Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Revalis Enai posted:

Oh my god the narrator needs to STFU. There's more narration in this episode than a whole drat season of Kaiji.
Beyond that, the show is okay so far.

The hyper enthusiastic narration of their mind games is my favorite part so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It feels very appropriate that their incredibly over the top overthinking simple things is accompanied by an incredibly over the top narration.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Rewatching this and the part with the rice and the miso soup has an ost that has to be referencing the Winter Sonata main theme right? The melodic motifs are way too similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pisbO7J_AYs

the scene in question for better comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTch7PypldY&t=100s

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 15, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gmq posted:

It feels very appropriate that their incredibly over the top overthinking simple things is accompanied by an incredibly over the top narration.

Personally I would make a distinction between the "play-by-play" narration and the narrator literally repeating "this is a battle of wits between geniuses!" like 6 times in the same episode. The narrator is a key element of the humor but needs to be focused a little better. As I've already said though, I'm guessing that the repetition was just because this is the first episode and they were making a specific joke about that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta be honest, for most of the 1st episode:
  1. I could barely hold in the laughter.
  2. Could not stop thinking how Pres/Shirogane's VA sounds a lot like Tomokazu Seki at points.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It does amuse me how much was put into the split second frame of Shirogane looking like he's about to be murdered because of the impending (imaginary) "How Cute..."

I always knew he dreaded it but the anime's depiction of him really sold that those two words are like a phobia to him.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/anime_kaguya/status/1085832991002132480

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ED

https://streamable.com/h7fyw

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Next week is

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Episode 2 seems to have fixed most of the complaints people had about the subtitles. No more "Shirogane" and "how cute" is used instead of changing the translation.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

gmq posted:

Episode 2 seems to have fixed most of the complaints people had about the subtitles. No more "Shirogane" and "how cute" is used instead of changing the translation.

god bless

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lol it's a bit weird that they adapted the second intro from when the manga switched to a weekly magazine

edit: ok this detail kind of makes it 100% better

Shirogane's character model was totally changed from episode 1 to reflect how he started looking in the weekly chapters. Sharper features, more prominent eye bags.

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 19, 2019

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

El Burbo posted:

lol it's a bit weird that they adapted the second intro from when the manga switched to a weekly magazine

Super weird. Good episode apart from the repeating things.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

El Burbo posted:

edit: ok this detail kind of makes it 100% better

Shirogane's character model was totally changed from episode 1 to reflect how he started looking in the weekly chapters. Sharper features, more prominent eye bags.

It's basically a reference to when they did that switch in the manga which is also why it included the intro again.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This ep was an improvement over the first one imo (which I still liked btw). The last scenario in particular killed me.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

It's basically a reference to when they did that switch in the manga which is also why it included the intro again.
I did not know of this! That's rad. :dance:

And very cute. :3:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I know why it's there, but the second intro seems unnecessary in this context

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope the cat ears chapter is part of the adaptation this season.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It has a different pair of galaxy brain plans at the start. Haven't had a chance to watch yet, did they sub those this week?

E: Oh they didn't use them

Dabir fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 19, 2019

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Oh my God, this episode slayed me! The Kashiwagi part was especially on-point! :allears: Heretoforth begins the suffering of twintail girl in earnest!

Anime is good, y'all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This show is ridiculously cute and funny

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 19, 2019

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Haha, I love the bit with the president falsetto voicing the girls and just giving up on the third using his almost normal voice.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ChronoReverse posted:

Haha, I love the bit with the president falsetto voicing the girls and just giving up on the third using his almost normal voice.

That part left me cackling for a quite a while.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ishigami finally got to cameo, albeit as a blur in the mountain fantasy.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Not only did the subs for episode 2 take into account people's complaints, but after checking episode 1 on CR, I notice they also redid the subs for that one. You have your "How Cute"s and names restored, and a few of the weirder lines were redone. Here's one of the fixed lines

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The beginning of the tragedy of Maki

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Allarion posted:

I was very amused by all the bullshit advice basically hitting the mark.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Oh and the anime website updated with two new character profiles

Nagisa Kashiwagi

and

Kashiwagi's Boyfriend

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The first part didn't do much for me, and not just because of the repeat content.

But the second and third part destroyed me so all is forgiven.

The thing I love most about this show so far is that despite trying to sell themselves as mind-gaming elitists, they're both ultimately hormone-addled adolescents blundering their way through their feelings for each other.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The third segment was absolutely brilliant and Aoi Koga's performance when behind the door listening to two stupid boys talk was just magical :allears:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

The thing I love most about this show so far is that despite trying to sell themselves as mind-gaming elitists, they're both ultimately hormone-addled adolescents blundering their way through their feelings for each other.
Yeah, that should be obvious by now so I can post this author Q&A:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This is so Shaft it hurts.

EDIT - Actually to be more specific it's so Hidamari Sketch it hurts.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 20, 2019

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

This is so Shaft it hurts.

EDIT - Actually to be more specific it's so Hidamari Sketch it hurts.

Not wide enough.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Allarion posted:

Her suffering is our entertainment.

Indiana_Krom posted:

According to a poll asking what shoujo manga clichés girls (in Japan, mind) would want happen to them in real life, the kabedon was voted as one of the top answers, which makes this even more hilarious.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Indiana_Krom posted:

A lesser comedy would have had him fail uselessly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wall bangs are the best.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/keirenkun/status/1011626627321565185?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0wXJiWG70E