Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yesterday was leg day. Lots of squaaaaaats. Managed to do 2@330 then 5@330.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Finally have some time to bench. Let's see what gets done today.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
5,3,3,3,3,1@225

Turns out, watching Jeff Cavalier and taking his tips seriously means some serious gains.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Getting close!

I keep getting concentrated pains in that left arm/armpit so Ive been resting it for a week and will probably only do legs for a couple weeks here. I really don't want to gently caress anything up and I'm 31 so I ain't exactly healing quickly.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm 32, and yeah. That not healing quickly thing sucks. Better than surgery, I guess.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

37, feeling it a bit in my elbows from switching from pushdowns to skullcrushers last week (will try JM presses this week instead), and I woke up this morning feeling like I'm at the beginning of a cold (that certain taste / thickness in your mouth).

Benched anyway, keeping the volume a bit low because I don't think my one deload/recovery week was enough. The flat bench was busy when I got there, so I ended up doing:

Decline bench: 8x225, 8x225
Flat bench: 8x205, 7x205

Had extra reps in me for the first 3 sets, on the last set of flat bench all of a sudden the barbell was hurting my left hand. Almost felt like if you had dropped half of 205 on your hand rather than purposely grabbed it, never had anything like it before and it's still a little sore now, who knows what happened.

Followed it up with cable flyes, cable upright rows, and machine rows.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

QuarkMartial posted:

Turns out, watching Jeff Cavalier and taking his tips seriously means some serious gains.

Anything specific? Seems he has some good videos and makes me want to lift again. I never really have seen gains in the past...many years. Mostly lift the same amounts I have for a bit and probably don't push myself hard enough. Once healed back up I'd like to get back to some sort of consistency, though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
https://youtu.be/vthMCtgVtFw

It was that video. My bench form was bad, really, but it was just off a little bit in a lot of areas. Made sure to watch his video, make some mental notes, then incorporated them into my workout.

Deadlifted 1x405 yesterday, which I've done before, but the difference this time is that it's 60lbs over my bodyweight.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's winter, and the holidays. Hope everyone is staying active and thinking about how this year went and what they want to accomplish next year.

My last bike race was november 3rd, and then it started getting cold and snowy, so I haven't been doing a whole lot since then. Nice to kind of relax for awhile but I've noticed myself getting slightly less skinny and it's probably time to start getting back into exercising regularly. My legs have not been happy about all the lounging around and a couple of attempts to lift weights and pedal hard went poorly. Did ride and lift today and accomplished about what I wanted. I need to buy some skis. Ideally backcountry touring stuff so I can go spend a few hours walking up and then skiing down mountains but I guess some xc skate stuff would be a less expensive (and safer) option.

21f today. But sunny!

An hour is long enough when it's that cold but it's still better than an hour on a stationary trainer inside. Supposed to stay clear and warm up over the next few days so I plan to keep getting out there. A fat bike would be nice too.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 6, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Adiabatic posted:

Getting close!

I keep getting concentrated pains in that left arm/armpit so Ive been resting it for a week and will probably only do legs for a couple weeks here. I really don't want to gently caress anything up and I'm 31 so I ain't exactly healing quickly.

I hear you, and let me tell you it isn't any easier six years down the line.

My knees are nothing but pain and bad noises after leg day.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I am positively decimated.

:toot:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fender Anarchist posted:

I am positively decimated.

:toot:

gently caress yeah!

I'm closing in on 290. Might be there this week or the next.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I was able to squat about 180lbs today for a single rep without too much ankle pain (injured it in early October), so I can probably have a go at a fitness program for the first time in ~2.5 years. I want to get my cardio going first and it's been a minute since I did a sub 30min 5k so I'll probably start there.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Flat benched 215lbs for sets of 8,7,6, then decline benched 205lbs for sets of 8,7,7. My hands still hurt a bit from going heavy on the decline bench last week, not sure what's up with that, and I'm not sure this is an improvement on my bench or not. I usually figure I should take 20lbs off my decline to convert to flat, and last week I decline benched 8 reps of 225, so maybe it's an improvement?

Followed it up with 3 sets of cable fly, 5 sets of cable upright rows, and 3 sets of machine rows. My shoulders / mid-delts feel fried at work now, more so than usual for bench day, so I think it's the cable upright rows. I'm not going heavy on the weight for those (letting my wrist slowly adapt to them) so I easily had 5 sets of 12 with minimal rest between sets, but I guess it may be enough volume to tire the muscles out anyway.

Got another DXA scan next week, but my nutrition has not been great these past few weeks. Mostly decent at work (except now we have shitloads of sweets people have sent us), but a lot of going out on the weekend and at night. I think I can get to the same weight as my last scan by next Thurdsay, but I'll be curious to see how the fat/muscle gain/loss plays out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Still trying to figure out if I like JM presses, did two sets at 105lbs but I felt like my form was poo poo so I did two more at 95lbs. Followed it up with four sets of pushdowns, three sets of very close grip bench press at 160lbs, then some curls and assisted pullups. Triceps are my sticking point on the bench so I'm hoping the JM presses and close grip bench press will help me when I finally start benching 225lbs next week. I only have three more weeks of heavy lifting before I take a deload/recovery week, not sure I'll manage to go from 8x215 to 10x225 that quickly. I suspect not, it's around a 25% increase in total weight moved (reps x weight).

