Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jake is very big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God I really hope she goes to see that Literally One Direction Wattpad Fanfiction That A Legitimate Movie Studio Made An Actual Movie Out Of movie when it hits theaters. I need her thoughts on that one. Same with Dan.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Jake is very big.

the man was Good-Size

e: goodness the spontaneously appearing Antifa

ee: Jake is very big

Alaois fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 20, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The Taxxon guy suddenly doing a segment shirtless halfway through is some cringey poo poo. Reminded me of that loser guy doing a youtube vid while taking a bath.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

the man was Good-Size

e: goodness the spontaneously appearing Antifa

ee: Jake is very big

PLEASE do not reveal the shocking twist.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
black-"cladded", amirite?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

PLEASE do not reveal the shocking twist.

there's so many of them and they're all really good

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I groaned when the Audie Murphy story suddenly showed up in the book, explaining what a real MAN does by being MANLY and not being a snowflake.

Jenny's response was perfect, aside from not mentioning how not-big Audie was. Terrible book, excellent break down video.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls game. Of course, Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne are both better.

I read this while I was scrolling through the thread and my knee-jerk reaction was to disagree but, like, in retrospect... maybe Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls game? I definitely agree Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are both better, but looking back over the Dark Souls games specifically, I think I might have had the most actual fun playing DS2.

That's... huh. That's a pretty big shift in my opinion over time right there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Demon Souls is really, really bad. It’s just Dark Souks 1 but even clunkier.

Though I played it last so I don’t have that nostalgia to cover up its glaring flaws

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Demon Souls ever removed itself from the legal quagmire of its inception and onto modern platforms and PC we would be blessed. If they could make a few inexpensive tweaks to World Tendency and Weapon-smithing, even better.

Tower of Latria was so loving good. The game itself is surprisingly small compared to the sequels, with only 12 actual levels.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though I played it last so I don’t have that nostalgia to cover up its glaring flaws

I played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls (but before 2 or 3) and still loved it. I don't know if I can really explain why. I think it just came down to the world and atmosphere--something about it's style and the general vibe of playing it really works for me better. It's been a really long time, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

Jake is very big.

Jakes needs an education

Also man I hope 'let's laugh at right wing insane books' becomes a more mainstream youtube thing. The people right wingers treat as intellectuals/cool guys are literally too stupid to write books and it needs to be pointed out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FLVnzMBIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE7y7DnFC3g

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Demon's Souls is really good. It has a very overtly old-school D&D feel and lore that for better and worse gets muddied in the later games. Dragons and stuff show up in the Dark Souls series as well, but I always felt like they're slightly out of place with the mood of that series, and more of a callback to Demon's Souls. The Tower of Latria remains the best area in all of the games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Someone wrote a book about the schizophrenic bogeyman delusions that nerds on the internet come up with. And sold it for money.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

Someone wrote a book about the schizophrenic bogeyman delusions that nerds on the internet come up with. And sold it for money.

my friend that's been a genre long before the internet

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
DS2 was the only Souls game that had me often questioning what exactly I was doing, why and what the things I was fighting against had to do with anything. The entire game felt really disjointed to me, even if it did improve on some things.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I loved DS 1, and I went on to love 3 and Bloodborne, but I never made it far into 2 before getting annoyed and giving up. I’m not sure exactly why, but everything about it just felt worse than its predecessor.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

my friend that's been a genre long before the internet

I need to get in on this. I don't have to believe what I write, and finally I can get out of retail.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Demons does the best job of nailing its tone, I think. It creates a world so completely ruined that the question "should it all just be ended" is worth more thought than any other media I've seen ask that question.

Archer666 posted:

DS2 was the only Souls game that had me often questioning what exactly I was doing, why and what the things I was fighting against had to do with anything. The entire game felt really disjointed to me, even if it did improve on some things.

