Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

stillvisions posted:

FFFFFFUUUUUUUU

That was my "nope, don't give a gently caress anymore" moment of the game where I gave up. I tried a few times with that, trying to interact in a meaningful fashion, before assuming I was missing something, reading online that there's nothing you can do, people just attack you because, and realized at best there was a plan to do something, but they ran out of time on most of the game and just scripted it all as "people shoot you".

Its interesting how many people identify that specific place as when they realize Fallout 4 was gonna suck

Augus posted:

Dark Souls 2 SOTFS has the DLC areas, and nothing in the game is so bad it isn’t worth getting through to reach those DLC areas, so it’s a good game. QED.

Dark Souls 2 had the best PVP of all the souls games and I will always defend that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, I'm unemployed and even I have better things to do with my time than sit through MauLer's hot garbage (although God bless the people who made the 'long critique is not good critique' video). Not that somebody who experiences 'unbridled rage' at Black Panther is somebody I'm going to listen to in the first place, but still.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I just can't imagine his thought processes watching a film. Like, that clip of him whining about the themes of TLJ made it sound like he thinks that a film's plot forms out of the aether and is then mangled by the writers and director to fit the theme, or some poo poo.

Beyond that, half of his loving comments are the most tough-guy logic pedant poo poo. Watching a scene and smugly declaring "Well ~I~ wouldn't have made the mistake that character did" is grounds for getting a slap.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can't believe there is someone who is even worse then Doug Walker for the whole "basically show the entire movie through its highlights while making comments, but make jokes" fair use thing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I disagree with Hbomb's Dark Souls take but lmao at either watching or making an 8 hour rebuttal to it.

Also my position is, and always has been, that Dark Souls 2 is the worst game in the series but only by process of elimination. Its much better than its non-Dark Souls contemporaries and is a great game in its own right.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I don't know who this mauler guy is and i've never seen his videos but considering he's putting footage of 2005 Battlefront 2 into there? I can already guess what ALOT of his points are can't i?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

I don't know who this mauler guy is and i've never seen his videos but considering he's putting footage of 2005 Battlefront 2 into there? I can already guess what ALOT of his points are can't i?

The Battlefront footage doesn't seem to have any relationship to his arguments, it's Star Wars B-roll for the parts where he isn't bothering to illustrate his points.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DS2 had the best weapon in the entire series and all the others are worse for not bringing it back. (Bone Fist)

Also power stance was times better than the mostly useless weapon ability junk of DS3.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

AnEdgelord posted:

I disagree with Hbomb's Dark Souls take but lmao at either watching or making an 8 hour rebuttal to it.

Also my position is, and always has been, that Dark Souls 2 is the worst game in the series but only by process of elimination. Its much better than its non-Dark Souls contemporaries and is a great game in its own right.

Having played through DS2 not too long ago, DS2's problem isn't that it's bad, but that it's just kind of the weakest of the series (I say this not having played DS3 yet, despite having it installed at the moment).

Jimbot posted:

I used to think Dark Souls 2 was bad but then I thought about it some more and it was within the context of that series as a whole. So it evolved from Dark Souls 2 is bad to "I was let down by Dark Souls 2". But even when I thought it was "bad", I thought the PvP in it was incredibly entertaining even though dual-wielding that rapid-fire crossbow thing was god-tier broken.

It had a really fun array of spells too.

One thing I remember being said in the DS2 thread is that, as a "game", DS2 is really good. By that, what I believe they meant is that carrying on from Dark Souls 1, DS2 made a lot of improvements to combat and weapons to make things a lot more versatile (dual-wielding, power-stancing, etc.). On the matter of world-building, area design, lore, and bosses, however, DS2 doesn't match up.

However, by that same token, one of the things that I think turned me (and I assume a lot of other people) off the game at first were the changes to the stat systems. More specifically, if you jump into DS2 right after DS1, stats like Vigor and Adaptability are off-putting, and then there's stuff like Soul Memory as well.

The DS2 thread is worth a look for some more insight into that sort of thing, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SteelMentor posted:

I just can't imagine his thought processes watching a film. Like, that clip of him whining about the themes of TLJ made it sound like he thinks that a film's plot forms out of the aether and is then mangled by the writers and director to fit the theme, or some poo poo.

I once encountered a guy on the Internet who said that the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Buffy is placed under a spell which causes her to believe she is a patient in a mental hospital and all her adventures have been products of her imagination ruined the entire programme.

Why is this so? Because he honestly seemed to believe that no artists actually "create" stories; they only "discover" them. As though all narrative fiction actually exists "somewhere out there" and writers are simply a medium through which it is communicated. By suggesting within a fictional story that its fiction is indeed fictional, you apparently "destroy the verisimilitude" of the story, or something to that effect.

I recall a lot of the same thing coming up in those old TV Tropes mock threads we used to have. :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

i've said it before and you can't loving stop me from saying it again DS2's biggest problem is that it controls terribly and the combat feels like poo poo, and even if it was perfect in every other way that would be enough to ruin it for me. but it isn't perfect in every other way, it's a mess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s plays pretty good so that is hosed up.