I should probably be close grip benching in the smith machine, much moreso than regular benching I feel like when I hit a wall in CGBP, I'm done. I try to make sure I'm leaving at least a rep in the tank for safety reasons.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Finally went back to the gym yesterday and did some leg day. End of semester poo poo is getting in the way! I promise I'll be better.

In other news my arm doesn't hurt anymore unless I specifically work it out so that's probably a good sign?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Yeah, I've not been this week. Same with end of semester stuff, but at least now I'm waiting on IRB approval for my dissertation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Knocked out an hour plus on the stationary bike. Not bad with a Switch to distract me from how terrible it normally is. But goddamn are the seats on those bikes bad. Maybe I need to stand up and pedal every now and then to prevent my butt from hurting, but I'm wearing freaking bike shorts and it's still awful.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did a full day of supermoto yesterday and got more than enough track time, so I had to skip my workout today. As I got tired my technique went to poo poo, was not great about keeping my elbow up and all that when turning. Today I feel like I benched pressed and did shrugs for 100 sets yesterday, and my hands hurt. May skip tomorrow too, and just bench on Thursday. 10x225 is never coming.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Finally went back to the gym yesterday and did some leg day. End of semester poo poo is getting in the way! I promise I'll be better.

In other news my arm doesn't hurt anymore unless I specifically work it out so that's probably a good sign?

Did bench with no arm hurtin! I'm HEALED!

185x5, 195x5, 205x5, 185x5 just to get back into the swing of things.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hol' up. Why is this thread on the third page? Why is the last post a month ago? Why is the gym crowded as gently caress right now?

Slow start to the year. Did a leg workout last week, wasn't happy with it, so I redid it this week. Unless my schedule fucks up, I'll be doing chest / shoulders on Friday. I received a throwing hammer from my wife for Christmas, so now I can be an official Highland Games athlete and start training for that, too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
11,280kms last year ont he bike

This year so far.... 230. Yeah. Bad start fitness-wise. I'm waaaaaay not great now.

(But I have a wedding and also a destination race to work to now. 160kms back in Victoria BC in August) Training starts now

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Hol' up. Why is this thread on the third page? Why is the last post a month ago? Why is the gym crowded as gently caress right now?

Forgot about the thread but I've been goin hard still amigo!

Next bench is tomorrow. Last bench was a week ago and I was nowhere near 225x10 unfortunately. 135x9, 185x9, 165x8, 155x4. I really dont wanna gently caress myself up again. However I'm now completely healed!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Forgot about the thread but I've been goin hard still amigo!

Next bench is tomorrow. Last bench was a week ago and I was nowhere near 225x10 unfortunately. 135x9, 185x9, 165x8, 155x4. I really dont wanna gently caress myself up again. However I'm now completely healed!

Yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

11,280kms last year ont he bike

This year so far.... 230. Yeah. Bad start fitness-wise. I'm waaaaaay not great now.

(But I have a wedding and also a destination race to work to now. 160kms back in Victoria BC in August) Training starts now

C'mon, you gotta be in good fuckin shape for that wedding.

Yes, I meant the pun.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Currently at 301.6 lbs, it's so loving close i can taste it. C'mon, show me them 200s.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I meant to make a post in here awhile ago but have been fairly lazy and unmotivated now that it's winter.

Last year I rode my bike a lot and racing went fairly well for me. More miles than I've ever done in a year, I was a solid 10-15 lbs lighter, and overall I was pretty happy with that. I had a few results that weren't as good as I would have liked, especially in cyclocross, so that is one of the things that I want to work on next year. I think more drills, some running, and more actual interval workouts will be helpful for that. I was really great at longer sustained efforts and climbing, but I wasn't really ready for the punchy, short hard efforts you need in cross.

The main things I want to do this year are ride as much as I did last year, but also keep lifting weights once or twice a week throughout the year. I got into it last winter and I think it really helped me early on in the season but then I didn't pick up a weight from about march to december. So that needs to change. Also some running and hiking thrown in, and more of a summer break before cross. I wound up riding a lot in july and august and it was fine, I was just going out mostly for fun, but maybe a week of just not riding at all would be useful.

Right now it's winter so I'm mostly running, riding on a stationary trainer, lifting weights, and occasionally cross country skiing but I have to rent and so haven't been getting out with my mtb group every week. I wanted to be doing 10 hours or so of activity every week but am around 5-6 at best right now, so I need to start picking things up a bit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Have my follow up for my collar bone in about 2 weeks, hoping for no restrictions at that point. Left shoulder muscles are very weak compared to the right and still have a little bit of pain with ROM but it's still been improving. Since my whole left arm is generally weaker than my right I've been doing left arm and shoulder only stuff at the gym. Probably looks weird to onlookers but as my motto goes, "gently caress 'em."

