Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
FHA is a distillation of most of the stuff that makes FSN works. The characters having been already established can be fleshed out and allowed to breath outside of the HGW conflict which universally lets them develop far more and basically created the actual framework that they would be defined by in the franchise which wound up being for the better in pretty much every case. It deftly balances drama, humor, and action in a way the original really couldn't because of the nature of the story at the time and it really comes together in a way that's impressive. I had very high hopes going in and it was really cool seeing them surpassed. It's a must-read for any Fate fan IMO.

The new characters like Bazett/Angra/Caren are also super rad, which helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm reminded of the Highlander TV series, which showed that people are quite cool with a group of folks hanging out who should theoretically be all about murdering each other in violent ways.

In other news, the third Heaven's Feel movie did really well. I will attribute it to Rider.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I'm reminded of the Highlander TV series, which showed that people are quite cool with a group of folks hanging out who should theoretically be all about murdering each other in violent ways.

In other news, the third Heaven's Feel movie did really well. I will attribute it to Rider.

That's the SECOND Heaven's Feel movie, as they only just announced the third. :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

FHA also outright tells us that in the vast kaleidoscope multiverse, there is not a single timeline where Kotomine Kirei survives the 5HGW.

Retconned as he survived the 5HGW(Ainsworth edition) and found his meaning to life in being a Mapo Tofu chef.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Prisma's canonicity is dubious to Nasuverse. And if we take FGO as canon it comes from a different Universe (as distinct to timeline) because it wasn't incinerated by the BadMan.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Also both Hiroyama and Nasu have said it's not supposed to fit with the core works.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: 4Chan now has decent quality leaks of the whole film. Just checked. :siren:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yes, the exclusive 4chan leaks... taken from baidu and hosted on nyaa

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
to get the password for the torrent you must buy a 4chan Gold Pass

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I thought nyaa went under years ago

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
there were two successor sites that came up immediately and they're both just called nyaa

i think the lame one of the two died so there's just one Nyaa now

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 17, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I thought nyaa went under years ago
boy, it sure would be funny if typing a period and then the letters s and i after the word nyaa gave you a site that was literally just nyaa, right down to having all the torrents from the old site still up

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Endorph posted:

boy, it sure would be funny if typing a period and then the letters s and i after the word nyaa gave you a site that was literally just nyaa, right down to having all the torrents from the old site still up
Or when that is your name that get lit up everytime someone mentions it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
[in chaika spanish dub voice] "Nyaa?" "Nyaa, si."

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Screw that I'm gonna wait until it's out here and watch it in glorious silver screen with popcorn on hand.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Same except the popcorn.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nyaa posted:

Or when that is your name that get lit up everytime someone mentions it.

psst, can you hook me up with subs for heaven's feel

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I hold out hope they'll just stick the HF flicks on Netflix, possibly with the amusing 'Netflix Original Production' in front of it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I will probably never watch them. I did start Emiya family and watch the case files pilot though. Good poo poo.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
its a real loving gut shot when the movie plays an instrumental Believe from UBW. rip kalafina

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Julia320/status/1085896280893644800

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yuu Asakawa is basically the best. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What!?

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1086116599348682752?s=19

e: not available in the US? Fuckin :rip:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 18, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
From the leaks, the sex scene for sakura and shirou isn't like, gratuitous or anything.

But it does feel weird on some level.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's kinda funny that the "shirou is clueless" meme has been around for so long that the inclusion of a sex scene kinda takes me by surprise.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cuntellectual posted:

From the leaks, the sex scene for sakura and shirou isn't like, gratuitous or anything.

But it does feel weird on some level.

there are double-digit layers of 'weird' Heaven's Feel conveys intentionally, so perhaps you could, um, expand on that thought?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
If it wasn't weird, I'd find that more questionable.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Space Flower posted:

there are double-digit layers of 'weird' Heaven's Feel conveys intentionally, so perhaps you could, um, expand on that thought?

I haven't seen it, but from what I heard, its less that they abandoned the Realta Nua blood drinking in favor of the original sex scenes but instead decided "why not both?"

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
When do we get THAT Excalibur Morgan in FGO, goddamn.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I haven't seen it, but from what I heard, its less that they abandoned the Realta Nua blood drinking in favor of the original sex scenes but instead decided "why not both?"

yeah I saw it and liked how they handled that—it makes sense in context. since when they have sex, it's because they're in love and not just because mana

the movie makes some really cool adaptation choices that evoke the original VN. if anyone was interested in seeing it early, the camrip was recorded in 1080p and the sound quality is as good. the person was sitting a bit close and to the left, so a bit on the right side is missing. there was one scene where illya's on the far right so her face got cut off there.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
big pt2 spoilers:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading through the untranslated El-Melloi case files books, and I can defnitely see why they chose to animate Rail Zeppelin over the first three books. I enjoyed the first three, but Rail Zeppelin really knocks it out of the park and has some great twists. Try not to get spoiled if you can, you'll probably enjoy it more that way. I wound up catching one or two minor spoilers while looking stuff up on the Type Moon wiki.

