Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
also Cabin in the Woods is basically a baby boomer complaining about millennials and their avocado toast, but for horror

it sucks, and sucks in particular because of how thoroughly the film's actual execution undermines its own nominal message

e: the one thing it got right was casting Sigourney Weaver as the ultimate (and most sincere) representative of "what if we just kept doing what we've been doing?" because she's symbolically standing in for the Alien series in that scene, which is genuinely clever in light of the fact that Resurrection also sucks

but somehow I doubt that aspect of it was intentional :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Windows 98 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97x2y1Ks2tk

It should be a crime for YouTube to compress this to 480p after I went through so much trouble getting a european sourced 576p copy. It completely loses all the detail in YouTube compression. Anyway, it may look marginally better than other copies on YouTube.

If you have a Vimeo account I think you can upload it as 540p if that helps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Assuming you're talking about the bike jump scene, I bet that's even more effective today for someone who hasn't seen the movie because they'd be even more certain that Hemsworth wasn't going to die right there.

I think you'd have to be a special kind of stupid to be certain of that, because the movie had already explicitly shown what was going to happen.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
American Beauty is a comedy

Fart City posted:

My biggest gripe with Cabin In The Woods is that the B plot of the behind-the-scenes bureaucracy of the facility and the engineers is way more interesting than the survivors plot, and every time it jumps back and forth it degrades the momentum.

I’d like to see it rearranged so it does the entire survivor’s plot up until the jump scene, then does all the facility stuff, then goes from there

I dig the idea of formulaic slasher movies as a pseudo-religious ritual

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also Cabin in the Woods is basically a baby boomer complaining about millennials and their avocado toast, but for horror

it sucks, and sucks in particular because of how thoroughly the film's actual execution undermines its own nominal message

e: the one thing it got right was casting Sigourney Weaver as the ultimate (and most sincere) representative of "what if we just kept doing what we've been doing?" because she's symbolically standing in for the Alien series in that scene, which is genuinely clever in light of the fact that Resurrection also sucks

but somehow I doubt that aspect of it was intentional :v:
I've always wondered if that cameo was originally intended for Jamie Lee Curtis

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cabin in the Woods is fine, and the scenes with Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford are good, even

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yea its not the worst movie in the world, and the scenes with them as jut two blue collar dudes dealing with bullshit should have been the foucs.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Yeah, the real best form of CitW would be an short-film length edit where it's exclusively all the office comedy bits, and then go straight to credits when Richard Jenkins gets eaten. You lose almost nothing by dropping the A plot entirely, as long as you keep That Scene.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It was alright, but I went in knowing about the facility of monsters and was disappointed when 95% of the movie was just zombies. It wasn't good that I deeply felt the guy rooting for mermen

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Did anyone catch that 2017 Aussie horror "Killing Ground"? Made me wake up my 4yo to give him a hug...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I appreciate that Cabin in the Woods went for the nihilistic ending.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Cabin in the Woods was fun to watch. That’s about all I base my opinion on for movies. If it’s the shittiest made movie ever but fun to watch then I will have a positive opinion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's....really far from the impression I got from it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It’s a bit of fun but doesn’t really give you much to look at, apart from the System Purge scene.

I think it would be a better D&D campaign than a movie though

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Pomp posted:

It was alright, but I went in knowing about the facility of monsters and was disappointed when 95% of the movie was just zombies. It wasn't good that I deeply felt the guy rooting for mermen

That’s maybe the biggest issue with it: the untapped potential. Like there’s is a really top-tier amazing movie just set on the facility-side of things, breakout included. But the movie seems compelled to still function in form as the thing it is serving as commentary on, and it just gets muddled in the process.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’d like someone to make a meta horror movie where there’s lots of scenes inside of cars but every one is filmed from that low angle driver’s side shot that they always do right before the car gets horrifically t-boned, but never have an accident actually happen. Also there could be a bunch of scenes where people wash their face in front of a mirror, and when they lift their head there’s a musical sting but nothing scary is ever behind them. Working title could be Edging or Edge Lords or something like that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I’d like someone to make a meta horror movie where there’s lots of scenes inside of cars but every one is filmed from that low angle driver’s side shot that they always do right before the car gets horrifically t-boned, but never have an accident actually happen. Also there could be a bunch of scenes where people wash their face in front of a mirror, and when they lift their head there’s a musical sting but nothing scary is ever behind them. Working title could be Edging or Edge Lords or something like that.

