Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm starting to think I should replay RE2 and play RE3 this weekend. Both are installed on my PSTV and all this chatter has me curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

I'm starting to think I should replay RE2 and play RE3 this weekend. Both are installed on my PSTV and all this chatter has me curious.

Theyre not super long for a first time, and youll probably want to do them right now cause once RE2make drops theyre probably gonna be a lot harder to go back to

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm playing ReREmake for the first time to get hyped up about REmake 2. While the inventory situation is infuriating me, there's just something about the game that's keeping me pinned in for hours at a time. Maybe it's because making my way to a room with both a typewriter and storage box takes hours.

Also, realizing I have no idea who Tyrant/Mr. X is makes me wonder if I actually ever finished the original RE2, and now I'm even more hyped.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Skanker posted:

Have I been playing RE3 wrong all these years? I thought you're supposed to mix 1x A gunpowder to get enhanced pistol ammo earlier? Like AA or AAA mixes don't count towards your, uh, mix EXP? Does BBA count for the same thing but with more use? This is loving me up!

I believe mixing using the other combinations (AA, AAA, and BBA for pistol, and of course BB, BBB, and AAB for shotgun) counts as 'one' mix for the formula for determining making extra ammo or counting towards the enhanced ammo. I'm not sure off the top of my head (as I rarely make pistol or shotgun ammo) but I think it's a set number (5-7) of making ammo to get the enhanced stuff. Once you have the enhanced ammo, though, feel free to use the more advanced recipes for making more of it.

Wanderer posted:

I always used freeze rounds. He'll juke a shot occasionally, but you can make them by combining C+C, or C with any burst rounds you happen to find out in the world. Magnum bullets are C+C+C.

I think we might have discussed this before earlier in the thread. I've tried it, and it might just be my own bad luck but when I'm fighting Nemesis he seems to dodge about a third of my grenades at range (and up close I'll generally get clocked in the reload animation). That said, some of my earlier complaints about freeze grenades were unfounded: it seems like they go as fast if not a little faster than the magnum rounds. And it will put him down in less rounds (assuming no misses).

I'd still go magnum ammo personally, because it's generally a one shot kill against almost all the monsters (maybe two shots versus hunters), as opposed to the guessing games with what grenade rounds work best for each enemy. I mean generally speaking they're powerful against all enemies, but I personally feel kind of dumb and like I'm wasting ammo when I use a round that doesn't work well against the enemy (acid for zombies, for instance).

Though really you only need to make like two loads of magnum ammo to carry you through the game (48 rounds in total, plus the two magnum ammo spawns and the bullets in the gun making 66 rounds total), so you can make one early on (either using the early powders or the triple powders from the gas station/substation/Umbrella office) and then make one at the Clock tower, while still having powders for other ammo (like freeze rounds).

(also, does anyone know if making multiple grenades rounds gets you more ammo? Making magnum rounds all the times you can will get you 27 instead of 24 for the third and fourth times, but I'm not sure about grenade rounds. It's definitely a lot easier to use the various regular grenade round spawns found in the game and powder to make custom rounds, so I've never actually made just regular grenade rounds or custom rounds that way.)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Dewgy posted:

"drat, RE3's giving me a gently caress-ton of ammo! I'm invincible!"

*Nemesis shows up, owns me immediately*

"Hmmmm..." :thunk:

I'm picturing it going like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXW02XmBGQw

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
If you have RE2 on N64, so that it's not :files:, the Dolphin emulator has hi-res texture packs... N64 has skippable cutscenes, new modes (including an easy mode that starts you with infinite chaingun if you really just want to see the story). Keep in mind that Re2 is a much shorter game than you remember. And very, very straightforward. I still occasionally get lost in the mansion in the REmake, but the way the police station is set up is... so brief. People dipping out because of spoilers on a decades old game full of complete genre tropes is kinda funny, but I presume some of the story elements will be beefed up.

Seriously go play it. I think you can probably clear it in 4-6 hours.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Any good recommendations for a good RE3 LP?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Remember when it comes to obtaining the handgun from Nemesis you can acquire it via two live selection events. If you [hide in the kitchen] when he shows up during your first meeting with Carlos, and later [use the cord] when he confronts you on the clock tower balcony later on, both selections will take him out and allow you to pick up the parts for the Eagle 6.0 without burning through your ammo. Presumably if you have previously defeated him the selection choices will provide the next reward in line.

