Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Where does everyone buy their used gear, if they don't live near a mountain? Craigslist is just a million pairs of 40-year-old straight skis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I do live near a mountain, but the local buy/sell FB group.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I usually just buy off season new at 30-50% off. Denver has a bunch of good swaps as well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

I usually just buy off season new at 30-50% off.

This is what I do as well. Last year's top sheet!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah I know Chicago had a few ski shows where you could get decent deals when I lived there. The Four Mountain pre season sale up here in Aspen has had the best deals I've seen so far

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

What did you get?

spwrozek posted:

And for how much?

4FRNT Col 114s (lightly used) $125 from a guy I talked to at a ski patrol party

Dynafit Beast 14s $150 from steep and cheap

G3 Alpinist skins $160 from backcountry.com (the ones cross branded with backcountry - they did not come with a skin saver of any kind, not even a cheap sheet of plastic, for anyone considering them)

I guess my boots cost more but I’m using the same Cochise 120s I’ve been using for in bounds, so it didn’t cost me any new money.

I didn’t cut corners on safety gear, but did wind up with beacon shovel probe and airbag for $500.

BCA Tracker 2 (new) from Freeze Pro Shop online for ~$200
Shovel / probe from a local shop $100
SnowPulse 30L airbag pack from a local outdoor consignment shop for $200. That was the piece I was most skeptical about, but the pack shows virtually no signs of use, I inspected the airbag and it shows no damage, and it inflated properly (came with a charged cylinder, bonus), so I think it was a sound purchase. There’s probably cause for caution buying a used lifesaving device, but I can’t really swing a sticker priced new one so I think it nets out as a benefit to my risk exposure.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Man it is snowing angrily in Telluride. I already dislocated my shoulder (again) today. Cocktail + ibuprofen = just ski.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 18, 2019

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
hell yeah everybody break everything

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kazak_Hstan posted:

No :colbert:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I am injury free in 2019!

Last year I crashed a road bike on concrete and broke a rib skiing. Not that bad considering.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

40% off TREW outwear for men this weekend.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I tried out my new Burton Bottom Feeder yesterday for the first time. It wasn't a deep pow day but there was a bit of fresh and wind-favored slopes were deep and windloaded enough to feel buttery smooth.

The board was fantastic in the fresh stuff, and after an adjustment period it was surprisingly decent as a carving board on the groom. The short running length means sharp turns, which I prefer to long meandering ones. You feel the setback and tiny tail when you put it on edge--it really feels like the board is taking you for a ride when you initiate a proper carve with your front foot. The width is nice; I have a bit of overhang still but I'd really need to get that thing elevated to get any foot drag. It felt quick and nimble in the trees, too.

It's a little squirrelly at high speeds on hardpack. I didn't take it in the park but I can't imagine it'd do very well.

I can't wait for a truely deep powder day. I'm going back up on Monday, which looks like it'll be a nice day for groomers (a bit of fresh is coming down tonight and tomorrow to freshen things up), so I can continue to see how it'll fair as a daily driver

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 19, 2019

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

spwrozek posted:

40% off TREW outwear for men this weekend.

Trewth bib is coming in the clutch, I love mine

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Trewth bib is coming in the clutch, I love mine

My only issue is with the straps. They don't stay at tightness level I want them while riding. They also do this thing where the plastic clip rotates and scrunches up the fabric part if they're past some really low tightness level. Outside of that I'm liking both the bibs and jacket I bought quite a bit.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fknlo posted:

My only issue is with the straps. They don't stay at tightness level I want them while riding. They also do this thing where the plastic clip rotates and scrunches up the fabric part if they're past some really low tightness level. Outside of that I'm liking both the bibs and jacket I bought quite a bit.

Agreed, I wish they put a round plastic part and it would be perfect.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My problem with bibs is that I ride hot. Like, unless it's under 10F out, bibs are just too hot for me. And the bibs I had were only very lightly insulated. Otherwise they're very comfy

I do kind of wish my current pants had zip in/out bibs. The old pants with that option aren't really waterproof anymore

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Trweth bibs are complete shells fwiw. There is zero insulation and then zip the sides down. They still may be too hot for you but I am good in them uphilling.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat it. We are on the rain line of this storm. Looks like we will just get a ton of freezing rain.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

The Trweth bibs are complete shells fwiw. There is zero insulation and then zip the sides down. They still may be too hot for you but I am good in them uphilling.

I find I get colder in them than I did my old gear as well. Maybe slightly less windproof? They're super breathable though and I've worn them without getting hot in 60 degree weather after riding.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Kazak_Hstan posted:

43” at Alta in two days, hit my favorite fresh run after the lift going to it was closed for 3 days, hit the ridge wrong, one ski popped off, the other didn’t.

Moderate to severe muscle strain: can’t walk very well, may be done for 3 weeks.

:(

Edit: in other news, anyone got a silver bullet for IT Band/LCL injuries? Elevate, but should I do cold or hot on it?

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 20, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fknlo posted:

I find I get colder in them than I did my old gear as well. Maybe slightly less windproof? They're super breathable though and I've worn them without getting hot in 60 degree weather after riding.

I don't really think so. I was in some winds in Japan that literally could knock you down and it was all good.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

spwrozek posted:

I don't really think so. I was in some winds in Japan that literally could knock you down and it was all good.

Can confirm. I walked from Niseko Village to JR Hirafu Station at 4AM in the morning with full gear and luggage to make my train back to Tokyo in them. lol.

That poo poo sucked.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dude that is a freaking haul off a walk!

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Boot chat:

I bought some Nordica Speed Machines a couple years back and have had issues with numb/cold toes consistently since. Like even in the spring, my toes end up losing feeling. Can still wiggle them, but they are cold and clammy.