Ironically fulfilling the old lady's words at the beginning of the game (I know this is not like, going to make you respect what the game was doing and was perhaps just a thematically happy accident, I just think that's funny)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

I need to get in on this. I don't have to believe what I write, and finally I can get out of retail.

right wing survivalist fantasy is genuinely profitable duder if you can stomach writing like 500 pages of "AND THEN THE BLACK, MUSLIM, ANTIFA THUG CALLED THE SOLDIER A FASCIST, SO THE SOLDIER EMPTIED THE ENTIRE CLIP OF HIS PISTOL INTO THE TERRORIST THUG'S FACE, BUT THEN THE MEDIA CALLED THIS HERO A BAD GUY, LIKE ALL JEWS DO TO PATRIOTS" you can probably at least make a little scratch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

right wing survivalist fantasy is genuinely profitable duder if you can stomach writing like 500 pages of "AND THEN THE BLACK, MUSLIM, ANTIFA THUG CALLED THE SOLDIER A FASCIST, SO THE SOLDIER EMPTIED THE ENTIRE CLIP OF HIS PISTOL INTO THE TERRORIST THUG'S FACE, BUT THEN THE MEDIA CALLED THIS HERO A BAD GUY, LIKE ALL JEWS DO TO PATRIOTS" you can probably at least make a little scratch.

You forgot that they need to be a mentally-broken sociopath because they're a COOL VETERAN SOLDIER MAN, WHO'S SEEN THE BAD STUFF IN IRAQ.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Seems simple enough :hmmyes:

Also my christ this story loving blows. This is some anime self insert fanfiction stuff.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wait, so is Hbombs stream just the 24/7 skeleton podcast now? :swoon:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Ironically fulfilling the old lady's words at the beginning of the game (I know this is not like, going to make you respect what the game was doing and was perhaps just a thematically happy accident, I just think that's funny)

That does kinda keep me wondering at times. I get what they were for, but I can't really say if they've succeeded at it and it doesn't work for me, or if they failed at fleshing out the idea so its kinda half there and half not.

Something that I do like is this one theory that your characters memory is disintegrating and what you're seeing can't be trusted. Like when you travel from Majula to that one place with all those kneeling, passive knights. When you look back, you can see Majula in the distance when all you did was go into a small cave on one side and come on the other end. Or the windmill elevator that ends in a vulcano when it doesn't seem to be possible. Like it was a longer journey, but your character's mind is just stapling event A to B to fill the holes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Demon's Souls did world design really well. Minus the poison swamp poo poo but even then, the atmosphere there was pretty fantastic - it was suitably gross and filthy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

The old lady at the start of the game is basically telling you that the designers bought into the hype and made DS2 Really Hard and you're going to have no fun with it, I'm not sure if that's a theme so much as it is mockery

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was not quite as Turner Diaries as I was afraid it would be, but way more that than I was comfortable with. And holy moly what a cascade of twists that continues past the end of the story.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Demon's Souls gameplay is indeed a bit janky, being the first game in the series, but the world design is amazing and I love it.

I couldn't get into Dark Souls 1, but when I played Demons' Souls I fell in love with the series.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

I read this while I was scrolling through the thread and my knee-jerk reaction was to disagree but, like, in retrospect... maybe Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls game? I definitely agree Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are both better, but looking back over the Dark Souls games specifically, I think I might have had the most actual fun playing DS2.

That's... huh. That's a pretty big shift in my opinion over time right there.

This exactly: Dark Souls 2 is the one I had the most fun playing. I enjoyed the changes to the feel of combat, and I especially enjoyed a lot of the metagame elements like adaptability and how the level-up screen actually showed you what the result of your levelling would do AND EXPLAINED IT FULLY IN THE HELP TOOLS?!?!?!?! 1 and 3 have areas where they win out over 2, but 2 is the most consistently fun for me to play and I don't mind it being more videogamey in some aspects because, well, it's a videogame.

It also is the only one of the three games to have a coherent premise and narrative for the most part (closer to Demon's and Bloodborne in that regard) instead of being just a bunch of cool ideas stuck in a blender and left for youtube people to wrestle into coherence. The parts of the story/premise that fail are the ones that are taken from DS1 and seem to be in there to justify calling it a sequel.

