Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zero tolerance for any type of fighting/aggression. Both parties must be punished with a minimum of a suspension regardless of the circumstances.

I once caught a 3 day suspension for shoving a bully off of me while he was punching me in the head over and over again. Even the principal said it was a dumb rule, but nobody questions dumb rules for some reason.

I substitute teach and was ordered to write up a boy in 4th grade for "attacking" a girl who was repeatedly slapping him across the face (she's a notoriously cruel bully to anyone smaller/weaker than her) because he finally screamed at her in a primal rage and held his fist up, causing her to step back and fall down (all without him touching her).

Anywho, what are some of the dumb rules from when you were in school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
Sixth formers can be given detention and have to come in for the full day regardless of their timetable.

This is why I don't have A Levels.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
One time half the boys in my class were rounded up at recess, including me, when one of them confessed to "balltapping"

So I had to spend 5 minutes in the math teacher's room thumbing through the pocket bible until the teacher realized that the future goon would conceivably never do such rowdy and unruly activities with the other guys a little way too into sports so I was let go eventually.

Also if you hosed up in the history class you were forced to do long subtraction of a number like 15,000 minus 15 to zero with proof of every work/step involved and if you messed up that you had to start all over again.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
all of my heartfelt stories got middling grades and noone seemed to understand what i was going for but my tossed off last minute bullshit got seven+ pages of responses top marks and the teacher read it out in class

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
If you dont have a degree youre hosed

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
penis inspection day was bullshit, but at least I always got a passing grade there so that's always nice

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I went to a private school so we got "demerits" that meant literally nothing. if they caught you with coke, like my one friend was caught with CONSTANTLY, they called your parents. that parent would write a check. whether there were any other consequences, :shrug:

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

I went to a private school so we got "demerits" that meant literally nothing. if they caught you with coke, like my one friend was caught with CONSTANTLY, they called your parents. that parent would write a check. whether there were any other consequences, :shrug:

dang, was Pepsi the only cola allowed? or were all soda just forbidden? must suck not being allowed to have a coke now and then...

TUNAFISHING 87
Dec 20, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Creamed Cormp posted:

penis inspection day was bullshit, but at least I always got a passing grade there so that's always nice

They always did First Aid drills, but it was always penis wounds.

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
stupid principal confiscated my bushmaster ar15 gas-powered semi automatic rifle chambered in .223, decked out with punisher branded 100 round magazine, bumpstock, and eotech 512 (night vision ready) holographic optic! they said i "scared the teachers" and "caused a lockdown" and "wounded some classmates".

its fuckin bullshit

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
One time the music t eacher gave me a detention for bringing a pen to class instead of a pencil. Since it was my third detention of the month it got upgraded to a suspension. For using a pen.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I got detention for 2 days in 6th grade for having terrible handwriting. She said I was being disrespectful or something and that was the rule I broke, and she made me practice with those notebooks they give you in like kindergarten to learn how to draw letters the whole time while lecturing me about how I won't be able to get a job without excellent script handwriting.

My handwriting still hasn't improved much to this day and have been told trump's signature is even more legible than mine. Still ended up getting a job, so "have legible handwriting" is a dumb rule.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
do not walk on the grass but what was dumb was that everyone both pupil & staff ignored this rule except for myself and i rigorously stuck to the paved area

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
i had autism/"the dumbs" in certain directions and got yelled at because my music teacher thought my inability to comprehend the notion of "a variation" was me loving with him

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Sorry you're still smarting from this experience that happened at School so long ago your memory of it is hazy OP.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
couldnt bang my teacher :sigh:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Only way to get good grades in pe? Fellating the gym teacher

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

hockey jockey posted:

Sixth formers can be given detention and have to come in for the full day regardless of their timetable.

This is why I don't have A Levels.

Could someone translate this for me?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

couldnt bang my teacher :sigh:

nice try macron we all know it is you

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Drunk Nerds posted:

Could someone translate this for me?

He said "im a dumb limey"

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My school was very insecure about its relatively low-class status compared to other Catholic schools, so was obsessed with matters of appearance: uniform rules in particular. One time I had a teacher literally jump out from behind a wall, catching me with my top button undone. I had just come from p.e so missed it while changing and redoing my tie. They screamed at me about being a disgrace not just to myself but to the entire school, and that I didn't deserve to be there if I am going to drag down the reputation of my peers. Even more common was girls getting grilled for not having their socks up high enough. The problem with that was that the socks in the girl's uniform were of horrible quality, lacking any elastic at all at the top, so would fall down constantly. Teachers always acted like these minor uniform errors were something you were deliberately doing as an act of defiance.