One thing that did catch my attention is it has some significant references to Tsukihime/KnK. There's a line about there being rumors of some Mystic Eyes of Depth Perception having appeared in the far east, though it's unclear which Shiki it was referring to. The Forest of Einnache, one of the Dead Apostle Ancestors in the Tsukihime timeline, also plays a significant part in the story, and it wouldn't have been created without Arcuied's intervention.

For all their bluster about their different properties all being in different timelines, they specifically say in one of the afterwords that the El-Melloi case files are supposed to be in the same timeline as Stay Night and is meant to tie their older works to their newer stuff. Including this stuff makes me wish they stuck to their guns about having a shared universe more.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

I'm reading through the untranslated El-Melloi case files books, and I can defnitely see why they chose to animate Rail Zeppelin over the first three books. I enjoyed the first three, but Rail Zeppelin really knocks it out of the park and has some great twists. Try not to get spoiled if you can, you'll probably enjoy it more that way. I wound up catching one or two minor spoilers while looking stuff up on the Type Moon wiki.

One thing that did catch my attention is it has some significant references to Tsukihime/KnK. There's a line about there being rumors of some Mystic Eyes of Depth Perception having appeared in the far east, though it's unclear which Shiki it was referring to. The Forest of Einnache, one of the Dead Apostle Ancestors in the Tsukihime timeline, also plays a significant part in the story, and it wouldn't have been created without Arcuied's intervention.

For all their bluster about their different properties all being in different timelines, they specifically say in one of the afterwords that the El-Melloi case files are supposed to be in the same timeline as Stay Night and is meant to tie their older works to their newer stuff. Including this stuff makes me wish they stuck to their guns about having a shared universe more.

Honestly I feel like the main reason for the "different timelines" is to have an excuse for inconsistencies when they do crossovers. "It's totally not a plothole, that was a different timeline"

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Aumanor posted:

Honestly I feel like the main reason for the "different timelines" is to have an excuse for inconsistencies when they do crossovers. "It's totally not a plothole, that was a different timeline"

That's basically it. F/Z is not in the F/SN timeline so they can handwave the inconsistencies.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Argas posted:

That's basically it. F/Z is not in the F/SN timeline so they can handwave the inconsistencies.

My pet theory is that the Fate/Zero timeline is the timeline EMIYA came from. In the Stay Night timelines, everything went the same except that Aoi died when she was strangled. In EMIYA's timeline, Aoi was the Tohsaka Master instead of Rin, and summoned Ciel as an Archer. That's how EMIYA and Ciel first met.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Silver2195 posted:

My pet theory is that the Fate/Zero timeline is the timeline EMIYA came from. In the Stay Night timelines, everything went the same except that Aoi died when she was strangled. In EMIYA's timeline, Aoi was the Tohsaka Master instead of Rin, and summoned Ciel as an Archer. That's how EMIYA and Ciel first met.

Come to think of it, they did state long ago that Archer got his red coat from Ciel, didn't they?

But then they went and said Tsukihime and Fate are in significantly different timelines, and that in the Fate timeline Roa was killed by Dantes long before Ciel was possessed by him.

So now you have the question of how did a Roa-less Ciel, a normal baker's daughter, come to join the Church and rise high enough in its ranks to have access to artifacts that she could give to Emiya?

This is the type of inconsistency you get when they try and half-rear end things by putting stuff in alternate timelines while still keeping links between them. In the case of Zero, it was specifically written as a prequel to F/SN. It's referenced all over Hollow Ataraxia. El Melloi case files (again, stated in an afterword to be in the same timeline as F/SN) is of course laced with references to Zero. The only real inconsistencies were stuff that's easily explained away by in-universe explanations or small enough to just be ignored.

Alternate timeline nonsense was fine for stuff like Extra, where it's so far removed from everything there's little to no crossover, or for Apocrypha, where they specifically lay out an alternate history, but by the time you get to them trying to separate Tsukihime and F/SN, or F/SN and Zero, separating them just causes more inconsistencies. Those works were made before the time they started spinning off alternate timelines with Extra, were written to be consistent, and have enough references to each other that trying to separate them after the fact just makes more inconsistencies than the ones they're trying to fix.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Ciel was born to a normal family, but she had enormous magic potential, it’s why Roa chose her as a host. I strongly disagree that having all of the Nasuverse be one timeline would in any way make it better, it’s also far more limiting from a writing perspective with what Nasu wants to do with his stories

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Plus one of the Tsukihime characters did show up in Fate completely different because of the whole "Dead apostles aren't a thing here" difference.

That character was completely different compared to their Tsukihime counterpart so it probably is just two different universes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Dead Apostles show up in F/Z

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

These are CYOA games with radically different outcomes so they can't really exist on a single timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Plus one of the Tsukihime characters did show up in Fate completely different because of the whole "Dead apostles aren't a thing here" difference.

That character was completely different compared to their Tsukihime counterpart so it probably is just two different universes.

Zelretch is the same zelretch he is in tsukihime because you know there's only one.