Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
I've decided I just don't care for the episodes on comedies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I listened to the Abraxis episode and I didn't hear them say "Probably Secundis" at all. Did I miss it or is it from another episode?

edit: it's right at the end, after the outro.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 16, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Dukket posted:

I've decided I just don't care for the episodes on comedies.

I’d argue this one wasn’t.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Fart City posted:

I’d argue this one wasn’t.

To each their own, but this one wasn't doing it for me either.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I'm the guy shouting, "No, it was 'And You Thought Your Parents Were Weird!'" in my car until they finally rectified the error and I could put down my tweet. What a tense 30 seconds!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I was going to ask for Usual Suspects for Listener Request month, and then I listened to this episode.

Yikes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think Steve's said it was one of his favorite movies until The Troubles so I doubt we'll ever see it on WHM and probably not WLM if they do it again.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
"Sefundus the clown" is one of the hardest laughs I've ever had in years of listening to WHM. Now I always listen all the way through the outro song in fear of missing something like that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I think Steve's said it was one of his favorite movies until The Troubles so I doubt we'll ever see it on WHM and probably not WLM if they do it again.

It was one of those movies that I was really, really into at a certain point in my life, but that I haven't actually watched in years. T2 was another one of those movies, so I thought US might be a good pick, and if not, they could always rag on Spacey.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

What time exactly did they say phones were closed for requests? It seemed like we had an extra day.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sanzuo posted:

What time exactly did they say phones were closed for requests? It seemed like we had an extra day.

Midnight eastern today. So about 4.5 hours from this post.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Midnight eastern today. So about 4.5 hours from this post.

According to the WHM Twitter it's already over which means I didn't get a chance to due to procrastination

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Huh. I swear I double checked when listening yesterday.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Midnight eastern today was 20 hours ago.

This is why I like to say 11:59pm or 12:01am and/or say both days that overlap to give it more distinction.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shoot, that means all my submissions were discarded. :(

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

No, hold on. I am listening to the Love Guru ep and they said "you have all of Wednesday. As of the 17th is over" so I did make it.

Billy Gnosis posted:

According to the WHM Twitter it's already over which means I didn't get a chance to due to procrastination

Which tweet was this?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

This appears to be one of the times when the movie is disjointed enough they have trouble following a throughline, because I'm like halfway through this ep and I have only a vague idea of what the overall arc of the Love Guru is

Still funny, and I assume they're doing the best they can, like Stephen Colbert and Jim Gaffigan before them

No, they pretty much covered the whole plot of the movie. Love Guru is just really bad.

The movie actually is just a collection of lovely and offensive jokes spread over a weak as gently caress plot about Hockey that would get laughed out of a direct to DVD sports movie.

The only thing they seemed to get wrong is that Ben Kingsley isn't a white guy. Which actually makes his ridiculous character a little worse.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

AceOfFlames posted:

No, hold on. I am listening to the Love Guru ep and they said "you have all of Wednesday. As of the 17th is over" so I did make it

I swear I saw them tweet, replying that someone on Twitter missed the deadline. I can't find it on their timeline now.

Carry on.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I just requested Christmas with the Kranks. I'm half convinced they did WLM this December to be able to skip it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Dbrasco37/status/1085729756941873152

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It was one of those movies that I was really, really into at a certain point in my life, but that I haven't actually watched in years. T2 was another one of those movies, so I thought US might be a good pick, and if not, they could always rag on Spacey.

I feel like Spacey and Singer hurt less than other revelations, because every other Spacey role is a brooding cauldron of evil under a placid normal surface and every other Bryan Singer movie features an older man creepily grooming a young teenager so when the revelations came out it was a lot of "well that sucks but I guess it makes sense"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The How Did This Get Made episode on The Love Guru is one of their earliest ones and actually kind of funny and does more of a job describing the plot. But the people react to it the same as the WHM Crew. Everyone who sees The Love Guru is just befuddled at how aggressively unfunny and drawn out it is about everything. Never has 90 minutes felt longer.

