Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Max Wilco posted:

It is the kind of thing where I feel obligated to play all three games in order. It'd be like if someone told you to start with Mass Effect 2, or Quest for Glory 4; you want to jump right into the good stuff, but it doesn't feel right.

On top of that, I also bought the Witcher 1 (I say this because I remember it was offered for free at one time, and I couldn't remember it that was how I got it), and I try to beat all the games I spend money on.

I was under the impression that your choices in Witcher 1 impacted things in Witcher 2 as well, but maybe that's not the case.

That's fair. To be clear I... sorta... like The Witcher 1 more than 2. Maybe "like" is a less good word than "respect". Witcher 1 is one of those super rough around the edges RPGs which a ton of cool-but-somewhat-obnoxious touches that game series inevitably lose when they get popular and a QA budget (except in really rare cases like MGS). It's just it's a tough game to play your first time in 2019 and it's standard advice to skip it for a reason and I wanted to make sure you didn't think you had to play it if you didn't want to.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

nine-gear crow posted:

So Dan saw Glass the other day and spoiler: he hated it. Also actual spoilers for Glass, but it's kind of universally acknowledged to be a piece of poo poo so I don't think anyone here's gonna see it or care about spoilers for it.

I've been on the fence about whether I want to see it just to laugh at it, so I dunno if I want to watch Dan's video just yet.

edit: Hbomb has guests on. Right now Dan's there and Linkara just popped up. I'm gonna have to listen to the stuff I missed when this gets archived.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 19, 2019

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

That's fair. To be clear I... sorta... like The Witcher 1 more than 2. Maybe "like" is a less good word than "respect". Witcher 1 is one of those super rough around the edges RPGs which a ton of cool-but-somewhat-obnoxious touches that game series inevitably lose when they get popular and a QA budget (except in really rare cases like MGS). It's just it's a tough game to play your first time in 2019 and it's standard advice to skip it for a reason and I wanted to make sure you didn't think you had to play it if you didn't want to.

I just finished the SuperBunnyhop Witcher retrospective someone posted earlier in the thread and it helped clarify why people feel this way. He goes into the ways in which The Witcher plays with fairy tales and pulls out the great line

quote:

What I feel like a lot of people might not notice, and the second game kinda forgot about, and what separates The Witcher from a lot of D&D Forgotten Realms kitsch is that The Witcher is really closer to Shrek than it is Game of Thrones

It made me realize that while I prefer 2's overall commitment to forcing Geralt out of his comfort zone to 3's fanservice it lacks the charm or playfulness of execution that makes the scenarios in 1 and 3 engaging.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

John Murdoch posted:

Ah yes, definitely not something anybody ever recommends for "the only good game Bethesda ever made", Morrowind. :thunk:

not really, no. by a wide margin the mods most recommended are graphical ones, not mods that completely change the way the game works.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Dangersharkz/status/1086436448511741953

I feel like this is relevant to this thread. Thank god someone saved Deus Ex: The Recut, or I don't know what I would do.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well the best game ever made, Fall from Heaven 2, is a mod of Civ4 so I don't see any reason being modded should be held against a game.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/Dangersharkz/status/1086436448511741953

I feel like this is relevant to this thread. Thank god someone saved Deus Ex: The Recut, or I don't know what I would do.

One thing mentioned in those comments that I didn't realise is that Otter Media (owned by AT&T) also own Rooster Teeth. Perhaps that had something to do with it. The disposability of online media...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well the best game ever made, Fall from Heaven 2, is a mod of Civ4 so I don't see any reason being modded should be held against a game.

A mod so good they included it in the official release.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well a prequel to it at least.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speaking of prequels:

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1086565633100263424

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hbomb's last known photo.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

We salute his sacrifice

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
He's made $40,000+ so far and is now featured on PinkNews.

quote:

Others reminded the streamer to drink water and eat food during the stream to avoid death.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Donkey Kong DESTROYS local soyboy with FACTS!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I somewhat liked Glass. It was disappointing storywise that was bordering on a trash fire, but watching McAvoy's and Willis' characters was fun. I also enjoy the setting and how its trying to retain some realism and not go full on comic book weirdness. Willis is super strong and has super stamina, but he's still just an old dude in the end. McAvoy in his Beast form is just loving crazy cannibal roid man. Mister Glass is smart, but not Reed Richards "I'm gonna create a singularity using string cheese and this pencil using science" super smart.

In the end, I felt it was a nice contrast to regular super hero movies. Watching Dan's video and how he describes the scenes, I can totally understand why he dislikes it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kim Justice posted:

One thing mentioned in those comments that I didn't realise is that Otter Media (owned by AT&T) also own Rooster Teeth. Perhaps that had something to do with it. The disposability of online media...

Rooster Teeth has been boring trash since they ran Red Vs Blue into the ground with their all-CGI season. that being said, doesn't Burnie Burns still hold most of the rights to RT? I think they'll be fine. They made craploads of money off of their anime-lite wankfest.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rooster Teeth has been boring trash since they ran Red Vs Blue into the ground with their all-CGI season. that being said, doesn't Burnie Burns still hold most of the rights to RT? I think they'll be fine. They made craploads of money off of their anime-lite wankfest.

Wait, how does "all-cgi" distinguish it from the rest of RvB? Were there live action seasons? Were they filming on location in Halo's Green Hill Zone?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I guess as opposed to captured staged in-engine gameplay.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm guessing too that they'll be fine. It kinda makes sense that rather than have two specific gaming brands on the books, Otter would just have one - and Rooster Teeth is certainly bigger these days.

