Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm down for Talking of the Hill. I think their going to miss a ton of the best episodes if they just do season 1 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I'm very happy to see Bob remembered the series name I suggested like a year ago on Twitter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm down for Talking of the Hill. I think their going to miss a ton of the best episodes if they just do season 1 though.

I was really disappointed they only did 1 season of Futurama

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
King of the Hill is better than Futurama, as a whole.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

King of the Hill is better than Futurama, as a whole.

Slander. Pure slander. KotH is like a 9.5 but Futurama has episodes that are well into the 'best thing to ever air on television' realm. Just because Futurama has a few bad episodes, mostly in the Comedy Central years, doesn't make its heights any less immense.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i know futurama has a bunch of math and science background gags i dont get or dont even notice and its why id like a ts treatment of the whole series. or at least the original run of it.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

I was really disappointed they only did 1 season of Futurama

Because there's only two of us, we really only have the bandwidth to do one 13-episode mini-series a year on top of two weekly podcasts and a lot of bonus stuff (and Retronauts for me). And even then, we're stretched incredibly thin. Futurama won't be included in the 2019 mini-series poll so other shows can have a chance, but it'll be in the running again after that--which may be this year if we hit 11k and unlock a second annual mini-series. (At which point we can afford to outsource some editing.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Apoplexy posted:

Slander. Pure slander. KotH is like a 9.5 but Futurama has episodes that are well into the 'best thing to ever air on television' realm. Just because Futurama has a few bad episodes, mostly in the Comedy Central years, doesn't make its heights any less immense.

Futurama has higher peaks and lower valleys, that's why I said "as a whole".

Excited for the poll!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What's the worst episode of KotH and Futurama?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What's the worst episode of KotH and Futurama?

Worst KotH is the one the one where Bobby tries to do a school carnival and somehow it turns into a giant episode about how white guilt is evil and forced on poor innocent kids who never even thought about race before some WACKY LIB came in and confused them. Maybe tied with the one where Strickland hires the junkie and the DUMB GOVERNMENT won't let him...fire the junkie? That thing that happens all the time? Basically the episodes where Judge just got to puke his libertarian screed with no jokes.

Futurama's worst is the one where Leela and Zapp are adam and eve for some reason and just nothing funny or good happens. Or, hot take, Jurassic Bark is cheap emotional manipulation on the level of poo poo like A Dog's Purpose where it's just 'yea no poo poo if you show me a dog suffering I'll be sad because I'm not a sociopath', but at least that one had good jokes like the repeating gag of people trying to gently caress with hot lava ending with Farnsworth just shouting "PROFESSOR. LAVA. HOT!!!!"

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 11, 2019

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Attack of the Killer App is easily the worst futurama episode by a wide margin

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Futurama's worst is the one where Leela and Zapp are adam and eve for some reason and just nothing funny or good happens. Or, hot take, Jurassic Bark is cheap emotional manipulation on the level of poo poo like A Dog's Purpose where it's just 'yea no poo poo if you show me a dog suffering I'll be sad because I'm not a sociopath', but at least that one had good jokes like the repeating gag of people trying to gently caress with hot lava ending with Farnsworth just shouting "PROFESSOR. LAVA. HOT!!!!"

Jurassic Bark is indeed a bad episode, and you've listed the only memorable joke. I'd pick the genderswap episode from the later seasons, but there's at least some good weirdness in there, and choosing a later season feels like cheating.

I hate the KotH episode where Bobby takes love advice from Bill and humiliates himself by dressing as Cupid.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Jurassic Bark is indeed a bad episode, and you've listed the only memorable joke. I'd pick the genderswap episode from the later seasons, but there's at least some good weirdness in there, and choosing a later season feels like cheating.

ROBO-PUPPY RECEIVING PETTING

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
KotH has a LOT of terrible late season episodes where the Theatrical Liberal Strawman of the week strolls into Arlen and causes problems until only Hank can fix things with Common Sense™.

My least favorite Futurama is A Pharaoh to Remember, because it's got some lazy "hurrrrrrrr religion" jokes mixed with the rare appearance of Jerkass Bender. I know he's always something of a jerkass, but for that episode they take away the charm of his character and just make him a relentless bastard to move the (lame) plot along. (I thought the Comedy Central seasons were pretty good.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

bobservo posted:

Because there's only two of us, we really only have the bandwidth to do one 13-episode mini-series a year on top of two weekly podcasts and a lot of bonus stuff (and Retronauts for me). And even then, we're stretched incredibly thin. Futurama won't be included in the 2019 mini-series poll so other shows can have a chance, but it'll be in the running again after that--which may be this year if we hit 11k and unlock a second annual mini-series. (At which point we can afford to outsource some editing.)

It's totally reasonable, I just have unreasonable expectations

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jurassic Bark is bad, but to me the most offensive version of it is the end of the episode "Lethal Inspection" where they are so obviously trying to make you feel twee feelings that it makes my teef hurt.

There are definitely some bad late season KOTH episodes but not that many.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 11, 2019

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

bobservo posted:

I guess training a bird to edit a podcast would cost quite a bit of money

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

There are definitely some bad late season KOTH episodes but not that many.

The only one I can think of that's TRULY awful is the "ZZ Top shows up and Hank is now related to them" episode.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The worst KOTH is the one where Bobby's getting a career as a model and Hank is right to be upset because people will make fun of him.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

The worst KOTH is the one where Bobby's getting a career as a model and Hank is right to be upset because people will make fun of him.

No that's an excellent episode.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

dovetaile posted:

No that's an excellent episode.

