Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Retardog posted:

For anyone who had questions about Jigsaw’s mask, using art masks as PTSD therapy is a real thing.

I'm aware. Just so far it hasn't been explained is all.

Apparently I'm one of the few that thins it looks pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Episode 2 Considering everything he's gone through already, I was kinda expecting Frank to steal stuff from one of the ambulances for himself before they left the hospital.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao Russo's scarring trauma is so ridiculous, its like something out of Zoolander when he reveals his face in the garage in ep6. They really needed to take the makeup further

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

there should be more dead cops in this

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

BiggerBoat posted:

How did the sniper manage to hit that cop in the stomach when he was inside the car?

I think he had a bit of elevation on him. Plus bullets do weird things when they hit auto glass, so it may have just been luck.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

bring back old gbs posted:

lmao Russo's scarring trauma is so ridiculous, its like something out of Zoolander when he reveals his face in the garage in ep6. They really needed to take the makeup further

If he was half as hosed up as they claimed he'd have permanent facial nerve damage and would at least have a facial droop, slurred speech, or something. He looks like a guy who just needs a plastic surgeon to do some scar revision.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
That was everything I wanted in a punisher season. It ruled. Pretty much all highs, pretty much no lows.
fight in episode 1 was probably my favourite bit, just because of how it built and took Frank with it. Also because 'rough road' made me laugh too :shobon:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

If he was half as hosed up as they claimed he'd have permanent facial nerve damage and would at least have a facial droop, slurred speech, or something. He looks like a guy who just needs a plastic surgeon to do some scar revision.

Agreed, and I didn’t buy the reactions to his face either. My brother went through a plate glass door when we were little (kinda my fault), and ended up with about 300 stitches, a wicked scar down one side of his face, and a smaller one on the other. Never in the entire time that I’ve known him or been around him has anyone ever had a negative reaction. If anything, he got compliments.

As for the reconstruction, I had my face ripped open by a dog from my right tear duct to halfway down my cheek, and other than a slight difference in the shape of my lower right eye (and the missing eyelashes), you’d never know from just looking. Some surgeons are pretty amazing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: ^^ drat dude, you and your brother are hardcore.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

As much as I didn't really care much for Vanilla Sky, Tom Cruises' face comes to mind, and looked a lot better. Russo's scars are just underwhelming. I know they wanted to go more into the psychological scars but this just doesn't work for me. Russo looks like the makeup people ran out of rigid collodion after a few brushes and said "screw it we're done."

Everything else is pretty good so far though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He's also called "Jigsaw" because the scars are all supposed to link together like pieces of a puzzle. I mean, he doesn't need to look like Leatherface, but his scars right now look like a option for scars for a CAW on a WWE video game.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I didn't really mind the superificiality of Russo's scars. I kinda felt like for such a good looking guy even that kind of fairly mild damage can have an outsized effect on his sense of self, particularly if the rest of his personality's all unstable and out of whack thanks to losing his memory and just being kinda hosed up in general even before that. I mean sure he probably should've looked a bit more messed up after having his face brutally grated into a mirror, but in the Punisher universe Frank's incurred enough injuries he should be dead several times over already too, so I feel like comic book rules apply somewhat.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 19, 2019

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Russo had action movie hero scars. It was weak.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I wish Russo had taken that shirt.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah, having Billy be REALLY hosed up Harvey Dent style would have been way better and far more effective. I've been trying to look at it as "this is how Billy sees HIMSELF and 'omg I'm a monster'" when the disfigurement he imagines in his eyes is horrible but overall he's fixed up pretty good.

But really I know it's probably more "good looking actor can't be ugly/wear all this make up every day" and get cost future roles by being unrecognizable.

Meh, I dunno. I chalked up to plastic surgeons and Billy's narcissism so whatever. But it would have been much cooler if he was all Phantom of the Paradise with the mask off.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Davros1 posted:

He did, he just turned it inside out.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I mean scars in this season all around are pretty weak like when we see Frank shirtless in episode 1 and all he has are some super faded cut marks and a very vague suggestion of a bullet hole but that’s it. Which is especially funny given the conversation about him being so beat up in that episode.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frank specced himself so he bleeds five times as much as the average man but because of that he heals so much faster than an average human. He can fully regrow a leg in just 10 years.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Ep 5 fight scene: God drat Frank turned that guy's head into mush. Maybe it's because I've been hit with a 5 pound plate once, but that whole scene was brutal in a way few other fights have been.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Davros1 posted:

:same:

E: later in the episode, at Arthur's house Billy's shirt is on inside out. I think that other goon is right.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 20, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LeafyOrb posted:

I mean scars in this season all around are pretty weak like when we see Frank shirtless in episode 1 and all he has are some super faded cut marks and a very vague suggestion of a bullet hole but that’s it. Which is especially funny given the conversation about him being so beat up in that episode.

seriously no poo poo. I thought the same thing.