Here's a Tweet of an article featuring noted gamer Hbomberguy (who apparently isn't even named in it lol)

https://twitter.com/queer_queenie/status/1086655093397585920

He's currently having a little snooze while other folk are chatting and holding the fort and has made $44000 so far :)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

He's named in the first sentence of the article.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

I'm guessing too that they'll be fine. It kinda makes sense that rather than have two specific gaming brands on the books, Otter would just have one - and Rooster Teeth is certainly bigger these days.

Yeah, RT's Kickstarters pulled really good bank because I think their fans are in the 'I'll back whatever!' stage, and Rooster Teeth are even flush to get the likes of David Tennant, Michael B. Jordan and Maisie Williams on their latest CGI sci-fi series thing.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I Before E posted:

He's named in the first sentence of the article.

Whoops, gently caress me for purely going by screencaps :downs:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

Donoteat01 takes a long look at a Boring issue.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Augus posted:

Donkey Kong DESTROYS local soyboy with FACTS!

Someone did tell him that leaving DK64 on without resetting the game/turning the system off and on again/etc. will 100% eventually crash the game after a certain amount of time has passed right? This bug in particular if I recall was the reason for packing the expansion pack with every copy of the game. Even then the pack didn't solve the problem, just lengthened the time allowed until the game crashed. Without the pack it happens a lot sooner I think.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
RIP Best Friends Machinima videos.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Someone did tell him that leaving DK64 on without resetting the game/turning the system off and on again/etc. will 100% eventually crash the game after a certain amount of time has passed right? This bug in particular if I recall was the reason for packing the expansion pack with every copy of the game. Even then the pack didn't solve the problem, just lengthened the time allowed until the game crashed. Without the pack it happens a lot sooner I think.

He's saving regularly. He's also sleeping right now with the game off (but stream going).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will be pissed off about that robot race track till the end of time
FFFFFFUUUUUUUU

That was my "nope, don't give a gently caress anymore" moment of the game where I gave up. I tried a few times with that, trying to interact in a meaningful fashion, before assuming I was missing something, reading online that there's nothing you can do, people just attack you because, and realized at best there was a plan to do something, but they ran out of time on most of the game and just scripted it all as "people shoot you".

That video gets very real at the end. I worry about May because there's clearly a lot she's working through and doing all of that on camera can't be making it any easier.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Jack Saint and Eric Taxxon team up to critically analyse the work of that loser who made a 8 hour long rebuttal to Hbomb's Dark Souls video

Seriously it's just loving Cinema Sins, yet somehow even more inane!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomb needs to do a video on Prometheus. gently caress Star Wars.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

(Leal, your posts about Morrowind have definitely helped kindle that flame.)

If you do wanna do Morrowind, just remember: Its a pen and paper game in 3d. Numbers are important, you should pay for training your stats early on and stamina is uber important. Its so important, when paying an NPC to enchant something an item that is 21k can cost 17k if you just rest beforehand :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Solitair posted:

Yeah this is what I actually care about from the Machinima being assholes news.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Does everyone go through life with some secret nemesis harboring a grudge for years, or is that something that only happens when you're internet famous?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solitair posted:

Thankfully the fandom has saved all of them and is already releasing compilations of the best moments.

This is good and explains those stupid Mauler videos without me having to ever click on one, so thanks!

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 19, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Hbomb needs to do a video on Prometheus. gently caress Star Wars.

i think a lot more people like prometheus than they do the prequels. i'm not the biggest fan but at least it looks good and isn't a failure on pretty much every level. i can actually see why someone likes prometheus.

you could actually do a good critique of hbomb's dark souls 2 video because some of his arguments aren't great but it can't be from someone that thinks ds2 is bad (because it isn't - it's just the weakest souls game but that still makes it better than 99.99 percent of games).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s getting a better rap these days. Either through distance from original expectations or just people appreciating what it was doing. It’s pretty great and holds up well.

The people are dumb but that’s the point. The ones that aren’t are the ones that make it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I liked Dark Souls 2: SOTFS a lot in spite of its many flaws. I feel that it is the most replayable game because, Agility-Tax aside, you can make any build viable unlike 1 or 3. It isn't hopelessly linear like 3 and has a bit more diversity in it's world. Climbing that chain up to Brume Tower was loving amazing, stepping foot in to the Painted World a second time was bleh.

How long is this DK64 Twitch thing going on for? Has he beaten it once already?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I used to think Dark Souls 2 was bad but then I thought about it some more and it was within the context of that series as a whole. So it evolved from Dark Souls 2 is bad to "I was let down by Dark Souls 2". But even when I thought it was "bad", I thought the PvP in it was incredibly entertaining even though dual-wielding that rapid-fire crossbow thing was god-tier broken.

It had a really fun array of spells too.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Jesus, that one section towards the end where they bring up him sitting in on his utterly lovely friends during a "gently caress this guy" podcast is the most horrid thing and really is the ultimate indictment of these people.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dark Souls 2 SOTFS has the DLC areas, and nothing in the game is so bad it isn’t worth getting through to reach those DLC areas, so it’s a good game. QED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus how much money has the Charity stream made since Hbomb fell asleep. :psyduck:

EDIT: A skeleton in a blazer has raised more than 4000 $ for charity.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 19, 2019