The message is "give the worst assholes a veto on what you do in your life" and that's a pretty bad lesson.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I love Futurama and I've never really watched King of the Hill, but man there are a lot of bad Futurama episodes.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cockblocktopus posted:

I love Futurama and I've never really watched King of the Hill, but man there are a lot of bad Futurama episodes.

Yeah, and most have the same thing in common. They ratchet up a character trait (sometimes one that hasn't existed before) to an unfunny degree and then hang the plot off that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bobservo posted:

The only one I can think of that's TRULY awful is the "ZZ Top shows up and Hank is now related to them" episode.

Yeah that’s a weak one, but does have the joke about Hank still being mortified about going to work on the day Tom Landry died.

I’d say all time worst was Dale to the Chief. Hank’s driver’s license says female, it’s an abomination a man could be considered a woman, Dale’s character arc is abandoned now he loves the government with many dated early Bush era references, and boy doesn’t everyone dislike the DMV?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah that’s a weak one, but does have the joke about Hank still being mortified about going to work on the day Tom Landry died.

I’d say all time worst was Dale to the Chief. Hank’s driver’s license says female, it’s an abomination a man could be considered a woman, Dale’s character arc is abandoned now he loves the government with many dated early Bush era references, and boy doesn’t everyone dislike the DMV?

It's been a bit but I thought most of the jokes there about Hank's thing was how flipped out Hank was about it while most people were all 'yea that sucks man but you can fix it'.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

sexpig by night posted:

It's been a bit but I thought most of the jokes there about Hank's thing was how flipped out Hank was about it while most people were all 'yea that sucks man but you can fix it'.
It has the scene of Hank at the doctor office:

Doctor: “Look, I am willing to do a blood test and a genetic screening. That is proof positive and not actionable.”

Hank: Can't you just do a, you know visual exam?”

Doctor: “Gender is not as cut and dried as it used to be, Mr. Hill. Even if you have male organs, there's transsexual hormone therapy, plastic surgery.”

Hank: “Can't you tell the difference between the ones made by God and ones jerry-rigged out of a toe and some old skin?

Doctor: “Legally, no.”

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Rashomon episode where they become volunteer firemen and burn down the firehouse and Boomhauer perceives everybody as talking like him while he speaks with perfect election and eloquence? One of the absolute standouts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

The Rashomon episode where they become volunteer firemen and burn down the firehouse and Boomhauer perceives everybody as talking like him while he speaks with perfect election and eloquence? One of the absolute standouts.

that's just one of the best tv episodes in general.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love the episode where Khan turns into a redneck.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Any of the overtly political later season KOTH episodes were awful in their own way, because the early-mid 2000's were just a garbage time to be alive, but their issues seem almost quaint compared to the issues of today.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It has the scene of Hank at the doctor office:

Doctor: “Look, I am willing to do a blood test and a genetic screening. That is proof positive and not actionable.”

Hank: Can't you just do a, you know visual exam?”

Doctor: “Gender is not as cut and dried as it used to be, Mr. Hill. Even if you have male organs, there's transsexual hormone therapy, plastic surgery.”

Hank: “Can't you tell the difference between the ones made by God and ones jerry-rigged out of a toe and some old skin?

Doctor: “Legally, no.”

Line of the show?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I was thinking of the ep the other day where Hank meets a guy just like him and they become best friends and everyone else gets jealous. That's a really great episode.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

voting for the next mini-series is up on the patreon; koth is clearly going to win but all the real cool people know to vote for mission hill

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Figured I might as well post this somewhere:

I checked out this podcast a year or so ago when Matt from Super Best FriendCast guested, had an enjoyable time but I didn't commit. Then you brought in Rebecca Sugar and I decided I needed another podcast in my life that I could just download random episodes of. Started downloading by guests for a little while, then I switched to downloading by Simpsons episodes I remembered. At some point I started wondering why this Chris guy was so often a guest, and why the ads were different, but I did a half-assed job paying attention, as per the american way. Eventually I realized it used to be a 3-man show, and then after a month I looked into it and I'm only slightly less confused, but whatever.

Anyway, a slightly more interesting story about listening to this podcast:

As a Mexican fan, I saw a lot of the early simpsons in spanish. So when I remember Brother From Another Planet, I remembered it with two unrelated voice actors. In my highschool years, some random cable channel I got ran Frasier reruns in English so I got to enjoy those a ton. Listening to your episode on Brother From Another Planet, my mind was blown that those characters were *just* Frasier and Niles, and even though I could remember the episode clear as day in my head, whenever the clips played, I could only imagine Frasier and Niles acting out those scenes rather than any animation. It was freaky and amazing to have such an old episode recontextualized so hard.

Keep up the good work, Bob!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Bob, I'm really glad you guys had Stephen Sajdak on again. I don't listen to a lot of podcasts but decided to check out We Hate Movies after you mentioned dying listening to their Cat in the Hat review, and this is absolute gold.

e: Oh and this episode was really good too, obviously :v:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mission Hill loving sucks and I'm glad it's going to lose. May as well do Undergrads, yeech.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I've thus far put off the Talking Simpsons Patreon but I'll get on it for TalKing. I really enjoyed the pilot ep in place of this week's TS episode.

Mission Hill loving sucks and I'm glad it's going to lose. May as well do Undergrads, yeech.

Hey man, it may have its flaws but Mission Hill was a very distinct show for a very distinct point in time. It was potential that went unfulfilled!

I saw a bunch of "Undergrads: The Movie" Kickstarter stickers around my town recently and thought "This is a college town...and the kids who are currently freshman were maybe not even born when this turd aired. Who is pushing for this?"

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 19, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Disappointed in y'all for not supporting Duckman. Cornfed is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I voted for cowboy bebop, The Only Good Anime