Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I mean, if they want to be paid in "exposure", that's cool.

No, that drags the already horrible interview standards down for the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I think that was sarcasm

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only people I see doing poo poo like that is green engineers with no self worth.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ratbert90 posted:

The only people I see doing poo poo like that is green engineers with no self worth.

when you dont have any experience, and everyone wants experience for entry-level jobs, you get desperate

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Why would you give more than a 2h takehome when you have to read the submissions?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kilometres Davis posted:

Why would you give more than a 2h takehome when you have to read the submissions?

I wouldn't do a take-home at all. I have projects I can show you and several contributions to many prominent OSS projects.

Even green engineers I interview I will ask if they have any code samples/projects on git. I find it makes for much more meaningful conversation.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

I wouldn't do a take-home at all. I have projects I can show you and several contributions to many prominent OSS projects.

Even green engineers I interview I will ask if they have any code samples/projects on git. I find it makes for much more meaningful conversation.

I don’t code outside of work. I have a few other time consuming hobbies that I enjoy way more.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

I don’t code outside of work. I have a few other time consuming hobbies that I enjoy way more.

Which is also why I listed ”code samples.”

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
what do you do if they don't have code samples?

i'm not taking a debate stance here, legit curious. my github is barren, i haven't coded much outside of work in 15 years, i don't have the motivation

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KidDynamite posted:

I've only met a handful of hiring managers who understand this concept. "What? You don't like coding all time every day all the time? Surely this means you don't care about making our fart apps!"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Boiled Water posted:

I've only met a handful of hiring managers who understand this concept. "What? You don't like coding all time every day all the time? Surely this means you don't care about making our fart apps!"

just had this same discussion with a coworker where he was like "i would never hire a person that doesn't do at least research* in their own time"

*: by research he meant bare minimum reading tech blogs and node release notes

he's just had a kid so let's see what his opinion is in a few weeks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my preference is to have jobs where i can do reading/experimentation during working hours but i sure as gently caress can't put that stuff on github

i can talk at length about my projects, my role on them, and i have references to back me up, but i sometimes wonder if i get screened out for not including github poo poo on my resume vOv

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cold on a Cob posted:

my preference is to have jobs where i can do reading/experimentation during working hours but i sure as gently caress can't put that stuff on github

i can talk at length about my projects, my role on them, and i have references to back me up, but i sometimes wonder if i get screened out for not including github poo poo on my resume vOv

ah yes this brings us neatly to that other type of hiring manager: "Oh you don't have anything on github but have been slaving away and has a resume as long as my arm? Nope can't show they can program. Next!"

edit: this person also told me: "Make some projects and put them on github then call me back". The exact words to say if you never want me to call back.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

Greetings,
I happen to come across your profile in Job Site

markov recruiting?

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker

manero
Jan 30, 2006

every god drat time

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I just had a really good phone interview for a sysadmin role at what passes for fintech in Milwaukee.

Do... do they not realize I’m an unskilled incompetent in way way over my head?

:ohdear:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Schadenboner posted:

Do... do they not realize I’m an unskilled incompetent in way way over my head?

:ohdear:

They are too which is why you'll be a perfect addition

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Most of the cold calling, headhunting emails I get don't even bother with the name.

And then I tell them "no, I'm not interested in that area" and get 9001 more from that person for every single area that's not the area I stated I was interested in.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PokeJoe posted:

They are too which is why you'll be a perfect addition

:woop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i wish i got headhunters or even basic loving interest from anyone whatsoever besides the USAF contractors presently employing me

i'd be loving stoked to ever see an email like that even if the only correct action is to file it away and never respond

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ciaphas posted:

i wish i got headhunters or even basic loving interest from anyone whatsoever besides the USAF contractors presently employing me

i'd be loving stoked to ever see an email like that even if the only correct action is to file it away and never respond

I carpet bombed all the major job boards and set the "I'm open to recruiters" flag. If you even look like you'll be even the tiniest bit qualified they'll throw poo poo at you. I think a lot of it is people trying to meet numbers (I ran into one of these the other day), but who knows.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KidDynamite posted:

I'm a weirdo that likes doing side projects like this. I apologize for ruining it for everyone else :eng99:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the worst part of side projects is hitting that stupid sticking point about an hour in where something won't build right or interact with something else properly and you've been googling for twice as long as you've been actually making progress and looking down the barrel at even more time spent reading logs and trace and just give up right then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the worst part of side projects is that i have to file paperwork and get explicit written permission from my employer to release them

this has been true at every employer i've ever had with >100 employees

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All my side projects are on my own (relatively large) free time. I just want someone to see I'm capable of coding without having to do a test.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
no, that's what i mean

i have never been able to negotiate my way out of my employer's clauses that purport to own everything i write, even in my own time

every employer says "sure you can contribute to open source, just file tickets X, Y, and Z and wait for legal review"

:(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What the hell? That's dumb

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

iospace posted:

What the hell? That's dumb

Same sentiment.

I have clauses in my contract that state “anything pertaining to the business and their projects” but everything I do? I would refuse to sign that bs.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Official offer came through, total comp is 37.5% higher than my current role excluding options (which I also get), plus a 10k signing bonus. Can't hand in my notice soon enough.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

Official offer came through, total comp is 37.5% higher than my current role excluding options (which I also get), plus a 10k signing bonus. Can't hand in my notice soon enough.

Congrats! Tell us how the resignation goes!

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

qhat posted:

Nice going!

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

qhat posted:

Get approval for the largest PTO block you can, then submit your resignation while on your last day of PTO.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

Same sentiment.

I have clauses in my contract that state “anything pertaining to the business and their projects” but everything I do? I would refuse to sign that bs.

i'm not an idiot

i have tried to negotiate these things. unsuccessfully. several times.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not an idiot

i have tried to negotiate these things. unsuccessfully. several times.

i got a new york offer (didnt take em up on it) like 3 times and they didnt budge any of those times

they budged on all the jobs i've had in the valley (startupland, tho)

funtimes

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
Is your company really going to come after you for your “fartz as a service” project or a bug fix you drop for some OSS project? Who’s watching your GH repos and why would that even be in their interest if they are?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Is your company really going to come after you for your “fartz as a service” project or a bug fix you drop for some OSS project? Who’s watching your GH repos and why would that even be in their interest if they are?

some will cut your fuckin throat over it yes

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, that's what i mean

i have never been able to negotiate my way out of my employer's clauses that purport to own everything i write, even in my own time

every employer says "sure you can contribute to open source, just file tickets X, Y, and Z and wait for legal review"

:(

Perhaps if you wore nicer shoes?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ploft-shell crab posted:

Did it make > $0? Then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

some will cut your fuckin throat over it yes

yes, there are companies that will