I thought in the opening episode Frank Gets Laid scene they were go show his body just completely wrecked beyond belief and the woman was gonna totally freak out leading to some sort of explanation from him.

I think somewhere off screen Castle got injected with super soldier serum or Weapon X something or other because, honestly, motherfucker should barely be able to get out of bed and walk at this point. It's one of my few gripes with the show: Frank's amazing super human healing abilities and it's made even more frustrating and magnified by how easy it would be to write it into the character.

Show him increasingly more hosed up, scarred, wounded and gradually becoming more immobile and stiff but still lethal, stealthy, deadly accurate with a firearm and constantly having to adjust to wounds beyond simply finding some electrical tape. Have him adjust his tactics to compensate for his injuries and think a step further instead of finding healing packs off screen and resetting his health bar between missions.

poo poo, have him popping pain pills and uppers and poo poo to keep him going. Have old old wounds opening up when he fights. Frank bleeding from his rear end cheek while he's wrecking folks. I get that, yeah, he's a big tough guy that can endure poo poo and block out pain but the beatings he takes strain credibility and suspension of disbelief.

Even Matt Murdock needed a Netty Pot.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's not the near-fatal beatings that bother me. It's that his facial bruises last 3-4 scenes before he's all sparkly and ruggedly handsome again.

This guy should be purple and green all over.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Midway through the second episode of the new season. I can't tell if the young main female lead is bad writing or lousy acting.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Just finished the season. I’d give it a C+. Really, just watch the first three episodes and maybe episode 5.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Retardog posted:

Just finished the season. I’d give it a C+. Really, just watch the first three episodes and maybe episode 5.

That's unfortunate to hear.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not even remotely accurate.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
Wildly disagree. This might be my favorite season of any of the Marvel Netflix shows. The action is amazing and it feels like some of the best Punisher stories translated to TV. Joe Bernthal is a fantastic Frank Castle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I love watching Frank Castle and his mutant gene that no one besides Deadpool talks about since they're scared of him.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

It's not the near-fatal beatings that bother me. It's that his facial bruises last 3-4 scenes before he's all sparkly and ruggedly handsome again.

This guy should be purple and green all over.

Some of Matt Murdock's obvious ninja healing chi must've rubbed off on Frank during the crossovers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Midway through the second episode of the new season. I can't tell if the young main female lead is bad writing or lousy acting.

I think both. She's a pretty poorly written character and 5 episodes in its' really bugging me that Frank continues to risk his life over her and seems to have little interest or questions about her story. She's stating to become Precocious Bratty Youngster™ rather fast.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Kevlar vests don’t work that way Frank.

Also this shrink character, jeez what were they thinking.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Back in his Team X days wolverine gave a sample of blood to the US government. He’s a universal donor and due to his healing factor his blood naturally clones itself under the right conditions. Now, all hospitals in the Marvel universe carry this miraculous blood and treatment has become a matter of stabilizing the patient and getting the blood transfer as soon as possible. All recipients heal faster naturally for some time after their hospital visit because of the residual Wolverine blood. People don’t see any reason to mention this because it’s so normal. Healing Blood is just modern medicine since the 40s. Punisher always carries tons of it and transfuses off screen every time he goes from near-dead to fighting shape.

In addition, special forces soldiers receive a small amount of modern super soldier serum. It has less dramatic effects than the stuff given to Steve Rodgers but it’s less dangerous and volatile. They don’t tell the soldiers, it’s just part of their vitamin injections.

After watching this season of Punisher and remembering that it is technically part of the Marvel Universe I was inspired to come up with this justification. Everything makes a lot more sense. Even “Jigsaw's” beautiful, strategically placed, action-hero scars.

This season was all right. I'd rank it below season 1 & 3 of Daredevil, below Punisher season 1, but better than most of the Netflix Marvel stuff.

