Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

The Citzal and Whispers aoe effects not working thing is a confirmed bug and will be fixed in 4.02 according to the obsidian forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

andrew smash posted:

Once you're past maybe the first act or whatever tyranny is super easy even on POTD.

That is a very sad truth.

My replay of Tyranny after all the patches had to be stopped. I hoped that the game would get PoE1 3.0 treatment and will become fun to play but... After the first act that was balanced and interesting here come another acts. By the time there are new mechanics like alchemy and artifacts I can murder everyone in my sleep on PotD. I stopped playing cause even though dialogue was good but everything else was soooo boring.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Psycho Landlord posted:

The Citzal and Whispers aoe effects not working thing is a confirmed bug and will be fixed in 4.02 according to the obsidian forums.

nice thanks for the update

it's a big deal for whispers since it has lower base damage to compensate for its aoe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Baiard posted:

Fractured and Petrify. I don't have the stat justifications for either but to my discernment they're the strongest effects.

Yeah, I tried a few fights each way and fractured seems better than bullet time just due to the way recovery and action speed bonuses stack.

Petrify is the strongest effect but I think I may go with the knockback/interrupt because it has the highest probability of firing (20% vs 5%) and interrupt on a weapon is a really really nice effect.

Knockback can be kinda annoying though so not sure.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

nice thanks for the update

it's a big deal for whispers since it has lower base damage to compensate for its aoe.

Not just that, but the Whispers bug is actually horrendously bad right now for Monks and Paladins and the like. If you use, say, Flames of Devotion, it will only affect your primary target but the game will freak out and try to apply it to everything else that was in the cone, and will do so by then having your character spam flames on 0% recovery at everything in range and tank your zeal. The same is true for various Monk abilities.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

BTW, how much have you messed with the autopause rules and auto slowdown on entering combat? That stuff can be really handy.

oh, I wasn't aware of any of that stuff. It would be really handy, I'll check it out!

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Avalerion posted:

Pro typ for tyranny is to just run mages, pump lore and nuke the crap out everything with a bunch of customized spells.

Who would have thought that magic would dominate in a bronze age setting?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

User posted:

Who would have thought that magic would dominate in a bronze age setting?

If they had no "Make your own spell" system and instead had a "Make your own stab" system, stabbing would dominate instead

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'd love to customize my fighter's fighting style by choosing abilities from a big list of different schools of fighting but alas, that is ~anime~

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Doesn't paradox own white wolf's catalog now? An exalted CRPG that went all in on anime fighty guys the way most do on magic effects would be pretty god damned cool

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
precisely which ships drop vailian hullbreakers? Not sure if I'm hitting the right ones or hitting a bug.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
I'm currently deep in my 1st playthrough, and while not playing I'm currently brainstorming a build for my 2nd one. Basically I want to use the AI mod linked several times here to create a hands-off party, meaning every battle I leave everything to the AI - complete automation. Difficulty is PotD, non-upscaled though because I hate level scaling in general. So my current considerations for main character:

1. Devoted/Berserker using Amra axe for mobs, and Oathbreaker for bosses:
-> From my testing, it seems that Amra does hit the same target twice (with 2nd damage almost equivalent to a Carnage). The main star of the show, however, is the 50hp auto-kill upgrade, which will just blow up mobs in combination with Mob Stance & Blood Thirst & Carnage & Barbaric Blow & Blood Lust & Clear Out. Against single target, raw damages from Oathbreaker + Blood Frenzy + axe modal stacks to just shred bosses. Also very tanky with Unbending & Refreshing Defenses, and uses DoC Breastplate to counter the Confusion. Will take the Unarmed talent as a backup vs slash immune, because it's equivalent to a multiclass monk's fist at level 19+.

OR

2. Soul Blade/Trickster using Sun and Moon Flail in mainhand, and Tuotilo’s palm in offhand:
-> While not as flashy or as explosive as above, spamming Soul Annihilation (2nd free hit generates focus) does result in a ridiculously high single-target DPS, and the Trickster side provides even more DPS and a whole lot of survivability. It also doesn't depend on Flanked/Distracted buffs like a Streetfighter, and since you don't use your Guile for your main attacks, you can just use them all to make sure you survive. Also, Borrowed Instinct is just crazy.

So basically high AOE DPS vs high single-target DPS.

For my other companions, I would probably use the following party:

1. Maia - Gunhawk/Rogue
-> single-target ranged DPS, spamming The Red Hand.

2. Mirke - Monk/Streetfighter
-> AOE ranged DPS, spamming Hand Mortar/Fire in the Hole to get perma-Streetfighter buff.

3. Xoti - Monk
-> AOE melee DPS, spamming Whisper of the Wind infinitely thanks to the subclass's bonus & Dance of Death.