I feel like Master of Disguise is similarly befuddling but not as offensive. But every moment you watch it you're still thinking "How was this made and approved and released?"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tato posted:

The How Did This Get Made episode on The Love Guru is one of their earliest ones and actually kind of funny and does more of a job describing the plot. But the people react to it the same as the WHM Crew. Everyone who sees The Love Guru is just befuddled at how aggressively unfunny and drawn out it is about everything. Never has 90 minutes felt longer.

I feel like Master of Disguise is similarly befuddling but not as offensive. But every moment you watch it you're still thinking "How was this made and approved and released?"

I dunno, I remember Dana Carvey actually DOES do brownface for his funny indian character

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wow, I just went back to the Running Man episode, and it almost brought me to tears about what I loved about the earlier episodes. Their Ventura impression wasn't fully formed yet, they barely glance at Louie Anderson, and they want Donald Trump to be a runner on Celebrity Running Man (right after Belushi.) The extended bit about people playing gamble was great. And I still miss episodes not having movie clips in them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I dunno, I remember Dana Carvey actually DOES do brownface for his funny indian character

Not even John Candy escaped that unscathed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DElV-tp-fxs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Not even John Candy escaped that unscathed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DElV-tp-fxs

I remember this one, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098645/

Don't remember much about it. Would it make a good episode?

e;
Ernest goes to Africa had the titular Ernest doing an Indian character as well.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 18, 2019

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

GoutPatrol posted:

Wow, I just went back to the Running Man episode, and it almost brought me to tears about what I loved about the earlier episodes. Their Ventura impression wasn't fully formed yet, they barely glance at Louie Anderson, and they want Donald Trump to be a runner on Celebrity Running Man (right after Belushi.) The extended bit about people playing gamble was great. And I still miss episodes not having movie clips in them.

“A game of gamble” still cracks me up the instant I think about it

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Pretending to be Indian and making fun of them was weirdly okay in the USA for a weirdly long time

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Pretending to be Indian and making fun of them was weirdly okay in the USA for a weirdly long time

That's one of the reasons I'd have requested Short Circuit if I'd actually remembered to call

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tato posted:

That movie has the best Imdb Tribune factoid ever

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Was?

Henker
May 5, 2009

Just listened to the Rambo animated series episode. Holy poo poo that was great, never heard grown men so gleeful about a forgotten 80s cartoon before.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MariusLecter posted:

I remember this one, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098645/

Don't remember much about it. Would it make a good episode?

It's been years since I've seen it, but I don't remember it being remotely remarkable. Too "meh".

The true mystery though is why my father felt the need to buy it on VHS randomly.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

OK, I feel really stupid because I feel like I should know this.

What the hell is "and it shall truly be... a planet of *blank*" a reference to?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm pretty sure it's Alex Jones' flunky boy whose name I can't remember. The one who goes by "prisonplanet". The original quote, unsurprisingly, was, "and it will truly be. .. A prison planet"

Or I've been misinterpreting that for years. Could be that.

Box of Frogs
Feb 12, 2012
It's a line from War for the Planet of the Apes. Woody Harrelson says "and it will truly be..a planet of apes"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I would not have taken Sajdak's bet

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Alex Jones' flunky boy whose name I can't remember. The one who goes by "prisonplanet". The original quote, unsurprisingly, was, "and it will truly be. .. A prison planet"

Or I've been misinterpreting that for years. Could be that.

Naw the reference to him is "They're eating garbage"

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Imagine my shock when it ended up truly being a planet of apes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I upgraded to the $8 tier for the Commandomentary (which was excellent), but I've discovered the real jewel that is The Nexus. My only exposure to Star Trek aside from general cultural osmosis was a handful of TNG episodes and First Contact, so I wasn't sure how much I'd get out of it. I needn't have worried, it's great! I'm looking forward to working through the backlog and I'm hoping they go back on their promise and let Eric read more slash fiction to them after Episode 3.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 21, 2019