Episode 10 & 11: Every fight scene with Russo and Frank gets super silly, but the ambush scene where Frank is beat to poo poo and then magically kills 10 men and apparently that was Russo's plan??? Left a bad impression. poo poo was dumb, they should have had Russo pull the guys back and taunt Frank.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I had no idea this new season of Punisher was coming out (Hell I only just caught up on Daredevil Season 3) but having watched episode 1 I'm glad to see the murder bellows are back.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Episode 10 & 11: Every fight scene with Russo and Frank gets super silly, but the ambush scene where Frank is beat to poo poo and then magically kills 10 men and apparently that was Russo's plan??? Left a bad impression. poo poo was dumb, they should have had Russo pull the guys back and taunt Frank.
I don't know, I think it makes sense. Frank is generally pretty surgical in his approach. So Billy needed for Frank to be beaten senseless, disoriented, and in a complete blood rage so that he would spray bullets blindly into the office. Had they simply taunted him I think the lack of time pressure would have rendered the ruse a failure. After all, it's not enough to frame Frank -- Russo has to convince Frank that's he's a senseless killer.

I'm not done with the season yet, but it's in the top tier of the Netflix Marvel shows, in my opinion. Most other seasons ranges from near-terrible (S1 Iron Fist, which was saved from being a trainwreck by secondary characters ad actors who were so much better than the lead), to uneven (S1 Luke Cage, which was amazing and then end with a cartoon villain in an even more laughable suit for a jaw-droppingly bad fight scene), to extremely good but drawn out (S1 Jessica Jones, which could have been amazing but felt padded). S2 Punisher had fewer holy-poo poo moments than, say, S1 Daredevil, but the pacing worked great for me, and despite its reliance on "every healthcare professional has severely hosed-up boundary issues" I'm finding the plotlines solid and well-paced. I like what they did with Russo overall, silly minimal scarring notwithstanding.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Also this shrink character, jeez what were they thinking.

I've... Got nothing.

EDIT: I'm baffled Netflix's last Marvel show decided to go with mixing two narratives that have nothing to do with each other and repeating a villain. It's like Daredevil season 2 all over again. That scene in ep 13 where the detective asks "what does this have to do with Billy Russo" really sums it all up.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 20, 2019

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Just finished season 2 of the Punisher. I sure hope there's going to be a third season. That last episode loving ruled.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Retardog posted:

Agreed, and I didn’t buy the reactions to his face either. My brother went through a plate glass door when we were little (kinda my fault), and ended up with about 300 stitches, a wicked scar down one side of his face, and a smaller one on the other. Never in the entire time that I’ve known him or been around him has anyone ever had a negative reaction. If anything, he got compliments.

As for the reconstruction, I had my face ripped open by a dog from my right tear duct to halfway down my cheek, and other than a slight difference in the shape of my lower right eye (and the missing eyelashes), you’d never know from just looking. Some surgeons are pretty amazing.

is this how you got the name retard dog

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i know someone who fell through a 2nd storey window, and all he got was a perma bump on his head about the size of a pea and a broken wrist.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

ending the last scene ending with frank gunning down teenagers with epic music in the bg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

To clarify, I thought the first three episodes were great, but then it kinda just muddled along. I know it’ll probably get cancelled, but if they did a season 3, they’d really benefit from turning each half into its own story.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

This season was all right. I'd rank it below season 1 & 3 of Daredevil, below Punisher season 1, but better than most of the Netflix Marvel stuff.

Same.

Things I liked: Frank showing off a more forgiving side. He’s ruthless and will cave your face in, and at the same time he’s a father who lost his children and knows how that feels, so he’s more willing to allow someone a chance to turn things around if only so that their kids don’t have to grow up without a father.

Frank trying to get his life back in order and be happy for once. Bernthal is a wonderful actor who can sell the awkwardness that sometimes comes with having those honest heart to heart conversations.

The smaller stakes in that first arc. It was like they said, a classic western tale.

That his enemies were the Russians and fundamentalists. Discount Sean Penn was a pretty good choice for John.

”You need a minute?” “I was waiting on you”

Things I didn’t like: Pretty much anything involving Madani, Dumont, Police SGT, and I felt Russo got sidelined toward the back end. Russo/Dumont’s story and the Fundie/Russian story don’t have anything to do with each other, so it felt like they jumped back and forth every episode when two six or seven-episode series would’ve been better.

Beth? Seriously, Frank was ready to start a new life with her, but she doesn’t get mentioned at all after episode 3

BiggerBoat posted:

I think both. She's a pretty poorly written character and 5 episodes in its' really bugging me that Frank continues to risk his life over her and seems to have little interest or questions about her story. She's stating to become Precocious Bratty Youngster™ rather fast.

This.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 20, 2019