Basically hbomberguy's video on it is 100% correct and the reason I will tolerate his dumb takes on RLM.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

I played it last too
It’s hella jank yeah but the level design and atmosphere are still excellent

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Something that I do like is this one theory that your characters memory is disintegrating and what you're seeing can't be trusted. Like when you travel from Majula to that one place with all those kneeling, passive knights. When you look back, you can see Majula in the distance when all you did was go into a small cave on one side and come on the other end. Or the windmill elevator that ends in a vulcano when it doesn't seem to be possible. Like it was a longer journey, but your character's mind is just stapling event A to B to fill the holes.

Hollowing in Dark Souls 2 is pretty explicitly coded after Alzheimer's so I'm pretty sure that is very much the intention of the muddy physics of the area transitions. It's much harder to simulate the character losing memories of things when you yourself will remember everything, but the other hollow characters make it much more clear what they are going for.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

I'm shocked that no one's made a live reaction thread about this.

Also, notable British man, is totally not mad about this. He's actually laughing, in fact.

I'm not sure you can call him British. I wonder how much Linehan actually knows about the work Mermaids do anyway.

That's some amazing work by H.Bomberguy.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

The old lady at the start of the game is basically telling you that the designers bought into the hype and made DS2 Really Hard and you're going to have no fun with it, I'm not sure if that's a theme so much as it is mockery

Dark Souls 2 definitely starts the trend of From being high on their own supply, though it is much much worse in 3. Bloodborne, too, but it gets away with it because it balances the player character to put up with it, outside of stuff like the Defiled Chalice.

E: this is why I'm hyped for Sekiro, because it looks like it takes more cues from both Bloodborne and, weirdly, Revengeance, so the current crop of From enemies seems less egregious to me.

Trojan Kaiju fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 20, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Give me a lady-ninja and we'll talk.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Give me a lady-ninja and we'll talk.

The Senran Kagura aisle is that a-way, sir. Bit of a slippery floor there, mind your step.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Archer666 posted:

I somewhat liked Glass. It was disappointing storywise that was bordering on a trash fire, but watching McAvoy's and Willis' characters was fun. I also enjoy the setting and how its trying to retain some realism and not go full on comic book weirdness. Willis is super strong and has super stamina, but he's still just an old dude in the end. McAvoy in his Beast form is just loving crazy cannibal roid man. Mister Glass is smart, but not Reed Richards "I'm gonna create a singularity using string cheese and this pencil using science" super smart.

In the end, I felt it was a nice contrast to regular super hero movies. Watching Dan's video and how he describes the scenes, I can totally understand why he dislikes it.

Mark Kermode agrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkjJic3X7zo

I saw it at a preview screening after I won a double pass, so I got to see it for free, so how I feel about it might not have been the same if I'd paid for it. Now that I've gotten that disclaimer out of the way, I actually quite enjoyed it as well. I think it does require a degree of buy-in from the audience and it didn't have the issue I had with Unbreakable, which was "oh, it turns out I have superpowers. Aw dang, I'm going to react to this in the glummest way possible." :negative:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Apparently AOC is going to be on Hbomber's stream :stare:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hbomb is awake and Chelsea Manning is in the chat again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I once encountered a guy on the Internet who said that the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where Buffy is placed under a spell which causes her to believe she is a patient in a mental hospital and all her adventures have been products of her imagination ruined the entire programme.

Why is this so? Because he honestly seemed to believe that no artists actually "create" stories; they only "discover" them. As though all narrative fiction actually exists "somewhere out there" and writers are simply a medium through which it is communicated. By suggesting within a fictional story that its fiction is indeed fictional, you apparently "destroy the verisimilitude" of the story, or something to that effect.

I recall a lot of the same thing coming up in those old TV Tropes mock threads we used to have. :v:

There used to be* a big group of fans calling themselves "Soulbonders" who believed that 1) every single piece of fiction is literally true because Multiverse Theory and 2) they were reincarnated souls of various characters. Usually anime and video games, naturally.

A fair amount of people seem to believe that creators are just some kind of medium channeling preexisting stories from the ether, instead of people who are just good at putting together a sequence of events they made up. I think the idea is just awe at the skills of someone creative, but it's pretty insulting.

*I don't know if they still have those particular beliefs; I haven't kept up on them but last I checked they were progressing more toward something vaguely spiritual and not requiring a story to actually be a thing that happened.