The shell seems to have enough room for my foot... I'm not over tightening straps/buckles and the toe box is roomy.

Even walking around in the liners without the shell (inside) my feet are uncomfortable. I took out the footbed and that gave me some more room and improved the out of shell feeling, but didn't do anything for the warmth of the liner.

I was thinking of just getting some intuition liners and salvaging the shell, but I'm not really attached to them at this point. Dealt with it for two seasons going on three so maybe it's best to just buy something new?

200 for a new liner or 650+ for new boots is appealing but spending 200 for a liner that doesn't improve it would be frustrating.

My snowboard boots are awesome and I never had cold feet with them. Liners are intuition foam there, but that's a whole different beast.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not going to be super helpful because the things you describe are just a normal part of wearing race boots, but from what I understand snowboard boots are always going to be warmer than ski boots and I know for a fact they are always going to be more comfortable.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
North of two feet in a day in Steamboat. Pretty wild times.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

McStephenson posted:

Edit: in other news, anyone got a silver bullet for IT Band/LCL injuries? Elevate, but should I do cold or hot on it?

Running goons swear by foam rolling for the muscle stuff, if it’s ligament damage though you’re probably stuck taking it easy and letting your body do its thing. How sure of the specific nature of the injury are you?

Did my first AT day today, some parts very positive some very difficult!

It was good to put everything together and skin up, which went really well. Unfortunately, the ski down was extremely difficult - an inch of breakable crust on top of three feet of rotten sugar. I have not yet mastered the dynafit bindings; it seems like getting the toe piece to actually engage requires NASA precision.

All in all really good though, all the volcanoes were out, gorgeous sunset, and my extremely poor, verging on futile, turns were 100% human powered.

Probably going to take this setup to alyeska and get it a little more dialed in. It’s very frustrating to attempt to step into my bindings and fail eight times in a row. Seems like maybe i need to fashion some sort of gaffe to manually engage the lever that controls the pins on the toe piece, but like that should engage if the pins are lined up with the holes and I step on the spring plate.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I went to A-basin for the first time in a decade. That place held up. I love the new terrain. But what the gently caress is up with $20 parking now

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

22k of cold rear end xc today. Race is next week and it’s supposed to be a high of 3F. Gonna be slow and painful but I’m feeling pretty confident in finishing at least.

Still pretty mediocre downhill conditions here, waiting for a strong lake effect cycle to kick in. Too bad all the major continental systems have brought heat along with their moisture so far.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

RC Cola posted:

I went to A-basin for the first time in a decade. That place held up. I love the new terrain. But what the gently caress is up with $20 parking now

It only cost money to park in that one lot that fits 10 cars....

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Vibes for Max...

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2816371-olympic-snowboard-silver-medalist-max-parrot-diagnosed-with-hodgkin-lymphoma.amp.html

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

HookShot posted:

I'm not going to be super helpful because the things you describe are just a normal part of wearing race boots, but from what I understand snowboard boots are always going to be warmer than ski boots and I know for a fact they are always going to be more comfortable.

Yeah that's the third option is that I just need to HTFU.

Or buy some heated socks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/KellyCanuckTO/status/1087081869118709761

This owns

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
It turned out to be good in Nj even with the rain. The rain kept everyone away and we didn't lose too much of the new snow. So no crowds and good conditions considering the circumstances. I got a lot of runs in.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice little JP-esk segment.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mr Newsman posted:

Heated socks are great, I have some that I use for the colder days. They don't really keep my feet actively warm, but they do stop them from completely losing feeling after ten minutes when it's super cold out.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Had a real good day at church today. Met the owner of the mountain and he flew us to ski some closed terrain.

Silverton is a really great day of skiing.

E:
the top of the lift and some people earning some good afternoon turns

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 21, 2019

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Mr Newsman posted:

Ski boots suck, but eventually you'll find some combination of bootfitter, boots, and technique that will make things liveable. I finally found that with Lange boots, no socks, and diligently unbuckling the 2nd buckle while on the chair, I have no more issues. Took me multiple decades, multiple bootfitters, dozens of boots, and one day of forgetting to dry out my socks to figure that out. If I forget to unbuckle my boots even one chair ride, my toes go numb and will stay numb to some extent for days, which I can't imagine is healthy. Heated insoles (Hottronics) don't do anything for me.

For my gf, heated insoles solved absolutely everything (in her otherwise well fitted boots).

edit: if your current boots weren't fitted by an experienced (this part is important, you want an old greybeard at a mom and pop shop or working out of their home, not some hourly Australian kid at a chain ski shop) bootfitter, that's 90% likely going to completely solve any issues you have.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 21, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Kreez posted:

Ski boots suck, but eventually you'll find some combination of bootfitter, boots, and technique that will make things liveable. I finally found that with Lange boots, no socks, and diligently unbuckling the 2nd buckle while on the chair, I have no more issues. Took me multiple decades, multiple bootfitters, dozens of boots, and one day of forgetting to dry out my socks to figure that out. If I forget to unbuckle my boots even one chair ride, my toes go numb and will stay numb to some extent for days, which I can't imagine is healthy. Heated insoles (Hottronics) don't do anything for me.

For my gf, heated insoles solved absolutely everything (in her otherwise well fitted boots).

edit: if your current boots weren't fitted by an experienced (this part is important, you want an old greybeard at a mom and pop shop or working out of their home, not some hourly Australian kid at a chain ski shop) bootfitter, that's 90% likely going to completely solve any issues you have.

What do you mean no socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just get thin socks you weirdo wtf