4. Pallegina - Paladin/Chanter
-> Tank/Healer, +fire & +reload chants, Exalted Focus aura, using Shared Flames once every ~8 seconds, spamming AOE Paralyze, healing with Lay on Hands as needed.

So opinions are appreciated. I'm currently leaning towards the Devoted/Berserker mainly due to the coolness and flashiness factor, however I'm still open to other suggestions. Remember, it needs to be a low-micro build which can be completely automated.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I finally beat the game! Yay! What a fantastic game and sequel! While I truly hope for a third game playing the Watcher, at least Deadfire ends on a pretty firm note and no real cliff hanger endings.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm gonna try a potd run now, was thinking of doing single class priest for the watcher. Any tips for stats, builds, gear to b-line for?

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

chaosapiant posted:

I finally beat the game! Yay! What a fantastic game and sequel! While I truly hope for a third game playing the Watcher, at least Deadfire ends on a pretty firm note and no real cliff hanger endings.

It's a shame this game was so poorly received, because it really is the pinnacle of IE style RTwP gameplay. The story is just adequate, but the game system is top notch. It deserves to live on, even if it isn't in a PoE game.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

User posted:

It's a shame this game was so poorly received, because it really is the pinnacle of IE style RTwP gameplay. The story is just adequate, but the game system is top notch. It deserves to live on, even if it isn't in a PoE game.

Was it poorly received? I've basically only seen glowing praise for it, but I wasn't paying much attention around launch.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Was it poorly received? I've basically only seen glowing praise for it, but I wasn't paying much attention around launch.

Critically it did fine, sales wise it faltered pretty hard.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was on the steam list of best selling games for 2018, it wasn't in the highest tiers but it wasn't like the game bombed either.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm pretty sure it will be one of those games that would be recommended to everybody after some contemporary RPG, in the same list as Baldur's Gate, Fallout New Vegas and so on. So I think Obsidian will benefit from it for ages to come. The only thing I worry about is that this game assumes you've played PoE1 so I suppose some sort of PoE Saga bundle would be on every list "top 10 things to get on the next sale".

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Once they get turn-based mode in there, people might actually be able to play the darn game. I'd like to give it another run-through but gently caress losing fights I could take because I can't remember where every dick head in the party is, how much power juice they've got left in them, what trinkets I haven't used, who is autoattacking what, and so on.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SunAndSpring posted:

Once they get turn-based mode in there, people might actually be able to play the darn game. I'd like to give it another run-through but gently caress losing fights I could take because I can't remember where every dick head in the party is, how much power juice they've got left in them, what trinkets I haven't used, who is autoattacking what, and so on.

You can pause the game. It’s just as easy to play this game as any turnbased game.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
Yeah I've never understood the criticism about realtime in this game. Yes the older IE games had suboptimal pause options, but PoE lets you effectively play turn based already by setting pause on action complete, since that's a character's "turn."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
poo poo's tedious. Even with pausing and going through a checklist of your party and what they're doing, you've got these lovely feeling recovery times that you spend what sometimes feels like ages looking at, spell cast times that you have to cancel every second because somebody moved and is now in the danger zone instead of the nice yellow zone, and so on. I'd rather just have it be like Divinity: Original Sin 2, where I never felt overwhelmed when controlling four characters and summons.

I mean, gently caress, I liked the game. The main quest writing was ok until it shot itself in the head at the end to, I dunno, make a point about how feeble man is in the face of god or some poo poo but really just gave me the feeling I get when a DMPC in a tabletop game does something cool while I watch, the side quest writing was very enjoyable, the visual design of everything is very pretty to look at, and so on. But good lord almighty real time with pause is something that should be consigned to the loving graveyard of video game design, it wasn't good back then and I'm not going to put up with it now.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I like RtpW but even if you pause every action it plays nothing at all like a truly turn based game.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm gonna try a potd run now, was thinking of doing single class priest for the watcher. Any tips for stats, builds, gear to b-line for?

If we set a side your head canon/RP for your character, I'm not sure a pure Priest is the best for the MC. Priests are not as good in Deadfire as in PoE1 (still very good, just not "no brainer you need one in your party"-good). For offense you have better options (Druids and stuff), for Defense they are okay but do you want your MC to be a buff bot? It might get a little boring.

Something better would maybe be a Crusader (Paladin+Priest). Paladins have huge natural bonuses, which you can enhance even more with the Priest spells. They synergize well (most of their offensive spells are Fire based, so Scion of Flames would benefit both classes for instance) and many Priest spells are cast around them - and you' Pally will already be in the middle of the melee to provide Aura and stuff to the other melees.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

User posted:

Yeah I've never understood the criticism about realtime in this game. Yes the older IE games had suboptimal pause options, but PoE lets you effectively play turn based already by setting pause on action complete, since that's a character's "turn."

