Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's the biggest upset in wrestling history?

Hogan "put over" Jacques Rougeau in his hometown at a house show in their WCW days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Bigass Moth posted:

Vader squashing Inoki.

I like this answer. I'd say it's a good upset when the babyface gets beat so bad the crowd literally starts a riot

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

I like this answer. I'd say it's a good upset when the babyface gets beat so bad the crowd literally starts a riot

To be fair about this one, there were other factors in play that started the riot (like the attempted bait-and-switch with the original main of Inoki/Riki Choshu, for starters).

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

Bret over Flair for the title.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Low Desert Punk posted:

Ciclope def. Chris Jericho for the Cruiserweight Championship

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ciclope def. Chris Jericho for the Cruiserweight Championship

Yeah that was a pretty good o.... wait a minute....

:aaa:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Me when Jericho had to hand the title back to Triple H after his first title win :negative:
would you like to hear a tragic tale from my childhood?

In 2000 in Ireland, you had to wait until Friday to watch Raw on Sky Sports. Since all my dipshit friends would spoil the results for me anyway, I used to read the Raw report every Tuesday morning on Rajah. The week that Jericho “won” the title, the Rajah report didn’t mention the bit where the decision got reversed. I spent all week thinking that Jericho was the WWF Champion, and then I was completely heartbroken when I saw it actually play out that Friday night 😭

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's a War Crime and I'll see Rajah.com hang for that :mad:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

jesus WEP posted:

Are the sheepherders still the only people to have a ***** match and a -***** match?

Yes

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that was a pretty good o.... wait a minute....

:aaa:

these were the moments that shivone's style shined. I still hear this entire moment in my head with no effort.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's that one and,"Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell" which will last forever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
straight to hell

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, Tony was perfectly fine before he stopped giving a poo poo at the end. His sports announcer voice was great for helping it seem like a legit sportiing event.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
What I wonder is, when Schiavone was saying 'don't worry, the cookie sheets don't hurt' or words to that effect, was he being told to minimise it by S&P or someone?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

No love for the midcarder Chris Jericho defeating the two biggest wrestling stars of their era and possibly of all time in the same night to become the first ever undisputed champion and then never being seen or heard from again

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Misawa defeating Jumbo is up there. Baba made the decision the day of the show based on observing the crowd filing in, Jumbo asked if it could be a count out and he said no, because he could see what it'd mean on that day for Misawa to win clean.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Jericho and Benoit beating Austin and Triple H was a good one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

titties posted:

No love for the midcarder Chris Jericho defeating the two biggest wrestling stars of their era and possibly of all time in the same night to become the first ever undisputed champion and then never being seen or heard from again

I still contend that if HHH hadn't been out with an injury, it would have been he who beat both Rock and Austin to become the first undisputed world champion.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I still contend that if HHH hadn't been out with an injury, it would have been he who beat both Rock and Austin to become the first undisputed world champion.

Even though he was out, Trips was on the poster for it, so...there's a there there

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

Even though he was out, Trips was on the poster for it, so...there's a there there

WWF Vengeance: :smith:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

D.N. Nation posted:

Looks like someone kept punching him in the nose.

Also, why do people talk about the Gorilla/Brain commentary team all the time, but not Gorilla/Body? They latter called PPVs together for a much longer period of time than the former. And while I love Ventura and Heenan, Monsoon was a loving disaster at times. I'd still take him over post-'01 Lawler, but it's like the people who talk up Gorilla the most haven't listened to his commentary in decades. I forget which PPV it was, but he spends the entire goddamn thing trying to make "It's a happening!" into a catchphrase. I think it was an 80s Summerslam he called with Billy Graham, of all loving people.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

FunMerrania posted:

Jericho and Benoit beating Austin and Triple H was a good one.

They were both upper tier guys who had the storyline reason to win. Benoit beating HHH clean at wrestle mania was a much bigger upset. He was treated as an afterthought even though he won the Rumble.

Zaqtaro
Apr 12, 2011
Where would be the best place to let you guys know we're streaming old rear end Mountain State matches again, and that currently at 4:24 pm EST that The Canadian Lion himself is in the current chat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgiC3EiZF7c

We've missed you guys.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zaqtaro posted:

Where would be the best place to let you guys know we're streaming old rear end Mountain State matches again, and that currently at 4:24 pm EST that The Canadian Lion himself is in the current chat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgiC3EiZF7c

We've missed you guys.

in the PSPTV thread probably

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Looks like someone kept punching him in the nose.

Also, why do people talk about the Gorilla/Brain commentary team all the time, but not Gorilla/Body? They latter called PPVs together for a much longer period of time than the former. And while I love Ventura and Heenan, Monsoon was a loving disaster at times. I'd still take him over post-'01 Lawler, but it's like the people who talk up Gorilla the most haven't listened to his commentary in decades. I forget which PPV it was, but he spends the entire goddamn thing trying to make "It's a happening!" into a catchphrase. I think it was an 80s Summerslam he called with Billy Graham, of all loving people.

Him saying 'The external occipital protuberance' about someone's head drove me spare.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In the AEW thread there's a lot of talk about unions. Every state in Mexico has a wrestlers' union, but I never hear them get talked about when these discussions come up. How credible are the Mexican wrestling unions, and what do they do

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Smoking Crow posted:

In the AEW thread there's a lot of talk about unions. Every state in Mexico has a wrestlers' union, but I never hear them get talked about when these discussions come up. How credible are the Mexican wrestling unions, and what do they do

they're credible enough to deface someone's car

but they aren't really an actual labor union

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Let me guess, they exist to make sure that the old guys have all the power?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Is there a particularly good book that focuses on the history of women wrestling from the Mildred Burke/June Byers era through all the seedy Fabulous Moolah stuff? I've only learned what I know from posts on here and from reading obituaries of wrestlers in the Observer, I'd like to know if there's a good book that covers the history.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sisterhood of the Squared Circle by Dan Murphy and Pat Laprade

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tato posted:

Is there a particularly good book that focuses on the history of women wrestling from the Mildred Burke/June Byers era through all the seedy Fabulous Moolah stuff? I've only learned what I know from posts on here and from reading obituaries of wrestlers in the Observer, I'd like to know if there's a good book that covers the history.

not a book but

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_and_Dynamite,_Piss_and_Vinegar:_The_First_Ladies_of_Wrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

After the big strike over wrestling getting on national TV (the wrestlers opposed it believing it would hurt live gates) CMLL co-opted a union, the one that exists in the company to this day. From what I gather it basically does what the "not a union" Cody proposed would do.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

After the big strike over wrestling getting on national TV (the wrestlers opposed it believing it would hurt live gates)
Wrestlers might actually be too dumb to function, holy poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Easy Diff posted:

The NFL still locally blacks out games that aren't sellouts for this exact reason, blissfully unaware that you're just preventing potential fans from ever becoming fans in the first place. It's wild.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Easy Diff posted:

The wrestlers did that because it would make TV stars the only draws instead of the regional stars that drew just as big in the past

They were right

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kennel posted:

Let me guess, they exist to make sure that the old guys have all the power?

thats basically every AFL-CIO union in the construction trades, sounds legit. (note: i am a union laborer im half just talking poo poo because USW hosed us at my last factory.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Easy Diff posted:

They were right, actually. The number of house shows (and thus work) declined after TV.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It also helped end the territory system which I would argue lead to less people making money in wrestling.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I believe it's pretty well accepted that the total audience for wrestling (for live shows anyway) is smaller now than it was decades ago for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I believe it's pretty well accepted that the total audience for wrestling (for live shows anyway) is smaller now than it was decades ago for that reason.

The total TV audience is much smaller too.