Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Personal Uncle Steve Spook-A-Doodle ranking:

1. Kubrick Shining
2. The Mist
3. Misery
4. Pet Semetary
5. Carrie
6. Shawshank (honorary Spook-A-Doodle)
7. Christine
8. Stand By Me (honorary Spook-A-Doodle)
9. Needful Things
10. IT '17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Apt Pupil. I forgot Apt Pupil. And I can never decide if that's horror or not.

And what's the sci-fi one with Arnold? I'm blanking.

edit: Running Man.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 20, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Speaking of King and TV is Castle Rock good?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

It's fine. Like I wish I could give you more, but as someone who has more than two decades of Stephen King reading under their belt, that's the best I can muster in terms of my opinion of it.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Neo Rasa posted:

As someone with very little King reading done, I can also confirm it's fine. There's one episode in particular that is pretty close to a Masterpiece (which, isn't surprising given that it's almost entirely Sissy Spacek), and the rest of it is definitely competent, but otherwise it's pretty decidedly just fine.

Melanie Lynskey is a loving treasure though and I massively hope she keeps getting roles in horror media because she's way, way too good.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Prowler's a real middle of the road slasher, but the Jersey vibes make it worth it. Also, the gore is straight-up nasty. Tom Savini flexing so hard he should make a workout tape.

Real glad Shudder actually lists what's leaving so I can fill some gaps.

Where do they list that? I can't find it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

It’s boring and nothing happens.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s boring and nothing happens.

I liked it and it has Sissy Spacek in it.

Fart City posted:

Personal Uncle Steve Spook-A-Doodle ranking:

1. Kubrick Shining
2. The Mist
3. Misery
4. Pet Semetary
5. Carrie
7. Christine
9. Needful Things
10. IT '17

1. Kubrick The Shining
2. Misery
3. Pet Semetary
4. Carrie
5.Christine
6. It 17
7. The Stand TV Series
8. Castle Rock
9. The Mist
10. It 90s TV Series

Stand By Me and Shawkshank don't count they a not a Spook a Doodles.

Shawshank is Kings best though. Yes, even more than The Shining.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 20, 2019

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Castle Rock is good, but could have been condensed. The ending also really falters.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Almost Blue posted:

Where do they list that? I can't find it.

It keeps listing a category on my front page that says “Last Chance”.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t know what the point was. I was waiting for cool Stephen King poo poo to happen and nothing did. They just talked about the cool poo poo.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

ThePagey posted:

As someone with very little King reading done, I can also confirm it's fine. There's one episode in particular that is pretty close to a Masterpiece (which, isn't surprising given that it's almost entirely Sissy Spacek), and the rest of it is definitely competent, but otherwise it's pretty decidedly just fine.

Melanie Lynskey is a loving treasure though and I massively hope she keeps getting roles in horror media because she's way, way too good.

I had a little sister and a single mother and was 11 when Ever After came out. My family watched it a lot. I still have... Strong feelings towards Melanie Lynskey. And yes, she's pretty good in this and even better in I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DeimosRising posted:

If you wanna come visit it’s a fun town but the Monroeville mall is barely recognizable now if that’s what you’re into
Sorry to take this long to respond by yeah as someone who uses this mall frequently its amazing how much in the last decade they've scrubbed a lot of the remaining parts of the Dawn of the Dead (the JC Penny going away, the ponds on the atrium) really all that you can really tell about the movie is just the structure of the mall itself since that hasn't changed at all really.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

STAC Goat posted:

The Mist series is however complete garbage and has absolutely nothing to do with the King story.

I'd say out of everything adapted for movie or TV of Stephen King's, that The Mist series is the worst. I don't know how they managed it, but for anything else to beat it out of the bottom of the barrel spot would need concentrate focused effort.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would piss my pants if I got to see Dawn in a theater. I’m seriously considering a trip to Pittsburgh just to visit the mall, in fact.

The mall actually used to have a store dedicated to Zombies and Dawn of the Dead it was kind of a mini museum. However as it is now the mall has been completely pretty much renovated to the point you wouldn't recognize it all other than going to some place that Dawn of the Dead was filmed at.

A better cooler choice would be to visit the house where Martin was filmed at.

215 5th Street, Braddock, Pennsylvania, USA

I think the house is still there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kvlt! posted:

mods still never gave me a loving gnar evil bong avatar but im not bitter

y'know what, i get paid on wednesday, hold on a minute

e: done, Gnaar evil bong avatar achieved

e2: oh my god actually looking at it I kind of feel bad for doing that

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 20, 2019

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hollismason posted:

The mall actually used to have a store dedicated to Zombies and Dawn of the Dead it was kind of a mini museum. However as it is now the mall has been completely pretty much renovated to the point you wouldn't recognize it all other than going to some place that Dawn of the Dead was filmed at.

I had never seen The Dark Half until a couple of years ago and was blindsided when the house in it was very obviously just up the street from my old apartment

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Here’s a Movies Anywhere code for The First Purge:

UYLB K9AF 5STU BHA1

About to watch it myself!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

y'know what, i get paid on wednesday, hold on a minute

e: done, Gnaar evil bong avatar achieved

e2: oh my god actually looking at it I kind of feel bad for doing that

Test post so I can see it.

EDIT: OMG thats actually hilarious i love it. Ive been going through some some lovely health problems recently and that totally had me cracking up! you made my morning dude thank you haha

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'd say out of everything adapted for movie or TV of Stephen King's, that The Mist series is the worst. I don't know how they managed it, but for anything else to beat it out of the bottom of the barrel spot would need concentrate focused effort.