Yeah, no. Turn-based is more than just pausing all the time. It's about thinking ahead (sometimes several turns ahead) because you can't do poo poo when it's not your turn. In RTwP you can interrupt any action if the enemy is doing something you didn't expect.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Priest of woedica seems really strong just going by the ability descriptions, haven't tried it in practice but seems you could completely shut down enemies from doing anything with one of those.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm gonna pick this game up again once turn-based mode is patched in. I bounced off the first time.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Avalerion posted:

Priest of woedica seems really strong just going by the ability descriptions, haven't tried it in practice but seems you could completely shut down enemies from doing anything with one of those.

Yeah but you won't be particularly tanky. Paladin (or Figther really) covers that, allowing you to drop from Heavy to Medium armor, which'll let you cast faster. And these debuffs would be really good on a front-liner.

But it's your game, go full Priest if you want of course :)

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Furism posted:

Yeah, no. Turn-based is more than just pausing all the time. It's about thinking ahead (sometimes several turns ahead) because you can't do poo poo when it's not your turn. In RTwP you can interrupt any action if the enemy is doing something you didn't expect.

I didn't realize that I can't think ahead past a single action in PoE. I guess I'll have to stop having a plan from now on.

Turn based is just pausing every turn. Then you give instructions and the next turn plays out and when it's done the game pauses again to wait for more instructions. If cancelling an action really bothers you then, well, I guess don't?

User fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 18, 2019

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

User posted:

I didn't realize that I can't think ahead past a single action in PoE. I guess I'll have to stop having a plan from now on.

Turn based is just pausing every turn. Then you give instructions and the next turn plays out and when it's done the game pauses again to wait for more instructions. If cancelling an action really bothers you then, well, I guess don't?

Just because you don't use the interrupt system doesn't mean the enemy won't.

imho combat is (fun, but) extremely hectic (almost incomprehensible in larger fights) at normal speed, and glacially slow on basically every auto-pause setting I've tried. A well-balanced turn-based mode that respect's the player's time and doesn't fall into 'Prostitute uses Jet x50' territory would be a welcome addition for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the biggest difference between RTWP and a well designed turn based system is that in the turn based system you're going to have fewer but far more impactful actions. RTWP is loving glacial of you slow it down to pause after every action because the game is designed to be beatable with humans controlling it without that level of micro-management so every single action is by necessity lower impact or much slower to give more reaction time.

Enemies in turn based games rarely, if ever, live past a few turns unless its explicitly a boss battle. In Pillars even chaff enemies tend to live for obnoxiously long periods of time just so when playing on normal speed everything isn't instantly gibbed/doesn't instantly gib you.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

User posted:

No, you are wrong.

In turn-based, once you've spent all your Action Points, you can't do anything else for that turn, or during the enemy turn (barring any special abilities). In RTwP, you can pause anytime you want (this is not a "turn") and ask _anyone_ to do _any_ action. If a split second later you regret that decision, you can usually still change it (barring any instant ability).

That's the big difference between RTwP and TB. Of course in RTwP you still have to think ahead, you don't have to be a sarcastic in your comment. But if you think ahead wrong, you can still adjust your current action, while in TB you can't because once spent, you can't do another one (or, AP are so expensive you can't afford to change your mind even if you could). There is no "enemy turn" where you just watch all his guys doing actions you can't counter unless you planned for them. That is what I mean by thinking 2 or 3 turns ahead.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah, I like both RTWP and TB for different reasons, and they scratch slightly different itches for me, and I hope both continue to exist.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I just wish turn-based mode hadn't leaked, so this game hadn't been added to the big list of "Games I like but won't play because their next patch sounds so good".

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Turn based mode is going to be a clusterfuck if/when they release it. If its going to be good literally every ability and mechanic is going to need to be changed to at least some extent and rebalanced, new ai programmed...

Its probably as much work as making a whole new game.

Also if they let you switch between modes its going to be hilariously and insanely broken like every game that attempted that.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, as much as I'd love it, it sounds to me like it's something that someone tried to implement without thinking things all the way through. How does interrupt/concentration work? How are spells balanced now that it's much harder to have variable cast times? Honestly I don't even see how it would work using the D&D 4e Move-Minor-Standard system the mockup used, imo you'd have to give each turn 100 or 1000 AP or whatever, so that spells and abilities could take different amounts of time to activate.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think it's obvious this is intended to target the audience that ate up Divinity Original Sin 2, I don't think they'd care if turn based ends up being less balanced or more shallow compared to the base system - to some a simplified game play experience might actually be a bonus.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Ropekid add a Fun mode that undoes all the nerfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I suspect Microsoft is 100% funding the Turn-based mode to make the game more attractive to the Xbox market. Big undertaking for sure, and definitely a re-write of the core mechanics.

I'd just like a "Classic Mode" that turns Deadfire combat back to that of PoE1 because gently caress Penetration Mechanics.