. Wait, that's not cacio e pepe anymore, whoops, don't give a dang.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsvxQ01Oy8k&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AgT9zqCmeM

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Is it normal in France to not have a fridge and just a hot plate/single burner? He mentions his "studio." Is it a studio apartment or his work studio that he just hangs at all the time?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is it normal in France to not have a fridge and just a hot plate/single burner? He mentions his "studio." Is it a studio apartment or his work studio that he just hangs at all the time?

Paris studio apartments are very small and often don't come with proper kitchens, if you can afford Central Paris, you can afford eating out on the reg. He's talking about his actual work studio, though.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Literally came in to post the french guy cooking sardine videos. The Sardine Korma is insane.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Was walking back from the weed store and I found a sardine ground score! :2bong:

my hand looks really weird in that photo lol

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Was trying to enjoy a pre breakfast snack of dines in mustard and saltines, and my 3 yr old daughter had to get it on it. I know she likes my kippers, but figured that mustardy dines would be safe, nope! She was even dipping the crackers in the mustard sauce.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Do you guys rinse the tins before disposal?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Nope. I give em to the dog/cat/goat/alpaca or whatever animal happens to be around then throw the tin away.

For about a week or so i could not find any of my normal dines (season brand in oil) anywhere. This week they were finally back in stock but are now about 50 cents more. Something fishy is going on...

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Recycle the tins. :colbert:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I rinse out the tins before they go into the recycle bin.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Android Apocalypse posted:

I rinse out the tins before they go into the recycle bin.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Read some mixed reviews online, but I’ve been pretty impressed with Brunswick.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Bombtrack posted:

Read some mixed reviews online, but I’ve been pretty impressed with Brunswick.

I find the Brunswicks in the normal sardine tin way too big and meaty. On the other hand, the brislings they do in the weird tin with the see-through lid are really good.

naem
May 29, 2011

the brunswick “fillets” are v nice cuts of larger fish, like 4 in a can. They have the skin on but not bones etc. The mustard ones are pretty great imo. I’m not as big a fan of their whole fish sardines but then teeny king oscar dines really spoils you for most other brands

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im partial to the portuguese and spanish brands for some reason

maybe they use more salt because the sardine is much more firm

edit: i just double checked im out of all kinds of canned fish gently caress

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 16, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

El_Elegante posted:

Do you guys rinse the tins before disposal?

My wife hates the smell so all waste goes into an air-tight ziplock back before going into the trash.

My county doesn't recycle, it's loving stupid and I hate it. When I do recycle, I rinse everything because all that old milk residue and what not stinks real bad.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If they wanted me to recycle food cans they'd pay more than .035 cents a pound. :colbert:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Recycle because it's the right thing to do, not because you get paid for it you lazy goon

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My buddy doesn't rinse stuff before he puts it in the recycle and I had the pleasure of listening to him complain about having to dispose of a possum that died in his bin because it couldn't get out, and I pointed out that these two things are probably related.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

cool i can turn my garbage into a opossum trap with the power of dines. thanks thread

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Aged possum is a delicacy....

For bald eagles near my house. They love couple day old road kill possum.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I let my cats lick the sauced cans clean. :v

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Anyone heard on KOs latest haiku contest, or are they still sorting through all our terrible poems?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Radio Nowhere posted:

Anyone heard on KOs latest haiku contest, or are they still sorting through all our terrible poems?

I posted a haiku but it was apparently not up to snuff :(

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im wearing my sardine socks today

edit: not my pic but same socks

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 18, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I won second place in the KO haiku contest! I'm sure there were a lot of second place prizes handed out, and they haven't responded to my DM yet. I wonder what I won. Coupons, probably.

Turtle Blogger
Mar 16, 2006

My Angel

I only posted one haiku last minute and I got a pity prize of 3rd place category. praise be to The King!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i am eating a sardine on toast. the perfect post-jo-sesh recovery snack

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

numberoneposter posted:

im wearing my sardine socks today

edit: not my pic but same socks

why do the blue dicks have eyes

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I submitted 6 or 7 haiku, all Christmas- or holiday-themed, and got a first place notification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 19, 2019