I just don't see the point in even considering it a King adaption. Like even if you like it it just has nothing at all to do with King's story except that a mist exists. But even the basic nature of the mist is something else entirely.

There's a couple of dozen ideas clumsily thrown together in the Mist series, some good and some bad, but none of them came from King.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 20, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

EDIT: OMG thats actually hilarious i love it. Ive been going through some some lovely health problems recently and that totally had me cracking up! you made my morning dude thank you haha

Lol that avatar.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah Braddock is still pretty much the same when Martin was filmed (not in a good way since that area is really impoverished and polluted from one of the last steel mills still active there where they also want to add a fracking pad to it)

And yeah I'm bummed out about the little mini museum going away, it was neat! I guess it wasn't driving that much money to maintain rent and its now an arcade/zombie laser tag thing.

There is a bust of Romero now around where that museum is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

1. Kubrick Shining
2. The Mist
3. Misery
4. Pet Semetary
5. Carrie
7. Christine
9. Needful Things
10. IT '17

Hollismason posted:

1. Kubrick The Shining
2. Misery
3. Pet Semetary
4. Carrie
5.Christine
6. It 17
7. The Stand TV Series
8. Castle Rock
9. The Mist
10. It 90s TV Series

Christine too low on both of these lists imo, should be #2 right behind The Shining.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hollismason posted:

I think my grail is going to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre house, which is now a very cute little coffee house.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Y'all know where you REALLY want to visit...

http://wampumunderground.com/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kvlt! posted:

Feel better Kvlt!, you need to be in top form to defeat James Wan and send his cursed castle back to the chaos realm for another 100 years.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I can understand why the Santo character wouldn't be used again, but they need to like, get the guy who plays Mil Muertes on Lucha Underground or someone and make more pro wrestler+his buddies vs. every fuckin' monster/villain ever movies again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Y'all know where you REALLY want to visit...

http://wampumunderground.com/

Why? Did Kvlt go there in August?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I just don’t know what the point was. I was waiting for cool Stephen King poo poo to happen and nothing did. They just talked about the cool poo poo.
Honestly, one of King's biggest flaws is his lack of restraint. I enjoyed how Castle Rock tries to preserve its mystery. Something a book like It systematically obliterates by the time you finish the novel.

Inversely though, I did really like (BIG SPOILER] the twist towards the end that there really isn't a Pennywise like devil who is making the town rotten, just American fear of the unknown was cool. The final note of questioning of The Kid really didn't add anything for me.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
So i was thinking of watching The Standoff at Sparrow Creek because it got a lot of festival buzz. Before renting it I read the description

After a shooting at a police funeral, a recluse ex-cop and members of his militia must interrogate one another to find the rogue gunmen before copycat attacks start a nationwide war between cops and citizen vigilantes. As suspicions mount within the group, the militiamen find their trust — and their tempers— stretched to capacity in this high-intensity mystery-thriller.

That gave me a bit of pause, and then I looked and saw it's the same company behind Puppet Master: Littlest Reich, Brawl in Cell Block 99, and Dragged Across Concrete. So...at this point it's not just a coincidence, right?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think my grail is going to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre house, which is now a very cute little coffee house.

If you ever go, you should check out the gas station from TCM too. They serve bbq and the inside is a gift shop. They even have a big green hippie van out back.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Friends Are Evil posted:

It keeps listing a category on my front page that says “Last Chance”.

Thanks! I was checking under the collections page.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

As far as post-Scream slasher wannabes go, Valentine ain't terrible. It's got some good kills. Surprised it didn't spawn a dtv franchise.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Am I crazy or was Riki-Oh on Shudder at one point? I felt like finally getting around to it but it isn't there and I want to make sure I'm not crazy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

Am I crazy or was Riki-Oh on Shudder at one point? I felt like finally getting around to it but it isn't there and I want to make sure I'm not crazy.

It was on Shudder and Amazon Prime and Netflix all at one point. Now it's a paid rental only.

I hosted a Spooky Night over the weekend and showed Ginger Snaps to my group.

All the dead dogs in the first act made them hesitant, but they loved it.

Everyone was really grossed out by Ginger's tail, which was an awesome surprise, because that's never really bothered me. Except for when she tries to cut it off.

I love that movie so much. It frustrates me that Emily Perkins and Katherine Isabelle haven't had more illustrious careers. Especially Perkins. She's great in everything. The crowd favorite--surprise surprise--was Mimi Rogers as the clueless mom. I wish we got more closure with her character, since we last see her stuck at the party, looking for her daughters.

They've been recommended to me quite a bit over the years, so I'm finally going to watch the sequels sometime.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

If you ever go, you should check out the gas station from TCM too. They serve bbq and the inside is a gift shop. They even have a big green hippie van out back.

I’m really annoyed that I lived in Texas for a decade and never thought to go there

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I was just in Austin a couple weeks ago, I had no idea I was that close to it. Now I'm butthurt.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

s.i.r.e. posted:

It used to be, yeah. Kind of an odd call, but honestly I feel like they've never really been strictly a horror streaming site, so much as they're basically an Edgelord Movies streaming site.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a pretty great moment. Probably the wokest frank miller ever was

You should read Martha Washington:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
This Burial Ground movie is really something. The “kid” playing Michael is far more off putting than any of the zombies.