It’s also way less messy than 1.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The secret to DS2 being awesome is the adaptability stat

you can just pump in that poo poo and never need a shield and then troll dudes during PVP by just dodging everything until they give up and then they send you really really angry messages on PSN

god I love DS2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dabir posted:

i've said it before and you can't loving stop me from saying it again DS2's biggest problem is that it controls terribly and the combat feels like poo poo, and even if it was perfect in every other way that would be enough to ruin it for me. but it isn't perfect in every other way, it's a mess

ds2 controls better than 1. my dream for a long time was 1 ported onto 2's engine.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I once had a dude yell at me for calling my character a glass cannon because I didn't use the official dswiki glass cannon build or whatever and lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

ds2 controls better than 1. my dream for a long time was 1 ported onto 2's engine.

ok, aside from diagonal rolling, which literally nobody had a problem with being missing until we had it in later games, no. no no no. no. especially the broken-rear end PC port.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah it controls objectively better, going back to 1 after playing 2 is rough.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dabir posted:

ok, aside from diagonal rolling, which literally nobody had a problem with being missing until we had it in later games, no. no no no. no. especially the broken-rear end PC port.

a. effective dual wielding
b. viable non-shield builds
c. power stance
d. adaptability stat, all hail adaptability stat

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Bloodborne really perfected the game feel of the soulsborne stuff

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

Bloodborne really perfected the game feel of the soulsborne stuff

no question. it's the greatest game ever made.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

There are like 2 things Dark Souls 3 did better than 2.

It didn't have adaptability, so there wasn't this feeling that you needed to pump levels into a stat that made only a bit of difference (while the i-frames are near fat roll, it's still a fast roll so you can at least move well). Dark Souls 3 just had the 2 rolls and it was fine.

The Embering made you have bonus health, rather than taking away health when Hollowing. Its fundamentally the same as in Demons, but it is presented in the opposite direction. This way, Embering feels like a buff rather than dying feeling like even more of a punishment.

Nothing else.

Also those DLCs are almost entirely garbage bosses. They even made the Old Monk iteration bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I once encountered a guy on the Internet who said that the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Buffy is placed under a spell which causes her to believe she is a patient in a mental hospital and all her adventures have been products of her imagination ruined the entire programme.

Why is this so? Because he honestly seemed to believe that no artists actually "create" stories; they only "discover" them. As though all narrative fiction actually exists "somewhere out there" and writers are simply a medium through which it is communicated. By suggesting within a fictional story that its fiction is indeed fictional, you apparently "destroy the verisimilitude" of the story, or something to that effect.

I recall a lot of the same thing coming up in those old TV Tropes mock threads we used to have. :v:

Man, watching that episode of Futurama I never thought there'd be someone who'd actually believe that's how life was.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Lindsay is in Hbomb's stream, my life is complete

EDIT: I messaged in the Twitch Chat about how I used her PBS videos in my English class and she said something about it on the stream! :swoon:

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 20, 2019

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls game. Of course, Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne are both better.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

a. effective dual wielding
b. viable non-shield builds
c. power stance
d. adaptability stat, all hail adaptability stat

none of those are controls

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

apparently Jim loving Sterling dropped in on Hbomb’s stream at some point? Gonna have to watch through that vod

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsXtBa_ULfM

Even game modders are dunking on boogie. Frankly compared to his both sides-isms, this is a harmless Boogie take, but he's still an idiot for thinking the star wars license couldn't fall into worse hands than EA. EA is godawful but I would not want it to go to Bethesda.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The highlight of Hbomb's stream is gonna be the couple hours, or so, in which Susie Green - the CEO of Mermaids - popped in to just chat about the charity and hang out.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Could someone whose beaten DK64 break down what is needed for 101% and just how nested the process is?

Example: to 100 sync Assassin's Creed 4 you need to master 45 main-missions, beat 61 side-missions, clear out 53 locations of collectibles, overtake 11 forts, reach 58 viewpoints, dig up 22 chests,, defeat the 4 legendary ships, collect 16 stelae, and open 8 taverns.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Could someone whose beaten DK64 break down what is needed for 101% and just how nested the process is?

Example: to 100 sync Assassin's Creed 4 you need to master 45 main-missions, beat 61 side-missions, clear out 53 locations of collectibles, overtake 11 forts, reach 58 viewpoints, dig up 22 chests,, defeat the 4 legendary ships, collect 16 stelae, and open 8 taverns.

stealing from the speedrun.com rules

"• The in game totals screen must be complete with the following items: 201 Golden Bananas, 40 Banana Medals, 20 Banana Fairies, 10 Battle Crowns, 8 Keys, Nintendo Coin, Rareware Coin
• The 101% movie (the movie with the white background) must play after the credits roll
• File select screen must say 101% after the run
"

he's allegedly trying to get all of the bananas per level instead of just the 75 you offically need for the banana medals. Not sure he's going to be able to keep that up though

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

It's best to hear it from the man himself, but it's WAY more than Assassin's Creed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

201 Golden Bananas (40 for each Kong, plus an extra one you get after doing everything else)
10 Battle Crowns that you get from fighting through horde battles
20 Banana Fairies you must photograph
40 Banana Medals, that you get as a reward for getting 75 out of 100 Bananas for each Kong in each world, for a total of 3000 out of 4000 Bananas you need to collect
8 boss keys
One Nintendo Coin that you get from clearing enough levels of the arcade Donkey Kong game
One Rareware Coin that you get from getting a high enough score in Jetpack

In addition though, Hbomb said he would get every single banana (all 4000) and every single coin (977, one of which was never even found in the game until very recently)

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 20, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wheat Loaf posted:

By suggesting within a fictional story that its fiction is indeed fictional, you apparently "destroy the verisimilitude" of the story, or something to that effect.
I guess he skipped the title and credits.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

It didn't have adaptability,

hey, hey buddy

buddy

gently caress you buddy

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I forgot how fun Hbomberguy's Curious Cat account can be.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

BTW, HBomb is up to 100,000. My god

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

BTW, HBomb is up to 100,000. My god

And now his hashtag is trending at #2 in the UK and #6 in the US on Twitter :allears:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Feel good times. :)

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hey, hey buddy

buddy

gently caress you buddy

I'm just saying, it's better to be set to good adaptability by default.

Also I am completely blown away by how much HBomb has done in the past 29.5 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Grant Kirkhope is on stream!