Mel Brooks kinda did this with High Anxiety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrtPz_ziwds

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
High Anxiety is like 40% of a good movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This weekend is a super blood wolf moon

Fire up your werewolf flicks

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7s8ZFiwKfk

Ok I promise this will be the last time I post this before the actual video is complete. I just wanted an opinion, do the up-scaled clips (576p->1080p) look like poo poo? Or do they look decent. I just don't want to waste my time putting them all in only to have everyone think they look awful and I should've come up with another solution.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Mel Brooks kinda did this with High Anxiety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrtPz_ziwds

Oh yeah, almost completely forgot about that. Still doesn’t have the car wreck shot though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

I appreciate that Cabin in the Woods went for the nihilistic ending.

That's one good thing about it. The other is that the Pinhead knockoff is called Eroticus, Lord of Bondage and Pain, which always makes me chuckle because Clive Barker really needs sending up sometimes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

a meta horror movie where james wan and jason blum wake up in the room from the first saw movie with their legs chained to the wall and billy the puppet shows up on a screen but its 2 hours of me yelling at them about how much they suck through billy the puppet then they die

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

weekly font posted:

The Boondock Saints is Donnie Darko for people who have screamed a racial slur at a TV while a sports game was on.

Nah, Donnie Darko actually looks like someone on the crew knew how to hold a camera.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Nah, Donnie Darko actually looks like someone on the crew knew how to hold a camera.

I always meant to watch that Overnight documentary about the making of it but never got around to it. Apparently it’s mostly about how the creator is an insane prick.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1086332668483035136

This is pretty cool of them, and it just got moved up by one day so it's not like a significant delay or anything.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Uh... is there some kind of connection between HDD and Parkland? Because they're not just changing the date, they pulled the movie from that area as a whole (including areas around Parkland) and aren't even showing ads for it there.

That seems genuinely over-the-top.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Uh... is there some kind of connection between HDD and Parkland? Because they're not just changing the date, they pulled the movie from that area as a whole (including areas around Parkland) and aren't even showing ads for it there.

That seems genuinely over-the-top.
I guess just because it's called Happy Death Day and it's set on a school campus and it's coming out on the first anniversary of the Parkland shooting, so it's taunting people in that market who are trying to heal.

IIRC there wasn't any kind of school shooting scene in the first one. Not sure if there is in the 2nd one.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I get it, but I'd be pissed if I lived in the area and was looking forward to seeing it. Changing the date and cancelling the advertising in that area is cool though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

gey muckle mowser posted:

I get it, but I'd be pissed if I lived in the area and was looking forward to seeing it. Changing the date and cancelling the advertising in that area is cool though.

It's not like they pulled the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And it’s just one day, and just a movie.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
unless I'm reading it wrong, they did pull the movie:

"Additionally, the studio has decided not to show the film in Parkland and the surrounding areas. "

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's not like they pulled the movie.

they actually did, though, that's why I'm kind of going :wtc:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Donnie Darko is good and I've refused to watch it since the directors cut came out because it's so loving bad it makes me question if it was ever good

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, you can see the movie on demand if you really want to, no?

I dunno, I think if I was putting my own interest in watching a movie above how it reasonably affects grieving people I'd have to step back and check out my priorities. Sometimes some people's wants get put over others'. That's life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No you wouldn’t be able to watch it on demand, at least for a few months

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's more about the marketing than anything else. I can understand in that area not wanting to walk around the week of the anniversary of the shooting and seeing marketing stuff that says "Happy Death Day" with the date of the shooting underneath.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I have seen the face of horror

https://twitter.com/rvlsco/status/1086060565749936129

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s what my timelines look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005