The boss fights are a lot harder than in RE2 I have to say. The Gravedigger wasn’t so bad but the first mandatory fight with Nemesis was quite tricky due to his speed and relatively confined space. Just about to have the second mandatory fight in the dead factory, I’ll see if this one is as hard as I remember.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

el oso posted:

This but with RE2. And if anyone’s wondering the best RE4 LP is Freelance Astronauts all the way.

Edit: the RE4 speed run by LetsGetPitted is good too

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Coffee And Pie posted:

This but with RE2. And if anyone’s wondering the best RE4 LP is Freelance Astronauts all the way.

Stupid question but I'm vaguely interested in seeing some high level Mercs / Raid mode play, any recommendations?

If there's any truth to that rumour about the new arrange / roguelike mode in RE2...

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Coffee And Pie posted:

This but with RE2.

Supergreatfriend has been playing it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ynTw-VvLTc

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Anyone gotten out of bounds with the RE2 demo?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Maggy posted:

Anyone gotten out of bounds with the RE2 demo?

Yea but capcom finally figured out how to do proper demo slices so theres not much to see.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

el oso posted:

It may be an old screenshot LP instead of video, but The Dark Id's LP's are still great https://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-2-and-3/

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Capcom went pretty all out with the RE2 booth at PAX South

There was more inside but gently caress waiting in line 2 hours for a game that releases next week.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Why do zombies always eat the legs and guts but leave that juicy and succulent upper torso. Is it the ribs? The ribs must be harder to get through.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Hard to believe this time next week we will be playing this drat thing

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just want to see how Mr. X deals with every random monster he comes across, Zombies sure they seem to ignore him and he swats them aside as necessary but what if he starts clomping around a licker? Does Willy B start chasing you in a similar way? I can't wait.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Spiffster posted:

Im poor :(

But I'll get there eventually

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
My computer is a potato.... Pretty sure I can manage the game but I'll have to utterly tank my graphics. Sad-making.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiffster posted:

I’m gonna borrow an Xbox One X just to play it. Red Dead Redemption 2 let me down but I don’t think this will.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Capcom really is doing much better lately!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 19, 2019

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Kibayasu posted:

Why do zombies always eat the legs and guts but leave that juicy and succulent upper torso. Is it the ribs? The ribs must be harder to get through.

Have you ever eaten ribs? They don't have the dexterity to floss anymore.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

el oso posted:

Coffee And Pie posted:

I personally have always loved DO IT TO IT and friends LP of RE1-CVX.
https://archive.org/details/LP_Resident_Evil_123_CVX

I was there in the thread when it was going on and I still watch it to this day.

But man, Freelance Astronauts'0 LP of RE4.... That was one of the first LP's that brought me to SA. I need to re-watch it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

What happened to the Freelance Astronauts anyway? Did they just grow up and get jobs? I'm not a fan of LPs at all but I enjoyed them a lot back in the day.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gorn Myson posted:

What happened to the Freelance Astronauts anyway? Did they just grow up and get jobs? I'm not a fan of LPs at all but I enjoyed them a lot back in the day.

They were how I found SA, their old GTA: Vice City video. And I guess so, I think a few members of the old Doc Roosevelt gang still stream occasionally. It must be weird to grave gotten out of the LP thing just before it went mainstream

While we’re talking about it, the RunButton LP of 7 is...fine

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played the demo and I'm pumped. I love how tense and stupid these games are at the same time. Like I encounter some spooky zombie trying to eat my flesh and all Leon has to say is "Jesus..." like he just stubbed his toe.

The demo reminded me of how huge an RE fan I once was. Actually started with REmake on GC, then went back and played them all.

But after 5 came out, I just kind of stopped. Sounds like I should try 7 after I finish (and presumably enjoy) 2.

I really wouldn't mind if the late 90s/early 2000s style of short, highly polished games meant to be played through multiple times makes a return.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

More or less, yeah. :v:

By the end of the game he gets way easier to dodge though. And omg I’ve beaten every numbered Resident Evil now. :psyduck:

Except zero, which I don’t think really counts. Next is CV I guess.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Coffee And Pie posted:

They were how I found SA, their old GTA: Vice City video. And I guess so, I think a few members of the old Doc Roosevelt gang still stream occasionally. It must be weird to grave gotten out of the LP thing just before it went mainstream

While we’re talking about it, the RunButton LP of 7 is...fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekLxc7S0-C0

Basically they all moved away from each other and Life made getting together to record a pain.