In hindsight I would have just had the surgery to plate it and probably should have pushed harder for more formal PT vs. me going to the gym and loving around a couple times a week. Online said "oh it's a 3 month recovery" but I'm going on ~5 now.

Riding stationary bike at the gym rules with a Nintendo Switch. So easy to pile on miles that way. Again, probably look like a huge nerd but gently caress 'em. Easy for ~1 hour sessions without wanting to put a gun in my mouth.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Tomorrow is the last day of my "hypertrophy" mesocycle (to use RP's terms), but this has been my recovery week. My last week of heavy benching ended up with:

BB press : warmup, 5x225, 5x225, 4x225, 4x225
and (different day)
Decline BB bench : warmup, 8x225, 8x225, 7x225, 6x225

Which was actually slightly worse than my week before, so I guess I hit my volume limits. After I finished my decline bench session my rotator cuff was feeling it (tore it years ago), which continued into this week. Was supposed to be benching 6 reps of 155lbs for one of my recovery days but the slightly ghetto, slightly chubby Korean girl who wears minimal clothing was doing deadlifts right in front of the bench so I ended up doing 8 reps of 205lbs for multiple sets and making my shoulder hurt more.

I guess I'm not going to get first to 10x225 on the bench press, I'm starting a 5 week metabolite cycle so I'll be dropping the weight and using 30sec to 1 min rest periods, which I hate. I'm not sure I've ever made it through a whole cycle of that kind of lifting without saying gently caress it and going back to heavier weights and longer rest periods, but my body needs a break anyway so I'll stick with it this time.

I'm around 8 or 9 lbs up from the Thanksgiving to now, which sucks, but I'm pretty sure at least 1lb went to my arms because I've been getting constant comments that they're bigger than ever. Unfortunately I hadn't had to wear a suit and tie since November (casual dress all December), and some of that weight also went to my neck as it sucks to have my top button buttoned now. I'm in a wedding in June so I'm going to run a slightly aggressive weight loss plan, I'll try to get DXA scans every 2 months to at least see how much muscle I lose.

2019 goals: 15 pullups (dead hang between each rep), 15xbodyweight bench.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fender Anarchist posted:

Currently at 301.6 lbs, it's so loving close i can taste it. C'mon, show me them 200s.

https://i.imgur.com/8KbaJdnm.jpg

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Fuuuuck yea nice work!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finally got a 285 on the scale today. Need to start adding more exercise to keep this moving.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Good job! I'm having no luck on the scale this month, just up and down the same couple pounds despite watching what I eat better, but it's too cold to do anything outside and the gym sucks due to crowding so I've been lazy. Going to have to step it up in Feb, as I'm working a team for Run Ranger Run and we have 565 miles to knock out between us in Feb.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Man I can just not get into squatting to save my life. I'd like to do it a lot more so my Utah hiking trip in August goes well, but every time I get 185 lbs on the bar I feel maxed out. I know it's a mental thing. I can do 10 reps of 185. I'm just scared of the bar weight on my shoulders I think.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Maybe try working up front squats or goblets to get past the hump? Or load up on a leg press machine, it'll be way higher than your squat numbers and might get past a confidence trough.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Now down under 270 from 355 and hitting the exercise bike 30 minutes a days 4-5 days a week with weights 2 days a week. Take nothing but stairs when possible at work averaging 10-30 flights each work day.

It's a long process.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Now down under 270 from 355 and hitting the exercise bike 30 minutes a days 4-5 days a week with weights 2 days a week. Take nothing but stairs when possible at work averaging 10-30 flights each work day.

It's a long process.

loving hell, nice.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

IOwnCalculus posted:

loving hell, nice.

Thanks. It wasn't a fast thing, but I don't post often in this thread.

That's been since January of 2017. I'm taking the marathon approach to weight loss. Long haul instead of a sprint. Ultimately I want to be less (or not) fat when the Chevelle is done, may as well look decent in it!

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 1, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's not like any of us jumped up in weight overnight, so yeah that's a good approach.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not like any of us jumped up in weight overnight, so yeah that's a good approach.

Speak for yourself, man, some of us get our best junk food intake during night shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Trip report: almost done with week 3 out of 5 of RP's "metabolic" phase - high reps, 1 min rest period tops, and some supersets. I really didn't like having to drop the weight that much at first, but I've come to appreciate how much quicker my workouts are. Definitely getting DOMS from them so I think they're still doing enough damage to at least keep existing muscle on. Probably not going to help me get to 10x225 bench anytime soon, yesterday I did:

JM press - 4 sets at 65lbs (very easy but sometimes they bother my elbows so I was doing 20+ reps at first)
Rope pushdown superset with pushups - 4 sets, I was surprised how much at suck at pushups when I do them immediately after pushdowns
Bench press - 4 sets at 155 and that was probably still too high a weight
then some hammer curls and pulldowns

Looking forward to their "resensitization" phase where you use your usual 10rm weights.