Also: our school had a very large rectangular grassed area at its centre, landscaped so it sat lower than the rest of the terrain and was bordered by kneehigh limestone walls and paths. This area was called "The Avenue" and cut the school almost completely in half, with a chapel and head office at opposite sides of its length and classrooms to either side of the much narrower width. While this looked nice it created some problems. Seeing as it cut the school almost completely in half it would get walked on a lot, causing the grass to die. To stop this it became against the rules to walk on The Avenue for roughly half of each year to regrow the dying areas. This meant that if you had classes on opposite sides of it you would have to circumnavigate the perimeter of the massive rectangle in the five minutes between each class, needing to sprint the great length and narrow width rather than just walking across the narrow portion. The ban on walking on The Avenue generally came in winter, at which point students are dressed in blazers and dress shoes, and there was no cover from rain.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Back when yoyos were a thing you had to keep them in a pouch at all times other than recess. One kid got in trouble cause the pouch he brought was the bag bottles of crown royal come in lol

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
In highschool our school colors were red white and blue but wearing anything red or blue was banned because it meant you were gang affiliated

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Back when yoyos were a thing you had to keep them in a pouch at all times other than recess. One kid got in trouble cause the pouch he brought was the bag bottles of crown royal come in lol

crown bottle bag for a car stick shift cover

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
In college they tried to tell us we couldnt smoke on campus lol eat my shorts dean

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There was a one-legged kid but weren't allowed to bully him :psyduck:

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Nooner posted:

In college they tried to tell us we couldnt smoke on campus lol eat my shorts dean

i had an RA tell me i cant smoke where i was because its against the rules, i was standing next to one of those cigarette butt pillars

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Only two people are allowed in a 6 toilet bathroom at a time. Get stop and frisked on the way in. Anyone with a marker in their pocket gets suspended.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
punishing kids by making them stay home from school

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If a naughty website comes up on a computer your on you get suspended and banned from computers. Writing a bat file to open goatse after 15 minutes and putting that in startup got a bunch of people in trouble. A letter went home to everyone's parents about the website. Yes my high school goatsed every parent. After a few months they figured it out. The pro strat was checking the startup folder cutting the bat file to the C:\ drive reboot and then put it right back in for the next sucker.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Speedboat Jones posted:

Only two people are allowed in a 6 toilet bathroom at a time. Get stop and frisked on the way in. Anyone with a marker in their pocket gets suspended.

but how do you recolor your anus?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

EorayMel posted:

Also if you hosed up in the history class you were forced to do long subtraction of a number like 15,000 minus 15 to zero with proof of every work/step involved and if you messed up that you had to start all over again.

gently caress that poo poo I had an English teacher who would pull that

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

Banning all the cool fads like pogs, slap brackets, laser pointers, etc. Pogs aren't gambling, Mrs. Peterson! :mad:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dreddout posted:

gently caress that poo poo I had an English teacher who would pull that

If you refuse to do dumb bullshit punishment busy work eventually the principal gets involved and yells at the teacher and it all goes away and they are suddenly afraid of you. I think it turned into you have to correct and grade an assignment and it has to count for it to be assigned in the first place.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TUNAFISHING 87 posted:

They always did First Aid drills, but it was always penis wounds.
Just getting you ready for a career in the navy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B076O8-PzH4&t=96s

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My handwriting still hasn't improved much to this day and have been told trump's signature is even more legible than mine. Still ended up getting a job, so "have legible handwriting" is a dumb rule.

Had a nun in forth grade walk around with the broken top part of a wood hanger. If you held the fountain pen improperly she would smack your hand with it will berating you.

My script is pretty good actually. Fountain pens are the superior writing instruments.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Bring back the slap bracelets!

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i and a bunch of friends got 60 minutes detention for having a snowball fight after school. we were in the front schoolyard going home and were therefore 'fighting on school property.' the same lady teacher who did this arbitrarily encouraged a snowball fight a year later (one of my first powerful memories of hypocrisy).

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Having to have a hall pass to go take a piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Kak posted:

Having to have a hall pass to go take a piss

also only having like 5 minutes or whatever crazy short amount of time they gave before they send someone to find you. I know people abuse bathroom passes but come on, don't rush the poop.