And speaking of the Roosevelt Crew, I got in touch with Rirse to see about uploading all the old Harry Potter LP stuff. I hope that will happen soon but in the meantime, in case you didn't know, he has a lot of their old content on his channel like Mafia, BloodRayne, True Crime, etc.:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RirseDeBlood

It's so weird to look back at some of these videos, ten years old at the most, and to realize how much things have changed. You won't see an LP nowadays that liberally uses the R-Word, F-word or even the N-bomb at times. It was truly a different era, sorta the Wild West of LP'ing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 20, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Replaying RE7 for the first time in 2 years and have forgotten everything. Currently stuck in a dark crawl space during a VHS flashback and can't get out. Game is fun as hell but wish there was a pause menu that outlines the controls so I can get adjusted again.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Versus the Yellow Lantern? I think you just crawl until a sequence triggers.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm torn on wanting to get the RE2make on release day. Loved the demo and I love the police station portions of RE2 but I really hate when it hits the sewers (in all games, really - gently caress sewer levels forever) so the last half of the game with the sewers/labs always felt like a slog to get through.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

el oso posted:

I'm torn on wanting to get the RE2make on release day. Loved the demo and I love the police station portions of RE2 but I really hate when it hits the sewers (in all games, really - gently caress sewer levels forever) so the last half of the game with the sewers/labs always felt like a slog to get through.

I'm kind of hoping there's a major curveball in the latter half and we get taken somewhere new.

I need review embargo dates but I have no idea when they drop.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I would count on there not only being new areas, but also drastically reworked versions of those existing ones.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

man nurse posted:

I would count on there not only being new areas, but also drastically reworked versions of those existing ones.

They've already confirmed an entirely new area in the orphanage.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DLC Inc posted:

I'm kind of hoping there's a major curveball in the latter half and we get taken somewhere new.

I need review embargo dates but I have no idea when they drop.

Mine is up on the 22nd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Mine is up on the 22nd.

Same. That's the date unless someone posts early.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am replaying RE5 because my eldest son has gotten into playing RE games. He started with Resident Evil Revelations 2 episode 1, which I think I got for free, and finally convinced me to get the rest, and we co-op an episode or two basically every day at this point. For a change of pace, I thought, "Hey, I really liked RE5 back in the day. I wonder if my son will like it. At least then we'll both have guns instead of one of us having to stick to throwing bricks."

And he's been having a blast. He loves stabbing monsters instead of using his guns unless I ask him really nicely to please shoot the things trying to eat us and he's starting to go for the melee moves like roundhouse kicks. It's been fun for me too, but also kind of stressful: Even on Amateur, enemies will do so much damage, so trying to keep him alive while he's playing is a handicap that forces me into situations I wouldn't get into playing on my own or with an adult partner.

Besides that, it's been fun to revisit. Each stage I'll be asking myself "Oh god how did this go? I remember this had some crazy poo poo in it." And then the moment will come where I go "Oh there it is!" Like the giant enemy crab fight. And the horrible instant death bugs.

I will say I'd forgotten how obnoxious the inventory juggling in that game could get. Revelations 2 lets you trade and drop equipment--actually put down on the ground to pick up later, rather than discard--from everywhere unless you are specifically separated by a barrier, such as being on two different levels of an arena. It's a huge convenience, on top of the comparatively generous inventory spaces. RE5 having just 9 squares to work per character is much more spartan in comparison, and it's harder to juggle equipment and ammo, especially since you have to be standing right next to each other.

However, my son says he likes it much better than RE4, which he's played recently on my 360, because he doesn't like how RE4 controls. It's too stiff for him after his time with more modern games. Because I can play RE5 with him and help, the relative stiffness doesn't stick out as much, so he doesn't notice. Maybe after we've played enough of RE5, he'll get used to the similarities and open up to RE4.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How old is your son?

I was loving around with RE7 (the early Guest House parts) with my 8 year old. Just showing the spooky disgusting house before any real poo poo jumps off and he literally pissed his pants and noped out when the girlfriend first jumped out at me. It was hilarious but definitely time to shut it off and wait til he's older.

He had a little pee stain on his jeans and was all "nuh-uh".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My boy turns eight in April. He loves the excitement, but in RE:R2 he got really emotional when we accidentally got the "worst possible outcome." I'll be interested to see how he reacts to RE2 remake since I preordered that at the same time I got our new copy of RE5.